Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Talk about Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate from WB Games Montreal, Splash Damage and Armature Studios.

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby Jokerkim » Oct 3rd, 2015, 11:45 am

I just finished playing Arkham Origins for maybe the fourth or fifth time, and I can't help it... As of right now it is my favourite game of the whole Arkham franchise! I just think it's so frigging awesome! The story is really cool, the cinematics and character designs are mind blowingly good. I think I have written my opinions on this before, so I won't repeat myself to much.
Anyway, the boss fights are so great and so intense! Especially Bane and Firefly, but also Deathstroke and Copperhead.

I really, really, really, really hope we get AO2!
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
User avatar
Jokerkim
..........
..........
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:12 pm
Location: Norway
Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby HaHaHa » Oct 3rd, 2015, 11:50 pm

WBM cater a lot more toward the things that we traditionally love about Batman and there's a feeling of a lot fan service in Arkham Origins. They get what makes Batman fun!

-- Dec 7th, 2015, 12:29 pm --

It's ironic that I absolutely loathed this game when it came out but now it's my favourite!

A story with a strong message about Batman learning to rely on his allies
Fantastic noir art direction and more traditional Gotham architecture akin with New York
Great character designs
Good boss battles
Story showcased through the environments. For example inside GCPD where you can see Barbara and Jim arguing, Gordon addressing the cops, Brandon addressing SWAT, SWAT beating up homeless, Ricky loose lips interrogation etc.
A wide variety of supporting characters. Vicki Vale, Harvey Bullock, Alberto Falcone, Loeb, Calendar Man etc.
Good progression systems
Inclusion of crimes in progress and crime scene investigation
Loads of easter eggs

There's so many good things about this game which I think people overlook because it's not Rocksteady.
"don't you know I'm loco"
User avatar
HaHaHa
............
............
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby Wyrewho » May 7th, 2016, 2:57 pm

From a narrative point of view I thinkit's easily the best in the series. Batman's allies and villains are all perfectly characterised and their relationship with the caped crusader himself is also treated really well.

As for the Batman/Joker relationship AO presents in it's last half what it took Rocksteady 3 games to get across.

If it had the same trappings as the RS games, ie. gameplay and graphical polish, it'd be undoubtedly the best game.
Image
User avatar
Wyrewho
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: May 15th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Location: Worshipping Arkvoodle, Lord of the Sacred Crotch
Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby The man who laughs » Aug 9th, 2016, 11:50 am

As much as I love this game, does anyone think that there is a possibility of a sequel to happen. I would be said if there wasn't. I think there is so much to develop and explore in the arkhamverse like two faces origins and exploring the crime families and some new villains like killer moth or KGBeast.
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs
............
............
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Jun 13th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby TheJester » Aug 15th, 2016, 9:37 pm

The man who laughs wrote:As much as I love this game, does anyone think that there is a possibility of a sequel to happen. I would be said if there wasn't. I think there is so much to develop and explore in the arkhamverse like two faces origins and exploring the crime families and some new villains like killer moth or KGBeast.

With Knight having mixed critical reception to rival that of Origins, which was initially panned partially due to Rocksteady's lack of involvement, I think there may be a SLIGHT chance as people have over time started to like the game more. After all, if we can have Batman VR, why not another narrative based Batman game? I don't want there to become a market fatigue, considering Telltale's series has just released, but we can all cross our fingers.
Image
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
User avatar
TheJester
...............
...............
 
Posts: 4908
Joined: Feb 27th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Location: UK
Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby The man who laughs » Aug 16th, 2016, 9:40 pm

TheJester wrote:
The man who laughs wrote:As much as I love this game, does anyone think that there is a possibility of a sequel to happen. I would be said if there wasn't. I think there is so much to develop and explore in the arkhamverse like two faces origins and exploring the crime families and some new villains like killer moth or KGBeast.

With Knight having mixed critical reception to rival that of Origins, which was initially panned partially due to Rocksteady's lack of involvement, I think there may be a SLIGHT chance as people have over time started to like the game more. After all, if we can have Batman VR, why not another narrative based Batman game? I don't want there to become a market fatigue, considering Telltale's series has just released, but we can all cross our fingers.



Yeah I agree. I would just loved a sequel as throughout some of the games I feel that there was missing potential which could have easily be explored like crime families and minor villains. Also I've grew up with the Arkham games and always been looking forward to a new one so it would give me one last personal enjoyment if they created a superb batman game that could invest all of its potential.

But half of me doubts seeing one unfortunately :(
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs
............
............
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Jun 13th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Sep 20th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Honestly, Origins was so good in so many respects, to have gotten bashed SO badly by so many, if I were one of the developers, I would have such a bad taste in my mouth I wouldn't want to revisit a sequel. I mean, I truly feel badly for Eric Holmes. Dude delivered a really, really good Batman game, and the haters just crushed him.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
User avatar
M. Malone
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 20th, 2016, 10:54 pm

M. Malone wrote:Honestly, Origins was so good in so many respects, to have gotten bashed SO badly by so many, if I were one of the developers, I would have such a bad taste in my mouth I wouldn't want to revisit a sequel. I mean, I truly feel badly for Eric Holmes. Dude delivered a really, really good Batman game, and the haters just crushed him.


Unfortunately I was one of them, and now ironically it's one of my favorites. Maybe it would have done better if they had just started their own universe rather than use the Arkhamverse. Fans might have been a bit more open minded and appreciated it for its own merits. Wouldn't really have made any difference to the game as it has very little to do with Arkham.
"don't you know I'm loco"
User avatar
HaHaHa
............
............
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Sep 21st, 2016, 10:29 pm

HaHaHa wrote:
M. Malone wrote:Honestly, Origins was so good in so many respects, to have gotten bashed SO badly by so many, if I were one of the developers, I would have such a bad taste in my mouth I wouldn't want to revisit a sequel. I mean, I truly feel badly for Eric Holmes. Dude delivered a really, really good Batman game, and the haters just crushed him.


Unfortunately I was one of them, and now ironically it's one of my favorites. Maybe it would have done better if they had just started their own universe rather than use the Arkhamverse. Fans might have been a bit more open minded and appreciated it for its own merits. Wouldn't really have made any difference to the game as it has very little to do with Arkham.


I've been away from the forums for several months because I was postponing the purchase of Arkham Knight and therefore no longer had anything to talk about around here. So it's interesting and out of the blue to hear you say that. I'm curious, what made you change your mind about Origins?

.... And to qualify the question, I saw the positives you posted earlier on this page, but I guess what I'm asking is how did you finally come around to appreciating those things? I mean, they were always there... did you not play the game? Or played multiple times for those positives to become evident? That's what I'm asking I guess..
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
User avatar
M. Malone
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 22nd, 2016, 8:52 am

M. Malone wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:
M. Malone wrote:Honestly, Origins was so good in so many respects, to have gotten bashed SO badly by so many, if I were one of the developers, I would have such a bad taste in my mouth I wouldn't want to revisit a sequel. I mean, I truly feel badly for Eric Holmes. Dude delivered a really, really good Batman game, and the haters just crushed him.


Unfortunately I was one of them, and now ironically it's one of my favorites. Maybe it would have done better if they had just started their own universe rather than use the Arkhamverse. Fans might have been a bit more open minded and appreciated it for its own merits. Wouldn't really have made any difference to the game as it has very little to do with Arkham.


I've been away from the forums for several months because I was postponing the purchase of Arkham Knight and therefore no longer had anything to talk about around here. So it's interesting and out of the blue to hear you say that. I'm curious, what made you change your mind about Origins?

.... And to qualify the question, I saw the positives you posted earlier on this page, but I guess what I'm asking is how did you finally come around to appreciating those things? I mean, they were always there... did you not play the game? Or played multiple times for those positives to become evident? That's what I'm asking I guess..


I think initially I wouldn't acknowledge anything good from Origins out of stubbornness because it wasn't how Rocksteady would have done it. To me Origins was stepping on sacred ground, and I always imagined that anything that happened before Arkham Asylum was open to interpretation. Even now I don't consciously try to connect the games, but I have no problem with it being canon. Then Arkham Knight was announced, and the more I learned about that game made me appreciate Origins more. Then it was released, and all the flaws of Knight amplified what Origins excelled at.
"don't you know I'm loco"
User avatar
HaHaHa
............
............
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Sep 22nd, 2016, 1:52 pm

^^^ Gotcha. I don't think you're the only one who starting looking at Origins differently after Knight was released.

Personally, I've been gaming a long time... since the original Nintendo. I can put up with a lot of buggy features and poor design decisions more easily than some because I remember how basic gaming used to be. The consumer demands an awful lot from developers in this day and age compared to times past. I say all that just to say that when I spend money on a game, I really try my best to enjoy it and look for positives, and I can be pretty forgiving of its faults.

One thing I remember saying when I first started playing Origins is that I really thought some of the locations were fantastic. Like Penguin's ship for example. I thought the Batcave and Blackgate prison were incredible too. To me it felt like the story and atmosphere was somehow more "comic book-ish" than the other games... Well, at least more so than Arkham City, and now that I've played BAK, that one as well. Those games feel more like films to me, which is not a bad thing, but Origins captures a certain charm that I can't describe but is nonetheless significant.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
User avatar
M. Malone
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 26th, 2016, 12:02 pm

M. Malone wrote:^^^ Gotcha. I don't think you're the only one who starting looking at Origins differently after Knight was released.

Personally, I've been gaming a long time... since the original Nintendo. I can put up with a lot of buggy features and poor design decisions more easily than some because I remember how basic gaming used to be. The consumer demands an awful lot from developers in this day and age compared to times past. I say all that just to say that when I spend money on a game, I really try my best to enjoy it and look for positives, and I can be pretty forgiving of its faults.

One thing I remember saying when I first started playing Origins is that I really thought some of the locations were fantastic. Like Penguin's ship for example. I thought the Batcave and Blackgate prison were incredible too. To me it felt like the story and atmosphere was somehow more "comic book-ish" than the other games... Well, at least more so than Arkham City, and now that I've played BAK, that one as well. Those games feel more like films to me, which is not a bad thing, but Origins captures a certain charm that I can't describe but is nonetheless significant.


Origins maintains that old worldliness about it which I think contributes largely to that Batman comic book feel, and the film noir lighting gives everything that sense of mystery. Origins also displays a higher level of grandeur to Gotham than we've seen in any of the Rocksteady installments, like the Final Offer and Royal Hotel. WB Montreal aren't afraid to be cliche whereas I think Rocksteady tried too hard to give their Gotham it's own unique look. Gotham in Knight is still very interesting though with it's mixture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco combined with some more contemporary elements.
"don't you know I'm loco"
User avatar
HaHaHa
............
............
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Sep 26th, 2016, 2:47 pm

HaHaHa wrote:
M. Malone wrote:^^^ Gotcha. I don't think you're the only one who starting looking at Origins differently after Knight was released.

Personally, I've been gaming a long time... since the original Nintendo. I can put up with a lot of buggy features and poor design decisions more easily than some because I remember how basic gaming used to be. The consumer demands an awful lot from developers in this day and age compared to times past. I say all that just to say that when I spend money on a game, I really try my best to enjoy it and look for positives, and I can be pretty forgiving of its faults.

One thing I remember saying when I first started playing Origins is that I really thought some of the locations were fantastic. Like Penguin's ship for example. I thought the Batcave and Blackgate prison were incredible too. To me it felt like the story and atmosphere was somehow more "comic book-ish" than the other games... Well, at least more so than Arkham City, and now that I've played BAK, that one as well. Those games feel more like films to me, which is not a bad thing, but Origins captures a certain charm that I can't describe but is nonetheless significant.


Origins maintains that old worldliness about it which I think contributes largely to that Batman comic book feel, and the film noir lighting gives everything that sense of mystery. Origins also displays a higher level of grandeur to Gotham than we've seen in any of the Rocksteady installments, like the Final Offer and Royal Hotel. WB Montreal aren't afraid to be cliche whereas I think Rocksteady tried too hard to give their Gotham it's own unique look. Gotham in Knight is still very interesting though with it's mixture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco combined with some more contemporary elements.


I agree. And I can't fault the city in AK. I'm actually loving it. This will either sound weird or make total sense, but I get nuances of Tim Burton's Batman films in BOTH Origins and Knight, but for different reasons. Origins is similar to Batman Returns because of the snow, and also because of the architecture. It also channels BTAS very strongly. In Knight however, I think maybe it's the coloring and the lighting, but it feels very much like the 1989 Batman movie to me. In using photo mode, there is a certain color filter called "Film" and I swear it makes some of the shots look like they could have been pulled right from that movie.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
User avatar
M. Malone
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 26th, 2016, 7:10 pm

M. Malone wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:
M. Malone wrote:^^^ Gotcha. I don't think you're the only one who starting looking at Origins differently after Knight was released.

Personally, I've been gaming a long time... since the original Nintendo. I can put up with a lot of buggy features and poor design decisions more easily than some because I remember how basic gaming used to be. The consumer demands an awful lot from developers in this day and age compared to times past. I say all that just to say that when I spend money on a game, I really try my best to enjoy it and look for positives, and I can be pretty forgiving of its faults.

One thing I remember saying when I first started playing Origins is that I really thought some of the locations were fantastic. Like Penguin's ship for example. I thought the Batcave and Blackgate prison were incredible too. To me it felt like the story and atmosphere was somehow more "comic book-ish" than the other games... Well, at least more so than Arkham City, and now that I've played BAK, that one as well. Those games feel more like films to me, which is not a bad thing, but Origins captures a certain charm that I can't describe but is nonetheless significant.


Origins maintains that old worldliness about it which I think contributes largely to that Batman comic book feel, and the film noir lighting gives everything that sense of mystery. Origins also displays a higher level of grandeur to Gotham than we've seen in any of the Rocksteady installments, like the Final Offer and Royal Hotel. WB Montreal aren't afraid to be cliche whereas I think Rocksteady tried too hard to give their Gotham it's own unique look. Gotham in Knight is still very interesting though with it's mixture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco combined with some more contemporary elements.


I agree. And I can't fault the city in AK. I'm actually loving it. This will either sound weird or make total sense, but I get nuances of Tim Burton's Batman films in BOTH Origins and Knight, but for different reasons. Origins is similar to Batman Returns because of the snow, and also because of the architecture. It also channels BTAS very strongly. In Knight however, I think maybe it's the coloring and the lighting, but it feels very much like the 1989 Batman movie to me. In using photo mode, there is a certain color filter called "Film" and I swear it makes some of the shots look like they could have been pulled right from that movie.


Interesting. Knight has a very grainy film look to it, so maybe that contributes toward the 1989 look? I like Gotham in Knight for it's diversity between the 3 islands, but for me personally it still leaves a lot to be desired. It still has that 'stuck on an island' mentality about it which none of the Arkham games has escaped. Even in Knight we're supposed to finally be in Gotham yet we're reminded we're separated from the mainland and the people of Gotham.

I hope WB Montreal get another shot at Gotham because I believe we finally might get a populated city and a Gotham more like in the comics.
"don't you know I'm loco"
User avatar
HaHaHa
............
............
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why Arkham Origins is the Best in the Series

Postby M. Malone » Sep 26th, 2016, 11:49 pm

HaHaHa wrote:Interesting. Knight has a very grainy film look to it, so maybe that contributes toward the 1989 look? I like Gotham in Knight for it's diversity between the 3 islands, but for me personally it still leaves a lot to be desired. It still has that 'stuck on an island' mentality about it which none of the Arkham games has escaped. Even in Knight we're supposed to finally be in Gotham yet we're reminded we're separated from the mainland and the people of Gotham.

I hope WB Montreal get another shot at Gotham because I believe we finally might get a populated city and a Gotham more like in the comics.


You know what else I think it might be? I feel like I'm on the ground more in Knight than in Origins or City. I think this is because of the Batmobile. It sort of feels like the 1989 film because Batman spent a lot of time in or around the Batmobile in that film.

Also I know a lot of people have complained about the lack of verticality in Knight... like the buildings don't feel all that tall. I haven't felt that way, but then again I'm playing in 3D, which makes depth and height much more apparent.

Definitely looking forward for any more Batman stuff from WBM.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
User avatar
M. Malone
..............
..............
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sep 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Origins & Blackgate Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron