Batman: Arkham City - Reviews

Here you will find our archive of news and announcements on Batman: Arkham City and related merchandise.

Re: Batman: Arkham City - Reviews

Postby Merivigian » Oct 15th, 2011, 2:53 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
Chublacka wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-city-213288.phtml

I hate that guy. This is the same person who gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10. I don't understand how metacritic finds him credible.

He gave Assassin's Creed II a what!? That was the best of the series! Gah! I hate this guy even more now! D: You don't give a game that's been repeatedly called "The Best Game Ever" a freakin 8.5! D:

This is why I often find reviews uncredited and sometimes corrupt. I know AC will be a great game, and a silly reviewer's cry for attention isn't going to change that.. an 8.5? Come on! :batman:
Merivigian

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Stone King(JLA)

Postby Bill Lehecka » Oct 15th, 2011, 3:16 pm

What I don't get about his review: He says Arkham City never quite reaches the heights of its predecessor, but yet he scored the predecessor an 8 out of 10. So which is it?

I hate it when trollish behavior (Wait, this is a British site, where are my manners... behaviour) seems to work. It's received a ton of attention and has 150+ comments.
Bill Lehecka
Tyger2
Tyger2

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Merivigian » Oct 15th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Bill Lehecka wrote:What I don't get about his review: He says Arkham City never quite reaches the heights of its predecessor, but yet he scored the predecessor an 8 out of 10. So which is it?

I hate it when trollish behavior (Wait, this is a British site, where are my manners... behaviour) seems to work. It's received a ton of attention and has 150+ comments.

Yea, I was reading the comments and luckily there are those who see this as a pretentious review, but then I read a handful that say things like "guess I'll gamefly it" and "So, it's bad? I knew it was over hyped".. silly what a number can do to a person's ambition to play a game they've been waiting for. Tisk tisk
Merivigian

Postby BuNKiTZ » Oct 15th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Merivigian wrote:
Bill Lehecka wrote:What I don't get about his review: He says Arkham City never quite reaches the heights of its predecessor, but yet he scored the predecessor an 8 out of 10. So which is it?

Yea, I was reading the comments and luckily there are those who see this as a pretentious review, but then I read a handful that say things like "guess I'll gamefly it" and "So, it's bad? I knew it was over hyped".. silly what a number can do to a person's ambition to play a game they've been waiting for. Tisk tisk

Wow that made me really sad. Sorta. It just well, makes me sad to know that some people won't know how awesome the game is or at least at one point thought that it wasn't that great. But hey, after they play it, they're sure to buy it :P
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Merivigian » Oct 15th, 2011, 4:16 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
Merivigian wrote:

Wow that made me really sad. Sorta. It just well, makes me sad to know that some people won't know how awesome the game is or at least at one point thought that it wasn't that great. But hey, after they play it, they're sure to buy it :P

That's how I feel. It's sad, but in the end, they'll see that they missed out on it and could have played it earlier. In the mean time, I think I can get over that sadness by enjoying my own copy of AC, hahah. :adam:
Merivigian

Postby Tropxe » Oct 15th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Oddly, the PS3 version has a Metacritic score of 98% whereas the 360 version has one of 95%. I don't know if that's down to the 360 version actually being worse or just that a review that was worse than the others just so happened to be using the 360 version to review.

LiAm_SOLLO- wrote:This will definatley get Game Of The Year!

You know there isn't a single GOTY award, right? Magazines and websites all chose their own one. For example, Arkham Asylum was nominated GOTY by Games Master, but other magazines, shops and sites chose games such as Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls or Assassin's Creed II. I think Uncharted 2 was the one most selected for GOTY, but that's the closest you'll get to a single GOTY.

Anyway, there's also Skyrim, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Skyward Sword, and that's just from a couple of months of this year. The last Zelda game won GOTY from almost every place in 2006 so Skyward Sword is looking like a favourite. Oh, and there's also Portal 2 from earlier in the year. It's got some really tough competition.
Tropxe

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Merivigian » Oct 15th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Tropxe wrote:Oddly, the PS3 version has a Metacritic score of 98% whereas the 360 version has one of 95%. I don't know if that's down to the 360 version actually being worse or just that a review that was worse than the others just so happened to be using the 360 version to review.

PS3's score was based on 10 reviews, while the Xbox's score was based on 27. There's more room for a bad review, notice destructoid's bogus 85 is in with the 360's.
Merivigian

Postby Musty002 » Oct 15th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Tropxe wrote:Oddly, the PS3 version has a Metacritic score of 98% whereas the 360 version has one of 95%. I don't know if that's down to the 360 version actually being worse or just that a review that was worse than the others just so happened to be using the 360 version to review.

360 26 reviews
PS3 10 reviews
MASSIVE DIFFERENCE and the 360 1st game is higher ranked and have a greater number of reviews than PS3 and slightly looks better than PS3.(proofhttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-demo-showdown-blog-entry )

Tropxe wrote:GOTY award, right? Magazines and websites all chose their own one. For example, Arkham Asylum was nominated GOTY by Games Master, but other magazines, shops and sites chose games such as Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls or Assassin's Creed II. I think Uncharted 2 was the one most selected for GOTY, but that's the closest you'll get to a single GOTY.

Actually there is a definitive GOTY award and it's Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences’ Interactive Achievement Awards (AIAS). Unlike Spike TV’s awards show , gamespot , ign.. etc, this awards are held in much higher regard . It's the Oscar’s of the gaming industry.
Musty002
Tyger1
Tyger1

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Crane » Oct 15th, 2011, 11:15 pm

8.5 Is the lowest review WOW this is good I am a bit dissapointed about what they said about the boss battles but hey everything else seems Amazing :joker: Me likey the reviews.
Made by Bane
Crane

Favourite Villain: ScarecrowTwoface
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKReturns

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Oct 16th, 2011, 4:10 am

Musty002 wrote:

360 26 reviews
PS3 10 reviews
MASSIVE DIFFERENCE and the 360 1st game is higher ranked and have a greater number of reviews than PS3 and slightly looks better than PS3.(proofhttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-demo-showdown-blog-entry )

Those videos are of Arkham Asylum...but I see your point. It's because both games were originally made for 360 then ported to PS3. Maybe the PS3 version will be a little better this time around in AC but it still will be tad amiss.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby UnderTheHood » Oct 16th, 2011, 4:13 am

I come back & get bombarded with Nightwing, Robin, New Trailers & Reviews.. I can't wait until next week..
UnderTheHood

Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby The Tingler » Oct 16th, 2011, 10:39 am

Regarding the Destructoid review, they have a weird scoring system which is based entirely on their own personal enjoyment, which frankly makes sense to them and them alone. They really shouldn't be on Metacritic as it's just different to everyone. Also, since when is 8.5 a bad score guys? It's incredibly high!

However, I can't say I like the review. For starters, he revealed a huge spoiler at the beginning. Also, a lot of it was his personal opinion that he stated as fact, "ARKHAM CITY IS LIKE THIS" when the majority of people wouldn't care less. Further to that, he clearly preferred the Metroidvania style - nothing wrong with that, but you have to take it into account. He is right about a few things like boss fights and some major characters getting the short end of the stick though.
The Tingler

Postby oswaldcobblepot » Oct 16th, 2011, 11:52 pm

0.2% away from being closer to 100% than 90% therefore rounded to 100%
¿I run all day and never walk. I tell you something, but I do not talk?
oswaldcobblepot

Favourite Villain: BANE
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby UnderTheHood » Oct 17th, 2011, 12:59 am

Merivigian wrote:
BuNKiTZ wrote:
Chublacka wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-city-213288.phtml

I hate that guy. This is the same person who gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10. I don't understand how metacritic finds him credible.

He gave Assassin's Creed II a what!? That was the best of the series! Gah! I hate this guy even more now! D: You don't give a game that's been repeatedly called "The Best Game Ever" a freakin 8.5! D:

This is why I often find reviews uncredited and sometimes corrupt. I know AC will be a great game, and a silly reviewer's cry for attention isn't going to change that.. an 8.5? Come on! :batman:

Assassins Creed II is magical! How is this possible!?!
UnderTheHood

Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby klizaloli » Oct 17th, 2011, 8:59 am

Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, so my diguise most stike terror.
klizaloli

Favourite Graphic Novel: year One

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham City News Archive