Powerless- DC Comics comedy coming to NBC

The place to discuss Arrow, The Flash, Constantine and Gotham, as well as future shows such as the upcoming Supergirl, Krypton and Titans

Powerless- DC Comics comedy coming to NBC

Postby DatBat » Jan 20th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Around the same time as the announcement the Teen Titans show for TNT was no longer being produced, this was announced.

Statement from SuperHeroHype:
NBC has officially ordered a pilot for the half-hour comedy series Powerless from “A to Z” creator Ben Queen and Warner Bros. TV. The pilot will be written and executive produced by Queen.

While not based on any particular comic from the DC canon, the series is described as “a workplace comedy set at one of the worst insurance companies in America” and is at its core is about “the reality of working life for a normal, powerless person in a world of superheroes and villains.”

Sounds a lot like a DC version of Marvel's Damage Control. Could be interesting. NBC has had some good comedies in the past (The Office, Parks and Rec), but their more recent endeavors, at least from what I've seen, haven't gotten close to matching the quality of the aforementioned shows, but this one sounds like, with proper guidance, it could. It is a workplace comedy, and I'm sure the superhero element can create some humor.

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/36213 ... -powerless
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Manbat

Re: Powerless- DC Comics comedy coming to NBC

Postby Red leader » Jan 20th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Sounds decent but if I where them I would do the dc version of that actually good book during civil war about Phil Urich. I would love a show about reporters in gotham or something instead of an insurance company.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby Dick » Feb 23rd, 2016, 4:20 pm

Vanessa Hudgens to Star in NBC's DC Comics Comedy 'Powerless'

Hudgens will topline the pilot and portray Emily Locke, an insurance claims adjuster who loves her job because she gets to help people. Emily likes to fly under the radar and just get her work done, but she finds herself increasingly exasperated by the disruptive antics of the various superheroes that proliferate in her city.

Powerless is being written by Ben Queen (A to Z), who will executive produce alongside Michael Patrick Jann, with the latter set to direct the pilot. Christina Kirk co-stars.

For Hudgens, the role marks her first gig after she earned critical praise for her role as Rizzo on Fox's Grease Live. The High School Musical grad earned rave reviews for her performance, which took place the day after her father passed away from stage 4 cancer. She dedicated her performance to him.

Should Powerless go to series, it would mark Hudgens' first small-screen regular role. She is repped by CAA, Untitled and Ziffren Brittenham.

For DC Comics, Powerless marks the comic book powerhouse's first half-hour entry. NBC currently is the only network without a superhero series, with DC behind CBS' Supergirl, Fox's Gotham and The CW's The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. ABC is home to corporate sibling Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, and has a spinoff of the former, Marvel's Most Wanted, in the works this pilot season.

-- Feb 23rd, 2016, 11:11 pm --

Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Rogue One), Danny Pudi (Community), and Christina Kirk (A to Z) have been added as series regulars to the cast of NBC’s DC Comics sitcom Powerless.

Danny Pudi is Teddy, best friend of Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) at work and her trusted confidante. He spends his days creating time-wasting pranks as a way to make their office, the “least Super place on earth,” just a little less “unsuper.”

Alan Tudyk is Del, Emily’s new boss in the claims department. Del has just been promoted — not through any merit of his own, but because he’s the owner’s son. A self-proclaimed “rich, over-educated globetrotting wastrel,” Del is a power-mad disastrous dictator of a boss.

Christina Kirk is Jackie. A fan of Super Heroes, Jackie has plastered her office cubicle with beefcake shots of super guys. New claims department boss Del makes her his personal assistant, and she begins buckling under his unreasonable and impossible demands.
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby BuNKiTZ » Feb 24th, 2016, 8:54 pm

We're getting freaking Abed and Wash so I'm totally on board now.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Mani-Man » Feb 4th, 2017, 12:21 pm

So, has somebody watched the first episode?

I thought it felt a bit flat to be honest, im not sure where this show can go with its premise and all.
The idea is interesting, but so far it hasnt caught me.

As always i will give it the first 5 episodes to decide if i keep watching.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Feb 4th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Mani-Man wrote:So, has somebody watched the first episode?

I thought it felt a bit flat to be honest, im not sure where this show can go with its premise and all.
The idea is interesting, but so far it hasnt caught me.

As always i will give it the first 5 episodes to decide if i keep watching.

Not yet. Can anyone actually recommend this show? I am wondering if I should give it a look.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Feb 4th, 2017, 4:05 pm

The first episode just came out, its a bit hard to recommend it.
I gave it a try and want to see where it goes in the first couple of episodes.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Feb 4th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Mani-Man wrote:The first episode just came out, its a bit hard to recommend it.
I gave it a try and want to see where it goes in the first couple of episodes.

Ah, okay. I thought there already were more for some reason.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Apr 27th, 2017, 10:10 am

So from what i hear, the show is cancelled.
Cant say im surprised if that is true...the show was powerless(pun intended)
I think it was after episode 3 or 4 where i lost complete interest in it...it was just too boring imo.

Nothing, not the concept, the characters, the dialogue, the story...nothing captured my interest.
It felt like a show that could work in a universe where the DC characters are still very goofy, but otherwise it was bound to fail.
Mani-Man

Return to DC Comics TV Shows