Boss Fights

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: Boss Fights

Postby BrainyAche » Jun 29th, 2015, 1:20 pm

SenSx wrote:Arkham Knigth story was too long, badly written, Scarecrow treatment SUCKED, no boss fight against Scarecrow, Arkham Knight boss fight SUCKED, and WAAAY to much batmobile sequences.

Gameplay was awesome, the rest was garbage.

Origins had a better story, and better boss battles.

Exactly the game is just overrated thats all. Rocksteady made this game and because of this almost everybody is pleased by their work even though it has at least 10 different flaws that nobody seems to care about. The badly written story is just one of them.
BrainyAche

Postby bismp » Jun 29th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Are there even boss fights i the game?I am about 60% at the main story,and the only "boss fight" was against the remotely controlled helicopter.And as i hear,from now on the boss fights will be either cutscenes or batmobile fights.This really disappoints me,as i would give this game a 10/10 if there were proper fist fights against AK and Deathstroke....
At least i hope that the devs will hear this,and maybe design some decent boss fights for the season pass....
bismp

Postby E.Nigma Show » Jun 29th, 2015, 2:41 pm

I love this thread.

Boss fights...
To that I say......What Boss Fights!?!?!

It's almost as if Rocksteady knew they were bad at making boss fights and said: "Let's just not make any!!"
? ? ? RiDdLe mE tHiS ? ? ?
E.Nigma Show

Favourite Villain: Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby kain9998 » Jun 29th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Buddy of mine was complaining to me that there weren't any giant Scarecrow bosses in the story this time around, but to be completely honest I don't think there needed to be, and with the story they were trying to tell it would have felt more out of place than anything.

Batman's fears have changed this time around. He's afraid of the Joker inside of him slowly corrupting him and taking him over. Because of this, almost all of his fear segments involve the Joker in some way, and you see him grow inside of Batman's psyche as the fear toxin slowly begins to take hold, as Joker begins to appear more and more throughtout the main story. Joker in a sense was in this as a part of Scarecrow, if you think about it. Because Scarecrow's toxin is what made Joker appear and become more prominent in Batman's mind. So while you are fighting against the Joker mentally, technically you are also fighting against Crane.

I just feel that if there was a giant Scarecrow that we had to take down, it wouldn't make sense in the overall scheme of things. It'd have felt more forced than anything else. As for the lack of other bosses, I really didn't mind anyways because the game felt much more like a journey for Bruce mentally than it did physically, so I don't think they were really needed as much as they were in the other games.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby reversepolarizer » Jun 29th, 2015, 9:45 pm

kain9998 wrote:Buddy of mine was complaining to me that there weren't any giant Scarecrow bosses in the story this time around, but to be completely honest I don't think there needed to be, and with the story they were trying to tell it would have felt more out of place than anything.

Batman's fears have changed this time around. He's afraid of the Joker inside of him slowly corrupting him and taking him over. Because of this, almost all of his fear segments involve the Joker in some way, and you see him grow inside of Batman's psyche as the fear toxin slowly begins to take hold, as Joker begins to appear more and more throughtout the main story. Joker in a sense was in this as a part of Scarecrow, if you think about it. Because Scarecrow's toxin is what made Joker appear and become more prominent in Batman's mind. So while you are fighting against the Joker mentally, technically you are also fighting against Crane.

I just feel that if there was a giant Scarecrow that we had to take down, it wouldn't make sense in the overall scheme of things. It'd have felt more forced than anything else. As for the lack of other bosses, I really didn't mind anyways because the game felt much more like a journey for Bruce mentally than it did physically, so I don't think they were really needed as much as they were in the other games.

I personally didn't want a retread of AA's Scarecrow "boss fights." Those are untouchable in my opinion. I just would have liked some actual 1v1 boss fights. Joker trying to take over Bat's mind was actually my favorite part of the story but if they were going to do it why bother doing the blood poisoning thing? They have a villain who specializes in getting people to give into their fears and they needlessly convoluted it.

