Untitled Batman directed by Ben Affleck

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Untitled Batman directed by Ben Affleck

Postby The Oracle » Jul 10th, 2015, 4:35 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-con-ben-affleck-teams-807757?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Acting A-lister Ben Affleck is teaming up with comic book A-lister Geoff Johns for a new Batman movie.

The two are developing a plan that Affleck will direct and star as the Caped Crusader in a feature he would tackle after he directs Live by Night.

Night is Affleck’s adaptation of the Denis Lahane crime novel set during the Prohibition that is due to go before cameras in November.

Warners had no comment

That Affleck was to direct in a Batman standalone movie isn’t new. The actor made that a condition of his when he signed on to act as Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2013.

And while Warners had laid out its slate of movies based on DC characters that was missing a standalone Batman movie, the studio always planned for one (or more) to be in the works to complement a schedule that included lesser known heroes.

Affleck is also expected to appear in the studio's Justice League movies
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Re: Untitled Batman directed by Ben Affleck

Postby ChaosThe15th » Jul 10th, 2015, 9:44 am

Not suprising at all. You don't get Ben Affleck and not use his directing talents. Really excited to see what he can do.
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Prisoner 4011 » Jul 10th, 2015, 10:58 am

CHAOS15 wrote:Not suprising at all. You don't get Ben Affleck and not use his directing talents. Really excited to see what he can do.

Yup. Though things may change, I have faith in Batfleck.
Prisoner 4011

Postby Peel » Jul 10th, 2015, 11:56 am

I really, really hope Geoff Johns isn't writing the script for his movie, all of his Batman runs have just been poor for me. Earth One was a huge disappointment after I bought the book and he hasn't done that many other notable Batman runs. WB should've steered Johns to write the script for a Green Lantern, Flash or an Aquaman movie, and Affleck should've just stuck with Chris Terrio to write the story/script for the next Batman movie. They should have gotten someone with experience in writing excellent Batman stories, such as Paul Dini, Scott Snyder, Jeph Loeb etc. What a waste.

But alas, at least Batfleck is directing which is good, and I'm curious who'll be the villains in the movie. No doubt Joker and Harley will fill up two of the slots.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Thought process:

"Yay! Ben Affleck directing and writi-OH HOLY SHIT WHO COMPELLED GEOFF JOHNS TO BE HERE NO STOP"
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Pieter » Jul 10th, 2015, 12:37 pm

I like Johns but I'd much rather have him write Aquaman or Green Lantern because he isn't a great Batman writer.
But Ben Affleck directing? POW YES
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 10th, 2015, 12:45 pm

I think I share the same reaction as a fair few others. I was ecstatic at first, until I found out Geoff Johns is involved. Whilst I'm sure it'll be a good film, I now need convincing that it'll be better than that. I'm skeptical about Johns.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby Peel » Jul 10th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Hopefully the case is that Geoff Johns is merely writing the story of the movie, but not the actual script, much like what has happened with David Goyer and Chris Terrio on Dawn of Justice. I'm sure Ben has his own grittier ideas about how Batman should be handled, Johns has his own ideas that we've seen in Earth One that could be handled, but I think a third member who'll rewrite the script like say Terrio, could be brought in to polish everything together. Hopefully this will be the case.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby Dick » Jul 10th, 2015, 8:57 pm

*slides Ben a £20 note* "So, how 'bout an Under The Red Hood adaptation?"

----

*slides Geoff a fiver* "So, how 'bout you just leave?"
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Chob » Jul 10th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Pls leave Johns. Leave it to Ben and Terrio. Pls.

In a universe with the Justice League the possibilities have opened up and I don't want to hear an endless stream of "gritty, realistic, grounded, believable" or other buzzwords that scream "WE'RE NOT STUPID LIKE THOSE COMICS, CASUAL AUDIENCE, WE SWEAR!" We got the Nolan trilogy, it was awesome, let's move on.

I want some Batfamily action. It would seemingly fit this universe with an older, wearier Bats. Hell a Batman Inc. in the movieverse would be a dream come true for me, but it would be a tough sell when a large part of the casual audience still wants loner Bats and thinks Robin is stupid. Hell I remember a minor fit from a small segment of this very site when Robin was announced for Arkham City. But if they're not gonna do something new, then there's really no point to making a new Batman solo film.

Well ok, except for the massive piles of cash, that's a pretty good reason.

Batman Inc. would probably have to wait until higher priority characters would make it on film, but it would be fun and way different than what a large part of the audience is used to from a Batman franchise. You have a Batman that's gonna work with others, might as well take advantage of it and use it to expose other characters from the Bat franchise to a new audience. I want some Batwoman. Hell maybe even poor Batwing. Guy never got the shot he deserved IMO. Haven't kept up with what's been going on with him.
Chob

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Jul 10th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Why the hate for Johns? He's not my favorite, but I feel like Ben and him will balance out quite nicely.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Postby kain9998 » Jul 11th, 2015, 12:24 am

Ben directing has me excited. Glad to see I'm not alone there, the dude has crazy talent in the directors chair. Combine that with what is hopefully an awesome Batman, and we could have some real gold here.

I don't think Johns will hinder the film too much. I think that with Affleck directing the film should be in good hands, but only time will tell. I just don't think he'll let anything too bad get into the film.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 11th, 2015, 12:59 am

I read a lot of the people involved in producing the Green Lanter moviecomplained about Geoff Johns input . Apparently he made them include a lot of GL mythology that wasn´t necessary. But while I can see why this might have ruined that film (remember the lackluster Parallax or Amanda Wallers scenes) I don´t think this could seriously endanger the quality of this movie.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Jul 11th, 2015, 4:50 am

i still haven't seen GL. lol

I didn't realize Johns was involved though.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 11th, 2015, 4:52 am

Doudyx-X-xDubs wrote:i still haven't seen GL. lol

I didn't realize Johns was involved though.

Neither have I. I'll get to it someday... maybe.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Next

Return to DC Comics Movies