Everyone gets kidnapped or taken as hostage

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Everyone gets kidnapped or taken as hostage

Postby TheSh0emaker » Jul 9th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Isn't it funny how almost every important character in AK gets in this situation? So first, Barbara gets kidnapped by the Arkham Knight. Nightwing becomes the hostage of Penguin, so you have to save him. Robin gets a beating from Harley Quinn, then Scarecrow takes him. And the best of all is, Gordon is kidnapped TWICE. In one night! It seems Alfred was pretty lucky.
TheSh0emaker

Re: Everyone gets kidnapped or taken as hostage

Postby Prisoner 4011 » Jul 9th, 2015, 1:53 pm

This is what happens when quality writing doesn't happen. Paul Dini had his shit figured out.

What can you do, at least the game-play is awesome!

Prisoner 4011

Postby emperorob17 » Jul 9th, 2015, 2:49 pm

TheSh0emaker wrote:Isn't it funny how almost every important character in AK gets in this situation? So first, Barbara gets kidnapped by the Arkham Knight. Nightwing becomes the hostage of Penguin, so you have to save him. Robin gets a beating from Harley Quinn, then Scarecrow takes him. And the best of all is, Gordon is kidnapped TWICE. In one night! It seems Alfred was pretty lucky.

Don't forget Catwoman by Riddler as well :catwoman2:

But yeah it is quite funny how they all get captured, though I did really enjoy the story and it fits the theme of 'all who follow you' trailer
emperorob17

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 9th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Gordon was kidnapped twice? I only recollect him being taken once. I'm not overly worried by having his allies put in harms way. Sure they could've shown that Batman can't protect all of his allies without actually having them all nabbed but I still think that it was fine.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby AW8 » Jul 9th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Gordon was kidnapped twice? I only recollect him being taken once.

Gordon is held captive by the Arkham Knight militia before you rescue him. He is then taken hostage a second time, by Scarecrow.

TheSh0emaker wrote:Nightwing becomes the hostage of Penguin

And before that, he gets himself captured by Penguin's thugs as well. The circus clown gets himself kidnapped twice, every time Batman looks away.

Oh, and Lucius becomes the hostage of Hush.

They really made Batman and his allies seem incompenent in this game. Seriously, every goddamn ally gets taken hostage at some point. And Batman has Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight within his reach several times, only to let them slip through his fingers again and again in displays of cutscene incompetence.
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 9th, 2015, 4:02 pm

AW8 wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Gordon was kidnapped twice? I only recollect him being taken once.

Gordon is held captive by the Arkham Knight militia before you rescue him. He is then taken hostage a second time, by Scarecrow.

Oh right I remember now. Heh.

AW8 wrote:

And before that, he gets himself captured by Penguin's thugs as well. The circus clown gets himself kidnapped twice, every time Batman looks away.

Not to mention that Bruce himself was held down momentarily by the Penguin up until the point that Nightwing arrived.

Still, for me I didn't really realize that all of the allies were held hostage or taken captive at one point or another. It's not something I noticed when immersing myself in the game. Is it poor writing? Sure but it doesn't bother me too much in this instance.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby TheSh0emaker » Jul 9th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Now that I think of it, guess who's the hostage in the 'A matter of family' DLC :oldyella:

AW8 wrote:

I loved playing as Nightwing, but it's no wonder Batman didn't want his "help" :D
TheSh0emaker

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Jul 10th, 2015, 4:57 am

TheSh0emaker wrote:Isn't it funny how almost every important character in AK gets in this situation? So first, Barbara gets kidnapped by the Arkham Knight. Nightwing becomes the hostage of Penguin, so you have to save him. Robin gets a beating from Harley Quinn, then Scarecrow takes him. And the best of all is, Gordon is kidnapped TWICE. In one night! It seems Alfred was pretty lucky.

You forgot to mention Lucius gets captured by Hush & Catwoman by riddler

I loved the story & this was made on purpose so Batman would feel guilty

"You will bring death to all who follow you"
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby cloakandcowl » Jul 10th, 2015, 9:39 am

It's almost like the game was trying to make some sort of point about how Batman's actions putting the people he cares about in danger might be something he'd be concerned about... to the point of being afraid of... or, dare I say... 'fear'ful?

cloakandcowl

Postby Red leader » Jul 10th, 2015, 10:04 am

cloakandcowl wrote:It's almost like the game was trying to make some sort of point about how Batman's actions putting the people he cares about in danger might be something he'd be concerned about... to the point of being afraid of... or, dare I say... 'fear'ful?

They really should have let oracle and maybe 1 or 2 other characters die. Yes his friends get put in harms-way but all of them end up okay by the end even when he thinks they are dead.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Jul 10th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Red leader wrote:
cloakandcowl wrote:It's almost like the game was trying to make some sort of point about how Batman's actions putting the people he cares about in danger might be something he'd be concerned about... to the point of being afraid of... or, dare I say... 'fear'ful?

They really should have let oracle and maybe 1 or 2 other characters die. Yes his friends get put in harms-way but all of them end up okay by the end even when he thinks they are dead.

Yeah RS didnt have the guts to kill an important ally
Barbara should have been kept dead
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby Wyrewho » Jul 10th, 2015, 8:56 pm

I think this is all partly to do with the fact that the plan of AK and Scarecrow was to occupy Gotham, find a means to gas Gotham, and kill/bring suffering to Batman's allies. And the Knight had his end of the deal satisfied pretty quickly, giving him lots of time to focus on the allies.
Wyrewho

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Jul 11th, 2015, 5:27 am

They even take a crack at themselves for it.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby cloakandcowl » Jul 13th, 2015, 9:39 am

I just don't get how the story would be "better" if any of these characters would die.

I feel like the impacts of Jason's and Barbara's apparent deaths were very poignantly explored. We saw everybody grieving appropriately. Narratively we got all we could get out of those developments with the bonus of getting them back at the end as well.
cloakandcowl

Postby ClownprinceOfCrime » Jul 13th, 2015, 1:35 pm

PriestlyBlock67 wrote:
Red leader wrote:

Yeah RS didnt have the guts to kill an important ally
Barbara should have been kept dead

So suddenly it's a bad thing that none of them was killed? I remember quite well how almost everyone here was whining about the possibility that RS might kill important characters just for the sake of it (which is exactly what you're asking for in these two posts) but if they don't kill these characters it is just equally bad. There'll always be some people who can't be satisfied and that's completely okay. But apparently there are just as many people who simply don't want to be satisfied. :roll:
ClownprinceOfCrime

Favourite Villain: Joker; TwoFace

Next

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE