Article: Why Arkham Origins 'Might Suck'

Talk about Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate from WB Games Montreal, Splash Damage and Armature Studios.

Article: Why Arkham Origins 'Might Suck'

Postby Joe Chill » Jun 5th, 2013, 5:15 am

It seems that not everyone has faith in WB Montreal.

The more I learn about Warner's upcoming Batman title, the less optimistic I become. I'm certainly not willing to write the game off just yet, but there are a couple of things that genuinely concern me.

Arkham City ended with a weighty exclamation point, and the Harley Quinn DLC proved that the storyline had more meat. But now Warner is winding back the clock, which keeps the players in the dark about Batman's reaction to the events of Arkham City.

The writer makes some valid points, but nothing we haven't discussed here. He goes on to claim Origins may simply be a "filler title", but I think most of us can disagree with that. From everything we've seen, I'm excited about what WB Montreal has to offer.

What do you think? What concerns you most about the latest installment in WB's Arkham franchise?

Source
Joe Chill
Global Mod
Global Mod

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: Article: Why Arkham Origins 'Might Suck'

Postby ChaosThe15th » Jun 5th, 2013, 6:39 am

I wouldn't call it a filler title , but I do see It as a way warner bros is giving us our arkham fix while arkham 3 is in development. It wont suck though and has the potential to be great.
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jun 5th, 2013, 7:22 am

So basically, he's saying that it might suck cause the developers are new, it feels like a filler story, and that it's an "origin story" of sorts. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

So far from the previews we've seen, I think WB Montreal knows what they're doing. They're not changing anything that isn't broken (the free-flow combat system, for example) and are adding some new features that will improve upon these features without changing it. The whole 'Rocksteady quality' thing they mentioned back then really got me convinced that they're doing their best to live up to the quality the last two games had.

As for it being a filler story, okay, maybe it's kinda true. This could simply be our fix for an Arkham game, but it's looking great, and the story choice is pretty interesting, so I'm not complaining. Lastly, the origin story bit, it's not bad at all. This is the Arkham universe, which is different from the comics, so I would definitely like to see how Batman first encountered some of his villains here. Is it faithful to the comics? Maybe it's better, or they add a little twist that makes it a bit more interesting. Either ways, it's an Arkham game, and I'm looking forward to it.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby TFDutchman » Jun 5th, 2013, 9:01 am

Not particularly valid arguments in any regard and nothing he states is of real concern.

1 - New Developer. Rocksteady created Arkham Asylum with next to no experience. WB Montreal have experience with porting Arkham City to WiiU and also have Rocksteady's support. And so far early reactions to the game have said that it feels and plays just like Arkham City, so no concern there.

2 - Going back instead of forwards. Again, this is something some people may find disappointing, but that doesn't have any overall effect on the quality of the title. Just Gamer expectations of what they wanted next. But as has been suggested, Rocksteady may still be developing the Arkham City sequel for Next Gen release next year. Therefore the Sequels are still in the hands of the original developers while the prequels are in the hands of WB Montreal. Again, not reflective of the quality of the game.

3 - Origin stories. The writer misinterprets the concept of the word "Origin" on this one. He assumes that we'll be seeing the actual origins of the villains and with so many villains assumes that this would be too much for the story. Incorrect assumption. In the case of this game, Origins refers to first encounters and relationships between Batman and his rogue's gallery and other characters. We won't necessarily see the events that make these villains who they are, but this will be Batman's first encounter with that villain.

So yea, overall the article is rather moot and his concerns are somewhat invalid. Any current concerns I believe will be put to rest at E3.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 5th, 2013, 11:41 am

Oh what a shame, as i was clicking on this i was expecting an article of a big gaming site....why should i listen to somebody who writes an article for some no name gaming site????

Its like reading a comment from a youtube video.

I rather listen to what the serious sites have to say about the game, e3 is in 1-2 weeks, after that we will be able to see what AO really has to offer.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 5th, 2013, 11:48 am

To be honest , when I first heard that the main story of the game would be centered around Black Mask who hires eight assassins to kill Batman I was rather unimpressed . It kinda sounded like a bad fanfic . I also didn`t like the christmas setting and the fact that Geoff Johns is involved in the development of the game ( since Johns doesn`t understand the character at all in my opinion ) , but the screenshots and the trailer looked incredibly good , so I doub that WB Montreal will mess this up .

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jun 5th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Mani-Man wrote:Oh what a shame, as i was clicking on this i was expecting an article of a big gaming site....why should i listen to somebody who writes an article for some no name gaming site????

I rather listen to what the serious sites have to say about the game, e3 is in 1-2 weeks, after that we will be able to see what AO really has to offer.

It's still journalism. You'll often find in some cases that these 'no name' sites actually have a lot to offer in terms of content and talent. This article however wasn't written with an open mind I feel.

Just because a website is 'big' doesn't mean their opinions in their articles are any more valid than the opinions of a blogger.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 5th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:Oh what a shame, as i was clicking on this i was expecting an article of a big gaming site....why should i listen to somebody who writes an article for some no name gaming site????

It's still journalism. You'll often find in some cases that these 'no name' sites actually have a lot to offer in terms of content and talent. This article however wasn't written with an open mind I feel.

Just because a website is 'big' doesn't mean their opinions in their articles are any more valid than the opinions of a blogger.

True, for example igns reviews are considerd by many to be the worst reviews around.
For many people ign lost a lot of credibility over the years.

Still this article lost me already after reading the stuff joe chill quoted.
The thing is, the bigger gaming sites are the ones that actually get to see the games so it makes it easier to listen to their previews ect.

In general i am one of the people who bases his opinion on a game once gameplay material is released.I dont care about reviews,previews ect that much. Once gameplay videos,infos ect are released i build my own opinion.
Mani-Man

Postby TFDutchman » Jun 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:To be honest , when I first heard that the main story of the game would be centered around Black Mask who hires eight assassins to kill Batman I was rather unimpressed . It kinda sounded like a bad fanfic . I also didn`t like the christmas setting and the fact that Geoff Johns is involved in the development of the game ( since Johns doesn`t understand the character at all in my opinion ) , but the screenshots and the trailer looked incredibly good , so I doub that WB Montreal will mess this up .

As DC's Chief Creative Officer, Geoff Johns is pretty much involved in every DC related project. That's his job. Same with Joe Quesada over at Marvel. It's his job to essentially act as a liaison with all branches of marketing and development on properties based on DC Characters to ensure that they remain true to the essence of the character's and their history.

Mani-Man wrote:True, for example igns reviews are considerd by many to be the worst reviews around.
For many people ign lost a lot of credibility over the years.

IGN Reviews are the only ones I ever really pay attention to, and even then I prefer those reviews to be done by Greg Miller. Generally his reviews are the ones I agree with most. I never really pay much attention to anyone else.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby jifw52 » Jun 5th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Yeah, this article seems valid. About Rocksteady's next game, though I hope it is a sequel, I still see people on Twitter and YouTube constantly saying that Rocksteady is still making a Silver Age game, which is probably false.
You are the product of everything you fear: violence, darkness, helplessness. All that remains is for you to watch, as I drag your beloved Gotham into oblivion. -Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Knight
jifw52

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby Mr. E » Jun 5th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Yeah, I've seen several articles similar to this one, with people complaining that Rocksteady isn't developing it, and that it's not a sequel. It's all rubbish.

Rocksteady made one game before Arkham Asylum, and it received very mixed reviews. But now that they've made two solid Batman games, they are now the absolute ONLY developer capable of doing so? Rubbish.

Furthermore, wanting a sequel and then whining about it when it doesn't happen is just plain childish. It's a symptom of this ridiculous sense of entitlement that this generation seems to have developed. Rocksteady has given us two amazing Batman games, and they've laid the groundwork for a third (albeit from a new developer). Rocksteady doesn't owe us anything.
I'm the beginning of end, the end of time and space. Essential to creation, I surround every place.
Mr. E

Favourite Villain: All of them
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby Jostru » Jun 5th, 2013, 11:03 pm

I don't see how Origins would be filler. I think it's a pretty smart move. They keep the fans interested with Origins, while they're working on Arkham 3. Not to mention the possibilities it could give us. Seeing how there's a pretty large gap between Origins and Arkham Asylum, I could definitely see them making a sequel or even 2 to Origins, which all takes place before Asylum.

Sure we know certain things won't happen to certain characters, but they still have a lot of material to work with. And they could set certain things up in Origins that will be of importance in Arkham 3.

It's a pretty good strategy, tbh.
Jostru

Postby gary2692 » Jun 6th, 2013, 3:27 pm

chaos15 wrote:I wouldn't call it a filler title , but I do see It as a way warner bros is giving us our arkham fix while arkham 3 is in development. It wont suck though and has the potential to be great.

Don't be a spoil sport! :lol:

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Wyrewho » Jun 7th, 2013, 10:06 pm

What I don't get is people are treating AO as if it will be vastly inferior to A3. We know little to know info on A3 and so far AO is turning out wonderfully. The way I see it the Arkham series could now keep it's gameplay virtually the same for all the future installments, as long as the game have plentiful amounts of villains, stories and locations, the games will succeed. The games should be ranked as to each specific person's personal taste, as it already is with AA and AC they are that tightly matched, the comics and the movies. And I for one hope it continues that way.
Wyrewho

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Postby TheBatman1357 » Jun 8th, 2013, 1:36 am

I'm not too worried about Arkham Origins but actually I'm pretty excited about it. Even though it's being done by WB Montreal, they are still working with Rocksteady on it and they are adding new features. We already know there is a sequel to Arkham City coming and we'll find out what Batman's reaction was to the events that occured in Arkham City.
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. ~ Terry Pratchett
TheBatman1357

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Next

Return to Arkham Origins & Blackgate Discussion