AK: characters they dun goofed

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

AK: characters they dun goofed

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Oct 18th, 2015, 4:58 am

Now here's where we talk about the characters RS did dirty in Arkham Knight. Sometimes they hit the bullseye, and sometimes they miss the mark.

1. Hush. WHAT THE POW IS THIS. They take one of the strongest, most atmospheric side missions/cliffhangers and turn him into a glorified bank robber. WHAT. They had a character from one of the best Batman comic arcs in the last twenty years and they did THIS? All the hype, all the speculation, all the possibilities. And they give us a cutscene. A single cutscene.

2. Deathstroke. Dis tew much. Why was he even here? They give some lame explanation as to why he shows up after the game freaking ends. They bomb his on point characterization from Arkham Origins. They give him the most out of character, cringeworthy "boss battles" of the series. And then he just gives up and walks with dignity into GCPD. Deathstroke could have killed all those cops with his eyes closed. They turned him from the cold, level headed assassin-for-hire to a whiny, obsessive henchmen. He literally said in Arkham Origins that he didn't take his ass whooping by Batman personally. And that he would leave him unless he was paid to do otherwise. But RS is like LOL NAH JK and now he's obsessed with Batman and defeating him with a tank because BATMOBILE. Ugh.

3. Harley Quinn. So much potential. After her lover's death and her roughshod attempt at revenge, Harley SHOULD HAVE played it smart. Planned. Become more dangerous. More cunning without the Joker domineering her entire life. But no. They reverted her back to Arkham Asylum. An airhead who puts up no fight and ends up crying in a cell. It's literally like HQR never even happened. They even changed her hair color back. They completely downgraded Harley and gave her a fifteen minute segment that had nothing to do with the main story.

4. Tim Drake. Ugh. In the comics, Tim is a sullen, thoughtful detective. Like a mini Bruce. He's not a wise cracking, happy go lucky brawler with a crush on Batgirl (see Dick Grayson). I wish he died from that gunshot at the end.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Re: AK: characters they dun goofed

Postby pukipuki » Oct 18th, 2015, 7:20 am

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:Now here's where we talk about the characters RS did dirty in Arkham Knight. Sometimes they hit the bullseye, and sometimes they miss the mark.

1. Hush. WHAT THE POW IS THIS. They take one of the strongest, most atmospheric side missions/cliffhangers and turn him into a glorified bank robber. WHAT. They had a character from one of the best Batman comic arcs in the last twenty years and they did THIS? All the hype, all the speculation, all the possibilities. And they give us a cutscene. A single cutscene.

2. Deathstroke. Dis tew much. Why was he even here? They give some lame explanation as to why he shows up after the game freaking ends. They bomb his on point characterization from Arkham Origins. They give him the most out of character, cringeworthy "boss battles" of the series. And then he just gives up and walks with dignity into GCPD. Deathstroke could have killed all those cops with his eyes closed. They turned him from the cold, level headed assassin-for-hire to a whiny, obsessive henchmen. He literally said in Arkham Origins that he didn't take his ass whooping by Batman personally. And that he would leave him unless he was paid to do otherwise. But RS is like LOL NAH JK and now he's obsessed with Batman and defeating him with a tank because BATMOBILE. Ugh.

3. Harley Quinn. So much potential. After her lover's death and her roughshod attempt at revenge, Harley SHOULD HAVE played it smart. Planned. Become more dangerous. More cunning without the Joker domineering her entire life. But no. They reverted her back to Arkham Asylum. An airhead who puts up no fight and ends up crying in a cell. It's literally like HQR never even happened. They even changed her hair color back. They completely downgraded Harley and gave her a fifteen minute segment that had nothing to do with the main story.

4. Tim Drake. Ugh. In the comics, Tim is a sullen, thoughtful detective. Like a mini Bruce. He's not a wise cracking, happy go lucky brawler with a crush on Batgirl (see Dick Grayson). I wish he died from that gunshot at the end.

When I saw deathstroke battle tank thingy on youtube.... I was so frustrated, I stopped playing the game. I stopped trying to get the riddler trophies and trying to 100% the game to unlock the knightfall protocol and just saw it on youtube. (Though game breaking bugs were also factors)
"I'm Batman"- Batman
pukipuki

Favourite Villain: TWO-FACE
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long hallowing

Postby JordanT4021 » Oct 18th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Harley Quinn is probably the biggest injustice in the series. Constantly treated as a dumb blonde with no real value to the story. Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC was a nice change showing her as the main villain who carefully orchestrated Batman's capture and attempted to kill him which many other villains wouldn't have even come close to. Its sad that they concluded her Arkham story the way they did. With Joker out of the picture, she should have become a major power house in Gotham.

Two-Face and Black Mask weren't done incredibly well. They were constantly being second bested by other people whether its Catwoman or Joker. They were weak and I struggle to see how they were ever a threat to Gotham.

The Whole of the GCPD was done pretty badly. A police force who can't even protect themselves never mind an entire city. Origins was a high point but the majority of cops here were corrupt. Cops in AC and AK were constantly taken hostage and let Batman do all the work. Its safe to say Gotham has an over reliance on Batman if these are the people employed to help protect the city.

I also think they struggled with how to treat Deadshot. His presence is sorely missed except for two side missions in AO and AC which is disappointing
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Red leader » Oct 20th, 2015, 6:50 pm

1. Bruce.
His whole character arc amounts to nothing by the end since he didnt learn his lesson and they disregard the Bruce part of the equation.

2. Oracle.
She is barley in the game and is kidnapped to often, plus the tim/babs relationship was dumb.

3. Tim
He is my all time favorite fictional character, i perfer him to batman and this games take made me so pissed. He is Dick thats it. He has the whole "your not the boss of me" thing that Dick and Jason have.

4. Deathstroke.
He is just a tank fight and they right him like he has no honor.

5. The gcpd
They treat them like they are dependent on batman and they even say that they work for him. It is seriously my biggest problem with the game at this point.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby Benji » Oct 20th, 2015, 6:51 pm

DEATHSTROKE DEATHSTROKE DEATHSTROKE DEATHSTROKE

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby AW8 » Oct 20th, 2015, 9:12 pm

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:1. Hush. WHAT THE POW IS THIS. They take one of the strongest, most atmospheric side missions/cliffhangers and turn him into a glorified bank robber. WHAT. They had a character from one of the best Batman comic arcs in the last twenty years and they did THIS? All the hype, all the speculation, all the possibilities. And they give us a cutscene. A single cutscene.

This so much. It's like they didn't want to do Hush and only kept him in the game because Dini set him up in City.

Not only is the sidemission criminally short, not only does the gameplay consist of pressing a button, but Hush's plan is so dumb. All that planning and surgery in Arkham City, only for him to do nothing for 6 months and then walk up to Lucius Fox and take him hostage. Wow.

All this sidemission has going for it is the part where we unknowingly play as the villain, thinking it's a flashback (at least that's my assumption of what they were going for), which probably fools players not familiar with Hush or having his AC side mission fresh in their memory. And then bam, what a twist, that's not Bruce Wayne. That part was good, I give them that. But it's just a little twist with no real content around it.

Paul Dini obviously set the character up for something far grander than this. Since he doesn't even know yet that Bruce is Batman in Arkham City, I assume his role in a sequel would be pretty large if he needed time to find out Batman's secret identity.

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:2. Deathstroke. Dis tew much. Why was he even here? They give some lame explanation as to why he shows up after the game freaking ends. They bomb his on point characterization from Arkham Origins. They give him the most out of character, cringeworthy "boss battles" of the series. And then he just gives up and walks with dignity into GCPD. Deathstroke could have killed all those cops with his eyes closed. They turned him from the cold, level headed assassin-for-hire to a whiny, obsessive henchmen. He literally said in Arkham Origins that he didn't take his ass whooping by Batman personally. And that he would leave him unless he was paid to do otherwise. But RS is like LOL NAH JK and now he's obsessed with Batman and defeating him with a tank because BATMOBILE. Ugh.

I loved Deathstroke in Arkham Origins. This honorable professional was one of my favorite parts of the game, even though he's just an early boss. The later encounter in Blackgate was so good, with Slade not having a grudge against Batman.

I was filled with joy when he appeared in Arkham Knight. Good ol' Slade has taken command of the militia! And then I play through the militia side missions and hear his obsessive whining, which leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I didn't like that characterization at all.
And then I get to face Deathstroke in combat and... it's a tank battle. Sigh. But! When the battle is over, he jumps out of his tank! IT'S ON NOW!! ...And Batman takes him down with one punch in a cutscene. Cue driving to GCPD while Slade is threatening you worse than Penguin.

I'm sorry Rocksteady, but Deathstroke in Arkham Knight was pretty much garbage. :oldyella:
Just as Black Mask was used disrespectfully in Arkham Origins and was only picked to conceal Joker, Deathstroke was only picked in Arkham Knight to explain why the militia is still in Gotham after Jason rabbits - Slade took the pay in advance and is honor-bound to complete the contract. I would have been fine with that part if he actually had a good characterization and gameplay element in the game.

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:3. Harley Quinn. So much potential. After her lover's death and her roughshod attempt at revenge, Harley SHOULD HAVE played it smart. Planned. Become more dangerous. More cunning without the Joker domineering her entire life. But no. They reverted her back to Arkham Asylum. An airhead who puts up no fight and ends up crying in a cell. It's literally like HQR never even happened. They even changed her hair color back. They completely downgraded Harley and gave her a fifteen minute segment that had nothing to do with the main story.

The whole "Joker's blood turns you into the Joker" is just silly, completely out of nowhere and is contradictory to Arkham City. Harley is just an unfortunate casualty of that plot. I agree that she should have planned, she should have waited, she should have striked against Batman for vengeance. Harley as a villain doesn't work without Joker. But with Joker's death still fresh in her memory, she could have rallied Joker's old gang for one last bang. Hostages, explosions, carnage for the hell of it, baiting Batman to stop them.

I guess that would be too close to what already happened in Harley Quinn's Revenge but... I think I'd prefer repetition over Harley freeing Joker-zombie-things.

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:4. Tim Drake. Ugh. In the comics, Tim is a sullen, thoughtful detective. Like a mini Bruce. He's not a wise cracking, happy go lucky brawler with a crush on Batgirl (see Dick Grayson). I wish he died from that gunshot at the end.

I thought Tim was OK in Arkham Knight. He works in the lab to cure people. He helps Batman take down the Jokers. I can believe that this is Tim Drake.

Yes, his haircut is stupid. Yes, him hooking up with Barbara is jarring if you've read the comics. But that's small stuff.
My major problem with Robin is Batman's treatment of him. Batman doesn't trust him to help the entire game. This is Robin, for God's sake! The Dynamic Duo, Batman! Robin could have - should have - been involved in more dual-play segments throughout the game. Yes, the game should be Batman-only for the large majority. But that doesn't mean Robin couldn't come help in Stagg Airships/Two-Face's bank robberies/Arkham Knight HQ/whatever.
The worst part is obviously how Batman locks him up in a place that has been discovered and penetrated by the bad guys. He even keeps him there after Oracle has been found and Jason has been revealed to be alive! There's absolute zero reason to keep the boy locked up anymore, Batman! Unless you're subconsciously on Scarecrow's side and want to serve him up on a silver plate.

I'd like to end my post with a character Rocksteady did great in Arkham Knight: Professor Pyg. :pyg:

He was phenomenal. He chains up the failed Dollotrons all over Gotham, leading the World's Greatest Detective to track him down. Then we meet him singing along to opera music as he's perfecting humans, turning them into something perfect. The guy doesn't mean any harm, in his twisted worldview he's just improving people and making the world a better place. The scanning of bodies was too formulaic, but other than that his sidequest was good. The fight against his Dollotrons was great.
I like Pyg in the comics, and I liked his portrayal in Arkham Knight. Well done.
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby Arkham Lunatic » Nov 12th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Basically every character besides The Joker was stupid as POW. Rocksteady can't write. At least not Batman.
Arkham Lunatic

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby johnsyggel » Nov 12th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Hush.All this build-up,the murders,the surgery to look like Wayne,all the hype,for what?What was his grand plan?To infiltrate Wayne Enterprises?They could have done an entire game with him as the main villain,but instead...
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Jack out of Box » Nov 13th, 2015, 11:04 pm

johnsyggel wrote:Hush.All this build-up,the murders,the surgery to look like Wayne,all the hype,for what?What was his grand plan?To infiltrate Wayne Enterprises?They could have done an entire game with him as the main villain,but instead...

lol no kidding. the guy who has the cunning and knowledge to reconstruct his entire face is just gonna waltz into Bruce's office and try different passwords?
Jack out of Box

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE