Batgirl - The Movie

Batman VS Superman, Justice League & the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe slate is huge - discuss!

Batgirl - The Movie

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Mar 30th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Variety wrote:Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.

Batgirl is one of the most popular superheroines in the world, but has never gotten her own movie. The project will also feature other characters from the world of Gotham.

Batgirl first appeared in DC Comics in 1967 as Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon in “The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!” by writer Gardner Fox and artist Carmine Infantino.

The Batgirl project will be the second movie from DC Films to star a female lead after Gal Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” which opens June 2. Extensive footage was shown Wednesday at CinemaCon.

Whedon would be making a big move from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to its DC counterpart, having written and directed “The Avengers” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” for Disney-Marvel. He also created the television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “Firefly,” “Dollhouse,” and “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

Warner Bros.’ DC Extended Universe launched with 2013’s “Man of Steel,” followed by last year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad.” Its upcoming films, which have already been dated, include “Wonder Woman,”; “Justice League,” debuting Nov. 17; and “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa and hitting theaters in December of 2018.

So... there is another DC movie coming up. Yay(?). I like the fact that Joss Whedon is involved. But, when it comes to CBMs that I look forward to, personally, a Batgirl solo film is just not at the top of my list. But yeah... are you excited for a Batgirl movie?
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: Batgirl - The Movie

Postby AW8 » Mar 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Would have preferred Oracle for the Nightwing movie instead (not a chance they're making this movie about Steph or Cass).
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 30th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Done well this could compete with Logan. I kinda like the idea of Batgirl making a Comeback after Joker shot her. Directed by Whedon this could really work. Batgirl Returns.

But then again, considering how they handled a Barbara solo story in the Killing Joke movie...

Spoiler: show
Please accept a sacrifice of my most delicious mead for the success of this movie oh Comic Gods!Image

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Mar 31st, 2017, 4:11 am

And... yup! The movie is gonna be about Barbara Gordon(AKA: My least favorite Batgirl).
Quite frankly, I don't think we'll ever see Tim Drake nor Stephanie Brown at the big screen. *sigh*

MaxSchreck wrote:Done well this could compete with Logan. I kinda like the idea of Batgirl making a Comeback after Joker shot her. Directed by Whedon this could really work. Batgirl Returns.

But then again, considering how they handled a Barbara solo story in the Killing Joke movie...

Please accept a sacrifice of my most delicious mead for the success of this movie oh Comic Gods!Image

I stopped buying comics before the New 52 kicked off. How did Barbara gain her legs back?
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Postby Mani-Man » Mar 31st, 2017, 10:55 am

That could be really interesting, i heard they want to take inspiration from Gail Simone, would be neat.
Lets see where this goes first.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 31st, 2017, 4:42 pm

BrunoBKMazing wrote:And... yup! The movie is gonna be about Barbara Gordon(AKA: My least favorite Batgirl).
Quite frankly, I don't think we'll ever see Tim Drake nor Stephanie Brown at the big screen. *sigh*

MaxSchreck wrote:Done well this could compete with Logan. I kinda like the idea of Batgirl making a Comeback after Joker shot her. Directed by Whedon this could really work. Batgirl Returns.

I stopped buying comics before the New 52 kicked off. How did Barbara gain her legs back?

She got a neural implant at a South African clinic -

Not sure how I feel about Barbara being chosen over Cassandra and Steph. Anything else would be wishful thinking at this point, though.

MaxSchreck

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Apr 5th, 2017, 5:41 am

MaxSchreck wrote:
BrunoBKMazing wrote:And... yup! The movie is gonna be about Barbara Gordon(AKA: My least favorite Batgirl).

She got a neural implant at a South African clinic -

Not sure how I feel about Barbara being chosen over Cassandra and Steph. Anything else would be wishful thinking at this point, though.

Thanks!
Err ... Personally, I would love to see that iconic scene from The Killing Joke in live action, but that miraculous solution to the loss of her lower body, in my opinion, works better in the comics (the place where nothing lasts forever).
In this case, what I would like to see, Barbara gets shot, but does not lose her legs' mobility, instead, she spends some time out of action due to her recovery and the fear of putting on the suit and fighting crime again. She eventually overcomes her trauma, and saves the day (yay! * Credits roll *).
Also, I have no idea of who could be a good choice for the movie villain. James Gordon Jr. ???
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 5th, 2017, 7:52 pm

In this case, what I would like to see, Barbara gets shot, but does not lose her legs' mobility, instead, she spends some time out of action due to her recovery and the fear of putting on the suit and fighting crime again. She eventually overcomes her trauma, and saves the day (yay! * Credits roll *).
Also, I have no idea of who could be a good choice for the movie villain. James Gordon Jr. ???

James Gordon Jr. could work. He is appropriately creepy - I think he put knifes in Barbara´s legs back in Black Mirror :I The movie should be very psychological and show him trying to mess with her head.
Alternatively they could also invent a Dceu Version of Scarecrow for the same thing.

MaxSchreck

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Apr 7th, 2017, 2:49 am

I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable controversy. Unfortunately, pretty much anything having to do with Barbara/the Killing Joke is extremely divisive.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 7th, 2017, 8:50 pm

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable controversy. Unfortunately, pretty much anything having to do with Barbara/the Killing Joke is extremely divisive.

Oh hell, I hadn´t even really thought about that yet...

MaxSchreck

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Apr 8th, 2017, 3:26 am

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable controversy. Unfortunately, pretty much anything having to do with Barbara/the Killing Joke is extremely divisive.

I'm not very familiar with the Batgirl comics, so for me, that's one of the most important stories of her character, it would be a crime to not take the opportunity. Also, I could do without the "naked pics/possible r.ape" part. There's no need to address it (at least, not in this film).
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 8th, 2017, 12:05 pm

BrunoBKMazing wrote:

I'm not very familiar with the Batgirl comics, so for me, that's one of the most important stories of her character, it would be a crime to not take the opportunity. Also, I could do without the "naked pics/possible r.ape" part. There's no need to address it (at least, not in this film).

Yeah, it probably would be better for the film if they leave that out.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Apr 8th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Its hard to say where a Batgirl movie should start or where the focus should be.

Personally i would like to see the origin story, because that would allow the movie to show batman as more of the symbol, seeing him as the people of gotham and Barbara see him and not from Bruce Waynes viewpoint.
That would be a nice change and gave us a different view on Batman, Gotham etc.

But i could also see a movie that starts after the killing joke and when Barbara is able to walk again.
Showing how she dealt with everything, a Hero who overcame something this tragic.

There is a lot they could do in terms of narration, style etc.
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » Apr 10th, 2017, 8:44 pm

I just want a Cassandra x Shiva storyline. Its all I need in life.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:09 pm

BrunoBKMazing wrote:

Some people don't like the Killing Joke because they think it's sexist when Joker hurts Barbara, even though Joker has hurt countless other men and women alike. They think it's misogynistic and disempowers a woman. Even the whole point is that it doesn't, that she's stays strong and adapts to her new situation and remains a total badass. But yes, the whole naked pics/implied sexual assault thing could and should be done away with.

I could see them doing some type of storyline with her and her father and Joker, where like halfway through, she gets paralyzed. Then, she comes back as Oracle and saves the day that way, or something. IDK.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Return to DC Comics Movies