Untitled Batman directed by Ben Affleck

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Re: Untitled Batman directed by Ben Affleck

Postby The Oracle » Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:10 am

Harvey Bullock wrote:I'm gonna annoy soooooo many people with this post but that rumour sounds baadddd.

Why would Jason intentionally leave clues for Batman to be found? It sounds weird, and I don't want to spend another Bat-film in which the entirety of detective work involved centres around Bruce following a trail of easily identifiable crumbs to the plot's climax.

Second, why would he want the underworld to believe that he's Batman? That doesn't make sense to me either. Of course there's the fact that Jason thinks his brand of justice is more appropriate and makes him a worthy successor to the cowl, but again this feels out of place for a character who's initial return banged on about his severance from the Bat-family akin to the way Nightwing was when he first débuted. I don't think Jason would want to be in Bruce's shadow when he makes his glorious return.

And on top of that, I'm getting Jason fatigue. Think after Arkham Knight and all these Suicide Squad/BVS rumours are having a negative effect on my perceptions of the character. :oldyella:

Oh, and Joker as the villain again would suck as well. Give us something relatively new involving Riddler, Scarecrow or Poison Oaky, because mystery could very well end up being paramount to a Batman reboot's success.

As much as I wish it'd be someone new or an interesting new take on a character who hasn't been done justice yet on film (top of the list: Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Penguin), I'll be surprised if it's not Joker and Harley.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby Harvey Bullock » Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:32 am

The Oracle wrote:
Harvey Bullock wrote:I'm gonna annoy soooooo many people with this post but that rumour sounds baadddd.

Why would Jason intentionally leave clues for Batman to be found? It sounds weird, and I don't want to spend another Bat-film in which the entirety of detective work involved centres around Bruce following a trail of easily identifiable crumbs to the plot's climax.

Second, why would he want the underworld to believe that he's Batman? That doesn't make sense to me either. Of course there's the fact that Jason thinks his brand of justice is more appropriate and makes him a worthy successor to the cowl, but again this feels out of place for a character who's initial return banged on about his severance from the Bat-family akin to the way Nightwing was when he first débuted. I don't think Jason would want to be in Bruce's shadow when he makes his glorious return.

And on top of that, I'm getting Jason fatigue. Think after Arkham Knight and all these Suicide Squad/BVS rumours are having a negative effect on my perceptions of the character. :oldyella:

Oh, and Joker as the villain again would suck as well. Give us something relatively new involving Riddler, Scarecrow or Poison Oaky, because mystery could very well end up being paramount to a Batman reboot's success.

As much as I wish it'd be someone new or an interesting new take on a character who hasn't been done justice yet on film (top of the list: Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Penguin), I'll be surprised if it's not Joker and Harley.

If that's the case then this film is going to have to do an awful lot more to impress me. Give us a mystery akin to the Court of Owls, The Long Halloween or The Black Mirror for once. :(
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Remote Claw » Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:48 am

I'm hope this rumor stays a rumor. Doesn't excite me, really. My reaction is just "that's it?"

Harvey Bullock wrote:And on top of that, I'm getting Jason fatigue. Think after Arkham Knight and all these Suicide Squad/BVS rumours are having a negative effect on my perceptions of the character. :oldyella:

That too.
Remote Claw

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Nov 2nd, 2015, 11:33 am

As opposed to you I'm really not feeling any Jason fatigue right about now and would like to see Red Hood in a live action flick however I completely agree with all the points you brought up. It sounds mediocre. As for villains, we'll undoubtedly get Joker and Harley. I just hope that if we have a trilogy we get villains like Freeze, Riddler, Ivy or even Hush. I want new villains. Joker is great but I want someone else to be given time to shine. At least this time round Harley should be a somewhat interesting interesting addition.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby JordanT4021 » Nov 2nd, 2015, 5:19 pm

Remote Claw wrote:I'm hope this rumor stays a rumor. Doesn't excite me, really. My reaction is just "that's it?"

Harvey Bullock wrote:And on top of that, I'm getting Jason fatigue. Think after Arkham Knight and all these Suicide Squad/BVS rumours are having a negative effect on my perceptions of the character. :oldyella:

That too.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. I like the character but with Arkham Knight and the Under the Hood animated film, there's plenty material for this character. We don't need to keep rehashing the same story.

Another thing about this rumour I don't like is that it seems like another Joker centric story which doesn't excite me because we've seen him too often in film.

I want something unique and not seen before. There are so many incredible Batman villains to choose from, choosing Joker just seems like a cop out. I'd love to see a court of owls film or maybe a good version of Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy. Perhaps a good version of the League of Assassins that is true to the source material.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Peel » Nov 2nd, 2015, 7:06 pm

The thing is though, if you have an extremely talented oscar winning actor playing the role of the Joker in one big budget blockbuster movie, and if said actor has signed on for multiple movies within the franchise, and you are the director with an older veteran Batman, with a whole array of fantastic Batman stories that have never been done before - You just can't say no. It would be like making a Fantastic Four movie without Doctor Doom. A Thor movie without Loki. An X-Men movie without Magneto. He is the ultimate and most well suited adversary to Batman, and when you have him in the movie franchise like this, you just can't turn him away.

The only nitpick I have is that if they do an almost direct adaption of Under the Hood, it won't have much of a big escalated impact. Like, the plot of The Dark Knight Rises was Batman taking on a freaking army of terrorists and stopping them from blowing up a city. In Batman vs Superman, he's going out against freaking Superman and potentially Doomsday. In Suicide Squad, the catalyst of the plot will be taking down a magical sorceress who is said to be trying to destroy humanity, that may or may not be influenced by the Joker. And then in his own next movie? He's just going to be chasing down that kid he looked after till he died and the Joker will be screwing with him in the background. Its not really much of a big threat is it, compared to say, Wonder Woman taking on the God of War who is trying to start WWIII or Aquaman trying to stop his evil brother from melting the Arctic and flooding the world. That's why if they do an adaption of Under the Hood, there needs to be some sort of large-scale threat. Having the al Ghuls in the background - to better explain Jason's return - would work, but then it would be very similar to Winter Soldier.

When you have a movie that is directed by Ben Affleck, and stars Ben Affleck as Batman, exists in a franchise with Jared Leto as the Joker and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and its a veteran Batman who may indeed be the most definitive perfect Batman on the live screen to this date - you just cannot turn down the Joker. Its a guaranteed blockbuster hit that would certainly make well over $1 billion. No matter which other villain you could use, no one in this day and age would turn down The Joker for anyone else.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby AW8 » Nov 2nd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Peel wrote:The only nitpick I have is that if they do an almost direct adaption of Under the Hood, it won't have much of a big escalated impact. Like, the plot of The Dark Knight Rises was Batman taking on a freaking army of terrorists and stopping them from blowing up a city. In Batman vs Superman, he's going out against freaking Superman and potentially Doomsday. In Suicide Squad, the catalyst of the plot will be taking down a magical sorceress who is said to be trying to destroy humanity, that may or may not be influenced by the Joker. And then in his own next movie? He's just going to be chasing down that kid he looked after till he died and the Joker will be screwing with him in the background. Its not really much of a big threat is it, compared to say, Wonder Woman taking on the God of War who is trying to start WWIII or Aquaman trying to stop his evil brother from melting the Arctic and flooding the world. That's why if they do an adaption of Under the Hood, there needs to be some sort of large-scale threat. Having the al Ghuls in the background - to better explain Jason's return - would work, but then it would be very similar to Winter Soldier.

That's absolutely not true. A smaller, more personal stake (such as "dead protege returns to use his training against Batman", "Bandage-Face attempts to ruin/steal the Wayne legacy") would be a fresh change from the "villain threatens to blow up the city"-plot they have to do in every. Single. Movie.

When you have a movie that is directed by Ben Affleck, and stars Ben Affleck as Batman, exists in a franchise with Jared Leto as the Joker and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and its a veteran Batman who may indeed be the most definitive perfect Batman on the live screen to this date - you just cannot turn down the Joker. Its a guaranteed blockbuster hit that would certainly make well over $1 billion. No matter which other villain you could use, no one in this day and age would turn down The Joker for anyone else.

Which is a sad truth. I'm hyped for Leto's Joker, I've always loved Hamill, and Baker does a good job, but it is tiresome to see Joker squeezed in wherever Batman goes. One of the few good things with Beware the Batman was that they never did Joker and instead focused on other villains.

Our only hope is that even the mainstream audience gets tired of Joker at one point. Maybe in the year 2038 we get to see Hush, a proper Mr. Freeze or a Zero Year/Arkham City-esque Riddler on the silver screen.
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby Peel » Nov 2nd, 2015, 8:12 pm

AW8 wrote:
Peel wrote:The only nitpick I have is that if they do an almost direct adaption of Under the Hood, it won't have much of a big escalated impact. Like, the plot of The Dark Knight Rises was Batman taking on a freaking army of terrorists and stopping them from blowing up a city. In Batman vs Superman, he's going out against freaking Superman and potentially Doomsday. In Suicide Squad, the catalyst of the plot will be taking down a magical sorceress who is said to be trying to destroy humanity, that may or may not be influenced by the Joker. And then in his own next movie? He's just going to be chasing down that kid he looked after till he died and the Joker will be screwing with him in the background. Its not really much of a big threat is it, compared to say, Wonder Woman taking on the God of War who is trying to start WWIII or Aquaman trying to stop his evil brother from melting the Arctic and flooding the world. That's why if they do an adaption of Under the Hood, there needs to be some sort of large-scale threat. Having the al Ghuls in the background - to better explain Jason's return - would work, but then it would be very similar to Winter Soldier.

That's absolutely not true. A smaller, more personal stake (such as "dead protege returns to use his training against Batman", "Bandage-Face attempts to ruin/steal the Wayne legacy") would be a fresh change from the "villain threatens to blow up the city"-plot they have to do in every. Single. Movie.

I'm all for a fresh change from the generic blowing up a city; I'm just criticising how it would look for Batman to have a movie that's just about him stopping the Joker from killing people and rescuing Jason in Gotham, to say Wonder Woman taking on the God of War and stopping a War of the Gods, Aquaman stopping a world flood, the Justice League taking on an alien invasion by Brainiac etc. It will just make Batman look weak in comparison which is what I don't want, and is especially a bigger concern when we remember Geoff Johns is writing the story.

AW8 wrote:When you have a movie that is directed by Ben Affleck, and stars Ben Affleck as Batman, exists in a franchise with Jared Leto as the Joker and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and its a veteran Batman who may indeed be the most definitive perfect Batman on the live screen to this date - you just cannot turn down the Joker. Its a guaranteed blockbuster hit that would certainly make well over $1 billion. No matter which other villain you could use, no one in this day and age would turn down The Joker for anyone else.

Which is a sad truth. I'm hyped for Leto's Joker, I've always loved Hamill, and Baker does a good job, but it is tiresome to see Joker squeezed in wherever Batman goes. One of the few good things with Beware the Batman was that they never did Joker and instead focused on other villains.

Our only hope is that even the mainstream audience gets tired of Joker at one point. Maybe in the year 2038 we get to see Hush, a proper Mr. Freeze or a Zero Year/Arkham City-esque Riddler on the silver screen.[/quote]

One of my personal hopes is that by 2018 (Which is when I think this movie will come out), Gotham will have run its course and replacing it is a new Gotham Central show set in the DCEU, focusing on the GCPD taking on the rest of Batman's villains that don't make it to the big screen. Like Mr Freeze, Penguin, Black Mask, Hush, Deacon Blackfire etc. all done right and in the same universe. It may not happen but a tv show would be a good way to appease the fans who want something different.

Its also possible we'll see some of Batman's other villains in the movies as well. I mean I for instance was not expecting to see Killer Croc in Suicide Squad (And potentially Hugo Strange as well), and I was not expecting to potentially see Nightwing as well as Red Hood in this movie. But there are dozens of opportunities. There are dozens of classic characters that haven't been done on the big screen yet - like Jason Tim and Damian. I want to see the DCEU get those characters done right and on the big screen and give them a great classic part that links them all together as a Bat family, and who brings them together and pulls them apart better than the Joker? Just my my own thoughts I can understand your frustration with not seeing perfect versions of great villains like Mr Freeze and the Scarecrow, but I'd willingly pay for tickets to see Batfleck's Bat family and Jared Leto's Joker go toe to toe on the big screen.

Imagine as well if they use Death OF the Family as inspiration too. It would be brilliant.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby JordanT4021 » Nov 2nd, 2015, 8:24 pm

Peel wrote:The thing is though, if you have an extremely talented oscar winning actor playing the role of the Joker in one big budget blockbuster movie, and if said actor has signed on for multiple movies within the franchise, and you are the director with an older veteran Batman, with a whole array of fantastic Batman stories that have never been done before - You just can't say no. It would be like making a Fantastic Four movie without Doctor Doom. A Thor movie without Loki. An X-Men movie without Magneto. He is the ultimate and most well suited adversary to Batman, and when you have him in the movie franchise like this, you just can't turn him away.

Sure that works for these films, where you constantly have the arch nemesis as a large player in all films, but thats only because they have to. Thor and Fantastic 4 don't have many villains that would translate well and would be difficult to portray in live action. I personally think that Loki's over involvement in the Marvel universe is a down side. They can only really rely on one strong villain.

Batman is not like that. He has literally hundreds of villains that could appear in his films that would be extremely entertaining. He doesn't need to rely on the Joker all the time. The shared DC universe also allows for him to be used in different areas. Its a little like the Arkham Knight issue. People were tired of Joker and didn't want him to be involved with the main game and people were disappointed when it didn't turn out this way.

A lot of big names in the old 90's batman series and the 00's Spiderman series were one-shot villains. I just want an original film without having to retread old stories. If they choose to make an adaptation of a classic Batman story, I just want it to be one we haven't seen before in animation or TV.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Mr Wayne » Apr 29th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Lets forget about BvS.....

Let's get onto Afflecks Solo film.

They released the image of Bruce looking over the *insert whichever robin you want it to be* suit on April 27th on the BvS insta account with the caption 'Twenty years in Gotham, how many good guys are left?' Same date however many years ago they killed off Jason Todd.

Hmm coincidence? Or confirmation?

El Mayimbe also reporting Affleck and Johns (moreso Affleck) have complete control over the Solo Batman movie. No involvement from Snyder, Roven etc.

WB taking news dates for films in 2018 and 2019. Batman solo one of them, 2018 hopefully. Comic Con reveal?

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby DatBat » Apr 30th, 2016, 3:14 am

Mr Wayne wrote:Lets forget about BvS.....

Let's get onto Afflecks Solo film.

They released the image of Bruce looking over the *insert whichever robin you want it to be* suit on April 27th on the BvS insta account with the caption 'Twenty years in Gotham, how many good guys are left?' Same date however many years ago they killed off Jason Todd.

Hmm coincidence? Or confirmation?

El Mayimbe also reporting Affleck and Johns (moreso Affleck) have complete control over the Solo Batman movie. No involvement from Snyder, Roven etc.

WB taking news dates for films in 2018 and 2019. Batman solo one of them, 2018 hopefully. Comic Con reveal?

EL Mayimbe is a fraud. Never believe a word from his mouth.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby Mr Wayne » Apr 30th, 2016, 6:06 pm

As I said in the SS thread when people started jumping on my back, I always take things with a grain of salt when people claim their 'sources' told them this and that. But it's still fun to speculate.

Don't understand the hate with El Mayimbe. Has got things wrong, but has gotten a lot of things right. As have most people who are in that business. It's easier to hate than appreciate.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby Bane » May 1st, 2016, 1:10 am

the fact that Geoff Johns is involved with this film kills my interest by 100%.

Giving control over the first Batman film since TDKR to a man who has done nothing good for Batman in his entire life, along with being a massive contributor to the ruining of the DC Universe is one the worst decisions I have seen in recent years.
Bane

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby BrunoBKMazing » May 1st, 2016, 6:32 am

Bane wrote:the fact that Geoff Johns is involved with this film kills my interest by 100%.

Giving control over the first Batman film since TDKR to a man who has done nothing good for Batman in his entire life, along with being a massive contributor to the ruining of the DC Universe is one the worst decisions I have seen in recent years.

Uh... Despite admitting that the first issues of the New 52 Justice League were very mediocre, Johns also wrote Batman Earth One Vol 1 and 2, and from what I heard, both were good stories. So, saying that this is "one of the worst decisions I have seen in recent years" is a little too much, isn't it?
Either way, to each their own. And personally, I also wish they had gotten someone like Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison, or even one of the Nolan brothers instead. But still, I'm fine Johns. Hoping for the best. :)
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Bane » May 1st, 2016, 8:22 am

BrunoBKMazing wrote:
Bane wrote:the fact that Geoff Johns is involved with this film kills my interest by 100%.

Uh... Despite admitting that the first issues of the New 52 Justice League were very mediocre, Johns also wrote Batman Earth One Vol 1 and 2, and from what I heard, both were good stories. So, saying that this is "one of the worst decisions I have seen in recent years" is a little too much, isn't it?
Either way, to each their own. And personally, I also wish they had gotten someone like Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison, or even one of the Nolan brothers instead. But still, I'm fine Johns. Hoping for the best. :)

Have you actually read Earth One? From what you've said, you haven't. I have, and they were appalling. For me personally, Johns has never written anything I've liked, and more often than not, what he writes usually pisses me off because of just how little he cares about the fans, and instead wants to change everything he writes to suit his personal tastes. Such as making Batman pathetic and useless just because he vastly prefers other characters.

Though, whereas most of his work is mediocre, everything he's ever done for Batman both in and outside of Earth One has been horrendous, and the decision to have him help with the film, over people who actually care about the character, is as I said before, one of the worst decisions I have seen in recent years.
Bane

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

PreviousNext

Return to DC Comics Movies