DC TV Universe Discussion [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

The place to discuss Arrow, The Flash, Constantine and Gotham, as well as future shows such as the upcoming Supergirl, Krypton and Titans

DC TV Universe Discussion [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Postby Paradox » May 20th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Please use spoiler tags when discussing recent episodes of any DC TV show, and give warning if spoiler tags contain any leaked information that users may not want to know until it is officially announced/shown.

Arrow

Created by Green Lantern screenwriters Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe co-executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, the series centers on Oliver Queen, a wealthy young bad boy who, after spending five years shipwrecked on an island, returns to Starling City with a mastery of the bow and a determination to make a difference.

The series stars Stephen Amell (Hung) as Oliver Queen, Colin Donnell as Tommy Merlyn, Katie Cassidy (Supernatural, Melrose Place) as Laurel Lance, David Ramsey (Dexter, Blue Bloods) as John Diggle, Willa Holland (The O.C.) as Thea Queen, with Susanna Thompson (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Kings) as Moira Queen and Paul Blackthorne (The Dresden Files, 24) as Detective Quentin Lance.

Flash

It certainly isn’t the news that comic book movie fans were hoping for, but The Flash may be making his live-action debut sooner than some might have thought.

It's only been a month since DC and the CW announced that they'd found their would-be Flash in actor Grant Gustin. Technically, Gustin would be playing police forensic investigator before something causes him to make his fateful transformation into the fastest man alive.

But given the (relatively) grounded nature of the DC television universe, what kind of impact will having an actual, super-powered hero have on the vigilante and his world?

"While we're obviously introducing some fantastical concepts to things [to the world of "Arrow"], we just wanted to keep the show as grounded and realistic as possible," showrunner Andrew Kreisberg told us during a visit to the set of the CW series. Kreisberg went on to say that introducing a character like the Flash would allow the future series based on the character to explore some of the more exotic elements of the DCU that might not quite fit with the darkness of Starling City.

And he's aware some "Arrow" fans not familiar with the Flash might balk at that: "I think that the events that happen to the Flash and what's going on in Central City, some people will be like, 'Eh, that's full of bull****." How long before we see Captain Cold or Gorilla Grodd stomping around Central City remains to be seen, but based on Kreisberg's comments, the door is open.

Untitled Hourman Show

DC Comics may have some catching up to do in the cinematic universe, but it's undoubtedly making waves on TV. The latest DC Comics superhero to get the small-screen treatment will be Hourman on The CW.

THR reports that the network, already home to Arrow and the upcoming Flash project, is developing a drama centered around Hourman, aka Rex Tyler, "a brilliant-yet-troubled pharmaceutical analyst who discovers that the visions that have plagued him since childhood are actually glimpses of tragic events occurring one hour in the future. Determined to win back his ex-wife and son, he heroically prevents these tragedies from unfolding, finding both purpose and redemption along the way."

Michael Caleo (Ironside, The Sopranos) will serve as writer and executive producer, along with Dan Lin and Lin Pictures' head of TV Jennifer Gwartz, for WBTV.

Constantine

NBC has purchased the rights for an adaptation of Constantine for television, and so far the network has committed to a script (with a penalty if it decides to cease development of the show), according to The Hollywood Reporter. David Goyer — who wrote for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel — and Daniel Cerone, the executive producer of The Mentalist and the first three seasons of Dexter, will work on the project with Warner Bros. Television and DC Comics.
Last edited by Paradox on Jul 28th, 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 16 times in total.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Re: Arrow [Green Arrow TV Series]

Postby deadjunk » May 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Sounds good, I'll give it a go!
I want to eat a pirate

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25469
deadjunk

Favourite Villain: Two Face/Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Dick » May 20th, 2012, 5:10 pm

It actually looks quite good, the trailer looks far better than that Aquaman one. Thank god that show never got past the pilot.
I think I may end up enjoying this. :oldyella:
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Hayley » May 20th, 2012, 5:11 pm

This will probably be very similar to Smallville; I hope it can last just as long while sustaining a good audience.

I'm still waiting on a Batman live series, though.
Hayley

Postby Elliott » May 20th, 2012, 5:12 pm

This looks an awful lot better than I thought it had right to, but I can't help but feel almost heartbroken that there's some idiot at DC/WB running around vetoing the Batman TV show proposals that have been happening since before Smallville, because the audience won't be able to differentiate between two live action Dark Knights...

It looks awesome, but my God, they're so close to a decent live action Batman show it hurts!
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TFDutchman » May 20th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Not overly interested, and the fact that it's written by the guys that destroyed the Green Lantern movie drags my interest down even further.

I was never a fan of Smallville either.

I might give the pilot a go, and based on that see if I'll continue for a few more episodes and see if this series can catch my interest.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby KnightEdge » May 20th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Looks good but at the same time I get a feeling like this is going to be bad.
Take Apart Your Head
KnightEdge

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby Paradox » May 20th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Oh wow. The costume's pretty basic. I suppose it's going for an uber-realistic approach, which should make it a LOT different from what the writers did with sci-fi superhero Green Lantern. As one of my quotes from an article said, this is looking more Nolan than Smallville.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby ChaosThe15th » May 20th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Looks great , pretty excited for this
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Elliott » May 20th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I actually prefer Smallville's Green Arrow, what appears to be a man with a standard bow and (Even more surprising considering the character) standard arrows running around in a leather hoody doesn't suspend by disbelief much, the man's going against mobsters...

Smallville's kevlar clad, high-tech bow wielding Green Arrow with gas arrows and night vision goggles; that's a good take on the character in my opinion:

Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red_Robin » May 20th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Honestly, I think it looks awful. I hope that it proves me wrong, but the first footage just looks bad.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby TFDutchman » May 21st, 2012, 4:07 am

Elliott wrote:I actually prefer Smallville's Green Arrow, what appears to be a man with a standard bow and (Even more surprising considering the character) standard arrows running around in a leather hoody doesn't suspend by disbelief much, the man's going against mobsters...

Smallville's kevlar clad, high-tech bow wielding Green Arrow with gas arrows and night vision goggles; that's a good take on the character in my opinion:

I don't like the Smallville version of the costume at all. Hopefully as the series progress he'll upgrade his weaponry and get a much better bow, I mean the character can't just start off with all the goods. Even Bruce Wayne started out slowly. A Nolanesque approach might do good for this show, but I'm still very wary and stand offish.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Dark_Omen » May 21st, 2012, 4:49 pm

Justin Hartley's Green Arrow is the only exposure I've had to the character, so I'm having trouble adjusting to the new face.

Still, it looks all right from what those clips have shown us.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Dark_Omen

Favourite Villain: That one.
Favourite Graphic Novel: The graphic one.

Postby Bats10000 » May 21st, 2012, 5:09 pm

This looks really good, it has an almost cinematic look to it. Can't wait.
Bats10000

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby The Dark Crusader » May 22nd, 2012, 2:03 am

Hmmm...I was a very, very, VERY big fan of Smallville, and loved the show from Seasons 5 to 10 (am currently watching the other seasons on DVD) but I was kind of hoping for a Nightwing show. I mean, don't get me wrong, this looks like a good showw, and I have high hopes for it, but can you imagine...a live action Nightwing show? Nerdgasm!
"My father was convinced the world wasn't ready...what do you think?"
The Dark Crusader

Favourite Villain: Ra's Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: RIP

Next

Return to DC Comics TV Shows