In terms of needing boss fights, I think this was also screwed up by the story. Apparently, Scarecrow got all of the villains to work together to stop the Bat but you'd have no idea if they didn't tell you. Harvey and Penguin are supposedly working together but we never see that happen. They don't team up to attack Batman, Two-Face is robbing banks (brilliant plan) and Penguin is supplying the Arkham Knight's army. Firefly burns firestations and then runs away from you. Harley apparently goes against Scarecrow's plan anyway. Pyg, Man-Bat, Deacon and Hush are all working alone. Riddler is kinda of only one actively antagonizing the Dark Knight. And even so there are only 3 villains in the main storyline. Nearly all of the villain sidemissions feel completely inconsequential in regards to the story.

There are 4 sidemissions dedicated to various militia outposts that could have easily been rolled into 1 or 2. The stupid firefighter mission that could have been tied into Firefly to break up the gameplay or eliminated entirely, and then Hush and Azreal that were completely missed opportunities.

My very long winded point is, this should have been a boss heavy game. I understand the mental battle that Batman goes through (and it's arguably the best done portions of the game). But it would have made much more sense for there to be an active attack on Batman to wear him down for Scarecrow.
reversepolarizer

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow, Joker

Postby kain9998 » Jun 30th, 2015, 1:30 am

To each their own. :P
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Postby Benji » Jun 30th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Really disappointed in this.

I enjoyed all the boss fights from Asylum and City (yes, even the titans).

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket

Postby bismp » Jul 1st, 2015, 2:00 pm

Seriously,the lack of boss battles is a huge letdown...I think that 99% of people would be happy if there was much less battle mode and a few boss fights...
The AK is supposed to be Batman's equal.Well,we actually see that:HE IS EQUAL AT DRIVING!I mean,seriously?WTH?AK should have had AT LEAST 1 fist fight,and i wouldn't mind if it was QTE.
The same applies to Deathstroke.He is a goddamns assassin,not a tank driver.

I mean,if they wanted to have all these battle mode bosses,i would be fine with it if there were also at least 3-4 combat bosses.Instead we got 0...I hope that the dlc will salvage the situation,either because Rocksteady will react to the critisism or beacuse WB will develop them
bismp

Postby E.Nigma Show » Jul 1st, 2015, 2:24 pm

bismp wrote:Seriously,the lack of boss battles is a huge letdown...I think that 99% of people would be happy if there was much less battle mode and a few boss fights...
The AK is supposed to be Batman's equal.Well,we actually see that:HE IS EQUAL AT DRIVING!I mean,seriously?WTH?AK should have had AT LEAST 1 fist fight,and i wouldn't mind if it was QTE.
The same applies to Deathstroke.He is a goddamns assassin,not a tank driver.

I mean,if they wanted to have all these battle mode bosses,i would be fine with it if there were also at least 3-4 combat bosses.Instead we got 0...I hope that the dlc will salvage the situation,either because Rocksteady will react to the critisism or beacuse WB will develop them

I seriously doubt anything else will change. I am almost positive all the DLC villain stuff is either done, or almost done. If they are releasing one "big" DLC pack a month, no way they can change up things now.

Lol, hate to be a Debbie Downer but the $40 Season Pass isn't looking so good now after what we have seen what we got so far.....Harley Quinn "story" pack that lasts 15 mins (same for Red Hood I hear), no boss battles.......

I really hope Barbara's "story" pack is a LOT longer than Harley's and the Villain DLC has actual boss battles.
E.Nigma Show

Postby SenSx » Jul 1st, 2015, 2:41 pm

kain9998 wrote:Joker in a sense was in this as a part of Scarecrow, if you think about it. Because Scarecrow's toxin is what made Joker appear and become more prominent in Batman's mind. So while you are fighting against the Joker mentally, technically you are also fighting against Crane.

This

As much as I am dispointed of the lack of gameplay confrontation against Scarecrow, every Joker hallucination is some kind of Scarecrow'sdoing, and every fight during those hallucinations are some kind of confrontation against Scarecrow...
At least that is what I am telling myself to balance out the disapointment.
SenSx

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby E.Nigma Show » Jul 1st, 2015, 5:17 pm

SenSx wrote:
kain9998 wrote:Joker in a sense was in this as a part of Scarecrow, if you think about it. Because Scarecrow's toxin is what made Joker appear and become more prominent in Batman's mind. So while you are fighting against the Joker mentally, technically you are also fighting against Crane.

This

As much as I am dispointed of the lack of gameplay confrontation against Scarecrow, every Joker hallucination is some kind of Scarecrow'sdoing, and every fight during those hallucinations are some kind of confrontation against Scarecrow...
At least that is what I am telling myself to balance out the disapointment.

I prefer this theory. However, the story states
Spoiler: show
Batman is becoming the Joker slowly, like the other people already effected by his blood. It's safe to say, they all had some form of Joker hallucination as well.

I do prefer to believe it is Crane, but sadly, it's Joker. While Crane does infect the entire city (which is mostly vacated) with the Cloudburst, the true effect on Batman is not Crane, but Joker.
E.Nigma Show

Postby SenSx » Jul 1st, 2015, 7:51 pm

It is both.
I refuse to believe this is only Joker's doing, hallucinations are from Scarecrow, and I prefer it that way.
SenSx

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:26 pm

Boss fights are overated and a lot of the times forced. Out of how many boss fights in the Arkham series, how many were good? 2? Maybe 3?

They hinder storytelling with silly tropes. Just look at the Last of Us. No boss fights. Great Story.

I liked it. And we did get Semi-Boss fights through Pyg, Two-Face, and Riddler in side missions.

Harley's Arc had a bunch of mini boss battles with Robin, taking down the three Joker Infected People: Albert King, Christina Bell, Johnny Charisma, and then Harley herself.

Also if you want to call those cloudburst abominations boss battles with both the Arkham Knight and Slade, you could as well. But you probably shouldn't. Cause they were awful. lol

And the Excavator (AK's Drill monstrosity) thing with the batmobile was probably the most boss battly of all. And that really dampered the story imo.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Jack out of Box » Jul 3rd, 2015, 9:33 pm

I can deal with there being no boss fights but I really wish some of the side missions actually had longer story arcs with more variety.

For example, instead of chasing firefly 3 times in the batmobile we could have chased him once, then had a predator encounter where we have to enter a burning building to save victims while avoiding him and finish with a more one on one/arial fight much like origins.

clayface could have done an amazing job with hush

deathstroke could have fought us in predator/combat and batmobile challenges.

all the sidemissions seemed too one-dimensional to me
Jack out of Box

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Guest » Jul 4th, 2015, 9:31 am

[quote="Doudyx-X-xDubs"]Boss fights are overated and a lot of the times forced. Out of how many boss fights in the Arkham series, how many were good? 2? Maybe 3?

They hinder storytelling with silly tropes. Just look at the Last of Us. No boss fights. Great Story.

I liked it. And we did get Semi-Boss fights through Pyg, Two-Face, and Riddler in side missions.

Harley's Arc had a bunch of mini boss battles with Robin, taking down the three Joker Infected People: Albert King, Christina Bell, Johnny Charisma, and then Harley herself.

Also if you want to call those cloudburst abominations boss battles with both the Arkham Knight and Slade, you could as well. But you probably shouldn't. Cause they were awful. lol

And the Excavator (AK's Drill monstrosity) thing with the batmobile was probably the most boss battly of all. And that really dampered the story imo.[/quote]

I may be part of a dying breed but I still love a good boss fight. I've never felt like a fight in the arkham series has hindered the story and there's not a single one I find laborious or boring. Also, whilst I loved the last of us, there's a reason I've only played it once but I've played every arkham games multiple times. A good story is great but "The Last of Us" didn't have too many memorable gameplay moments for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE