Arkham Knight Plot took a blow with DINI not present

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Arkham Knight Plot took a blow with DINI not present

Postby SupermanKnight24 » Dec 29th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Dini leaving after City is what really to me hurt the plot. I understand Dini's reason has he said in interviews he wanted DC/WB to give the same amount of respect to other Superheros and their universe besides Batman. Chiefly saying he would return to write for RS if they do Superman or Flash. I was thinking Dini wanted this series to be the template create a video game DCU like he did with the animated DC universe. If Dini wrote Arkham Knight we likely would've had a better story cause it feels that Rocksteady borrowed a lot from the Nolan films ( Dark Knight Rises) has my friend said they had writers ego. In the beginning, the Arkham games where an homage to Batman's comic book history then with Knight I felt like I was watching a reinterpretation of TDKR.

At this point it is too much of a reused plot to use the whole Batman dies EVERYTHING ends type plot. For me, it's very annoying and I would rather an ending where Bruce Wayne is Batman and we have the gamers are just done following his life or journey but in our minds we know he is still Batman. I feel Damian Wayne appear at the end of Arkham Knight after the events at Wayne manor with Lady Shiva ( who we never saw again of all the origins characters that came back even in the Shadow War where the hell was she?) and shows Bruce Damian has the final will of Talia Al Ghul. An ending where now Bruce can be a father to this child and it can work cause we DO NOT know how many times he has been with Talia.
SupermanKnight24
Tyger1
Tyger1

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham Asylum House

Re: Arkham Knight Plot took a blow with DINI not present

Postby crush8503 » Jan 9th, 2016, 10:32 am

The destruction of Arkham Asylum, Tim Drake being the current Robin, Joker's death, Cadmus, and Harley being pregnant with Joker's child all seemed to set up a Batman Beyond story. But at some point Rocksteady (and possibly WB) must have wanted to take the series in a different direction and that's why they parted ways with Dini. It's a shame because he said in an interview that he had more ideas for a third game but they decided not to use him. I still enjoyed Arkham Knight, but a part of me will always wonder what kind of story we missed out on.
crush8503

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby cloakandcowl » Jan 10th, 2016, 5:20 pm

SupermanKnight24 wrote:Dini leaving after City is what really to me hurt the plot. I understand Dini's reason has he said in interviews he wanted DC/WB to give the same amount of respect to other Superheros and their universe besides Batman. Chiefly saying he would return to write for RS if they do Superman or Flash. I was thinking Dini wanted this series to be the template create a video game DCU like he did with the animated DC universe. If Dini wrote Arkham Knight we likely would've had a better story cause it feels that Rocksteady borrowed a lot from the Nolan films ( Dark Knight Rises) has my friend said they had writers ego. In the beginning, the Arkham games where an homage to Batman's comic book history then with Knight I felt like I was watching a reinterpretation of TDKR.

At this point it is too much of a reused plot to use the whole Batman dies EVERYTHING ends type plot. For me, it's very annoying and I would rather an ending where Bruce Wayne is Batman and we have the gamers are just done following his life or journey but in our minds we know he is still Batman. I feel Damian Wayne appear at the end of Arkham Knight after the events at Wayne manor with Lady Shiva ( who we never saw again of all the origins characters that came back even in the Shadow War where the hell was she?) and shows Bruce Damian has the final will of Talia Al Ghul. An ending where now Bruce can be a father to this child and it can work cause we DO NOT know how many times he has been with Talia.

I think that Arkham Knight definitely has more of a movie vibe than a comic book vibe but I don't blame that on tthe ending and I don't feel that it leans too heavily towards Nolan's work. The Batmobile definitely leans heavily towards the tumbler but the city and the game are their own thing for me.
The reason why I think that AK has more of a movie-vibe to it though is simply this, the Batmobile. Not because it's like the tumbler, simply because it's there and in such heavy use.
How often is the Batmobile EVER used in a comic? It's such a rarity and pretty damn brief when it happens, you can only draw a car in sooo many ways before you struggle to make an interesting page.
Ultimately the Batmobile, imo, is almost entirely a creation of the cinematic and TV-Batman universe where it is most enjoyable to experience/watch and now, play. So it's no surprise to me that the vibe we'd get would lean that way at all.

IMO, the city strikes me more as a Burton'esque Gotham with some Nolan nods, it's beautifully Neon and grand and gothic and dark as heck. Nolan's Gotham felt very much like a real world city. (Except in Begins where it seemed a bit more... brown but mostly claustrophobic.)

As for the ending, i think it absolutely is tipping its hat to existing, similar endings but i don't think it's trying to copy anything. They want to bow out, They wanted to make this a conclusion and they felt this was an appropriate way to end the story without doing anything that people would hate.
Ie. Leave too many loose ends or similarly, actually kill Batman.

I do wonder about this. "Without DIni it sucks" sentiment from people though. Is it really so grandly different from Arkham City? I know some people don't like the writing but it seemed fine to me. My only complaint myself was I felt the Knight/Scarecrow balance wasn't quite the way I'd have liked it and the story seemed to go off in slightly the wrong order but I don't see what Dini would've done much differently?
TBH I still remember vividly how much everyone complained about the writing in City... Which I also disagreed with.
cloakandcowl

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jan 11th, 2016, 6:15 am

I disagree completely.

Arkham city has a shit story. I mean, it's good, but lots of stuff just seems rushed in the story. Right around the mr freeze fight is where the story seems to fall apart.

Arkham knoght does not have that. It seems like he story was the most focused on thing.

Spoiler: show
everybody says the whole Jason thing was too predictable. Yeah, I get that, but I think the developers were doing it on purpose. I truly believe that batman knew Jason was the arkham knight early on in the game, but was in denial about it as well. I don't think the Jason scenes are foreshadowing at all, I see it more as batman is thinking about what motive Jason would have to go after him. I doubt that of all the memories he had with the joker, the one with Jason is the one he decided to use. He was clearly thinking "I failed him. And now he's back and he wants to show me just how much I failed him."

The only problem I had with the story was Gordon shooting batman. That made no sense to me, even if he did it to save his daughter. It's BATMAN. I would rather take the bullet for him. At least he has a chance of stopping the madness. Gordon isn't going to do crap, because if batman did die, then scarecrow would have still killed Barbara and Gordon and still spread fear gas around the city in some way or another.

As far as the knightfall ending goes, I hated it at first because it made no sense to me. But after thoughts tell me there is an insightful message in the ending, which is no matter what is going on in Gotham at any time, the city will always still have fear within itself. Even though batman removed his mask, he is feared by the criminals. They still go out at night knowing someone in a bat suit can show up and stop them.

Origins still had the best story, but arkham knight had a great story too. The main characters were so accurate to the comics it's insane. I had my complaints the first play through, but after waiting half a year I can easily say the game is way better on a second play through months after your last.

-- Jan 11th, 2016, 1:15 am --

I disagree completely.

Arkham city has a shit story. I mean, it's good, but lots of stuff just seems rushed in the story. Right around the mr freeze fight is where the story seems to fall apart.

Arkham knoght does not have that. It seems like he story was the most focused on thing.

everybody says the whole Jason thing was too predictable. Yeah, I get that, but I think the developers were doing it on purpose. I truly believe that batman knew Jason was the arkham knight early on in the game, but was in denial about it as well. I don't think the Jason scenes are foreshadowing at all, I see it more as batman is thinking about what motive Jason would have to go after him. I doubt that of all the memories he had with the joker, the one with Jason is the one he decided to use. He was clearly thinking "I failed him. And now he's back and he wants to show me just how much I failed him."

The only problem I had with the story was Gordon shooting batman. That made no sense to me, even if he did it to save his daughter. It's BATMAN. I would rather take the bullet for him. At least he has a chance of stopping the madness. Gordon isn't going to do crap, because if batman did die, then scarecrow would have still killed Barbara and Gordon and still spread fear gas around the city in some way or another.

As far as the knightfall ending goes, I hated it at first because it made no sense to me. But after thoughts tell me there is an insightful message in the ending, which is no matter what is going on in Gotham at any time, the city will always still have fear within itself. Even though batman removed his mask, he is feared by the criminals. They still go out at night knowing someone in a bat suit can show up and stop them.

Origins still had the best story, but arkham knight had a great story too. The main characters were so accurate to the comics it's insane. I had my complaints the first play through, but after waiting half a year I can easily say the game is way better on a second play through months after your last.

-- Jan 11th, 2016, 1:15 am --

I disagree completely.

arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE