Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Talk about Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate from WB Games Montreal, Splash Damage and Armature Studios.

Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby Mr. E » Mar 26th, 2014, 12:21 am

EDITED BY ADMIN:
If you want to say how you don't like Arkham Origins, please use this thread. We don't want to see it here. :alfred: -RR

It's been roughly six months since the release of Arkham Origins, and over the course of them, I've gone back and played each of the three Arkham games in the order they were released. Afterwards, I concluded that while Arkham Asylum broke new ground in terms of what a superhero game could be, and Arkham City took that concept to dizzying heights, Arkham Origins is the greatest Batman game ever made, and easily outdoes its predecessors with its details.

The first two games are great, don't get me wrong. But Origins actually gave us a real, functioning Batcave for the first time, complete with a Batsuit chamber and an Alfred. Origins gave us a fast-travel system. Origins gave us new enemy types and bad-ass boss battles against Deathstroke, Bane, and Firefly (that's three great boss battles in one game, which is more than I can say for the previous two). Origins finally allowed us to beat the Joker to a pulp.

Origins has a massive map with amazing new cityscapes that are, again, equally reminiscent of both Schumacher and Burton's Gotham, but even more so than in City. Origins let us infiltrate the GCPD and sneak past Jim Gordon. Origins tells a more character-driven story than either Asylum or City. Origins has the "Crime in Progress" feature, which gives you the ability to just boot up the game, choose a Batsuit, make a few remarks to Alfred, jump into the Batwing, fly into Gotham City and patrol the streets, just like Batman.

More than any game before it, Arkham Origins allows to you to feel just like Batman, which is what these games are essentially supposed to be - Batman simulators. And Arkham Origins accomplishes this better than either Asylum or City.

Arkham Origins is the best of the series, and most definitely the best Batman game ever made. Arkham Knight is going to blow it away, naturally, but as of now, Origins holds the trophy.
I'm the beginning of end, the end of time and space. Essential to creation, I surround every place.
Mr. E

Favourite Villain: All of them
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby johnsyggel » Mar 26th, 2014, 12:47 am

Your post is going to raise tons of arguing replies,reaction and critisism.I,for one,like AO a lot,better than AC.Maybe this is a reply to the "Why AO sucks" thread...All i'm saying is,we're all Batman and Arkhamverse fans,no need to argue.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Mr. E » Mar 26th, 2014, 12:52 am

I'm just a guy sharing his opinion, John. Nothing more... :riddler:
I'm the beginning of end, the end of time and space. Essential to creation, I surround every place.
Mr. E

Favourite Villain: All of them
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby batwayne007 » Mar 26th, 2014, 1:26 am

I agree with your opinion.
Batman: DO YOU WANNA GET NUTS??!! COME ON!! let's get nuts.
Joker: Tell me something my friend. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Batman: What?
batwayne007
Banned
Banned

Favourite Villain: MISTAH FREEEZE
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby legion » Mar 26th, 2014, 3:00 am

Love the game. Couldn't agree more.
Sanity is Overrated
legion

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask

Postby HaHaHa » Mar 26th, 2014, 6:54 am

Mr. E wrote:It's been roughly six months since the release of Arkham Origins, and over the course of them, I've gone back and played each of the three Arkham games in the order they were released. Afterwards, I concluded that while Arkham Asylum broke new ground in terms of what a superhero game could be, and Arkham City took that concept to dizzying heights, Arkham Origins is the greatest Batman game ever made, and easily outdoes its predecessors with its details.

The first two games are great, don't get me wrong. But Origins actually gave us a real, functioning Batcave for the first time, complete with a Batsuit chamber and an Alfred. Origins gave us a fast-travel system. Origins gave us new enemy types and bad-ass boss battles against Deathstroke, Bane, and Firefly (that's three great boss battles in one game, which is more than I can say for the previous two). Origins finally allowed us to beat the Joker to a pulp.

Origins has a massive map with amazing new cityscapes that are, again, equally reminiscent of both Schumacher and Burton's Gotham, but even more so than in City. Origins let us infiltrate the GCPD and sneak past Jim Gordon. Origins tells a more character-driven story than either Asylum or City. Origins has the "Crime in Progress" feature, which gives you the ability to just boot up the game, choose a Batsuit, make a few remarks to Alfred, jump into the Batwing, fly into Gotham City and patrol the streets, just like Batman.

