Supergirl

The place to discuss Arrow, The Flash, Constantine and Gotham, as well as future shows such as the upcoming Supergirl, Krypton and Titans

Supergirl

Postby The Oracle » Jan 22nd, 2015, 7:38 pm

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-melissa-benoist-cbs-kara-casting-1201411869/

CBS has found its “Supergirl” in “Glee” alum Melissa Benoist. The hourlong drama pilot was written by Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler, and hails from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

The eponymous series centers on Superman’s cousin, Kara Zor-El, who escaped from Krypton amid the planet’s destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous relative. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

“Supergirl” is the latest DC Comics-based show to emerge from Berlanti’s stable; the in-demand producer also oversees “Arrow” and “The Flash” for CBS sister net The CW. The drama was given a series commitment in September. Kara has previously been portrayed on the big screen by Helen Slater, and appeared on The CW’s Superman origin series “Smallville” in the guise of Laura Vandervoort.

CBS chair Nina Tassler shared her first impressions of the project at the network’s recent TCA Winter Press Tour presentation: “She embodied so many of the characteristics of classic female heroines on the network… We fell in love with the pitch.” At the time, casting was not yet complete, but Tassler told reporters, “We’re looking for quality, charisma. She’s got to be everywoman.” The character’s iconic costume has been designed by Colleen Atwood, who also created the updated looks for Stephen Amell’s Arrow and Grant Gustin’s Flash.

While TV has been dominated by male comic book heroes in the years since Lynda Carter’s “Wonder Woman” went off the air, a number of female-led properties are currently in production; ABC recently premiered “Marvel’s Agent Carter” starring Hayley Atwell; The CW will debut “iZombie” with Rose McIver in March; and Netflix is currently in development on “Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” played by Krysten Ritter.

Benoist can currently be seen in the Oscar-nominated “Whiplash,” which is up for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture. She will next appear in the feature film “The Longest Ride,” opposite Britt Robertson and Scott Eastwood, which will bow in theaters on April 12.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Re: Supergirl

Postby Batwoman » Jan 23rd, 2015, 2:54 am

Finally some info on this ! I´m gonna give it a try .
Is this part of the Arrowverse ?
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby JonDoe296 » Jan 23rd, 2015, 5:21 pm

Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous relative.

Does this mean that Superman is going to exist in this universe? Or are they just saying that so we know she has the same powers? Whatever the case I'm sure it will be cool
Don't you have some tall building to leap over?
JonDoe296

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby The Oracle » Jan 23rd, 2015, 6:23 pm

CBS and Warner Bros. Television have found their Supergirl.

Glee and Whiplash breakout Melissa Benoist has been tapped to play the iconic DC Comics character, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers on Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Benoist will play Kara, who after arriving on Earth was taken in by a foster family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin, Superman).
Now 24, Kara feels un-empowered, a slave to having repressed her innate abilities. She's still pretty, but with her face hidden behind glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn't know it herself. An unexpected disaster forces her to use her powers in public. Energized by her heroic deed, for the first time in her life, Kara begins embracing her extraordinary abilities. She begins helping the people of her city and they soon take notice — and she's even given a new moniker: Supergirl.
Read more Comic Book Critical Mass: Inside TV's Biggest Bet
Benoist becomes the actress to portray the character, who was most recently played on the small screen by Laura Vandervoort on The CW's Superman origin story Smallville.
The Glee actress was one of many actresses to test for the role, edging out The Vampire Diaries/The Originals' Claire Holt, among others, for the part, sources tell THR.
Benoist joined Fox's Glee during season four, as one of McKinley High's new students after the musical's senior class graduated. She was promoted to series regular ahead of season five and had been considered the heir apparent to star Lea Michele's Rachel on the series before the musical was retooled.
Supergirl will not be the first time Benoist has played a superhero. The actress donned a cape as "Woman Fierce" in Glee's "Dynamic Duets" episode in which the glee club channeled their inner super hero. (Watch her performance of "Holding Out for a Hero," below.)

She joins fellow Glee breakout Grant Gustin (The CW's The Flash) to land the starring role in a DC Comics adaptation from WBTV.
Arrow and Flash's Greg Berlanti and his No Ordinary Family cohort Ali Adler (The New Normal) will pen the script and executive produce the drama via Berlanti Productions' WBTV-based banner. Berlanti Productions' topper Sarah Schecter is also on board to executive produce.
Supergirl — which still needs an official series order — could give all five of the broadcast networks superhero-themed series on the air next season, with DC properties on four of the five. Fox has Batman story Gotham — which like Supergirl started with a series commitment; NBC has Hellblazer take Constantine, which will end after 13 episodes; CW has already renewed Flash and Arrow; and ABC, via Disney's deal with Marvel, has Agents of SHIELD and bridge series Agent Carter. For its part, Netflix also has four Marvel series and a mini, starting with Daredevil.
Benoist's credits include awards season darling Whiplash and roles on CBS' Blue Bloods and The Good Wife as well as Showtime's Homeland. She's repped by UTA, Anonymous Content and Frankfurt Kurnit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supergirl-melissa-benoist-glee-whiplash-754208

She's still pretty, but with her face hidden behind glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn't know it herself.

...really? We're pulling this old trope out?
The Oracle

Postby Mani-Man » Jan 23rd, 2015, 7:00 pm

Not sure what to think...will this go into this same "realistic" type of world as in MOS or not.

Im not sure what to think, i dont want another one of those "gritty" and forced "realistic" worlds...supergirl is the perfect opportunity to go a bit brighter and match the Comic book basics.

Giving it a try wont hurt, maybe it turns out to be really good.
Mani-Man

Postby Arkham_Knight23 » Jan 28th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Batwoman wrote:Finally some info on this ! I´m gonna give it a try .
Is this part of the Arrowverse ?

I assume it is because it's from the same people that make Arrow and Flash. Also Greg Berlanti wants a crossover with it.
I'm the original Arkham Knight lol
Arkham_Knight23

Favourite Villain: riddler

Postby BuNKiTZ » Feb 3rd, 2015, 7:38 am

Feels kinda weird, but I'm still looking forward to this. Cause, you know, it's Supergirl! :D
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Feb 3rd, 2015, 8:30 am

Don't really know much about Kara other than what I know from JLU and and dc animated movies. Don't know if there is really that much more to know, but a blonde in latex never hurt anyone. So I look forward to it. I hope she has a dog named Krypto. The pup needs some love.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby BuNKiTZ » Feb 3rd, 2015, 1:16 pm

Doudyx-X-xDubs wrote:Don't really know much about Kara other than what I know from JLU and and dc animated movies. Don't know if there is really that much more to know, but a blonde in latex never hurt anyone. So I look forward to it. I hope she has a dog named Krypto. The pup needs some love.

Nah, Krypto's with Kon. Kara's got a cat named Streaky.
BuNKiTZ

Postby Pieter » Feb 3rd, 2015, 5:44 pm

Krypto belongs with Clark damnit.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby BuNKiTZ » Feb 3rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

King Arthur Curry wrote:Krypto belongs with Clark damnit.

I haven't seen Clark with Krypto in ages. I only see him with Kon these days. And the past few years.
BuNKiTZ

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Feb 3rd, 2015, 7:38 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
King Arthur Curry wrote:Krypto belongs with Clark damnit.

I haven't seen Clark with Krypto in ages. I only see him with Kon these days. And the past few years.

That's true, I forgot Kon and Krypto. I just don't know when we'll see see Kon tho, with the DCCU and now this supergirl show. We'll see, I guess.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow

Postby Batwoman » Feb 4th, 2015, 2:46 am

I´m sure we´ll get Aquo the Superfish for Kara .
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby The Oracle » Feb 23rd, 2015, 10:32 pm

Nashville standout Laura Benanti has been cast in key recurring role in the CBS pilot Supergirl. She will play Alura Zor-El, the birth mother of Kara (Melissa Benoist). A strong noblewoman, Alura sends Kara to Earth to escape Krypton’s destruction. Her wisdom and guidance echoes across space and time, proving invaluable on Kara’s journey toward becoming Supergirl.

Zor-El_Alura_Man_of_Steel_001Based on the characters from DC Comics, the project, from Warner Bros. TV, studio-based Berlanti Prods. and writers/executive producers Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler, centers on Kara Zor-El (Benoist). Since arriving on Earth, the Krypron-born has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

Tony winner Benanti is recurring on ABC’s country music drama Nashville. Her series credits also include stints on Nurse Jackie, Law & Order: SVU, Royal Pains and Go On.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/laura-benanti-supergirl-mom-pilot-greg-berlanti-cbs-1201377441/

Casting continues this week for CBS’ upcoming “Supergirl” series as The Hollywood Reporter today brings word that “Ally McBeal” star Calista Flockhart has signed on to play Cat Grant in the DC Comics series. She joins Melissa Benoist in the title role, Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen and Laura Benanti as Alura Zor-El, Supergirl’s Kryptonian birth mother.

Created by Marv Wolfman and Jerry Ordway, Grant debuted in “Adventures of Superman” #424 back in 1987 as a gossip columnist for the Daily Planet. According to the outlet, this iteration of Grant will feature the character as the head of her own successful company, CatCo. There, Beonist’s Kara works as Grants’ personal assistant.

Hailing from Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Productions (who also produce the hit DC Comics series “Arrow” and “The Flash” for The CW), “Supergirl” is based on the characters from DC Comics and centers on Kara Zor-El, who comes to Earth after escaping the destruction of Krypton. After many years hiding her abilities, she joins the ranks of her cousin Superman to become the hero she was meant to be.

The pilot episode was written by Ali Adler (“No Ordinary Family”) and Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash”). They will also executive produce along with Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros. TV. The show has a series commitment at CBS.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/413061-cbs-supergirl-adds-calista-flockhart

Looks like Supergirl will get a visit from Kara’s “famous cousin” after all.
Though is he not name-checked and only alluded to in the new CBS series’ synopsis, Superman will put in an appearance of sorts in the pilot.
As pointed out by KryptonSite by way of ProjectCasting.com, Supergirl is seeking someone “5-foot-11 or taller,” “square-jawed” and wielding “a ripped physique” to serve as a body double for “a DC Comic Superhero.”
Lest there be any doubt, interested parties are asked to email their application using the subject line “SUPERMAN.”
The “body double” language suggests that this super fella will only be seen from a distance and/or partially obstructed and/or never in focus, probably (I speculate) to dodge any conflicts with the Man of Steel currently soaring around the DCU, as portrayed by Henry Cavill.
CBS’ Supergirl stars Glee grad Melissa Benoist in the title role, while Mehcad Brooks, Calista Flockhart and Laura Benanti thus far have been cast as Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant and Kara’s Krypton mom.

http://tvline.com/2015/02/24/supergirl-cbs-casting-superman/

Grey’s Anatomy alumna Chyler Leigh and David Harewood (Homeland) have been cast opposite Melissa Benoist and Calista Flockhart in the CBS pilot Supergirl, written by Greg Berlanti, Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg.

Based on the DC Comics characters, Supergirl — from Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Prods. — centers on Kara Zor-El (Benoist). Since arriving on Earth, the Krypton-born Kara has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she always was meant to be.

Leigh plays Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s confident foster sister. Fascinated by Kara’s powers from a young age, Alex developed a lifelong obsession with science which inspired her to become a doctor.

Cyborg_Superman_h003Harewood plays Hank Henshaw, a onetime CIA agent who now runs the Department of Extra-Normal Operations, which tracks extraterrestrial threats on the planet Earth. In the DC Comics universe, Henshaw is a villain who eventually becomes Cyborg Superman.

Leigh is with UTA and Burstein Co. and Stone Meyer; Harewood is with APA, Conway van Gelder Grant and Authentic Talent & Literary Management.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/chyler-leigh-david-harewood-cast-supergirl-pilot-cbs-1201382262/
The Oracle

Postby BuNKiTZ » Feb 27th, 2015, 4:03 am

Bumpity-bump, butthuggers!

So I saw that we're getting Cyborg Superman (is that right? or is there a hyphen or something?). That's pretty cool. We're also getting Superman. So, yeah. I thought it would be a Superman-less story. So this should be cool, I guess.
BuNKiTZ

Next

Return to DC Comics TV Shows