Zack Synder to consult Frank Miller on Superman vs. Batman

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Zack Synder to consult Frank Miller on Superman vs. Batman

Postby The New Blueguy » Aug 1st, 2013, 3:48 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/18549-report-f ... movie.html

This could be really good or really bad...
The New Blueguy

Favourite Villain: The Clock King
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: Zack Synder to consult Frank Miller on Superman vs. Batm

Postby Quinn » Aug 1st, 2013, 4:11 pm

Really good likely.
I loathe you. You have no manners, you're arrogant, and conceited, and I wrote you a letter about it, in fact.
Quinn

Favourite Villain: Plotz
Favourite Graphic Novel: Plotz

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 1st, 2013, 4:58 pm

I don`t think involving Frank Miller in the production of Superman vs Batman is such a good idea .... his last comics were pretty terrible .

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 1st, 2013, 5:26 pm

Talking with the man who wrote the most overrated batman story of all time, the man that wrote also some of the worst batman storys ever.........defenitley not the best idea.

Its really hard see any kind of red line or so at that point,i really hope that the movie will blow all my doubts away, currently im not to excited for it.
Mani-Man

Postby Chob » Aug 1st, 2013, 6:07 pm

"The most questionable thing I did was make Superman a government agent. If this had been a Superman story, I'd never have done that - and I know that, because I have a Superman story I want to tell someday. In this story, Batman was the hero, so the world was built around him." -Frank Miller

But still, I don't see what he could add on the matter even if he is an admitted Superman fan, though his body of work might make you think otherwise. Why not consult a Grant Morrison or Mark Waid? Even with their mixed reactions towards Man of Steel, they have a far better grasp of the character. Hell talk to anyone that has written a good Superman run. The Dark Knight Returns came out 27 years ago and both The Dark Knight Rises and the animated film have thrust it into the spotlight again, but not every new piece of DC media that comes out needs to be inspired by that book.
Chob

Postby BrainyAche » Aug 1st, 2013, 7:00 pm

Just don't make Batman old and Superman young :( I also don't want that the Batman movie to base on The Dark Knight Returns. But if they decide to make Batman old then I want Michael Keaton or Clint Eastwood as Batman.
BrainyAche

Postby Mr. E » Aug 1st, 2013, 8:33 pm

I don't think that's exactly what they're going for.
I'm the beginning of end, the end of time and space. Essential to creation, I surround every place.
Mr. E

Favourite Villain: All of them
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby Joeker » Aug 1st, 2013, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about this. There's still two years to go. The movie is not going to be adapted from TDKR. Batman isn't going to be old. You never know, Zack might consult with others aswell.

Why not check out my fanart?
http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=21259
Latest sketch: Peter Capaldi as The Doctor
Joeker

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Quinn » Aug 1st, 2013, 10:14 pm

Mani-Man wrote:Talking with the man who wrote the most overrated batman story of all time,

Frank Miller wrote Hush?

Seriously though. Frank's a good writer, and when he's 'bad', he's at least being creative with the material he's got that it can actually be quite entertaining in a sense, like Holy Terror which shouldn't have been given such a bad time because he was giving the book the view the old stories in the 30s and 40s had on the Nazis, they're just the bad guys that aren't going to be very much fleshed out and are meant to be taken down by the good guys which were usually the Americans like Captain America.

Exact same lines he followed. And the political views he showed in the stories of his before that also show he's shining light onto the bad side of the US as well, so he's not attacking one group of people that reviewers say he is, because he's just writing Terror in the way it would have been written back in the golden age. Pretty sure he even said similar in an interview a few years back.

The problem most have with his stories is he doesn't give you everything, most comics now days show you everything, and are quite up front on what they're trying to say, and their meanings, backgrounds, and other views don't go further than there's a bad guy trying to take over, and a hero needs to stop them before it gets worse, with character growth thrown in.

When Frank has that, but he squeezes in a lot else, mostly political opinions, but also citizens' reactions, and bonds with characters that aren't so easily stated on where they sit.

What's he best at is making the world feel realistic, and how he does it is simple he doesn't treat many of his stories like they're in one genre, that they have to stick to darkness, etc, kind of how Grant Morrison does his work, Batman Inc being an example of that.

They can go from lighthearted; Carrie's Robin, All Star's Green Lantern meeting. To dark and gritty; Joker from TDKReturns scenes at the funfair, Joker's killing in All Star. With different normals mixed in, ranging from funny Mutants, to the serious movie theater killer, that was quite a haunting page. And this is how it is in the real world, something like Hush doesn't capture in the slightest from my memory of reading it.

But I'm not going to try to make people Miller fans because there's a bit to dislike I can see, like how Terror was too action focused, and missed a great opportunity on dialogue in places. But I will voice this little opinion on how I feel about the guy that a friend added to which helped me to understand him a lot more than I did when first reading TDKReturns, and why I consider him being one of my favorite writers and that I honestly believe this film to be in safe hands with him on board the consulting team.
I loathe you. You have no manners, you're arrogant, and conceited, and I wrote you a letter about it, in fact.
Quinn

Favourite Villain: Plotz
Favourite Graphic Novel: Plotz

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Aug 1st, 2013, 10:49 pm

I'm not sure if that's a good idea, considering his last stories, and his "hate" for Superman, that sounds more bad than good.
Chob wrote:But still, I don't see what he could add on the matter even if he is an admitted Superman fan, though his body of work might make you think otherwise. Why not consult a Grant Morrison or Mark Waid? Even with their mixed reactions towards Man of Steel, they have a far better grasp of the character. Hell talk to anyone that has written a good Superman run.

Agreed, they should bring Grant Morrison or Bruce Timm or Paul Dini or Geoff Johns or Jeph Loeb or all of them to discuss about the story. Frank Miller is not the only writer that made a battle between the two, and definetly he is not best option to help with the movie story, we need someone that doesn't put Batman or Superman over the other during the whole movie, and that also keep a balance between the two without making any of the heroes a villain to the public.
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Killa_Moff » Aug 1st, 2013, 11:20 pm

Pleaaaaase let Miller give some crazy advice! I'm talking All Star Batman & Robin crazy!!!
Killa_Moff

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: The Mad Monk

Postby Mr Wayne » Aug 1st, 2013, 11:54 pm

Quinn wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:Talking with the man who wrote the most overrated batman story of all time,

Frank Miller wrote Hush?.

Woah. Do. Not. Dis. The. Hush. Novels.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby The Oracle » Aug 2nd, 2013, 2:02 am

If this sucks (I'd rather it didn't, but this makes me lose a bit of faith).....I really hope it sucks spectacularly now. Like, All-Star Batman on screen bad.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby ShadowRaven » Aug 2nd, 2013, 2:22 am

Mr Wayne wrote:
Quinn wrote:

Frank Miller wrote Hush?.

Woah. Do. Not. Dis. The. Hush. Novels.

Sorry, they are kinda overrated IMO. But that's a rant for another time. The fact that he's talking to Miller makes me uneasy, but it's not enough to start panicking. Hopefully they'll consult others as well, like Morrison and Dini who can write both Superman and Batman well.
ShadowRaven

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby BrainyAche » Aug 2nd, 2013, 10:16 am

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/ ... 9056000003
Was I right? I hate that I'm always right in something that I don't want to be right. Why cant they use the Hush story line? I think that if the whole reboot is set in The Dark Knight Returns then its really massed up since its just a novel there's not that much to do about it plus in that story line Green Arrow is an old archer with one arm. The Flash appears first in the Arrow series so its kinda tie in the Justice League universe and in Arrow they didn't get to that point where he lost his arm.
So many good story lines and they choose The Dark Knight Returns I'm also wondering how will they continue after that.
And in The Dark Knight Returns, Superman and Batman known each other for years and as we know Batman and Superman haven't even meet each other in the movie.
I wonder what happened already with Batman if he will be 40 years old in the movie. (It could be older I know 40 years are not the end of the world but if they decide to make Batman 50 or 60)

Now if they really gonna do this with the movie then I want Michael Keaton so even if I'm not that interested in this adaptation I'm still gonna watch it because of Michael Keaton return as the Batman.
And don't say that it would be massed up with Keaton as Batman because the movie is already massed up so it doesn't really matter.
I cant wait for the
Spoiler: show
Young Justice and The Batman
movie after this.
BrainyAche

Next

Return to DC Comics Movies