More than any game before it, Arkham Origins allows to you to feel just like Batman, which is what these games are essentially supposed to be - Batman simulators. And Arkham Origins accomplishes this better than either Asylum or City.

Arkham Origins is the best of the series, and most definitely the best Batman game ever made. Arkham Knight is going to blow it away, naturally, but as of now, Origins holds the trophy.

:oldyella: For a moment I thought you were being serious!
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby Nathan » Mar 26th, 2014, 8:37 am

HaHaHa wrote:
Mr. E wrote:It's been roughly six months since the release of Arkham Origins, and over the course of them, I've gone back and played each of the three Arkham games in the order they were released. Afterwards, I concluded that while Arkham Asylum broke new ground in terms of what a superhero game could be, and Arkham City took that concept to dizzying heights, Arkham Origins is the greatest Batman game ever made, and easily outdoes its predecessors with its details.

:oldyella: For a moment I thought you were being serious!

Why wouldn't he be?
Nathan

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby Jexx » Mar 26th, 2014, 9:08 am

Oh my god I can't believe I never thought about adding transparent effects to avatars.
Want to try out a way to earn stuff for free? Click Here!
I'm a sellout
Jexx

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke/Deadshot

Postby Harvey Bullock » Mar 26th, 2014, 10:30 am

Fantastic. Couldn't agree more.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby RdJokr » Mar 26th, 2014, 3:27 pm

If only people were more open-minded like you, they might have noticed all this. I definitely felt like Batman more than I did with AA and AC (a glitchy, buggy Batman at first, but still, a Batman).
RdJokr

Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby BatmanEM » Mar 26th, 2014, 7:51 pm

OP I agree with your post 100%. I too loved both AA and AC, but in my opinion AO is the best of the three for reasons you already stated. It had fair share of bugs on release for sure, but none the less was still great.

My only personal gripe with the game was the lack of Kevin Conroy. Roger Craig Smith did a great job yes, but it still wasn't the same for me in that regard.
Last edited by BatmanEM on Mar 26th, 2014, 7:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steam: The Blue Falcon
XBL: BatmanEM
BatmanEM

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Red_Robin » Mar 26th, 2014, 8:03 pm

ORIGINAL POST OF TOPIC EDITED BY ADMIN: If you want to say how you don't like Arkham Origins, please use this thread. We don't want to see it here. :alfred: -RR
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Red_Hood » Mar 26th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I could say I liked it for Bane

"Say hi to Joker for me."
Red_Hood

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby johnsyggel » Mar 26th, 2014, 9:47 pm

I'll try to write down all the elements i liked in AO.It's going to be tough...
-Bane.They finally gave him justice.
-Batcave,for the first time in the Arkhamverse.
-Alfred.We saw him in person,not just hearing his voice.Also his sequences were fantastic,you all know which ones i mean.
-Joker.I have to be honest here,i was never a great fan of his RS looks.The AO version was younger and more true to the character,i think.
-Character design.WBM really knocked it out of the park,every single one was fantastic.
-Gotham.Again,we saw her for the first time,at least,New Gotham.
-Deathstroke.I never liked him before,he seemed an invincible Superman,considering his powers.But thanks to AO,i really loved him!
-Βaman's and Joker's voices.I know,i know,Conroy and Hammill are top notch and nobody will ever top them.But RCS and Baker had a tough job,they had to bring something new to the voices while maintaining their predecessors' "magic".Imo,RCS did a finer job,his voice was almost identical to KC's some times.
-Gordon.Just like Joker,he looked and sounded better in AO than in the other games.
-Harv Bullock.It was a surprise.
-The story.I felt the story in AA and AC was very linear,very forced.You had to do what nedded to be done and you couldn't slip from that.
-Boss fights.No need to say more.Especially the Deathstroke battle was one of my two favourites of the franchise,the other being Freeze's.
Sorry for the long post..
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Mr Wayne » Mar 27th, 2014, 12:45 am

Good read. While Origins for me is the 3rd best in the Arkham series for me, I can see why for others and after reading this for yourself it is the best.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Next

Return to Arkham Origins & Blackgate Discussion