SOI Mission length

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Re: SOI Mission length

Postby JordanT4021 » Dec 22nd, 2015, 2:06 am

legion wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:
legion wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:I just watched a walk through of the Mad Hatter's mission and I'm wondering why I ever got hyped for this. Repetitive gameplay yet again, and not offering anything new. Although I have to admit the story book is pretty cool. It's a bit of a waste when you have Batman villains called White Rabbit and Cheshire yet you won't use them and make the mission as boring as possible. I seriously hope the others are an improvement.

Freeze and Ra's definitely are. Croc is better than Hatter's by a bit. At least for me.

Any sign of Shiva?? And is Freeze's simply a remake of his City arc?

In order
No, but we do get another prominent LOA member besides Ra's and its awesome. And Mr. Freeze's story arc comes to a bittersweet close in his mission, which almost made me teary eyed. He and Batman do not fight against each other at all, there is a tank battle against the militia but the payoff at the end is worth it.

Sounds interesting. I think I can figure out what happens with Freeze. There isn't much you can do with him.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Mani-Man » Dec 22nd, 2015, 11:49 am

So far i watched the Killer Croc mission...and it was really good imo.

The Design, dialogue and overall story of the mission is nice.
It has a good feeling to it, just by looking at it.
20 minutes are okay for a side mission, but it could have been streched out with you going through the ship, looking for clues etc more.
That the boss fight with croc is like the albert king one, is actually quite nice and shows that croc is not that easy to take down.
Much better then in origins imo.
I liked the albert king boss fight, so i have no problem with it.

Looking at the overall side missions, crocs is in second or third place right now for me.
It was really good and im looking forward to play it myself.
Mani-Man

Postby Jack out of Box » Dec 22nd, 2015, 11:40 pm

love it or hate it, I would trade all the arkham episodes and race tracks for more villains in the most wanted missions
Jack out of Box

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Harvey Bullock » Dec 22nd, 2015, 11:49 pm

Writing up my thoughts now for an eventual article.

Pros:

- The brief two minutes of claustrophobia harkening back to AA in Croc's mission
- Nightwing
- Freeze and Nora
- The Mad Hatter's storybook
- Nyssa and certain elements of shadow war
- Snow + Driving through the ice to get to Freeze
- They didn't offer a regressive character arc for Victor

Cons:

- The writing for Batman is still godawful
- Most of the length comes from travelling and backtracking
- Predator encounters are only increased in difficulty because of the amount of enemies on screen, not through variety or challenge
- Croc's fight was a rehash of King's
- The assisted dying metaphor was really obvious and completely lacked nuance
- Still trying to say that Bruce and Talia had chemistry
- The DNA tracking for Shadow War was ridiculous
- Finale of Freeze's mission ruined by a monotonous drone battle
- Hatter's bomb disposals were ridiculous
- Missions feel out of place in the main game

Overall I'd give the DLC a 6/10 solely for its narrative elements (that aren't even executed all that well). Arkham needs a reboot.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Red leader » Dec 23rd, 2015, 2:28 am

Harvey Bullock wrote:Writing up my thoughts now for an eventual article.

Pros:

- The brief two minutes of claustrophobia harkening back to AA in Croc's mission
- Nightwing
- Freeze and Nora
- The Mad Hatter's storybook
- Nyssa and certain elements of shadow war
- Snow + Driving through the ice to get to Freeze
- They didn't offer a regressive character arc for Victor

Cons:

- The writing for Batman is still godawful
- Most of the length comes from travelling and backtracking
- Predator encounters are only increased in difficulty because of the amount of enemies on screen, not through variety or challenge
- Croc's fight was a rehash of King's
- The assisted dying metaphor was really obvious and completely lacked nuance
- Still trying to say that Bruce and Talia had chemistry
- The DNA tracking for Shadow War was ridiculous
- Finale of Freeze's mission ruined by a monotonous drone battle
- Hatter's bomb disposals were ridiculous
- Missions feel out of place in the main game

Overall I'd give the DLC a 6/10 solely for its narrative elements (that aren't even executed all that well). Arkham needs a reboot.

I agree. I love the world of arkham but the continuity is messy and the characters are ruined by AK if not AC. I want them to have only AO and AA in continuity and maybe AC. From there they can have an ongoing comic and a game series set at several points in the timeline.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Dec 23rd, 2015, 2:57 am

SOI WAS AMAZING

Its as good and slightly longer than cold cold hearth
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby ADarkHunter » Dec 23rd, 2015, 8:20 am

I enjoyed SOI. I did. While I think that there were a few things that could've been done differently, I thought that it was good. If I were to rank the missions, I'd go with:

#4) Mr. Freeze:

While I enjoyed the story, the gameplay was repetitive. If they had added some new elements to predator, or done something else with the Batmobile, I would've enjoyed the gameplay more and this would've been higher on the list. The environment of the ship was designed very well, though, as was the areas of Gotham that end up frozen. I also enjoyed driving though all of the ice and snow, and after the mission, snow covers the ground and falls from the sky which was a nice touch...although, my game may be glitched because the snow never went away...it's still there...even after quitting the game and returning...

#3) Mad Hatter:

The storybook was cool, from the set pieces, to the enemy skins from AA and AC, to grappling onto the page as it turns. The whole thing was great to look at and had a nostalgic feel. The cop car bits were alright, nothing special, except for what I assume was a "new gameplay feature" in the form of a new hacking minigame. I also enjoyed the little tape recording between Cash and Hatter left on the desk in the 2nd Interrogation Room. XP

#2) Killer Croc:

Loved the environment and the creepy feel of the opening bit. Then, of course, Nightwing dual play and boss battle with Croc was great! Story was kinda generic and didn't actually fit into the main game (how does Batman know Croc is mutated in the Joker sequence if Croc didn't mutate until after he was captured?), but the overall gameplay and atmosphere is what won it 2nd place on my list.

#1) Ra's al Ghul:

This. Story. Was. Amazing. This was my favorite because it felt like there was actually a war going on. It gave you bits of story that allowed you to infer what was going on behind the scenes. The set pieces and bodies littered about contributed to that as well. The gameplay was solid, a nice mix of detective, combat, and Batmobile gameplay. I wish we had gotten more side missions like this in the main game. I also enjoyed the new character they added as well as the choice you have to make at the end. I can't wait to replay this mission and select the other ending! Also, the character design for everyone was fantastic!

All in all, I really enjoyed the SOI. Was there room for improvement? Sure. Was I upset that we didn't get Black Mask or Prometheus? Yeah, a little. But, I thought it was solid DLC, nonetheless. And, to be honest, I hope they surprise us with another SOI with new villains after the January DLC. Do I think that's going to happen? No. Not at all. But I can dream! XD
Remember the Arkham Asylum forums? Good times, right?
ADarkHunter

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn,RedHood
Favourite Graphic Novel: Night Cries/Joker

Postby Mani-Man » Dec 23rd, 2015, 10:41 am

Overall the SOI is a good end to the whole dlc "season".

The design of every new area, villian, character is so good.
It feels very "arkham" like and has a dark tone that fits into the game.
This is where Rocksteady without a doubt, is one of the best developer.
Their character and level design is just fantastic.

The dialogue is mostly good.
Its a good script for every story.
But...Batman is not good written imo.
Most of his lines are: Where is this, where is that, where is this character, TELL ME.
Worlds greatest detective right? :D
They could have done a better job on his writing, but okay.

The voice acting was fantastic.
Every character sounds how they should be, kevin conroy masks batmans bad lines good.

The DLC episodes lack a bit more dramatic flair, some more cutscenes, stronger emotional aspect especially for the endings of the storys.
They could have streched the storys out a bit, added some more elements to it...but for what they are, it is a good dlc.
Mani-Man

Postby Remote Claw » Dec 23rd, 2015, 11:51 am

The Season of Infamy was alright. Not bad by any means, but not great either.

Best to worst:

Ra's al Ghul had the best mission by far. The only one I enjoyed from beginning to end. I could feel tension this conflict brought. The power between the Loyalists and Rebels hangs in the balance. One side threatens Gotham, the other promises to leave for good. This alone had potential to be a great sequel to Arkham City. Nyssa was a pleasant surprise. She actually fills that emptiness left by Talia's absence.

Mad Hatter was dull at first, then there was that part with the book. That part was satisfying.

Mr. Freeze's mission had some very nice emotional moments. However, I didn't care for it that much. Nora waking up should've been an eye opener, but it felt very flat. The whole thing just felt like an abrupt ending to Victor and Nora's story.

Killer Croc, a villain I was looking forward to since Asylum. This mission started with some promising suspense. Hearing Nightwing's voice at the beginning should have been red flag though. As soon as he shows up, that suspense is gone. The mission takes a complete change in tone. Finally, the game turns Croc into a generic beat em up villain. It's the exact opposite of why Croc was so great in Arkham Asylum.
Remote Claw

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Previous

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE