Why Arkham Origins Sucks Discussion

Talk about Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate from WB Games Montreal, Splash Damage and Armature Studios.

Re: Why Arkham Origins Sucks Discussion

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 11th, 2015, 12:34 pm

I know no one really cares, but where the hell did Joker drive out of the merchants bank? Go around the back and it's just solid walls.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby johnsyggel » Jan 11th, 2015, 1:44 pm

HaHaHa wrote:I know no one really cares, but where the hell did Joker drive out of the merchants bank? Go around the back and it's just solid walls.

Haven't thought about that...Through one of the walls,maybe? :oldyella: Are you sure you can go back to the room where the Joker was before the explosion?I don't know,i should play the game once more to check it out.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 11th, 2015, 5:40 pm

johnsyggel wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:I know no one really cares, but where the hell did Joker drive out of the merchants bank? Go around the back and it's just solid walls.

Haven't thought about that...Through one of the walls,maybe? :oldyella: Are you sure you can go back to the room where the Joker was before the explosion?I don't know,i should play the game once more to check it out.

He drives out of a hole in the wall in the vault but yeah no hole in the wall outside afterwards.
HaHaHa

Postby RdJokr » Jan 13th, 2015, 4:19 am

HaHaHa wrote:
johnsyggel wrote:

He drives out of a hole in the wall in the vault but yeah no hole in the wall outside afterwards.

Just something the dev overlooked I guess.
RdJokr

Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Harvey Bullock » Feb 17th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Recently made an article on this subject matter. Provocative title aside, I hope even those who don't care for Origins enjoy it. :)

http://whatculture.com/gaming/12-reason ... rigins.php
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Sionis the Boss » Feb 18th, 2015, 1:33 pm

There was so much wrong with this game. Yes they added the batplane, and yes they added the batcave, but they were so utterly useless i finished the campaign thrice and never had to unlock a batplane sector or whatever. The batcave was also extremely boring. Seeing alfred was cool. Almost seeing him die, not so much. The side missions were so lazily made i felt a twelve year old wrote them! 'Go beat these guys up over her, now over there, now under there". Sometimes you got to destroy a weapons stash or drug stash (conveniently in makeup dispensers). The plot, which had a genius premise, was almost disgustingly executed. I prefer watching the epic CG trailer than playing the actual game! My favorite part were the cinematics, which i have to admit, were pretty damn good. All the assassins except Bane were disappointments, and Bane was way over used. Firefly had a fun boss fight but the game could have gone on without him, and most of you already know how the rest were ruined. My biggest problem was how they up staged Black Mask like he was some worthless character. I love Joker but every Arkham game has had him as its indefinate main villain. Even Rocksteady knows it's time for a break. I could go on for much, much, much longer, but we've all heard it a million times. :blackmask:
Sionis the Boss

Favourite Villain: Joker and Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Mans Land + WG

Postby HaHaHa » Feb 19th, 2015, 10:29 am

Harvey Bullock wrote:Recently made an article on this subject matter. Provocative title aside, I hope even those who don't care for Origins enjoy it. :)

11. I did not enjoy playing as Bruce in Origins with his "arrogant and holier-than-thou" attitude. That's something I would expect more of a teenage Bruce where he's had the time to make mistakes and develop as a human being. I certainly didn't feel like I was trying to make Gotham a better place playing as Bruce in Origins.

9. The crime scene investigation rewinding and fast forwarding looking for the red arrows bored me. Enough said.

8. Yes WBM introduced the martial artist and armored enforcer but both are using animations found in the code of Arkham City I believe. Certainly the martial artist.

7. You haven't actually gone on to say why the boss battles in Origins are better than those in City.

5. As a musician I can say the Origins soundtrack is the least interesting to me. Nick Arundel's score for City is more intricate and dynamic with changes in character themes whereas Christopher Drakes score is just repetitive, loud and in your face. It has no subtleties. Actually Christopher Drakes score is a representation of the WBM ethos 'louder and bigger must equal better'.

4. As for the open world Gotham I have no idea why you're citing this as we've spoken before and both agreed it was unnecessary.
HaHaHa

Postby Sionis the Boss » Feb 19th, 2015, 3:42 pm

HaHaHa wrote:
Harvey Bullock wrote:Recently made an article on this subject matter. Provocative title aside, I hope even those who don't care for Origins enjoy it. :)

11. I did not enjoy playing as Bruce in Origins with his "arrogant and holier-than-thou" attitude. That's something I would expect more of a teenage Bruce where he's had the time to make mistakes and develop as a human being. I certainly didn't feel like I was trying to make Gotham a better place playing as Bruce in Origins.

9. The crime scene investigation rewinding and fast forwarding looking for the red arrows bored me. Enough said.

8. Yes WBM introduced the martial artist and armored enforcer but both are using animations found in the code of Arkham City I believe. Certainly the martial artist.

7. You haven't actually gone on to say why the boss battles in Origins are better than those in City.

5. As a musician I can say the Origins soundtrack is the least interesting to me. Nick Arundel's score for City is more intricate and dynamic with changes in character themes whereas Christopher Drakes score is just repetitive, loud and in your face. It has no subtleties. Actually Christopher Drakes score is a representation of the WBM ethos 'louder and bigger must equal better'.

4. As for the open world Gotham I have no idea why you're citing this as we've spoken before and both agreed it was unnecessary.

These are all amazing points, and i'd like to expand on some. The boss fights were not that great. The only innovative one was firefly's, and, again, it was pointless. Killer Croc was the most boring fight ever, and it felt like battleing bowser in mario galaxy. The crime scene rewind basically imploded on itself. First off it was so boring. Second, why didn't he use that in arkham City? He would have found Hush in like, two minutes.Were the developers thinking about that at all? I'd like to add that their creation of Gotham in this game was pathetic. It was Arkham City with a bridge to a far less interesting part of Gotham. And that snow storm wasnt even that bad! God i hate this game :blackmask:
Sionis the Boss

Favourite Villain: Joker and Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Mans Land + WG

Postby johnsyggel » Feb 19th, 2015, 5:35 pm

HaHaHa wrote:

People always ask for an open world Gotham and when they have it,they say it's unnecessary.Ah,the human nature...
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby HaHaHa » Feb 19th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Sionis the Boss wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:

These are all amazing points, and i'd like to expand on some. The boss fights were not that great. The only innovative one was firefly's, and, again, it was pointless. Killer Croc was the most boring fight ever, and it felt like battleing bowser in mario galaxy. The crime scene rewind basically imploded on itself. First off it was so boring. Second, why didn't he use that in arkham City? He would have found Hush in like, two minutes.Were the developers thinking about that at all? I'd like to add that their creation of Gotham in this game was pathetic. It was Arkham City with a bridge to a far less interesting part of Gotham. And that snow storm wasnt even that bad! God i hate this game :blackmask:

Yeah the boss battles is a funny one. I've read again and again how people insist the boss battles in Origins are superior to City's without really going into detail why. The Origins boss battles had nothing new to offer other than the Deathstroke boss battle which tested you on timing reversals perfectly. Other than that they are just redressed mechanics from City.
HaHaHa

Postby batman404 » Feb 19th, 2015, 6:04 pm

^ And Asylum, the Firefly boss fight was pretty similar to Poison Ivy's (with a few obvious differences).
batman404

Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby HaHaHa » Feb 19th, 2015, 6:05 pm

johnsyggel wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:

People always ask for an open world Gotham and when they have it,they say it's unnecessary.Ah,the human nature...

We'll have to wait and see how Arkham Knight fairs(fares?) up.

-- Feb 19th, 2015, 6:19 pm --

johnsyggel wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:

We'll have to wait and see how Arkham Knight fairs(fares?) up.

-- Feb 19th, 2015, 6:19 pm --

batman404 wrote:^ And Asylum, the Firefly boss fight was pretty similar to Poison Ivy's (with a few obvious differences).

Oh yeah I'd forgotten that. Truth be told I can't really remember being excited to play the Ivy boss battle in Asylum so it's hardly a great one to base the Firefly boss battle on.
HaHaHa

Postby Harvey Bullock » Feb 20th, 2015, 12:50 pm

HaHaHa wrote:

11. Sorry, I don't really understand what you're getting at. Characters don't just magically transition to an established force - it was made obvious in Origins that Bruce was in his early years as Batman and was thus bound to make mistakes. This literally just comes down to "which batman you prefer".

9. But you won't even acknowledge the attempt to innovate in that area where Rocksteady hadn't?

8. They still used them. Clearly they saw a use for it and they made the effort into bringing them into the game.

7. I said why the boss battles in Asylum and City were lame - they lacked intricacy and were often moulded on other enemy types. I don't have the word count to go into a step-by-step analysis of Arkham's bosses.

5. I don't really notice the repetitiveness - Arundel's score repeated certain themes - it's a theme after all. They get repeated.

4. I'm not allowed to discuss something because it's already been discussed? Don't be ridiculous. The point made was that the environment had more life to it than people made it out to be.

Also, innovation> continuity. You'd honestly want the devs to not include innovative ideas just because their predecessors didn't think to include it in the first place?

Also, I find it hilarious how Firefly seems to get such a hard time from everyone but people just seem to negate the hilariously shit job that Bane was given in Asylum and City. He was just a glorified titan thug yet I don't see anyone harping on about his terrible boss fights.
Harvey Bullock

Postby HaHaHa » Feb 20th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:

11. Sorry, I don't really understand what you're getting at. Characters don't just magically transition to an established force - it was made obvious in Origins that Bruce was in his early years as Batman and was thus bound to make mistakes. This literally just comes down to "which batman you prefer".

9. But you won't even acknowledge the attempt to innovate in that area where Rocksteady hadn't?

8. They still used them. Clearly they saw a use for it and they made the effort into bringing them into the game.

7. I said why the boss battles in Asylum and City were lame - they lacked intricacy and were often moulded on other enemy types. I don't have the word count to go into a step-by-step analysis of Arkham's bosses.

5. I don't really notice the repetitiveness - Arundel's score repeated certain themes - it's a theme after all. They get repeated.

4. I'm not allowed to discuss something because it's already been discussed? Don't be ridiculous. The point made was that the environment had more life to it than people made it out to be.

Also, innovation> continuity. You'd honestly want the devs to not include innovative ideas just because their predecessors didn't think to include it in the first place?

Also, I find it hilarious how Firefly seems to get such a hard time from everyone but people just seem to negate the hilariously shit job that Bane was given in Asylum and City. He was just a glorified titan thug yet I don't see anyone harping on about his terrible boss fights.

11. I'm saying that I don't feel inspired playing as Bruce in Origins when he's so skeptical and distrusting. That goes for any character in any video game.

9. Innovation is no guarantee of success. I wouldn't even call the crime scene investigations innovative. More like expanding.

8. I don't dispute that but the lack of original ideas does little for WBM's creative integrity especially when they're taking the ideas and work of others and passing it off as their own.

7. You didn't say at all in your article why you thought the boss battles in Asylum or City were inferior. The reasons you credit the Origins boss battles with are more to do with character assessment than gameplay.

I'm sorry for being so blunt Ewan but you must anticipate backlash when you tell people they're wrong about something they feel incredibly passionate about. It certainly caught my eye though which I'm sure was your intention.
HaHaHa

Postby Harvey Bullock » Feb 20th, 2015, 5:21 pm

HaHaHa wrote:
Harvey Bullock wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:

11. I'm saying that I don't feel inspired playing as Bruce in Origins when he's so skeptical and distrusting. That goes for any character in any video game.

9. Innovation is no guarantee of success. I wouldn't even call the crime scene investigations innovative. More like expanding.

8. I don't dispute that but the lack of original ideas does little for WBM's creative integrity especially when they're taking the ideas and work of others and passing it off as their own.

7. You didn't say at all in your article why you thought the boss battles in Asylum or City were inferior. The reasons you credit the Origins boss battles with are more to do with character assessment than gameplay.

I'm sorry for being so blunt Ewan but you must anticipate backlash when you tell people they're wrong about something they feel incredibly passionate about. It certainly caught my eye though which I'm sure was your intention.

I wouldn't exactly call this post a backlash...

11. Batman has always been sceptical and distrusting... he's Batman.

9. So we're arguing semantics now? Whilst innovation doesn't always guarantee success, the desire to make changes should be appreciated.

8. That's so scathing - you're making out the developers to be some sort of crooks when the assets that Rocksteady CHOSE not to use were made available to them. Chill.

7. Gameplay and character go hand in hand - point is that the cinematic scale of the bosses coupled with better interpretations of characters led to a much broader and more enjoyable set of bosses than the previous games. As boss-fights for Asylum and City go the only truly inventive ones were Killer Croc and Mr Freeze - the rest were naff.

And again, the intention of the title was to be provocative as it attracts more attention that way, but you shouldn't feel so burned by it. It's the internet.
Harvey Bullock

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Origins & Blackgate Discussion