The DC Cinematic Universe - Tom Hardys Secret Project Is?

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Re: The DC Cinematic Universe - Tom Hardys Secret Project Is

Postby ShadowRaven » Nov 27th, 2015, 6:59 am

JordanT4021 wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:Not necessarily. I've been thinking lately that the Batman books should include more supernatural elements and give Gotham a slightly more Lovecraftian feel. Batman can do horror as well as mystery and crime drama. I mean the character has been taking down vampires and giant monsters since day 1. Plus it often feels like there's a gap between Batman's capabilities in a solo story and his capabilities in a Justice League story. (Compare BTAS/TNBA and Justice League/JLU for example) Having Batman take on more supernatural enemies and metahumans in addition to his psychological villains would help bridge that gap. And the Lovecraftian spin would explain why nothing in Gotham ever stays fixed.

I'm not sure about that. I think if you want a film focusing on magic and monsters, then Wonder Woman is the way to go. It fits much better with the characters mythical background. Mystery and suspense is much better for Batman instead of a monster feature. Would we really want to see a Batman film where he hunts down vampires like Dracula or other campy monsters from the Golden Age. I'd much rather see a thrilling case with the Court of Owls with horror elements involved. I didn't mean I don't want to see metahumans in a Batman film because I'd love to see Mr Freeze, Killer Croc and Clayface. However, I do think Poison Ivy's power could be limited. Obviously, Batman would have to win and so we couldn't have Ivy branch out (pardon the pun) and either take out or take over Gotham. If she was put up against other Metas and other exceptional fighters, then she could show her true potential.

There's a world of difference between "magic and monsters" and "Lovecraftian horror". The supernatural elements in Wonder Woman's stories lean more towards high adventure and fantasy. I envision Gotham's supernatural elements falling somewhere between The X-Files and Silent Hill. With a dash of Twilight Zone on occasion. And the Court of Owls, plus groups like the League of Shadows/Assassins and the Order of St. Dumas, and the history of Arkham Asylum and its inmates are all a perfect fit for that kind of take on the Bat mythos. Gotham City is host to a nameless dread that wears a million faces. And you don't have to reduce metahumans' powers for Batman to beat them. The character is, again, similar to Odysseus in that regard. Beating the odds and doing the impossible is his thing.

And yes, actually I would totally like to see Batman take on Dracula. They made an animated film about that and it was awesome. I like to think he'd keep a vial of Dracula's blood in storage, in case it ever came in handy later.
ShadowRaven

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby The Oracle » Nov 27th, 2015, 8:55 am

BrunoBKMazing wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Following the release of the first image from the Wonder Woman movie, DC and Warner Brothers are keeping the momentum of female heroes strong.

A new rumor suggests that Black Canary will be making a debut in the DC Extended Universe, and no, its won't be Caity Lotz or Katie Cassidy of the DC TV Universe.

According to the rumor, actresses Abbey Lee of Mad Max: Fury Road and Alona Tal or Burn Notice and Supernatural are being eyed for the role of Black Canary. The debut is said to come in Justice League: Part One or Two.

The rumor also suggests that Black Canary plans are not limited to Justice League ensemble films but also a Birds of Prey movie which is in development. The Birds of Prey is a group comprised of a number of female DC heroes, including Black Canary and Barbra Gordon, who is likely being introduced in Batman v. Superman and portrayed by Jena Malone. We recently asked Malone to share some details on her upcoming DC role, but she couldn't share any.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters March 25, 2016.

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/23/actresses-rumored-for-black-canary-role-in-justice-league-possib/

Latino. Review. ...
I don't buy that. AT ALL.

...even though it won't happen. :(
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby JordanT4021 » Nov 27th, 2015, 5:41 pm

ShadowRaven wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:Not necessarily. I've been thinking lately that the Batman books should include more supernatural elements and give Gotham a slightly more Lovecraftian feel. Batman can do horror as well as mystery and crime drama. I mean the character has been taking down vampires and giant monsters since day 1. Plus it often feels like there's a gap between Batman's capabilities in a solo story and his capabilities in a Justice League story. (Compare BTAS/TNBA and Justice League/JLU for example) Having Batman take on more supernatural enemies and metahumans in addition to his psychological villains would help bridge that gap. And the Lovecraftian spin would explain why nothing in Gotham ever stays fixed.

I'm not sure about that. I think if you want a film focusing on magic and monsters, then Wonder Woman is the way to go. It fits much better with the characters mythical background. Mystery and suspense is much better for Batman instead of a monster feature. Would we really want to see a Batman film where he hunts down vampires like Dracula or other campy monsters from the Golden Age. I'd much rather see a thrilling case with the Court of Owls with horror elements involved. I didn't mean I don't want to see metahumans in a Batman film because I'd love to see Mr Freeze, Killer Croc and Clayface. However, I do think Poison Ivy's power could be limited. Obviously, Batman would have to win and so we couldn't have Ivy branch out (pardon the pun) and either take out or take over Gotham. If she was put up against other Metas and other exceptional fighters, then she could show her true potential.

There's a world of difference between "magic and monsters" and "Lovecraftian horror". The supernatural elements in Wonder Woman's stories lean more towards high adventure and fantasy. I envision Gotham's supernatural elements falling somewhere between The X-Files and Silent Hill. With a dash of Twilight Zone on occasion. And the Court of Owls, plus groups like the League of Shadows/Assassins and the Order of St. Dumas, and the history of Arkham Asylum and its inmates are all a perfect fit for that kind of take on the Bat mythos. Gotham City is host to a nameless dread that wears a million faces. And you don't have to reduce metahumans' powers for Batman to beat them. The character is, again, similar to Odysseus in that regard. Beating the odds and doing the impossible is his thing.

And yes, actually I would totally like to see Batman take on Dracula. They made an animated film about that and it was awesome. I like to think he'd keep a vial of Dracula's blood in storage, in case it ever came in handy later.

I like the thought of The court of Owls or the League or the Order of St Dumas but would that be classed as lovecraftian?
I personally think you do. If Poison Ivy were to destroy the entirety of Gotham city, which she probably could, then Batman's ability as a hero is undermined. Even if he succeeds at the end, his victory has been hindered. He failed to save the city. And we've already seen that with Superman so they cant really do it again.
If that's your opinion then thats great, and I don't totally hate the Dracula idea, but I think there are a lot more genuinely great villains from the source material that need there own film debuts before we start looking into areas like that.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby AW8 » Dec 31st, 2015, 7:26 am

http://batman-news.com/2015/12/30/new-suicide-squad-trailer-to-premiere-on-the-cw-on-january-19/

This is nice, especially since I love Kevin Smith.

"DC FILMS PRESENTS: DAWN OF THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
invites viewers behind the scenes of the exciting new movies coming out
of the DC Films universe, culminating in the thrilling world premiere of
the all-new trailer for “Suicide Squad,” DC’s misfit crew of antiheroes
forced into saving the world this summer, with director David Ayer.
Hosted by filmmaker/writer/lifelong comics fan Kevin Smith, with special
guest DC Entertainment’s Geoff Johns, the special showcases the
explosive landscape of DC’s greatest heroes, kicking off with “Batman v
Superman: Dawn of Justice,” in theatres this March, and with a sneak
peek from the upcoming Wonder Woman feature film.

Get a look at never-before-seen footage, and see interviews with such
stars as Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot, and directors Zack
Snyder and Patty Jenkins—just a few of the creative forces behind the
much-anticipated film franchise that will bring together the greatest
collective of Super Heroes in the upcoming Justice League feature film.
And because no Super Hero could make his or her mark without a truly
formidable foe, the special also provides glimpses of DC’s most famous
Super Villains."
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Re: The DC Cinematic Universe

Postby Mr Wayne » Jan 1st, 2016, 8:05 pm

AW8 wrote:http://batman-news.com/2015/12/30/new-suicide-squad-trailer-to-premiere-on-the-cw-on-january-19/

This is nice, especially since I love Kevin Smith.

"DC FILMS PRESENTS: DAWN OF THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
invites viewers behind the scenes of the exciting new movies coming out
of the DC Films universe, culminating in the thrilling world premiere of
the all-new trailer for “Suicide Squad,” DC’s misfit crew of antiheroes
forced into saving the world this summer, with director David Ayer.
Hosted by filmmaker/writer/lifelong comics fan Kevin Smith, with special
guest DC Entertainment’s Geoff Johns, the special showcases the
explosive landscape of DC’s greatest heroes, kicking off with “Batman v
Superman: Dawn of Justice,” in theatres this March, and with a sneak
peek from the upcoming Wonder Woman feature film.

Get a look at never-before-seen footage, and see interviews with such
stars as Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot, and directors Zack
Snyder and Patty Jenkins—just a few of the creative forces behind the
much-anticipated film franchise that will bring together the greatest
collective of Super Heroes in the upcoming Justice League feature film.
And because no Super Hero could make his or her mark without a truly
formidable foe, the special also provides glimpses of DC’s most famous
Super Villains."

Should be good. The next superhero related announcement before Deadpool hits. Excited for the WW and SS stuff but I'm done with BvS. Let it be till release that last trailer dimmed the hype a tad.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Previous

Return to DC Comics Movies