What I love and Hate about this game. So far.

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: What I love and Hate about this game. So far.

Postby The Oracle » Jun 24th, 2015, 11:00 pm

I love the dual play, how smooth the gameplay is, the villains, how well integrated the side missions are and overall the story so far. I love it for the most part, but I have a few complaints so far:

-Battle Mode. Tedious and doesn't fit the character.

-Some clunky dialogue and deliveries.

-It's got some issues with the female characters. I'm about halfway through at the moment and of the three major ones in the game,
Spoiler: show
all three have been captured
and...oh god what did they do to Barbara...
they turned her into a damsel in distress that they then just kill off. The character was completely wasted.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby DatBat » Jun 25th, 2015, 4:06 am

The Oracle wrote:I love the dual play, how smooth the gameplay is, the villains, how well integrated the side missions are and overall the story so far. I love it for the most part, but I have a few complaints so far:

-It's got some issues with the female characters. I'm about halfway through at the moment and of the three major ones in the game,
they turned her into a damsel in distress that they then just kill off. The character was completely wasted.

I won't spoil, but a surprise that will please you and dissipate one of your complaints.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Jun 25th, 2015, 6:17 am

I was expecting the Batmobile to be a smooth car, but it's really anything but. It is near impossible to simply make a turn without ramming into buildings nearby. Battle mode is much more manuverable. Pursuit is just simply impossible to actually do anything with.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby thegreyghost » Jun 25th, 2015, 11:03 am

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:I was expecting the Batmobile to be a smooth car, but it's really anything but. It is near impossible to simply make a turn without ramming into buildings nearby. Battle mode is much more manuverable. Pursuit is just simply impossible to actually do anything with.

have you changed your controller settings so that left trigger is brake?

makes things so much easier.
thegreyghost

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Mad Love

Postby TheJester » Jun 25th, 2015, 4:06 pm

BrainyAche wrote:Now finally I understad what happened with Jason Todd so before Arkham Asylum Joker captured Jason and he tortured him in one of the abandoned wings of Arkham for over a year then he killed him because Batman didnt come after Jason then he sent the film to Batman. I dont get it why he tortured him for over a year and just then kill him. But maybe because he is the Joker so this doesent count as a mistake the Joker is insane. Maybe the point was to show Jason that even after a year the Batman didnt care about him. I think Rocksteady made a good job with this they just wanted to show us the immense pain that Jason went through and that what is his motivation to kill the Batman.

I think actually he 'killed' him, or at least faked the footage and sent this to Batman, who then searched for his body to no avail, whilst Joker actually kept Jason alive within Arkham for over a year before either Jason escaped or the Joker was apprehended by Batman at some point.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Red leader » Jun 25th, 2015, 4:56 pm

DatBat wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I love the dual play, how smooth the gameplay is, the villains, how well integrated the side missions are and overall the story so far. I love it for the most part, but I have a few complaints so far:

I won't spoil, but a surprise that will please you and dissipate one of your complaints.

I would argue it makes it worse cause her one big things gets taken away by what comes later. At least have her affect the story but no they needed a cop out.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby BlackBlade » Jun 25th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Be the Batman? https://vid.me/h3s0

I think I've lost this battle 30+ times now. Easily. And it's a fucking wash, rinse, repeat side mission. This is Batman? Bullshit, rocksteady, bullshit.
~"They say that when you kill a man you not only take away what he was, but all he will ever be."
BlackBlade

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Red Hood: Lost Years

Postby Damian_Wayne » Jun 25th, 2015, 10:37 pm

BlackBlade wrote:Be the Batman? https://vid.me/h3s0

I think I've lost this battle 30+ times now. Easily. And it's a fucking wash, rinse, repeat side mission. This is Batman? Bullshit, rocksteady, bullshit.

:oldyella:

Oh god I failed so bad at the part where there's like 10 cobra tanks omf
"I wasn't taught to fight fair. I was taught to win."
Damian_Wayne

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby zmikey » Jun 26th, 2015, 12:38 am

BlackBlade wrote:Be the Batman? https://vid.me/h3s0

Literally the worst part of the game. Could it be my lack of skill? Probably. But it's a fucking bitch of a mission and I hate it. Done it about 12 times before I decided my time was better used somewhere else
"Sometimes the only thing between you and them is the mask and cape."
zmikey

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby The Oracle » Jun 26th, 2015, 7:23 am

Having now finished the main campaign but not the side missions (well, I've finished a few), the good:
-The Joker dream sequence
-The whole last act
-Professor Pyg
-The Harley/three Joker's sequence
-Riddler's personality and dialogue
-Ivy
-The side mission integration
-the Easter Eggs
-The predator missions are typically improved
-Scarecrow and especially Noble's performance

The bad:
-I hate Oracle's usage in the first two thirds. The last act nailed how to use her and her being just a damsel in distress for the first two acts was really bad, imo.
-lack of challenge maps and playing as multiple characters in them
-That damn Cobra tank battle. Might just be the lowest point of the Arkhamverse for me.
-The tanks in general got really really repetitive
-Kevin Conroy sounds bored for most of the game
-Changed controls

The mixed:
-Jason being the Arkham Knight. In theory, it's fine, but I feel like his existence was shoehorned into this game. I really think it would have been better if he had been referenced in one of the previous stories.
-The Batmobile. Pursuit mode tends to be enjoyable when you can avoid knocking into things that make you stop, but it's a bit tough to control. Battle mode...urgh. Great for manoeuvring, but apart from that...
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby HaHaHa » Jul 1st, 2015, 10:36 am

I think Riddler has been done brilliantly in this game! The challenges and race tracks are in good measure and his dialogue is the best it's ever been.

I really enjoyed the bank predator rooms as well and the weapon cache dual play but I really feel underwhelmed by the lack of Penguin and Two-Face in the main narrative. Again Batman treats Harvey like a common thug without any sense of remorse. We know the two had a close bond but the game barely touches that. Penguin I thought would've been cool if that last mission took place in the Cobblepot mansion.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 1st, 2015, 8:38 pm

Just beat the game earlier today. Haven't activated Knightfall Protocol yet. Have yet to finish Penguin and the Militia's side missions. Oh, and Riddler's, of course.

Regarding gameplay, what I like so far:

• Gotham. It's just massive and every bit of it is well made with so much detail and there are Easter Eggs all over the place, so that's really fun. It's also really gorgeous. And it rains the whole time. Bat bless you, Gotham
  • All the new Combat moves are great and fun to use, especially picking up downed thugs, and Special Combo Batclaw and Batarang
  • The new additions to Predator are great. The Voice Synthesizer and Remote Hacking Device in particular. Most of all, of course, Fear Takedowns
  • Oh, and that swanky new Swing Down Takedown, I believe it's called
  • And how by default, we do Silent Takedowns with it and a few other types of Takedowns (e.g. Ledge Takedown)
  • All the varied ways we conduct detective work. I was not expecting this at all and it is such a pleasant surprise. I thought I would be disappointed with Rocksteady sticking with their 'follow the trail' formula, but thank God they added so much new things (e.g. deep tissue scanner, video footage review, etc.) and even improved upon Origins' Case File system
  • The Batmobile is fun to use, whether in Pursuit Mode or Battle Mode
  • The Riddler puzzles (both for Trophies and his "rooms") are really great and don't use old puzzle types, at least not so much
  • The Most Wanted missions integrate pretty well into the plot, it doesn't feel like you're going out of your way to do these side activities or missions, as it's all part of saving Gotham
  • Two-Face's were fun because in a way, they were Predator encounters where we didn't have to hold back--with regards to noise

As for what I didn't like:

• They removed Special Combo Bat Swarm. Why on Earth would you do that. That was the best move Batman had
  • They removed Challenge Maps. For POW's sake. And now they expect us to pay for them. Hahaha, POW you.
  • Rocksteady doesn't shy away from their desire to let people experience the Batmobile
  • What I mean to say is
  • The amount of time we have to spend using the Batmobile is too goddamn high
  • It's especially ridiculous when they expect you to outrun Arkham Knight's Excavator while maneuvering through those curved tunnels, or fighting 20+ tanks at the same time as well as those Dragonfly drones and the ones that shoot out homing missiles
  • Man-Bat's mission was a waste. It could have been great but there was no gameplay in it. No fighting. Nothing. At all. Rocksteady, did you know we have this feature called "Gadgets While Gliding?"" It's pretty neat.
  • The same goes for Hush's mission, only it's worse. There's no investigation, no suspense, nothing. You just go up the elevator and wait to press the Counter button.
  • Deacon Blackfire's mission at least had Combat, but it was ultimately disappointing as it was less than five minutes long or so
  • The lack of more interesting side missions, especially ones that actually feature a villain
  • Harley and Jason's story packs are 10+ minutes long only and we can't even play the maps individually
  • They also don't have extra skins

As for the story and such, things I liked:

• Pretty much everything
  • It was a deep dive into Batman's psyche and it was done exceptionally well
  • We get to see just how much Batman cares for his allies
  • Jim and Barbara get a good amount of screen time and shine during their moments
  • Barbara was amazing in the third act
  • JASON OH GOD MY BOY I AM SO SORRY FORGIVE ME
  • J
  • A
  • S
  • O
  • N
  • GODS
  • I love this new take on Jason's story, it was really interesting
  • While I already knew Jason was the Knight (it was obvious and I got spoiled), I did not expect the twist that was his not-death
  • Jason has basically become the most badass villain in the Arkhamverse because hot damn, son. That suit (Arkham Knight) is fine.
  • Jason played such a big role in the story of the biggest Batman game yet!
  • Robin was great, 'nuff said
  • Nightwing's personality is just... there! Bless you, Scott Porter and the lines Rocksteady gave you
  • Ivy was fantastic. I've kind of always supported her (well, more like in recent years) endeavor to protect nature and not give a shit about all them meat bags. Yes. Die, human scum!
  • The Joker "clones" were interesting and a great way to show how even in death, Joker can still wreak havoc--especially in Batman's life
  • Batman being the last Joker. Damn, son.
  • Speaking of which, all the Joker hallucinations
  • Joker's commentary throughout the story was great and really funny too, but at the same time it served as Batman's other voice, letting players know what he's thinking (his guilt over Barbara's "death," endangering Tim, etc.)
  • Batman and Joker's final fight
  • The ending (Wayne vs. Crane)
  • Jim learning Batman's secret identity
  • The rest of the world learning Batman's secret identity
  • Flash, Superman, and all the other references to the wider DC Universe made by thugs and militiamen
  • Again, Barbara
  • Also again, J a s o n
  • How Jason is more beautiful than all the other characters (except Barbara)
  • No, seriously
  • Look at Dick (the supposed "pretty boy") and Tim
  • Now look at Jason
  • Jason is beautiful
  • Dick's face looks too smoothened out or something, like they got rid of the edges of his face and just made it curved--in a lot of angles
  • Tim's face looks weird in some angles
  • Bruce is okay
  • But Jason?
  • Jason looks good
  • And Barbara's really pretty :>

Things I did not like:

• The way they used the female characters: Barbara "dying," Catwoman being held hostage by the Riddler, Ivy sacrificing herself, Harley's tiny role in the story
  • That's it? I think?
  • Lol, no
  • Two-Face not being in the story
  • Penguin only appearing for a brief moment in the story
  • The only villains in the main story pretty much just being the Knight and Scarecrow--though I suppose this makes sense as they're the primary focus and like RS said, the Most Wanted missions aren't really side missions in a way, so, yeah, I guess that makes sense
  • Robin not being in the story much (he was there for a few conversations, physically there for the Studio section, and at the end where we rescue him *sighs*)
  • Nightwing also not being in the story save one moment
  • Hush's story was disappointing
  • Deacon Blackfire could've been developed a bit more
  • Deathstroke
  • Like, why?
  • He feels so out of place
  • And are you seriously telling me you didn't upgrade your gear at all?
  • After ten or so years?
  • Really?
  • The lack of other villains showing up
  • Are you trying to tell me, that on the biggest opportunity to lay waste on Gotham and Batman, only these guys take the opportunity? Bullshit.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby gonzzCABJ » Jul 2nd, 2015, 1:53 am

BuNKiTZ wrote:Are you trying to tell me, that on the biggest opportunity to lay waste on Gotham and Batman, only these guys take the opportunity? Bullshit.

Well, you know. DLCs.
"That's part of the rule. Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Above all -- never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
gonzzCABJ

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:17 am

gonzzCABJ wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:Are you trying to tell me, that on the biggest opportunity to lay waste on Gotham and Batman, only these guys take the opportunity? Bullshit.

Well, you know. DLCs.

Which is even more bullshit. They don't necessarily even take place during Arkham Knight's events, though, so my point still stands.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby RdJokr » Jul 2nd, 2015, 5:29 am

BuNKiTZ wrote:
gonzzCABJ wrote:

Well, you know. DLCs.

Which is even more bullshit. They don't necessarily even take place during Arkham Knight's events, though, so my point still stands.

From what I can see, it would seem that Season of Infamy is supposed to add more Most Wanted villains to the main game, and not a separate story DLC. So yeah... there's that. Another case of content purposely cut back for DLC.
RdJokr

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE