Boss Fights

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: Boss Fights

Postby Red_Hood » Jul 10th, 2015, 2:16 am

reversepolarizer wrote:
Red_Hood wrote:So, umm I guess I am in the minority and I don't agree with most of you. I don't feel like a lack of boss battles is a bad thing in the game. I would rather have barely any, instead of boss battles that are terrible and not original. Also, I don't even know why people say Joker is the main villain.. Yeah he is in the game and you have a "boss battle" with your mind with the Joker, but he is still not the main villain. Scarecrow and Arkham Knight are.

Also, yeah Rocksteady doesn't have challenge maps, but I don't find it that big of a problem. :oldyella:

It's not just actual "battles" as much as villain encounters. I found nearly all of the villain encounters fairly lackluster. Deathstroke should have been left out with the shoddy treatment he received. Most of the other villains weren't used in clever, interesting or even memorable ways. Scarecrow was turned into Strange 2.0 (albeit a bit more hands on). I'd agree that Joker isn't necessarily the main villain but he get's the most screen time and is easily the most memorable part of the game. Not to mention a large part of the plot revolving around the Joker infected. Also, we did get terrible and unoriginal battles in the tank sections of the game. Deathstroke was literally the cloudburst with very minor changes. The excavator kind of painted Jason as an idiot (or we were supposed to believe completely blinded by rage?). At least combat and predator rooms provided us with different gameplay options, the tank sequences all played out exactly the same.

To be more specific, consider the Penguin in AC vs AK. In AK we take him down in a cut scene, in AC we get a beatdown after we deal with his museum, Mr. Sickle, and Grundy. After all he put us through it was cathartic. In AK, we got a lackluster sidemission that was literally the same thing everytime we did it, only for it to end with cutscene. That to me is a letdown. I don't need a crazy elaborate boss fight, just a build up to a satisfying finish. AK was quite lacking in this.

I will admit that the Deathstroke boss battle was a disappointment, but I didn't mind the excavator because I had trouble with it (because I sucked at driving the batmobile at the time)

"Say hi to Joker for me."
Red_Hood

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 10th, 2015, 11:22 am

Jack out of Box wrote:The new Batgirl DLC supposedly has a dualplay battle with Batgirl and robin versus the joker and Harley.
This is a fantastic idea nad makes me wonder how many other Arkham villains would make perfect team up boss battles.

Some personal Villain Team ups I'd love to see are:
-Two-Face and Penguin
-Arkham Knight and Deathstroke
-Hush and Clayface
-Riddler and Either Cluemaster or Mad Hatter

Riddler has been handling the side mission stuff single-handedly for too long I feel and could use a helping hand. Mad hatter would be perfect in providing some physically paradoxical challenges that Riddler designs.

Some other ideas I had concerning Arkham Knights Rogue gallery

Two-Face
-utilize the coin.
-combat and predator levels could have multiple environmental hazards which Two-Face controls. think electrical floors, turrets, hostages hooked up to timer bombs, toxic gas that fills up a certain level. All of which Harvey flips a coin for while narrating the outcome. Batman must then address the issue that arises should the coin land unfavorably.
-scale of justice combat structured level

-team up with Penguin could involve Penguin choosing different umbrella weapons which Harvey flips a coin for.

Hush
-Hush is a much better villain in my opinion when he is Aware that Bruce is Batman and concocts elaborate schemes to screw with Batman and make him suffer.
-Hush used Clayface in the comics concerning Jason's identity to mess with Batman and I can't imagine why Rocksteady passed up the opportunity to give it their own unique spin

-Hush should be tied to a lot of detective sequences where Batman is hunting down Elliot. Multiple clues and evidence should be available leading us to different conclusions many of which are red herrings. each line of clues should lead to us chasing down a masked figure who turns out to be a false lead hired by Hush until we find Elliot ourselves.

Clayface
-Has extraordinary Narrative potential honestly. Can be used as a plot device, complement another villain scheme etc. I feel he is best used in a group combat sequence or one-on-one boss battle. Predator doesn't seem intuitively appropriate

Different claymen: the idea is to have a group of enemies that reacts differently to batman's attacks and is and is constantly changing as a result

1. Layered. these claymen start off the size of Brutes but are unaffected by beat downs. if batman does and ariel attack he becomes engulfed and must break free with punches. Layered claymen can become hardened with the REC or freeze grenande which makes them susceptible to beat downs which break off layers until they are defeated

2. Thug Claymen. act much like simple thugs. absorb explosive gel. either reform after blowing up or break into a smaller enemy type

3.Morphers. able to alter arms into various weapon types or change as a result of batman's gadget attacks.

4. Combiners. smaller enemy type that can combine to form a larger type or are created from the explosion on a larger one.

Killer Croc
Here we have an enemy that requires a great environment. Croc is a giant threat up close so it seems natural to involve a mechanics that centers around avoiding him whilst being hunted or keeping him at a distance
-We've seen from Arkham Asylum that there needs to be a balance with being hunted and having some kind of engagement with him or else it's too boring or not thrilling enough.

-My idea is to have a Boss battle where the tables turn eventually.

-Ideal location is a sewer Labyrinth. possibly entered while Batman is looking for Blackfire and his Cult.
-Croc can be a dynamic entity that reacts to sound, smell, tacks left by batman and vibrations
-Different elements in the environment can either Alert Cros, distract him temporarily, slow him down or conceal both batman and Croc.

-The goal could be to escape Croc with some segments requiring us brave close-encounters or traverse areas that expose us.

-eventually we could find an old shock collar or some device to incapacitate Croc which we must now attempt to attach to him.

-A stage combat idea is a floating platform consisting of four separate parts. Croc could have attacks that affect the stability of one of the four platforms requiring players to manage their position while dodging fierce attacks.
-Croc can enter the water underneath where he can flip a platform, attempt to grab us or emerge.
-If grabbed, Batman must break free from a death roll with Croc.

I'm not sure on how batman could take him down eventually but perhaps it could involve placing and arming the collar in a QTE or some such thing.

POW. Off. Man! These are brilliant ideas! UGH. ROCKSTEADY WHY. HIRE THIS GUY.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby ArthurWynne » Jul 12th, 2015, 11:39 pm

On replaying the story (Knightmare/NG+ mode) I gotta say I really enjoyed the boss fight with Albert King (the Jokerized Boxer). Anyone else enjoy that one?
ArthurWynne

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Ebbtide » Jul 13th, 2015, 1:26 am

ArthurWynne wrote:On replaying the story (Knightmare/NG+ mode) I gotta say I really enjoyed the boss fight with Albert King (the Jokerized Boxer). Anyone else enjoy that one?

It was fun, but it also helped that you actually fought him, unlike the other two Jokerz. The girl even had a gun, yet she still just charges you. It helps that it's the only dual play boss fight, so it stands out and is more memorable because of it.
Ebbtide

Favourite Villain: The Scarecrow

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Jul 14th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Ebbtide wrote:
ArthurWynne wrote:On replaying the story (Knightmare/NG+ mode) I gotta say I really enjoyed the boss fight with Albert King (the Jokerized Boxer). Anyone else enjoy that one?

It was fun, but it also helped that you actually fought him, unlike the other two Jokerz. The girl even had a gun, yet she still just charges you. It helps that it's the only dual play boss fight, so it stands out and is more memorable because of it.

The Batgirl DLC boss battle puts the main game to shame
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby ArthurWynne » Jul 15th, 2015, 3:31 am

PriestlyBlock67 wrote:
Ebbtide wrote:

The Batgirl DLC boss battle puts the main game to shame

From what I saw it's exactly like the Albert King boss fight
ArthurWynne

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Previous

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE