General AK Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

General AK Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Postby TFDutchman » Jun 26th, 2015, 9:31 am

Starting a new topic here for all general discussion regarding the game in it's entirety. Spoilers will be appreciated if kept in tabs.

This is to move all discussion regarding the game, people's progress, thoughts about bosses, the story, etc. and get it out of the Off-Topic Lounge.

So Story-wise I've made it as far as
Spoiler: show
Harley Quinn in the theatre

and so far I'm leaning towards the probability that I feel I enjoy AK's story above all the others.
Joker's inclusion as a hallucination is especially well thought out. I love how he'll randomly appear, even when free roaming, and even how statues, billboards and posters will change appearance to change to Joker's appearance.

By far the creepiest thing was when Joker mimicked the first jump scare with Man-Bat.

And honestly that scene with Oracle shooting herself in the head, powerful stuff. Rocksteady certainly aren't afraid to go to a really dark place with this one and I'm loving it.

Side missions:
Two-Face, Pyg, Firefly and APCs completed. Completed all of Riddler's courses and freed Catwoman, a little over 25% of all riddles, trophies and destructibles collected.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: General AK Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Postby SasukeUchiha93 » Jun 26th, 2015, 12:20 pm

So Story-wise I've made it as far as:
Batmobile vs Arkham Knight's driller machine thing, man its HARD

Side Missions:
Almost done everything just got 3 Fire Fighters to find, couple bombs to defuse, Riddler race tracks, Riddler Trophies, the roadblock things and 2 Azrael quests

Overall Thoughts:
Really enjoying it so far and the game looks Beautiful, Surprised with Ivy's death and wished they would have done away with saving the fire fighters and given that time to Harley, Really wish i can get my hands on a Red Hood Code.
Last edited by SasukeUchiha93 on Jun 26th, 2015, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SasukeUchiha93

Favourite Villain: Very hard to pick
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hard to pick

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jun 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Question regarding Knightfall protocol:

What do I have to do to get 100%?
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby TFDutchman » Jun 26th, 2015, 4:52 pm

I just finished off my night with
start of the cloudburst boss. Was so close then screwed up right at the end.

Pretty well close to wrapping up side missions. Still need to do firefighters, outposts, mines, watchtowers, azrael and riddles

TFDutchman

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jun 26th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:Question regarding Knightfall protocol:

What do I have to do to get 100%?

I believe the main story and most wanted cases, that's it.

I finished the story, did about three or four side missions. Here's what I love about the game:
-joker was integrated very well into the game. I didn't want him to be back, but this is by far my favorite use of the joker in any batman thing ever, excluding comics ofcourse. My favorite line being "I think I'm starting to grow a soft spot for Barbara. Fortunately, mine isn't located in the vertebrae".
-slowly watching batman shift his mentality to the jokers is crazy. Snapping the jokers neck was a great scene.
-the voice acting is insanely good. Speaking of insane, whoever voiced Todd did great! It really sounded like he wanted bruce in the ground, sounded very damaged and used.
The last hour or two was fantastic. After destroying cloudburst, I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen.
-gameplay was excellent and improved every aspect. A bigger environment for batman means he needs to use everything in his power to stop thugs, so things like fear takedowns don't bother me, because batman would do that in situations like that.
-I actually liked Oracle here. More than I liked Alfred, tbh.
-Lucious Fox! My new favorite arkhamverse character, only because he's lee Everett.
-Knight had the best story out of the main trilogy. The themes were very reminiscent of Asylum, and it had similar features. City was too corny and over the top, which isn't an issue in this game. This game can be brutally dark when you aren't expecting it to be.
-Ivy was portrayed very well. Her death shows more about her character than the last three games have.

What I don't like:
-scarecrow disappointed me. There was no huge climatic battle with him. Also, everytime he appears he reminds you that you won't make it out. Almost as annoying as Hugo Strange reminding you about protocol 10 every hour.
-boss fights were kinda ass. The drill tank being the only enjoyable one for me so far.
-a little too much batmobile. I liked it a lot though, you just have to depend on it too often.
-there were audio glitches out the ass for me, almost ruined my experience. Thankfully I fixed it.
-False advertising in the game synopsis. It states that Harley Quinn, two face, and penguin are some of the biggest threats of the game. The only threats in this game are Arkham Knight and Scarecrow. Harley has a total of five minutes screen time. Two-face barely made it, and penguin has more lines that both of them combined but still doesn't do much.
I once had this crazy cool idea for a man bat fight that involved batman using mid-air gadgets to defeat him. They added both of those features in the game, but mid air combat isn't how you fight the beast. You just fly into him....... What the hell, rocksteady. I know it's just a side mission, but that's just lazy.
-Why didn't the arkham knight kill batman at the end when he had the chance? Wait, he's red hood now? When did that happen? And why?

I really love this game. I know it would be so cliche to rate it as my favorite in the series, but I am doing that. They improved on City so much, and as I look back city had so many problems and poor writing.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby Chob » Jun 26th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Had to "manipulate" the game for one drone battle in that I upgraded the Batmobile shields right as one more hit would've taken me down. Had to do some AR challenges to get Waynetech points. That is some battle.

Call me crazy, but I'll take sneaking up on Cobras any day.
Chob

Postby BlackBlade » Jun 26th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Alright, I completed the game last night. I'm just going to throw my full inside of a spoiler tab to keep things simple.

Alright. I'll start with the story. I loved it. I'll preface by admitting that the fact that I love Jason Todd helped to make me extra giddy during all of the flashbacks. I liked that Scarecrow was just a client to him and he ultimately couldn't control AK in his vendetta quest. I liked nearly every turn of the story. I liked Batman thinking Barbara was dead and the tension with Jim. I liked the way in which Tim and Dick were included (though I would have liked to be able to do a bit more with them; here's hoping for some Bludhaven DLC or something). I liked how Batman's flashbacks mostly took place at the movie theater where Tim was with him and he even called him Jason once. I am a bit undecided about the people "turning into" Jokers (and how Harley found out about them) but it worked and it made the game a bit creepier and heightened the stakes. I loved Joker being in Batman's head throughout the whole game. What a great way to send them both off. In a way, since Scarecrow's only effect on Batman is causing his Joker to come out, Joker gets to be the villain again. Batman is kind of fighting the voices in his head as much as anything. The inclusion of the GCPD was great. I loved the way most side missions came up organically but not how they were executed, and I'll get to more on that below. I liked that Hush worked into the story with Lucius. I liked how you encounter Manbat unwittingly. How you track Firefly via the smoke in the city. I liked how Harley came in to the plot for a great isolated segment. I liked the robberies in progress. All of it was written as I'd like it to be. It's not every villain they can think of ganging up on Batman. It's a bunch of criminals doing their own things on the side that interweave with what you're doing in pursuit of the larger plot. Not sure why Ivy got to be featured so prominently. It was okay. Could have been better. Also why Tim and Babs? Whatever, Arkhamverse wants it's own lore, fine, but in the context of the game it could just as easily have been Dick. Not sure why they chose to rock that boat so it annoyed me. Finally, the last hour or so of the main story, from the time that AK destroys your first car, is maybe my favorite chunk of gaming ever. The finale where you become Joker? All of it. Epic.

Okay. Side missions. I'll just do them one at a time.

Two Face: Good. Classic predator rooms, a crime that fits his MO. In my opinion it was a perfect way to include him without over crowding the game.

Penguin: Really enjoyed tracking the trucks via the sky. Probably because it was a nice change from the godawful batmobile. And it was a good way to include Dick. Would have liked more Nightwing somehow but this was a good side mission.

Hush: Good premise, using his new identity to gain access to Wayne properties. Horrible execution. All that waiting for a one and done knockout? Let down.

Manbat: I enjoyed it. Loved the pop up scare and tracking him in the sky. Wish there'd been a bit more to it than just tackling him though. Well written side mission with mediocre execution.

Pyg: Phenomenal. Spooky. Atmospheric. Awesome. Wish they'd done every thing this good.

Firefly: Awful. I hated the batmobile and chasing this fool around with it four times just to pop out and tackle him was simply frustrating and little else. Towards the end I was pursuing it only for completion's sake.

Azrael: Love the premise. Thought the execution was a bit weak. You want to be my successor? No need to get to know you just defeat four simulations without getting tagged and I'll consider it. Loved the ending though. Multiple choice like that is appreciated in a game like this.

Harley: Not a side mission but I'll address it here. Her sequence was great. Her voice got more annoying somehow. Not sure why.

Jack Ryder: Great little inclusion. This was acceptable as a one and done. Good job.

Riddler: His section was great. Everything with freeing Catwoman was enjoyable. Good puzzles, etc. Didn't get to fight his final robot form as I'm still hunting riddles. Probably never will, honestly, which is disappointing. I just don't enjoy collecting his trophies enough to invest the time and frustration for some of them.

ALL Militia Side Missions: BORING. Repetitive. Frustrating. Boring. I like that they had some variety but there was too many, all the same and the batmobile was so over used for non optional stuff that I just left the bombs and tracking down APCs alone at the end. Didn't care. Not fun.

The batmobile was only fun for a while. I quickly came to hate it, which is a shame because I could have loved it if it was used more sparingly. WAY too many drone battles. Can't forgive that. It just hurts the game so much for me. If the batmobile was used about half us much in the main story, and 1/4 as much on the side quests, and just the way that it was for Riddler's campaign, it would be great. It wasn't balanced well and I hated it. And in a game called Arkham Knight, about Batman, the two toughest fights were in tanks, and two of three fights against the Arkham Knight were in tanks. Come on. And when I finally did get to "face" AK it was a simple grapple up and let the cutscenes take over? This is the game's title character and a man trained by Batman (and then some). Let's have a real fight scene between these two former friends, shall we? Let down by that.

I looked up the Knightfall Protocol and I'm okay with it. I believe it's a faked death so he and Alfred can avoid the scrutiny of his identity being out. I'm fine with that ending.

Overall I give AK and 8/10. Could have been a 9 if the batmobile hadn't been force fed to me. Could have approached a 10' if some of the side missions were better executed along with a much more satisfying final confrontation with AK.
~"They say that when you kill a man you not only take away what he was, but all he will ever be."
BlackBlade

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Red Hood: Lost Years

Postby AbbieXEric » Jun 26th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Can i talk to scarecrow after locking him up or is that not possible?
AbbieXEric

Favourite Villain: Black Mask/Firefly
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long halloween

Postby TFDutchman » Jun 27th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Sitting at 95%. Completed the main story and majority of the side quests. All i''ve got left is riddler and the campaign of disarmament.

dat ending. Wow. I loved the mimic of the opening scene of Arkham Asylum for the finale. A great way to come full circle for the trilogy. The psychological aspect of the game and the constant mental battle against Joker was just brilliant. The final segment playing as Joker was just haunting and perfectly executed. Batman as a Weeping Angel is terrifying.

Felt there could've been a tiny bit more to the ending between Batman and Jason. He saves his life and then disappears. Could've used a bit more of a resolution.

All the side missions have been great. Like most I just wish there was more to Hush. It tied up the loose end from AC, but didn't do much more than provide a character moment for Tommy and putting Lucius in trouble.

Killer Croc cameo was great. His mutation was really off the charts.

Love how the GCPD fills up as you complete content and that you can visit and chat with the captured villains.

Now I can't wait to see what villains we'll see in the season pass content. Skins, new missions, new challenge maps, really can't wait. Curious if the new villains will be added to the Most Wanted or if they'll be isolated stories like the Harley and Red Hood packs.

Overall I think AK may be my favourite story and overall game of all 3 titles.

TFDutchman

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jun 27th, 2015, 6:41 pm

My thoughts are in my signature. ;)
Harvey Bullock

Postby BrainyAche » Jun 27th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:My thoughts are in my signature. ;)

So true! :oldyella:
BrainyAche

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jun 27th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Conroy has been really disappointing so far...

Especially in the scene where Barbara... :sad:
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby FearGasVictim11 » Jun 27th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:My thoughts are in my signature. ;)

Nicely written article :) Although I would like to discuss one thing that was mentioned a couple of times on this board too. You, and I think some other people around here, say that the female characters in Knight are weak.
First of all, no one can deny that they all are playing a victim-role at least some time during the game. One the other hand: A lot of the male characters are too. Nightwing gets captured by Penguin, Fox gets captured by Hush, Gordon gets captured by the Arkham Knight, hell, even Batman gets shortly captured by the Penguin until Dick pops up for the rescue. Are they also weakly portrayed?
I would actually say no to both. It's not like Oracle is captured by some thug she could easily fend off, it's
Jason
we are talking about here. He is a very skilled fighter and he should be able to kidnap the former Batgirl without making her look like a weak female who can't take care of herself. She even manages to make the car crash she is taken away with and almost escapes. You could even argue that it's more weak of Dick, a male character, to be captured by the Penguin, someone who he should be able to fend off a lot more easily (even though Cobblepot is described as an expert hand to hand combatant in his bio).
I think the problem has nothing to do with female characters, but rather with the repetitiveness of the whole rescue me, I'm held captive-scenario.
I'm also not opposed to this Oracle-death scene by the way. I just feel Batman's reaction to it was a bit underwhelming. The idea itself was still shocking and I get that they wanted to push the fact that Batman's allies make him vulnerable. Still don't really understand how this whole fear-toxin thing works. How does Scarecrow know that Batman would see her die, you know what I mean? Is he kind of hypnotizing his victims while they are under the influence to make them see certain things? Or does everything happen in their heads and Scarecrow doesn't even know what they are seeing?
All in all I like your points and I'm not sure myself how I would rate Arkham Knight in the whole trilogy. I definitely think the battle-mode is overused, especially in the end and during boss-fights, which decreases my urge to play it again a lot more than the other three games. A very sad thing, now that I think about it again.
Some sidemissions feel a bit lazy too, like Man-Bat and Firefly. On the other hand I love a lot about the game and the visuals alone are mindblowing. Guess I still have to form my final opinion about it.
FearGasVictim11

Postby Damian_Wayne » Jun 27th, 2015, 10:49 pm

I'm not to fond of the idea about female characters. Harley for sure, she had like no point in the story and was disappointing if anything XD but Poison Ivy? Sacrificing herself to save Gotham, I loved that moment. And oracle herself really helped me by hacking those tanks at the end D: :oldyella:
"I wasn't taught to fight fair. I was taught to win."
Damian_Wayne

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jun 27th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Damian_Wayne wrote:I'm not to fond of the idea about female characters. Harley for sure, she had like no point in the story and was disappointing if anything XD but Poison Ivy? Sacrificing herself to save Gotham, I loved that moment. And oracle herself really helped me by hacking those tanks at the end D: :oldyella:

I write in that entry about how Poison Ivy is the exception and that Barbara is redeemed in the third act... :oldyella:

@FearGas, thanks for reading! The reason why I feel as though the female characters of the game are demeaned by their 'damsel status' if you will and not the men is that every female in the game needs saving at some point. This isn't the case with all the male characters in the title, which makes Knight's portrayal of women kinda uncomfortable for me. It's all 90s action movie drivel and
Barbara's 'death'
was simply used as a motivational factor for the player to get emotionally invested in taking down Scarecrow. Those familiar with Arrow will know why this is a crap thing to repeat, but I do agree with a lot of what you say too. :)
Last edited by Harvey Bullock on Jun 27th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Bullock

Next

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE