Missed Oportunities and Things That Didn't Happen

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: Missed Oportunities and Things That Didn't Happen

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 13th, 2015, 5:34 pm

E.Nigma Show wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:I will be the first to say that after his nod in Arkham City I was disappointed that Crazy Quilt didn't make an appearance in Arkham Knight. :P

Wait, there was a nod to him?

Well, some thugs near the mueseum mentioned him in their conversation. I think a couple claimed to have seen him.

All these years of playing City and I somehow missed that...? :I Maybe I just didn't recognize it cause I didn't know the character back then.

Yeah, I remember that quote. There is a nod to him in Knight though. It's one of the shops you see....

Speaking of characters we never saw...I really am disappointed Maxie Zeus did not make an appearance. After seeing his awesome cell in Aslyum and his building in City....and the way the City story talked about him...such a shame...

Hmm, not sure if I've seen said shop yet, but I'll keep an eye out!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of earlier as well. Like, seriously. We've seen everyone whose cell was in Asylum already, right? Except Maxie... *sighs*
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Hobgoblin » Jul 13th, 2015, 10:30 pm

That electric cage during the Deacon Blackfire fight would've fit Maxie Zeus better, in my opinion.
Hobgoblin

Favourite Villain: Firefly or Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Guest » Jul 14th, 2015, 10:33 am

Missed opportunity: Not using Nightwing's fantastic Arkham City design, but rather a new, far inferior design. Like, what the hell? Why?? Nightwing was perfect in Arkham City. Quite possibly Rocksteady's best character design ever. So why the heck would they just discard it? Did he look TOO good? Too handsome? Is this the supposed pretty boy-phobia that so many Western game developers supposedly suffer from?

Postby E.Nigma Show » Jul 14th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Hobgoblin wrote:That electric cage during the Deacon Blackfire fight would've fit Maxie Zeus better, in my opinion.

FOR SURE. In fact, when I saw Blackfire (didn't even know who he was) I was like: "Dang! Maxie is old in the Arkhamverse! Then I shook my head when I realized it wasn't Maxie...
? ? ? RiDdLe mE tHiS ? ? ?
E.Nigma Show

Favourite Villain: Riddler

Postby Bart. » Jul 15th, 2015, 4:12 am

Scarecrow not torturing Killer Croc and having Batman fight him while both on Fear Toxin.
Bart.

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Jul 15th, 2015, 4:32 am

With the Arkham Knight being Jason Todd, it's a shame they didn't play up his relationship with Harley Quinn. I mean, they expect us to believe that he went to Panessa Studios, painted a little symbol on the ground, and didn't even address the lover of the man who ruined his life sitting in a cell?

In my opinion, he should have killed her there. Could be a cool scene to have Batman return to find her dead in her cell.

Or just redo it completely. I think Jason would despise Harley, and want her dead. Could be an interesting plot twist to have him maybe like want to meet up with her, only to slaughter her and her whole crew. Just to add a bigger sense of "who the POW is this guy and what does he want?"
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby TheJester » Jul 15th, 2015, 4:05 pm

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:With the Arkham Knight being Jason Todd, it's a shame they didn't play up his relationship with Harley Quinn. I mean, they expect us to believe that he went to Panessa Studios, painted a little symbol on the ground, and didn't even address the lover of the man who ruined his life sitting in a cell?

In my opinion, he should have killed her there. Could be a cool scene to have Batman return to find her dead in her cell.

Or just redo it completely. I think Jason would despise Harley, and want her dead. Could be an interesting plot twist to have him maybe like want to meet up with her, only to slaughter her and her whole crew. Just to add a bigger sense of "who the POW is this guy and what does he want?"

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. That would be really messed up, but work really well...
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 15th, 2015, 5:35 pm

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:With the Arkham Knight being Jason Todd, it's a shame they didn't play up his relationship with Harley Quinn. I mean, they expect us to believe that he went to Panessa Studios, painted a little symbol on the ground, and didn't even address the lover of the man who ruined his life sitting in a cell?

:I Great idea. Well, I mean, I wouldn't want her dead, cause I like Harley, but great nonetheless. It makes plenty of sense.
BuNKiTZ

Postby Jack out of Box » Jul 18th, 2015, 3:15 am

Concerning gadgets, why have the REC and freeze grenade lost their usefulness. they seem like mere afterthoughts.

In the campaign we use the REC to shock militia standing in a puddle, why are no such mechanics present in the predator? There doesn't seem to be any electromagnets either.

The freeze grenade can't even make frozen platforms anymore and doesn't do anything new either.
It would have been awesome if the freeze grenade could be overcharged to change the environment in certain ways such as sealing a doorway, blocking a weapons crate, making stairs slippery, creating an ice block for cover etc.

The more I analyze the more I feel like Arkham Knight will be seen for its missed opportunities. I was overhyped and convinced it would improve in every way over Arkham City but it seems like the enormous task and delays of producing this game spread some areas of the game thin.
Jack out of Box

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby kain9998 » Jul 18th, 2015, 3:18 am

Hobgoblin wrote:That electric cage during the Deacon Blackfire fight would've fit Maxie Zeus better, in my opinion.

Awe man, I would have taken Zeus over Blackfire in an instant. Then again, I like Zeus more so I feel that I might have been a bit disappointed in that encounter if it was him, because it'd feel really rushed.

---

I think Hush could have worked better as a DLC story, even though I didn't mind his part in the game.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 18th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Jack out of Box wrote:Concerning gadgets, why have the REC and freeze grenade lost their usefulness. they seem like mere afterthoughts.

In the campaign we use the REC to shock militia standing in a puddle, why are no such mechanics present in the predator? There doesn't seem to be any electromagnets either.

The freeze grenade can't even make frozen platforms anymore and doesn't do anything new either.
It would have been awesome if the freeze grenade could be overcharged to change the environment in certain ways such as sealing a doorway, blocking a weapons crate, making stairs slippery, creating an ice block for cover etc.

The more I analyze the more I feel like Arkham Knight will be seen for its missed opportunities. I was overhyped and convinced it would improve in every way over Arkham City but it seems like the enormous task and delays of producing this game spread some areas of the game thin.

You'd think that Batman would have developed a proper REC with better technology, huh? That was really disappointing. The Freeze Grenade's annoying too because Batman's still using it. I find it kind of dumb that they're making one of his Quickfire Gadgets still be some gadget he was given and not something of his own. I had really hoped that RS would give us some other gadget. At least the Special Combo Freeze Grenade's really useful.
BuNKiTZ

Postby rocksteadyinformant » Jul 19th, 2015, 1:51 am

I made a great quote to sum up this game, "Arkham Knight went as bad as it possibly could have gone, and then some." Biggest disappointment in my 14 years of playing video games. One of the biggest disappointments in my life, truth be told. I knew something was up with the pathetic marketing. There was nothing to market, every villain in the main story had been unveiled. When Sefton Hill said this game would be like AA, a closely knit story between Scarecrow, and Batman. When Gamespot gave this heap of shit a seven. I still had hope, I mean what were they thinking? Never have I played a game so redundant, and drawn out. Ten solid hours of boring, repetitive gameplay. Don't even get me started on the Batmobile drone battles, or the annoying cobra's. Instead of making this game like God Of War 3, and tying up every loose end from the previous three games, they tried adding too many new faces. It backfired badly, and you guys are a reason why. The enormous pressure the fans put on Rocksteady to make story DLC's with different characters forced them to take precious time away from making a better product. Where did that Red Hood, Harley, and Batgirl DLC's get you guys to say other than too short, boring, and shitty? I agree, but the difference between us is, I knew they would be as bad as they were before they came out. Rocksteady has no doubt, run out of ideas, and creativity.. The whole Arkham Knight arc was great. I thought it was very cool, Jason's hatred toward Batman was real, and genuine. I loved it, but when the Knight was revealed to be Jason, I had no real emotional attachment to the reveal because Jason was kind of thrown in at the last second. Had he been at Joker's party at the end of Arkham Asylum, and Batman was too late to save him, then the reveal would have really blown me away. The only character they set up to be the Knight from previous game's was Hush. Hush fan's, you were lucky they tied up his loose end because they failed to tie up the story lines of Ras, Bane, Croc, and Clayface. Rocksteady hinted that Scarecrow, and Elliot were working together with the fear canisters in Hush's apartment. Had Hush gotten word that Batman was Bruce Wayne, that would of drove him to become the anti Batman seeking revenge for what Bruce had done to him. Scarecrow was the weakest antagonist i've ever seen. He attempted to be intimidating, but as, "the batman," he came off as weak, and didn't really have a plan other than to make Batman face his fears and suffer, but not die. His girl screech at the end summed up how pathetic he is behind his mask, and how he should be banned from Batman games for 10 years. My biggest complaint of all, where the POW were the boss battles? I would have taken anything, but we got nothing. The four encounters with the Knight don't count for multiple reasons I won't delve into. The fight with Albert King was cool because they applied dual play in the fight. Which was a dream of mine but against some wrestler we didn't know about. The whole Joker blood plot was cool, but it suddenly ended because Rocksteady was confused and they didn't know what to do with it, so they ended it. Had I wrote the plot I would have had Henry Adam's been Clayface. Rocksteady set up Clayface to be back but they failed to pull the trigger. How many Basil Karlo Poster poster's were there in the Panessa Studios? In every corner, right? So if Basil Karlo is dead, then why the POW is there poster's of him in every corner of a big movie studio in new Gotham? Henry Adam's was not affected by the Joker blood which gave me suspicions he was Clayface from the start. It would have made sense if he were Clayface because he was connected to Joker and sought revenge for what happened in the end of AC. Of course nothing happened, and that seemed to be case throughout the rest of the story. Speaking of Joker, Rocksteady just didn't know how to let him go.They just had to bring him back because they thought we would love him annoying us every time we turned around. When he first appeared and said, "Miss me?" My jaw was on the floor, and I was blown away. Only because I thought he was alive. Only to find out he was just a figment in Batman's head. I played along at first, but after the third encounter I was like, "This is already fucking played out." By the end of the game he had just become a giant nuisance that I walked by and ignored. I think they had more Joker in this game than the last three games combined. He ended up hogging the end of the game, in weird sequences that made little sense. Did he really need to hog the ending? NO, but Rocksteady wanted to drill in our minds that he was being laid to rest for good, as if seeing him suck down his last breath in Arkham City wasn't enough.It got to the point where I would of rather of seen him alive, rather than be a hallucination because it would spice up a boring story, and Joker wouldn't be reinforcing every situation to me.I expected Poison Ivy to be a big threat in the story but ended up becoming nothing more than an ally who sacrificed for Batman of all people, Like,what the POW? Where was Croc in all the underground sections? Where did Bane go? Where's Ras? Now I know they summed up Bane's story in a riddle, but I wanted closure in the story. I ended up going into the game dark, knowing nothing, which to me was very exciting because it was my first time doing it for an Arkham game. I sat on my ass, on pins and needles throughout the entire game waiting for that big villain reveal, and boss fight, but I never got it. Penguin, Harley, and Two-Face seemed to be working together in the announcement trailer. What happened to that? They all went there own ways, and were all taken down in one punch like every other villain in the side stories. Deathstroke was supposedly Scarecrow's left hand man but he came off to me like nothing more than the Riddler in Arkham Aslyum. A telephone tough guy! At least we ended up facing him but of course he was bunkered in a tank, and was taken down in a single punch. Just a fucking running joke. Man-Bat, Firefly, Pyg...all one one punch knockouts. Riddler was played out so playing his stupid little game for a 4th time didn't excite me. Don't get me wrong, there were many positives such as fear takedown's, environmental takedowns, dual play, the city was massive, the Batmobile was fun to drive, the graphics were great, and the Arkham Knight himself was great....but um...that whole revenge story was all too familiar. Wasn't that basically the same story arc from, Under The Red Hood. Instead of becoming Red Hood, he became the Knight. The absence of Paul Dini killed the game. Without him, Crocker, and Hill didn't know how to write a cohesive story that incorporated the major faces of Batman's rouges. The ending was weak and was left open ended because I think Rocksteady knew how poor the game was late in development, and decided that maybe this shouldn't be the end. They left it open ended to get some more time to consider a fourth installment to really close the series. Rocksteady has simply lost their creativity, and imagination, so I would be against a fourth game, but if they get their head's out of their ass and bring back Dini, and write a God Of War 3 like plot, then I would be interested in a true finale. I would love to see a game that dives into the future with Bruce, and Jason developing a partnership to take down the evil of gotham one last time. Final rating for Arkham Knight 4/10. A very poorly made game, that was no doubt rushed because they tried to focus on doing too much, instead of focusing on nailing the particulars like they executed so well in Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City.

The informant is out. Peace
rocksteadyinformant
Banned
Banned

Favourite Villain: Clayface

Postby jifw52 » Jul 19th, 2015, 5:38 am

[quote="rocksteadyinformant"][/quote]
Thanks for wasting a post by copy and pasting your entire long and pointless thread (that's on this spoilers section) on here. We got a troll, folks.

I understand the disappointments, but you're seriously underestimating the effort it takes to make a video game. Go try making a Batman video game with the quality that you expect, before judging it yourself.
You are the product of everything you fear: violence, darkness, helplessness. All that remains is for you to watch, as I drag your beloved Gotham into oblivion. -Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Knight
jifw52

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 20th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Back when the game was first announced it was said that rioters would loot stores and as you progressed along Riddler's campaign he would become more frustrated and show signs of it by having his short become progressively more torn and his hair more and more messy. Neither of these were featured in the final game. I think this is meant to be an image to showed part of Riddler's path down to super insanity.

Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby E.Nigma Show » Jul 20th, 2015, 4:38 pm

jifw52 wrote:
rocksteadyinformant wrote:

Thanks for wasting a post by copy and pasting your entire long and pointless thread (that's on this spoilers section) on here. We got a troll, folks.

I understand the disappointments, but you're seriously underestimating the effort it takes to make a video game. Go try making a Batman video game with the quality that you expect, before judging it yourself.

Thank god his account is banned finally. I leave him with these remarks....

"Mr. rocksteadyinformant, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
? ? ? RiDdLe mE tHiS ? ? ?
E.Nigma Show

Favourite Villain: Riddler

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE