Detective Comics #23 Review

CROD and TFDutchman review each week's Batbooks!

Postby TFDutchman » Aug 9th, 2013, 10:41 am

Written by: John Layman Art by: Jason Fabok
Back-Up Written by: John Layman Art by: Andy Clarke

Summary:
Spoiler: show
*To be added*

Story: Another good issue from Layman with some strong writing though for me personally I thought the pace was a quite a bit faster than that of the previous issue. Layman seems to be gearing towards a big showdown between Batman and Wrath rather quickly. From Batman's encounter with Scorn in the last issue and knowing nothing about the Wrath, suddenly we're launched straight into a confrontation between the two. No middle-ground between not knowing about Wrath to suddenly knowing everything about him and suspecting that he's Caldwell. I feel that there could've been something else in-between to provide a smoother transition between Issue 22, Annual 2 and then Issue 23.

Art: Fabok's art is once again beautiful with some fantastic colouring and Clarke's work on the back-up story is consistently great. Not much at all I can fault about the artwork. It's great to look at and compliments Layman's writing.

Printing Fault: I noticed a rather noticable and obvious problem with this issue. When Bruce and Alfred meet with Caldwell, on the same page that Bullock leaves, the final panel on the page very clearly has Bruce's and Caldwell's Speech Bubbles and Dialogue mixed around the wrong way.

Rating: 4/5. A strong issue, but not as strong as 22. I'm loving Layman's writing and Fabok and Clarke's art, but the feeling of a missing middle ground between the last issue and this issue, and fast pace storytelling make this a step down from the quality of the previous issue.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: Detective Comics #23 Review

Postby Pieter » Aug 10th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I've heard good things about Detective I might pick this storyline up in trade.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Re: Detective Comics #23 Review

Postby Trueman0510 » Aug 25th, 2013, 4:52 pm

I've only recently jumped on to Detective Comics and have to say that I'm absolutely loving it! The writing and artwork are both fantastic and the fast pace really leaves you wanting more!
Trueman0510

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Return to Arkhamverse.com Comic Reviews