Things you want in the next Arkham game

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: Things you want in the next Arkham game

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 12th, 2016, 10:23 am

Xranf wrote:Not rocksteady (all wbm) and not paul cocker (which wrote the "story" of arkham knight).

Paul Cocker? I don't know who he is but Paul Crocker has no writing credit for Arkham Knight. Story by Sefton Hill & Ian Ball and written by Martin Lancaster.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby DatBat » Jan 12th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Xranf wrote:Not rocksteady (all wbm) and not paul cocker (which wrote the "story" of arkham knight).

Spoilered for its length and rant-like nature. It's a lot of angry rambling.
Spoiler: show
First off, as HaHaHa said, Paul Crocker did not write Knight.
Also, I'd not be apposed to Rocksteady doing the next one, as long as the reveal itself isn't just some cinematic trailer that makes the game look way better. They could do one, but I hate when games are revealed without any real in-game footage. Arkham Knight's cinematic was really cool and showed all the villains working together and actually made the Batmobile look pretty cool. The gameplay footage was all from like two missions though and was 99.9% Batmobile and 0.01% Fear Takedowns with nothing else, so it was still garbage marketing. I theorize, after months of thinking about it, that Rocksteady thought they really were making a game we would like. I don't want to make any excuses for them because IMO the game was a total trainwreck. We'd all asked for the Batmobile, and honestly, for a game based on combat mostly, there could have been worse ways it could have been done. Sure, the Tankmobile sucked ass, but it could have been worse. Again, not saying that I like the Batmobile in Knight whatsoever. I'd have been fine with enemy vehicles and a weaponized Batmobile, but the fact that you switch from fast-slim-weak-tank mode to slow-fat-overpowered-tank mode so quickly was terrible. It wasn't a Batmobile at all. It's the same problem I had with the Nolan Tumbler (but at least those movies were always grounded in realism, Arkham has been fastastical as all hell but for some reason they gave Batman a militarized death machine) and now the BvS Batmobile (which, from what we've heard, the new DCEU will not be realistic, with magical character like Enchantress). They tried to make it marketable to non-hardcore fans. It worked, the game had commercials playing and posters hanging in every game store, action figures and replica batarangs for sale in Gamestop, a replical Bat tank at E3, etc. It didn't work, as Knight sold considerably less than City (according to VGChartz.com), but that's what they tried for. I'm rambling, and I'll get back to my point.
I'd have no problem with RS making the game if they could prove themselves at the reveal. I always say I hate the pre-order trend in gaming, but I still pre-order anyways. "It's ridiculous I have to pay months in advance for a game I've seen no gameplay of just to get this DLC! Gaming is going down the drain! I'd never do something like that" *pre-orders most expensive version of game*
If the reveal of the game was some killer gameplay (and maybe a cinematic, as story is just as important in these games), I'd give RS a second chance. They're not the most experienced developer. They made some riot defense shooter years ago, but aside from that they've only made three games, all Arkham. Think of how many bad games it took for people to give up on Assassin's Creed (which I have new hope for btw. Unity sucked, but I picked up Syndicate Gold Edition for the price of the base game on a sale and it's my second favorite AC game, sucks that the sales were so low after Unity's shitstorm). A lot of people hated the first AC, people hated Revelations (I love it though), people hated AC3, people despised Unity, and then they gave up. FOUR games that were questionable in quality. That's how many games RS has made all together. I've never played their first, but their second and third are among the best video games ever, if they weren't this site wouldn't exist. Knight sucked. It really did. But Origins did too (at launch at least), and so many people on here love WBM and want them to do the next one. Rocksteady is much more experienced than WBM, so Knight is less excusable than Origins, but they're still not a pedigree developer. Every good franchise has a couple bad eggs. Ask any Final Fantasy fan. Or any Pokemon fan. Or any (insert any long running franchise here) fan. I don't want to give up on Arkham because of this game. For a while I had. But I love Arkham Asylum, I love Arkham City, I love the select few fun parts of Arkham Knight. I'm willing to give RS one more chance. But honestly, the developer doesn't really matter. A developer is just someone making a game. They might be skilled once, but nobody can perfect the craft of game design. Think about Gearbox. They made the Borderlands games, a critically acclaimed mega-franchise that got it's own Telltale spinoff, aside many huge brands such as The Walking Dead, Game Of Thrones, and even the biggest, in terms of popularity, video game of all time, Minecraft (which is not the best game of all time by far, although it is seen that way by many, it's mediocre at best and only really fun anymore with friends or a computer that can download mods without murdering itself, two things I don't have). Gearbox also made two of the games that land on almost every "Worst Video Games" list, right by Atari ET. They made, get this, Duke Nukem Forever AND Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's not that they've gotten better over time, these were BOTH released after the Borderlands series had started. They're known for making some of the best (critically seen) games of all time, and the absolute shittiest games (universally seen) of all time. Other games that everybody seems to love? Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Made by the same developer as Knight. If RS messes up Arkham again, I admit I will very likely never give them another chance, possibly out of spite alone, but I'm willing to at least give them one more chance. I love the Batman Beyond setting, and I think they could maybe get it right.

Although my dream Arkham game would be a remaster of Asylum with new content and the cut content like the Mad Hatter maze. The enclosed environment and sense of terror looming of Asylum has never been recreated in a way as good as Asylum. It was almost Metroid-vania esque in the sense of one big area with other areas to explore, take down bosses, and get ways into other areas to finally get to the final boss. Arkham Origins Blackgate was full on metroidvania, but let's not talk about that game. The dialogue alone made me quit in less than an hour. When we want to complain about Origins or Knight, let's just be glad they aren't Blackgate.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby Xranf » Jan 12th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Paul cocker is the (fictionary) brother of paul crocker who wrote (along with sefton bald hill) that shit of "story" in arkham knight. Was joking...
Xranf

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 12th, 2016, 5:58 pm

I would give Rocksteady another chance with Batman but I wouldn't pre-order nor would I buy the season pass. They've heard from the people and I think the outcry was loud enough that they know where fans really become divided. It's a shame that Knight is so polarizing in quality because it does some amazing things but equally shit things also. A good story & character development, no Bat-tank, boss battles and more linear story interiors.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby DatBat » Jan 12th, 2016, 7:10 pm

HaHaHa wrote:I would give Rocksteady another chance with Batman but I wouldn't pre-order nor would I buy the season pass. They've heard from the people and I think the outcry was loud enough that they know where fans really become divided. It's a shame that Knight is so polarizing in quality because it does some amazing things but equally shit things also. A good story & character development, no Bat-tank, boss battles and more linear story interiors.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm pretty much done with pre-ordering. The only time I do it anymore is through the Xbox Digital Store so I can have it pre-installed on the Midnight Release. The bullshit pre-order bonuses are never any good, and especially not worth putting money down so long before the game comes out. I love Gamestop because they sell video games and my local one has a stand with about every recent Pop! Vinyl, even some of the TFA ones that are really hard to come by in any store. But I also hate Gamestop because if you go in to buy a game and you get a New copy of it, they'll pester the hell out of you to buy a Pre-Owned copy and if you deny enough they'll say "whatever" in their own way and make you look like an idiot and everybody in the store looks at you. Luckily I've been going to the local Gamestops so I know a lot of the employees so most of them don't do that to me anymore.
Terrible Gamestop Experience:
One time though, I went to buy a game like a week after it came out and there was one pre-owned copy but the game was so recently out that the New copies still had the Day One/Pre-order DLC so I wanted to buy it new. It was the first time a Gamestop employee pestered me like this, but not the last. "Well we've got it in pre-owned for five dollars less." "Well I want to get it new, I just like getting new things." "Well we have a Guarantee and you can bring any Pre-Owned game back within 30 days if it doesn't work to get a refund or another copy." "I'd rather get it new because I live an hour away from this store." (at the time I didn't live in this city, but it was the closest one with actual shopping) "Yeah, well, it's at a discount and it will give you points on your PowerUp Rewards card, which by the way expires in a month."(somehow this thing always expires in "a month". I only pay for it to get the Game Informer digital mags) "I'd rather just get it new." "It's better to get it Pre-Owned, man." (at this point, my dad, who brought me to the store, tells the guy to just let me buy the one I want) "No man, I'm trying to help him out, but whatever, he can waste his money." "No- whatever, I'll get it Pre-Owned." (I just wanted to get out of there.)

Also, I can't think of a specific time to write out for this one, but this one is more fitting to what we were talking about, they always shove pre-orders in your face. Oh, wait! I thought of one.

Another Terrible Gamestop Experience:
*I'm buying Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Trilogy as I've just gotten into the series*
"Alright, here's your total. Any games coming up you want to pre-order?"
"No, I'm pretty low on money and nothing has really caught my eye of being worth $60."
"Oh, well pre-ordering is only 5 dollars."
*my brother proceeds to pre-order a WWE game*
"It's not only five dollars, I'd still need to come up with fifty five dollars for the rest when the game comes out."
"It's really worth it because you get a lot of cool DLC you can't get without pre-ordering."
"I'm really fine."
"You'd regret not getting some of these pre-order bonuses:"
*proceeds to read me every version of every game coming out on every console for the next eight billion years*
"No, I'm fine, thank you."
"Alright man, whatever, next time you come there might be something you want to preorder.

I don't even get why Gamestop tries to force you to pre-order. They can't make much of a profit off of it. They sell the game for $60. I doubt they get the game from the publisher for any less than, say, $45 a copy. (Joe_Chill if you read this you might be able to explain) So, they're pushing like crazy to make a $15 profit, IF THEY'RE LUCKY. They usually only encourage you to put the $5 deposit, and most people never pay the rest of it off. I have $5 deposits on so many games from when they could fool me. I looked on my Gamestop website account and saw them. I'd go and get my money but they're from my old old town that's well over an hour away. I know why Gamestop pushes the Pre-Owned front so much, because it's how they make all their money. I know because I'm one of the suckers that trades games in there. They pay you very little for what you're giving them, and then sell it at usually around double or over what they pay you. The PowerUp card usually pushes the trades a little over half of what they'll sell it for. Just two days ago I traded in Just Cause 3, Rare Replay, and a perfectly fine Xbox Wireless Controller because I got a new one with a headphone jack (typing this made me realize I traded in an older model, so maybe that's why I got so little). I got just under enough for a full-priced Xbox One game and a heavily discounted Game Of Thrones Ramsay Bolton Gamestop Exclusive Pop! Vinyl, my dad had to cover like a quarter. Rare Replay was only $30 when it came out and it's been out for a while, but Just Cause 3 came out last month and is still sold for like $50. They sell pre-owned controllers for like $50-60.

All of this had nothing to with Arkham, just pre-orders and video game marketing in general. Oh well. I rant a lot and it usually gets very off-topic and angry about things completely unrelated. That's how my mind works.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby gwoodsii » Jan 12th, 2016, 11:18 pm

I think the thing I most want in the next Arkham Game is more customization options in the challenges.

Would love to be able to create scenarios in the predator maps. Things you could adjust

-Types of Bad Guys
-Gadget Loadout(Even so far as Batman being able to use certain gadgets from the baddies and vice versa)
-Number of enemies
-Whether or not there is a boss character, would be awesome to have a fight against Freeze with only guys walking around to boot.
-Challenge objectives

They could do this and then we could challenge our friends.
-
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Previous

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE