Looking back, what should they have foreshadowed?

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Looking back, what should they have foreshadowed?

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Jan 14th, 2016, 2:27 am

So now that we have all of AK at our disposal, I got to thinking. While Arkham Knight was amazing, some things about it feel a little "out of left field," a little retcon-y. Please don't start trashing the game, but share what you think RS could have done in previous titles to service the ending to Arkham Knight?

Jason Todd- not a single mention of the name Jason. Not a single mention of an old Robin. I think RS could have alluded to this in a million and one ways. Tim could've mentioned Bruce's reluctance to take him on, after "what happened to the last kid." Thugs could reminisce about when Joker killed Robin. When Tim was hunting Harley in HQR, she should've wondered who he was, since Mr. J killed the last one.

The Arkham Knight- Different from Jason. Thugs in AC should've mentioned some guy starting an army in Venezuela. Since, according to those "canon" comics, the Knight was present in Arkham City, thugs should have noticed some weird guy with bat ears and guns lurking around.

Nyssa- Suddenly, Nyssa exists. With the League of Assassins and the al Ghul family playing such a major role in the ending of Arkham City, I find it bizarre that there was not a single mention of a second daughter. Especially if she was gonna eventually rebel against her father in a major plot from the next game.

Tim/Barbara- I know we all hate this. But if they were gonna do it, they should have had some more banter in AC that alluded to this attraction.

So yeah. Maybe I just like foreshadowing, but I feel like it was a little weak in the Rocksteady trilogy. What are your thoughts?
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Re: Looking back, what should they have foreshadowed?

Postby DatBat » Jan 14th, 2016, 4:06 am

Straight off the bat (hehehe), the obvious one is that Jason Todd's existence wasn't acknowledged aside from like two throwaway joker lines. We could have gotten a hint in Asylum seeing as that's where Jason was held hostage. We could have gotten a hint in City as the AK comics show him present DURING the events of the game. I feel like the pre-development pitch meeting for the game was like this:
(spoilered for length) A really long satirical narrative set in a WB boardroom.
Spoiler: show
"Okay, we've got a rabid fanbase but we're bored and want to wrap the series up, so let's make the last one real cool. People have been asking for three things. They like Scarecrow, Jason Todd, and the Batmobile. We knew Scarecrow would be cool so we added some hints in City. People thought those were cool. We need to link Jason Todd to a different game, ummmmmm, maybe he was locked up in the Asylum. And you know what the kids are into these days? Guns. They also like Transformers. Let's put those on the Batmobile, because it needs to be original, we can't copy our own Batmobile we showed in Asylum. Oh, and you know what's the same about all the best Arkham characters? The original ones. You know, Dr. Penelope Young, she was great, ummmm there was that nameless bald doctor in Asylum with a voice like Wolverine, ha, remember when Joker asked him for a rectal exam? That was HI-LARIOUS! The kids loved that one. Y'know what? Let's have Joker too. I'm setting a goal for you guys. Find a way to make Joker appear in almost every scene and make jokes the whole time."
*nervous lowly environmental design intern speaks up*
"Um, sir, well, umm, Joker died in the last game?"
*executive laughs and all the other employees join in with fake laughter*
"What are you talking about?! Joker's in the Origins one that's about to come out!"
"Um, sir, that's a prequel."
"Is this office not in ENGLAND? Speak English!"
"S-sir, a prequel is-"
"That's enough out of you. So, back on the original characters. Those....those are the ones we're real proud of."
*enthusiastic middle-level employee*
"Yeah, Warden Sharp was great!"
"Nah, he sucked. The real star of the show is good old Frankie Boles. Frank-ayyy!"
"W-who?"
"Y'know, the guard that was a double agent? Man, we really did some character development on him. He was a former goon turned guard turned secret goon with a sick alcohol problem. Remember the classic line, 'A lot of people in here really wanna tawk to you, clown!', man, that part was good. Forget Jason Todd, let's make him the villain. No! Make him the good guy!"
"But sir, Joker killed Boles and painted a green smiley face on his mouth. He's dead."
*a single tear rolls down the exec's face*
"Y-yeah, whatever. Ummmm, fine, we'll do Jason Todd, quit begging!"
*employees jump out of their chairs in shock and look at each other in confusion as to how they begged*
"Alright, but we gotta make him marketable. Kids these days, they're over Batman, they liked Iron Man. Kids like guns too. Make him a cross between Iron Man and Batman with guns. And, uh, put Arkham in his name. Oooh! I have an idea! Kids like tanks! Make the Iron Batman with guns have an entire military force and some tanks and helicopters and stuff, and make the gun transformer batmobile blow the tanks up!"
*young intern in a batman shirt with a look of discomfort on his face speaks up*
"But sir, that would kill the person inside. Batman doesn't kill people."
"In this one he does! The kids like killing people! Make it a First Person Shooter!"
"But sir, Batman doesn't use guns, and he certainly doesn't kill, and it's against my moral code to tarnish the reputation of a beloved character and critically acclaimed gaming franchise that has changed the lives of many fans that-"
*exec slams fist down*
"Get out!"
*morally obligated employee runs out and bumps into Hideo Kojima running away from Konami*
"Fine, whatever. We'll be topical. The tanks will be drones. Meeting adjourned! Get to work!"
*employees begin to file out*
"Remember, if it's a paycheck you want to see, just say the magical letters!"
*all employees turn and speak in unison*
"D-L-C!"
"Good, good."
*side mission writer runs back in*
"Wait, people liked Hush too, and all of the budget's been distributed! None of the side mission money was allotted for Hush!"
*exec grumbles while he fishes for pocket change*
"Here."
*hands over a half eaten lollipop, twelve dollars, a Cheerio, and an early release 3DS copy of Blackgate*
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby JordanT4021 » Jan 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Scarp the Arkham Knight concept and simply have an unnamed Talon who is later revealed to be Jason. The Court of Owls could have found a half dead Robin and brought him back to life to serve as their loyal servant. It would be cool to see Batman try to reason with Jason but he's too loyal to the court to turn his back on them.

I think I'd like for the Court to be the main mastermind in the game. They want to take back control of Gotham and the only way they could do that is by having Batman out of the picture. If you won't a tense and genuinely terrifying game, then the Court definitely would have been a villain who could bring that. There's a lot to explore here like hidden floors in Gotham's buildings, Court hideouts and the maze that they trapped Batman in which almost killed him. Also, instead of having the villains working together, throw them into an all out war twice the scale of the Arkham gang war.

Replace Harley Quinn with Poison Ivy for the antihero. It goes much better with recent adaptations of the character in comics. Plus, I'm really fond of the idea of Ivy infiltrating the GCPD to enslave the police officers and eventually have her losing her powers.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Red leader » Jan 14th, 2016, 6:13 pm

DatBat wrote:Straight off the bat (hehehe), the obvious one is that Jason Todd's existence wasn't acknowledged aside from like two throwaway joker lines. We could have gotten a hint in Asylum seeing as that's where Jason was held hostage. We could have gotten a hint in City as the AK comics show him present DURING the events of the game. I feel like the pre-development pitch meeting for the game was like this:
"Okay, we've got a rabid fanbase but we're bored and want to wrap the series up, so let's make the last one real cool. People have been asking for three things. They like Scarecrow, Jason Todd, and the Batmobile. We knew Scarecrow would be cool so we added some hints in City. People thought those were cool. We need to link Jason Todd to a different game, ummmmmm, maybe he was locked up in the Asylum. And you know what the kids are into these days? Guns. They also like Transformers. Let's put those on the Batmobile, because it needs to be original, we can't copy our own Batmobile we showed in Asylum. Oh, and you know what's the same about all the best Arkham characters? The original ones. You know, Dr. Penelope Young, she was great, ummmm there was that nameless bald doctor in Asylum with a voice like Wolverine, ha, remember when Joker asked him for a rectal exam? That was HI-LARIOUS! The kids loved that one. Y'know what? Let's have Joker too. I'm setting a goal for you guys. Find a way to make Joker appear in almost every scene and make jokes the whole time."
"What are you talking about?! Joker's in the Origins one that's about to come out!"
"S-sir, a prequel is-"
"That's enough out of you. So, back on the original characters. Those....those are the ones we're real proud of."
"Nah, he sucked. The real star of the show is good old Frankie Boles. Frank-ayyy!"
"W-who?"
"Y'know, the guard that was a double agent? Man, we really did some character development on him. He was a former goon turned guard turned secret goon with a sick alcohol problem. Remember the classic line, 'A lot of people in here really wanna tawk to you, clown!', man, that part was good. Forget Jason Todd, let's make him the villain. No! Make him the good guy!"
"But sir, Joker killed Boles and painted a green smiley face on his mouth. He's dead."
*employees jump out of their chairs in shock and look at each other in confusion as to how they begged*
"Alright, but we gotta make him marketable. Kids these days, they're over Batman, they liked Iron Man. Kids like guns too. Make him a cross between Iron Man and Batman with guns. And, uh, put Arkham in his name. Oooh! I have an idea! Kids like tanks! Make the Iron Batman with guns have an entire military force and some tanks and helicopters and stuff, and make the gun transformer batmobile blow the tanks up!"
*young intern in a batman shirt with a look of discomfort on his face speaks up*
"In this one he does! The kids like killing people! Make it a First Person Shooter!"
"But sir, Batman doesn't use guns, and he certainly doesn't kill, and it's against my moral code to tarnish the reputation of a beloved character and critically acclaimed gaming franchise that has changed the lives of many fans that-"
*exec slams fist down*
"Get out!"
*morally obligated employee runs out and bumps into Hideo Kojima running away from Konami*
"Fine, whatever. We'll be topical. The tanks will be drones. Meeting adjourned! Get to work!"
"D-L-C!"
"Good, good."
"Wait, people liked Hush too, and all of the budget's been distributed! None of the side mission money was allotted for Hush!"
"Here."
*hands over a half eaten lollipop, twelve dollars, a Cheerio, and an early release 3DS copy of Blackgate*

That was the greatest thing ever. :oldyella:
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby gwoodsii » Jan 16th, 2016, 12:10 am

It would have been interesting if they had put in a room in asylum that had a tipped over chair and blood on the floor. Maybe even ropes. Because the backstory for Todd was so different I doubt anybody could have guessed it.
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Wyrewho » Mar 19th, 2016, 1:59 pm

DatBat wrote:Straight off the bat (hehehe), the obvious one is that Jason Todd's existence wasn't acknowledged aside from like two throwaway joker lines. We could have gotten a hint in Asylum seeing as that's where Jason was held hostage. We could have gotten a hint in City as the AK comics show him present DURING the events of the game. I feel like the pre-development pitch meeting for the game was like this:
"S-sir, a prequel is-"
"W-who?"
*exec slams fist down*
"Get out!"
"D-L-C!"
"Good, good."
"Here."

Very impressive but I feel I have to point out the tanks are all drones so no-one would be killed.
Wyrewho

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE