Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Talk about Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate from WB Games Montreal, Splash Damage and Armature Studios.

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Nov 21st, 2014, 4:00 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
Red_Hood wrote:I like the Joker in AO, but I hate the way how he comes into the story.

It is alright IF it wouldnt be their "FIRST" meeting, for the first ecounter between the two...it was dissapointing.

I thought it was awesome! :batman: :joker:
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Mani-Man » Nov 21st, 2014, 5:12 pm

M. Malone wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:
Red_Hood wrote:I like the Joker in AO, but I hate the way how he comes into the story.

It is alright IF it wouldnt be their "FIRST" meeting, for the first ecounter between the two...it was dissapointing.

I think the "problem" was that City had basicly the same story twist.
Not many people were surprised as the joker revealed himself as black mask, because we had something similar in City.

Otherwise i think it would have been really cool.
Mani-Man

Postby M. Malone » Dec 3rd, 2014, 12:37 am

Mani-Man wrote:
M. Malone wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:

Not many people were surprised as the joker revealed himself as black mask, because we had something similar in City.

True, but I wasn't referencing the un-masking part so much as the interaction between Bats and Joker. I thought the 'Aha!' moments for each of them were really cool and well done.
M. Malone

Postby Red leader » Feb 25th, 2015, 12:57 pm

M. Malone wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:
M. Malone wrote:
Mani-Man wrote:

True, but I wasn't referencing the un-masking part so much as the interaction between Bats and Joker. I thought the 'Aha!' moments for each of them were really cool and well done.

Oh definitely, in fact AO joker is the best version of the character out of comics. Heck I like him more than quite a few of the comic version.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby HaHaHa » Mar 4th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I just got round to playing the Firefly mission in Origins and it is actually pretty good. I like the buildup and the bridge interior. My only gripe is that it feels oddly placed in the narrative. I would've put it earlier as the Royal Hotel felt like the perfect climatic point before Blackgate.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby M. Malone » Mar 6th, 2015, 12:19 am

HaHaHa wrote:I just got round to playing the Firefly mission in Origins and it is actually pretty good. I like the buildup and the bridge interior. My only gripe is that it feels oddly placed in the narrative. I would've put it earlier as the Royal Hotel felt like the perfect climatic point before Blackgate.

Agreed. But placement aside, it was one of my favorite parts of the game.
M. Malone

Postby Killer Croc » Mar 6th, 2015, 12:48 am

While Origins is a truly great game by standard measures, it is definitely not on par with either Asylum or City by Arkham standards. I'm replaying City for the third time and this game is just perfect and it gets better every time! Story, characters, setting, gameplay - it nails everything and it's all beutifully woven together once you realize how it all hangs together (something few of us did back when playing it the 1st time)! Before that I replayed Asylum and while its not as good as city it sure accomplishes all earlier mentioned categories except gameplay.

Origins however; the story is messy, filled with plotholes and really feels bland and unoriginal.

The characters, while good, are none as interesting as the Asylum/City characters except the ones which appear there too like Penguin who is pretty much reused exactly the same. Bane sure was an improvement and some of the assassins were great like Deathstroke, but I don't think that Origins succeeds with Joker as well as Dini.

The Batman/Joker relation in City is just perfect and is exactly what it is all about. Joker in Origins misses his elaborate scheming from Asylum and City (Blowing up Gotham with bombs. Really Joker?) while he is also regurarly out of character (the whole Black Mask plot is just weird and feels very un-Joker like). He's also not as fun - Dini clearly understand this character better than the Origins writers. Same with Killer Croc, he wasn't even frightening in Origins, neither by looks or personality. He frankly looked and acted like a joke.

The setting is bland and boring, just a regular city with snow and christmas decor. Asylum has the creepy facilities, the beautiful gardens, the sewers and of course I love how the island transforms from a prison to a madhouse to a big freaking garden for Ivy. City is even better with the really original concept of Arkham City which opens up for thousands of possibilities. The setting so drastically different depending on whose turf it is while I love how all the factions interact with each other and as such change the environments (with protocol 10 ultimately blowing much of it up. Can't really say anything for Origins, none of the locations was even close to Rocksteady standards except the Final Offer and that is because it is more or less a copy of the Museum from City.

As for gameplay it is exactly the same as City - which I suppose is good but I would have liked some improvement at least (and not that stupid WayneTech upgrade tree which ruined the concept of leveling up...)

Now it may sound like I hate Origins but I don't, it's still my 3rd favourite game of all time, but it is not even half as good as 2nd and 1st - Asylum and City. I can frankly don't understand how anyone could ever claim it is the best game of the series.

EDIT: Do we have any official poll for which of the three game we like most on this site? :adam:
Killer Croc

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby HaHaHa » Mar 6th, 2015, 7:40 am

M. Malone wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:I just got round to playing the Firefly mission in Origins and it is actually pretty good. I like the buildup and the bridge interior. My only gripe is that it feels oddly placed in the narrative. I would've put it earlier as the Royal Hotel felt like the perfect climatic point before Blackgate.

Agreed. But placement aside, it was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Definitely. Looks incredible on PC with max settings

-- Mar 6th, 2015, 8:29 am --

Killer Croc wrote:
(Blowing up Gotham with bombs. Really Joker?)

Yes it's truly amazing that Gotham still stands after Origins. Joker has everywhere rigged with bombs. Firefly has the bridge rigged with bombs. Anarky has corporate buildings rigged with bombs. The amount of destruction in Gotham over one night is ludicrous!
HaHaHa

Postby M. Malone » Mar 6th, 2015, 2:54 pm

@ Killer Croc: No offense, but your last post should have been posted in the "Why Arkham Origins Sucks" thread, not here.

I understand everything boils down to personal opinion. I for one never got the impression that the Final Offer was a museum copy. And, in fact, felt that in terms of atmosphere, Origins was on par with, and at times superior to the previous offerings.

Anyway, my main point is this: While you felt that Croc was disappointing in Origins, I would have to highly disagree. The reason is because I have the opportunity to play the game in full stereo 3D. Myself and two other buddies were screaming like terrified, giddy schoolgirls during the Croc battle. It's pretty insane when his teeth are seemingly chomping your nose and his tongue is licking your forehead right between your eyes. We all winced backward during that sequence.

- And that's what I ultimately formulate my opinion on when rating any game. It doesn't always boil down to the technical achievements, but rather, how it stirs my emotions. And for me, Origins really delivered in many ways in that regard.
M. Malone

Postby Killer Croc » Mar 6th, 2015, 9:19 pm

HaHaHa wrote:Yes it's truly amazing that Gotham still stands after Origins. Joker has everywhere rigged with bombs. Firefly has the bridge rigged with bombs. Anarky has corporate buildings rigged with bombs. The amount of destruction in Gotham over one night is ludicrous!

Now that you mention it, they really seemed to be out of ideas hahaha. Not very creative.

M. Malone wrote:@ Killer Croc: No offense, but your last post should have been posted in the "Why Arkham Origins Sucks" thread, not here.

Did not know such a topic exists. Sorry.

I understand everything boils down to personal opinion. I for one never got the impression that the Final Offer was a museum copy. And, in fact, felt that in terms of atmosphere, Origins was on par with, and at times superior to the previous offerings.

Firstly there's the decor which is very similar in both. Secondly there's the gladiator pit present in both of them. Third there's the collection with Penguin's narration on all the items (making more sense in the museum anyway...)

Anyway, my main point is this: While you felt that Croc was disappointing in Origins, I would have to highly disagree. The reason is because I have the opportunity to play the game in full stereo 3D. Myself and two other buddies were screaming like terrified, giddy schoolgirls during the Croc battle. It's pretty insane when his teeth are seemingly chomping your nose and his tongue is licking your forehead right between your eyes. We all winced backward during that sequence.

Sure 3D must be cool and I'm sure it became even more exciting when you had two other people sharing the experience with. But honestly - which one looks more frightening:

Spoiler: show

or

The fact is that Batman should in my eyes not even be able to face Croc in a fist fight, but rather outsmart him as he did in Asylum, avoiding direct confrontation. Add to all this the cartoonish personality (reminding me quite much of Killer Croc in BTAS, which is one of the few characterisations from that series which I am much disapointed in) as well as the lackluster voice... They completely ruined one of my favourite characters.

And that's what I ultimately formulate my opinion on when rating any game. It doesn't always boil down to the technical achievements, but rather, how it stirs my emotions. And for me, Origins really delivered in many ways in that regard.

Sure, I respect your opinion. Origins is a good game for me and I hope they do a sequel but it is not even close to the level of AA and AC.
Killer Croc

Postby jifw52 » Mar 8th, 2015, 12:45 am

Killer Croc wrote:
M. Malone wrote:@ Killer Croc: No offense, but your last post should have been posted in the "Why Arkham Origins Sucks" thread, not here.

Did not know such a topic exists. Sorry.

Just so you know, the link to the AO Sucks thread is on the admin note from RR on this thread's OP.
You are the product of everything you fear: violence, darkness, helplessness. All that remains is for you to watch, as I drag your beloved Gotham into oblivion. -Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Knight
jifw52

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Mar 8th, 2015, 10:44 pm

I agree with you AO is the best so far
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby TheHauntedKnight » Apr 1st, 2015, 10:59 pm

While Asylum is my favorite, Origins was definitely better than City. Origins' story and concept are amazing among other things.
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
TheHauntedKnight

Favourite Villain: Bane

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 14th, 2015, 6:59 pm

I was just thinking that Origins does things that I totally overlooked which are classic Batman. For example I was about to put in on the official WB forum that I'd love an Arkham game where we get to do something Batman trivial like going inside an apartment building, and then I realized we do! We get to go inside Lacey Towers in Origins. After that it dawned on me that Origins does a lot of great classic Batman things that I just took for granted or was just so blinded by my contempt for the game. I'm just sorry it took me this long to realize.
HaHaHa

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 14th, 2015, 9:03 pm

I think people give AO too much of a hard time when it comes to the continuity errors. The AC comics and AK itself screwed everything way more than origins ever did.

Also, Origins didn't rely on any other sources to tell the complete story. With Arkham City, you needed to read the comics to get the full story like how Strange became in charge, or how Joker was able to hide his men during protocol 10. AK also relies on add-on comics but also DLC's and two separate books (Arkham Knight: Genesis & Riddler's Gambit) which shouldn't be the case.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Origins & Blackgate Discussion