Wonder Woman directed by Patty Jenkins - Sneak Peek

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Wonder Woman directed by Patty Jenkins - Sneak Peek

Postby The Oracle » Feb 21st, 2015, 2:49 am

Directed by Patty Jenkins
Screenplay by Jason Fuchs

Starring:
Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana
Chris Pine as Steve Trevor
Connie Nielson as Hippolyta
Robin Wright as ???
David Thewlis as ???
Danny Huston as ???
Said Taghmaoui as ???
Lucy Davis as ???
Elena Anaya as ???
Ewen Bremner as ???

Release Date: June 23, 2017

Decided to start up a thread for this now as filming is apparently due to start later this year, according to Deadline. So some news is likely coming in the near future.

Gadot will next be seen in the Fox Searchlight film Criminal in August and in September the movie Triple Nine. She plays Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice and then films Wonder Woman in the fall.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-keeping-up-with-the-joneses-1201378159/
Last edited by The Oracle on Jan 20th, 2016, 4:31 am, edited 13 times in total.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Re: Wonder Woman directed by Michelle McLauren

Postby batman404 » Feb 21st, 2015, 5:25 am

Definitely one of the flicks I'm looking forward to most at the moment, but I'm still not fully convinced that Gadot was a good choice. McLauren directing has me pumped though.

I really hope they take inspiration from Azzarello's run and make it heavily steeped in Greek mythology.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby The Oracle » Feb 21st, 2015, 5:43 am

batman404 wrote:Definitely one of the flicks I'm looking forward to most at the moment, but I'm still not fully convinced that Gadot was a good choice. McLauren directing has me pumped though.

I really hope they take inspiration from Azzarello's run and make it heavily steeped in Greek mythology.

I'm sure they're looking at it. At the very least, they're making her a demigod like in that as an executive let slip.
The Oracle

Postby Pieter » Feb 21st, 2015, 9:09 am

I also hope they take some inspiration from the Greg Rucka run.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby batman404 » Feb 21st, 2015, 10:17 am

King Arthur Curry wrote:I also hope they take some inspiration from the Greg Rucka run.

For sure! Then there's Gail Simone, Phil Jimenez, George Perez, etc. There are a ton of great writers they can pull stuff from.
batman404

Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Feb 21st, 2015, 6:18 pm

batman404 wrote:Definitely one of the flicks I'm looking forward to most at the moment, but I'm still not fully convinced that Gadot was a good choice. McLauren directing has me pumped though.

All of this.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Peel » Feb 21st, 2015, 10:05 pm

Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby ShadowRaven » Feb 23rd, 2015, 9:20 pm

But how would they tie that back to the main universe? That's the problem I have with Azarello's Wonder Woman. It feels so... cut off from everything else. It's less a superhero story and more a straight-up fantasy adventure. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy adventure. But when what you're writing doesn't feel like it really belongs in the DC universe, I think the tone might be a little off. It also screws with power scaling in ways I can't even begin to describe. They should probably tone the mystical stuff down a bit for the films. Even Thor in the MCU has this problem to a lesser degree. the Iron Man and Cap films feel like they take place in the same universe, right around the corner from each other, while the Thor films feel a little estranged from everything else. But this doesn't completely break the tone of the Universe because they made him less an actual god and more an alien/transdimensional being armed with super-science. They could do something similar with Wonder Woman. Perhaps by making the Greek gods into a sort of forerunner race like they did in Assassin's Creed. That would be an interesting interpretation.
ShadowRaven

Postby The Oracle » Feb 23rd, 2015, 9:29 pm

ShadowRaven wrote:

But how would they tie that back to the main universe? That's the problem I have with Azarello's Wonder Woman. It feels so... cut off from everything else. It's less a superhero story and more a straight-up fantasy adventure. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy adventure. But when what you're writing doesn't feel like it really belongs in the DC universe, I think the tone might be a little off. It also screws with power scaling in ways I can't even begin to describe. They should probably tone the mystical stuff down a bit for the films. Even Thor in the MCU has this problem to a lesser degree. the Iron Man and Cap films feel like they take place in the same universe, right around the corner from each other, while the Thor films feel a little estranged from everything else. But this doesn't completely break the tone of the Universe because they made him less an actual god and more an alien/transdimensional being armed with super-science. They could do something similar with Wonder Woman. Perhaps by making the Greek gods into a sort of forerunner race like they did in Assassin's Creed. That would be an interesting interpretation.

I would hate for them to scale back the mystical stuff. The films should feel different and unique and having a fantasy and mythology heavy Wonder Woman is the perfect way to make it different. It doesn't have to be cut off from the DCCU because they can just craft it in a way that works with the universe they're making.

Simple explanation for gods and rest of the Greek pantheon: a group of super powerful beings. So...gods. It's pretty simple work them in, I'd say.
The Oracle

Postby ShadowRaven » Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:40 pm

The Oracle wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:

I would hate for them to scale back the mystical stuff. The films should feel different and unique and having a fantasy and mythology heavy Wonder Woman is the perfect way to make it different. It doesn't have to be cut off from the DCCU because they can just craft it in a way that works with the universe they're making.

Simple explanation for gods and rest of the Greek pantheon: a group of super powerful beings. So...gods. It's pretty simple work them in, I'd say.

Scaling back the mystical aspect is only one possible solution to this problem, and it may not even be the best one. I only suggested it because I think it would be interesting and the god-as-forerunner take isn't something we've really seen, outside of Assassin's Creed, and never in the DC Universe. But however they approach it, I'm saying they need to do *something* so that when I sit down to watch Wonder Woman I don't feel like I'm seeing something from an altogether completely different franchise from Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice.
ShadowRaven

Postby The Oracle » Feb 24th, 2015, 12:13 am

ShadowRaven wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:

Scaling back the mystical aspect is only one possible solution to this problem, and it may not even be the best one. I only suggested it because I think it would be interesting and the god-as-forerunner take isn't something we've really seen, outside of Assassin's Creed, and never in the DC Universe. But however they approach it, I'm saying they need to do *something* so that when I sit down to watch Wonder Woman I don't feel like I'm seeing something from an altogether completely different franchise from Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice.

While I can understand that complaint with Man of Steel, it shouldn't be like that with the DCCU past that point. The fact is that the DCCU is all but confirmed to have magic (Wonder Woman, Enchantress, Shazam if my limited knowledge of the character is correct) and of course has super beings. So, why is it such a stretch that there are these super powerful beings that have been around for millennia and their home is another dimension? That's pretty much what the gods are.
The Oracle

Postby ShadowRaven » Feb 24th, 2015, 3:16 pm

The Oracle wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
ShadowRaven wrote:

While I can understand that complaint with Man of Steel, it shouldn't be like that with the DCCU past that point. The fact is that the DCCU is all but confirmed to have magic (Wonder Woman, Enchantress, Shazam if my limited knowledge of the character is correct) and of course has super beings. So, why is it such a stretch that there are these super powerful beings that have been around for millennia and their home is another dimension? That's pretty much what the gods are.

It's not really the concept, per se. The concept is fine. It's more an issue of tone. After coming from Man of Steel's action-sci-fi tone and Dawn of Justice which is going to introduce Batman and Luthor, it's going to be a really weird case of tonal whiplash if Wonder Woman's film feels like Clash of the Titans or Game of Thrones.
ShadowRaven

Postby The Oracle » Feb 24th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Just because two films are sci fi doesn't mean everything has to be. Honestly, maybe it's just me, but it'd make the universe feel a lot less interesting. That variety is exactly what the universe needs, so long as they can feel connected. And something like Azzarello's I see no issues feeling like part of the universe.
The Oracle

Postby ShadowRaven » Feb 24th, 2015, 7:02 pm

The Oracle wrote:Just because two films are sci fi doesn't mean everything has to be. Honestly, maybe it's just me, but it'd make the universe feel a lot less interesting. That variety is exactly what the universe needs, so long as they can feel connected. And something like Azzarello's I see no issues feeling like part of the universe.

I'm not saying it needs to be sci-fi. But it definitely shouldn't be Clash of the Titans. Suspense of disbelief would go right out the window I fear.
ShadowRaven

Postby The Oracle » Feb 24th, 2015, 7:08 pm

ShadowRaven wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Just because two films are sci fi doesn't mean everything has to be. Honestly, maybe it's just me, but it'd make the universe feel a lot less interesting. That variety is exactly what the universe needs, so long as they can feel connected. And something like Azzarello's I see no issues feeling like part of the universe.

I'm not saying it needs to be sci-fi. But it definitely shouldn't be Clash of the Titans. Suspense of disbelief would go right out the window I fear.

I'm unsure what you mean by the Clash of the Titans comparison, care to elaborate on the specifics?
The Oracle

Next

Return to DC Comics Movies