Suicide Squad directed by David Ayer - Trailer

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Re: Suicide Squad directed by David Ayer - Trailer

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 12th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I feel as though Wonder Woman will be the first movie they really nail, because Wonder Woman is a big deal, they kinda can't screw that one up. It'd be over for DC after that for most people. Although, I feel JL will follow the same trend as a decisive movie that you actually need to put a lot of thought into to appreciate

There is some truth to that :lol: The part that if Dc screws that one up their reputation will be even further damaged.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Aug 12th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I felt like the nightclub sequence was pulled straight out of the Animated Series. The Joker talking to another villain as Harley parties on the dance floor, them laughing their asses off and driving in a flashy car as Batman chases them, right down to Batman carrying Harley to the Batmobile. Honestly, that scene was perfect to me. Harley dancing (*heart eyes emoji*), Joker intimidating Monster T and giving a big introduction to "the one, the only, the infamous Harley Quinn!!", Harley playing mind games with Monster T, Harley shooting through the roof, Joker laughing as he drives into the river, Harley trying to knife Batman trying to save her, etc etc. in case you can't tell, I really liked this scene lol.

I do wanna say I read this article claiming that Batman "sexually assaulted" Harley by giving her mouth to mouth CPR. That's the biggest clickbait bullshit I've seen in a while. She was unconscious, or at least pretending to be, so he (what looked to be reluctantly) gave her mouth to mouth. In true Harley fashion, she grabbed him and kissed him when he lowered himself to her, then laughed at his disgust as he pushed her away. She was fucking with him and enjoyed making him uncomfortable. Sorry that's my rant
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby arkhamcitydood » Aug 12th, 2016, 10:18 pm

The Oracle wrote:
arkhamcitydood wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:
The Oracle wrote:The last thing this universe needs is more of Jared Leto mugging for the camera like a toddler screaming for attention.

When is the Joker, any Joker, NOT mugging for the camera? Answer: never. :oldyella: Leto's performance was so much fun to watch.

Answer: most good ones. There's a difference between eccentric and scene-grabbing and mugging for the camera. Mugging for the camera is playing to the audience rather than the scene and characters within the scene, which is what Leto's whole performance felt like. His performance was what I'd expect out of an attention-hungry middle school student told to just play crazy and it was about as embarrassing as watching a school play. Skin-deep. The scariest thing about him was the atrocious look they gave him, and he has all the laughs of an Adam Sandler movie. Completely amateur, and by far the worst performance for the character in live action.

The joker shines when he's interacting with batman. None of that happened in this movie. Personally, I'm reserving judgement until the batman solo movie with joker to decide how I feel. If you can honestly tell me that you did not like one thing about this joker, then you're not a fan of the character. There were some bad scenes, sure, but there were some great scenes. For example, "I need a machine gun" I hated that. It was just an awkward scene for me. But the "birth of Harley Quinn" was my favorite scene in the movie. Leto actually stole that whole scene for me.

With the DCEU, they don't hold your hand. You kinda have to put the pieces of the puzzles together yourself for certain things. I believe joker was once a different character. After he killed Jason Todd, batman broke his teeth, sent him to the asylum, and he got his damaged tattoo across his forehead. This is all confirmed now. So I think once joker was sent to asylum, he became a different kind of crazy. What I'm trying to say is, batman clearly changed after those events. He started to murder without a single thought. It's because the joker won (even though bats didn't kill him). So what if those events changed joker forever, mentally? The way batman changed, is the same way the joker changed. I mean, they're the flip side of a coin. Whatever happens to batman, happens to joker. So I think there is some explaining to do, or not. Maybe they WANT us to think about these possibilities. That's why I appreciate the DCEU. They don't want to hold your hand and let the audience think about things on their own. DCEU is for the fans, more so than newcomers to the characters. I feel as though Wonder Woman will be the first movie they really nail, because Wonder Woman is a big deal, they kinda can't screw that one up. It'd be over for DC after that for most people. Although, I feel JL will follow the same trend as a decisive movie that you actually need to put a lot of thought into to appreciate.

I was going to bother replying to all of this, but the bold shows me there's absolutely no point. The "No True Scotsman" fallacy. No true fan holds a different opinion than you. Of course, just keep telling yourself that.

I didn't ask you to reply. Maybe I would have, if your opinions weren't always negative, and didn't bash people over opinions

I was hoping my comment would spark a new discussion, but you went out of your way to look for something to offend you. Good job.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Aug 12th, 2016, 10:38 pm

BiGbAdBaTz

Postby Harvey Bullock » Aug 12th, 2016, 10:53 pm

arkhamcitydood wrote:I didn't ask you to reply. Maybe I would have, if your opinions weren't always negative, and didn't bash people over opinions

I was hoping my comment would spark a new discussion, but you went out of your way to look for something to offend you. Good job.

The only thing your comments could possibly 'spark' would be the fuse that confirms my exit from the forums, to be honest. But bravo, good on you for playing up to internet stereotypes.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby The Oracle » Aug 12th, 2016, 11:31 pm

arkhamcitydood wrote:I didn't ask you to reply. Maybe I would have, if your opinions weren't always negative, and didn't bash people over opinions

Cute. Offense? You've greatly overestimated how much of a damn I give about what you think of me. The bolded fallacy simply illustrates that there's no point. You've already made up your mind that if someone doesn't like this version of the character in some degree that they're not a real fan, and therefore it's not worth attempting a discussion, especially considering that I only discussed the performance and you decided to jump in and begin making personal statements. Perhaps in the future, if you wish to spark discussion, it'd be wise not to open with personal statements and instead just stick to the topic at hand.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Aug 13th, 2016, 4:19 am

Just to enlighten things up a little bit:
Spoiler: show

:lol:

gary2692 wrote:Someone needs to create some kind of petition for a Harley Quinn and Joker spin-off film. I heard Margot Robbie is already trying to do that but I think she needs some help

Even though Harley was awesome in the movie, in my opinion, I'm not supporting shit until I get mah Justice League Dark movie(directed by Guilhermo Del Toro, preferably). >:(
Except for Tron 3. That gets all my support and money.
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Aug 13th, 2016, 4:53 am

jesus fucking christ
BiGbAdBaTz

Postby pukipuki » Aug 13th, 2016, 7:21 am

Well, seems like the forums have divided the forums. There's one part that expect dc films to be oscar worthy stuff, then it fails to deliver. And then this part of oscar expectant people bash it to the ground. Which is understandable and fans should have the right to expect a great movie, just good can be not enough and understandably so.

And then there is another part of people who see the movies as how they were meant to be seen and enjoy the parts where there is enjoyment to be had. Their expectations are already lower and they like the movie for its cool factors alone. But then these people see the other part of people of people bashing the movies so hard that they make the films to be worse than, idk, Fan4stic. And then they defend their movie and start bashing opinions.

The Nolan trilogy was highly over rated IMO. I thought the Batman in those movies seemed a little weak, not one of the the strongest (without enhancements) humans in the world as he is in the comics and cartoons we love. A bit too real? But somehow these films were so popular and highly loved that it created a standard of film that is not possible for dceu films, as the dceu goes for comic accuracy over realism and over complicated stipulations. As nice as it was the Nolan trilogy (especially TDK) killed the DCEU for the audience who now expect oscar worthy (said that 1 times too many) movies from DC either than comicbook movies.
"I'm Batman"- Batman
pukipuki

Favourite Villain: TWO-FACE
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long hallowing

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 13th, 2016, 7:44 am

arkhamcitydood wrote:If you can honestly tell me that you did not like one thing about this joker, then you're not a fan of the character.

Trolololol. Not that I've watched it and can form an opinion on this version of The Joker, but your argument itself is ridiculous. It's always great when people decide to define what makes one a fan of something. Maybe you should consider the possibility that somebody likes a certain version of a character, but not the others and these aspects that they like aren't present in another version? Perhaps that's the case here. Perhaps not. But you shouldn't box things in like that. It's a very close-minded way to look at things. Unless, of course, you want to be close-minded.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 13th, 2016, 9:00 am

BuNKiTZ wrote:
arkhamcitydood wrote:If you can honestly tell me that you did not like one thing about this joker, then you're not a fan of the character.

Trolololol. Not that I've watched it and can form an opinion on this version of The Joker, but your argument itself is ridiculous. It's always great when people decide to define what makes one a fan of something. Maybe you should consider the possibility that somebody likes a certain version of a character, but not the others and these aspects that they like aren't present in another version? Perhaps that's the case here. Perhaps not. But you shouldn't box things in like that. It's a very close-minded way to look at things. Unless, of course, you want to be close-minded.

Who wants to be close-minded? :oldyella:

But yeah, that was quite unfair of you to say arkhamcitydood. One can dislike this take Joker in his entirety and still be a fan of the character. Heck, being a big fan of the Joker may cause someone not see one good thing in this portrayl.

MaxSchreck

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 13th, 2016, 9:31 am

MaxSchreck wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:

But yeah, that was quite unfair of you to say arkhamcitydood. One can dislike this take Joker in his entirety and still be a fan of the character. Heck, being a big fan of the Joker may cause someone not see one good thing in this portrayl.

See, that's being somewhat close-minded! I'm open to the idea that somebody might want to be close-minded ;) (in all seriousness, I am a firm believer than anything logical is possible until proven otherwise)

:oldyella:
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 13th, 2016, 10:02 am

pukipuki wrote:The Nolan trilogy was highly over rated IMO. I thought the Batman in those movies seemed a little weak, not one of the the strongest (without enhancements) humans in the world as he is in the comics and cartoons we love. A bit too real? But somehow these films were so popular and highly loved that it created a standard of film that is not possible for dceu films, as the dceu goes for comic accuracy over realism and over complicated stipulations. As nice as it was the Nolan trilogy (especially TDK) killed the DCEU for the audience who now expect oscar worthy (said that 1 times too many) movies from DC either than comicbook movies.

Thats what i think too.
I also think that there is a lot of pressure on the DCEU due to Marvel seemingly throwing movies out without any problems.
You not only have the people who expect oscar worthy movies, you have to deal with fans who want the dc movies to be like the marvel movies, the fans who just want a good DC movie etc.

There is a lot of expectation and hope, a lot of frustration and preferences.
At the end it doesnt help to fight each other...it wont archive anything.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 13th, 2016, 10:32 am

(in all seriousness, I am a firm believer than anything logical is possible until proven otherwise

Depends on the peer group I guess. On this forum, well, I don´t think there is anyone who´d like to be called that.

The Nolan trilogy was highly over rated IMO. I thought the Batman in those movies seemed a little weak, not one of the the strongest (without enhancements) humans in the world as he is in the comics and cartoons we love. A bit too real? But somehow these films were so popular and highly loved that it created a standard of film that is not possible for dceu films, as the dceu goes for comic accuracy over realism and over complicated stipulations. As nice as it was the Nolan trilogy (especially TDK) killed the DCEU for the audience who now expect oscar worthy (said that 1 times too many) movies from DC either than comicbook movies.

Yeah, I am not that big of a fan of the Nolan trilogy either. But I think they showed that you can have a comic book movie that is.... intelligent for lack of a better term. I don´t think comic accuracy means you have to throw out good plot and strong characterization. Marvel, for all of its humor for which it is now criticized by Dc fans, seems to have understood that pretty well. The Dceu doesn´t have to be Oscar Worthy, or like the Marvel movies (and with that most people probably mean the tone and humor). But they should remember the strenghts of the Dark Knight trilogy.

What they do now reminds me a lot of the third and worst movie in that trilogy - Dark Knight Rises. There are lots of elements from the comics, but the writing has become worse and seems to make none of these refrences to comic book events fit as well as they should.

MaxSchreck

Postby arkhamcitydood » Aug 13th, 2016, 4:39 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:

See, that's being somewhat close-minded! I'm open to the idea that somebody might want to be close-minded ;) (in all seriousness, I am a firm believer than anything logical is possible until proven otherwise)

:oldyella:

Maybe I went a bit far, I'll fess up. I just hate negativity, and oracle seems like she only complains about things on this site, so it irks me quite a bit.

I can understand where people would have a problem with the performance. It's like Leto didn't know if he wanted to be grounded and modernized or a cartoon character. But as the joker, he did great for what he had. I believe oracle had said Hannibal lector was a short role that stole the whole movie. Well, that's because the character was created with the intention of leaving a short yet lasting impression. The joker was created to be the the face of crime. You can't expect a character like the joker to shine in a small role like this. Ayer knew that also, which is why he didn't try to create something amazing like ledger did. I can't imagine a single person saying "Leto has done enough to tarnish the character of the joker, so let's keep him out of the future installments". Joker was put into this movie similar to how the knight mare sequence was put in BvS. It's a tease of what's to come. It isn't fair to judge an interpretation on a character that we've only seen one side of (his relationship with Harley), despite him having many different sides to him that are more important to his character than the side of his relationship. I'm not looking to start a fight, I'm looking to defend a character and maybe try to provide some insight on why some things were done the way they were in the movie.

So yeah, you can dislike what they did with joker here in THIS movie, but as a whole character, it's too soon in the universe to judge the character as a whole. I state that as fact and not an opinion, and that might make me seem close-minded, but that's because I'm pretty sure the people who made this movie want us to be open-minded about the future of the characters, not resent them immediately because of one small role. Instead of the topic at hand be about hating the interpretation, I'm trying to make it a more welcoming discussion about the future potential Leto has in this universe. I will admit, I went the wrong way with it.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics Movies