ARKHAM WARS (aka ARKHAM ORIGINS 2)
Basically it should start one year after the events of Origins and the Arkham Asylum has been finally reopened. There is a war in Gotham between the old-fashioned mafia (Falcone, Maroni, Sionis, Calabrese, Zucco) and the crazy supervillians (Joker, Mr Freeze, Scarface, Mad Hatter, Maxie Zeus, Ratcatcher, Killer Croc, Riddler). Penguin is somewhere in the middle of it all, deciding on who to support with his guns.
Batman has some allies in his fight now: James Gordon is now quietly on his side; Barbara helps him as a hacker; and the DA, Harvey Dent helps Batman quickly lock up the crazies in Arkham. We can meet with them in any point of the game, sometimes they will even assist us. There are no sidekicks in the story, though. I don't want another annoying "I wanna help" storyline. I want the focus of the story to go back to Batman's varied relationships with his different villians!
The main storyline is how Gotham is being overrun with crazies and how an attack of Batman, Gordon and Dent, along with opening the Asylum aims at changing that, swiftly. They're doing a darn good job but since we know what happens with Harvey, the game will have a bad ending and will basically be a retelling of Harvey Dent's downfall.
2) THE MAP:
The map should include all the islands plus the mainland with different districts reflecting their villian character a little to give them even more personality and different dangers. Each of them would be in control of a part of Gotham:
First of all, the area should be densily PACKED. Right now, Gotham is a racetrack for the batmobile. And it shouldn't be. Buildings should be close to each other. If that means that the batmobile isn't drivable, then so be it and let's not have a playable batmobile. I'd much rather have a good Gotham than a playable batmobile that's overused.
Secondly, the areas of Gotham should have more personality and be varied and have different styles:
- a modern downtown reminiscent of NY/Chicago. It needs to be one of the largest districts though with A LOT OF skyscrappers packed next to each other, not just three or four like on Founders Island
- old Gotham with Gothic extremely tall and exaggerated architecture (cathedrals, old theatres) and far less neon lights and large screens
- Narrows (Gotham slums)
- a regular district with tall housing buildings, schools, hospitals
- a Grand Park
- a sewer system
Finally - better lighting and atmosphere. City and especially Asylum nailed the atmosphere of their maps much better, while Origins had the best lighting of any game in the series.
However, most of the story elements should be made in large CLOSED areas as well. They should be as big and detailed as in Asylum and as unique as in City or Origins. Not some generic mess like in Knight. That would bring back the spirit of the first game and make it more creepy. The locations should be more varied and a lot of them: a large hospital, a school/university area, an abandoned factory, a court (where we meet with Dent), a Police station (where we meet with Gordon up top), the entire Wayne Tower to our use as Bruce Wayne, Wayne Manor, the batcave, a large Nakatomi-type building belonging to Maxie Zeus (where we fight more and more opponents on each floor and it becomes more and more difficult until we get to the top to Maxie), large underground tunnels where there is another war between Killer Croc and the Ratcatcher who fight for the supremacy over the homeless, a TV station, the real Iceberg Lounge, larger docks belonging to Falcone, a big Central Park, and of course the Asylum itself.
As for the city it should still be filled with things to do, like Riddler, sidequests (like gruesome murders and crimescenes with unique villians such as Killer Moth, Cavalier, Calendar Man, Magpie and new characters as well!!!). The city will also be filled with civilians. There is a curfew in Gotham because of the gang war, so there won't be too many of them... and for the most part, until we save them from a random mugging, we will not be able to interact with them (they will fall to the ground in fear of us, much like some criminals do in the game). Thanks to this there would be a large number of extra things to do in the city.
I would like them to mix it up with narrative driven random crimes with original characters. Flesh them out even more this time around. Maybe let us meet some of them more than once, or we need to scan three to five different crime scenes before we catch the person responsible. Who knows, if they do some of those new characters really well, they could join Batman's lore like Harley did after TAS and I'm sure the new Copperhead after Origins will as well.
But all of them should be narrative driven, just like in Origins. I want story to those crimes, I want motivation!!!
And I would like them to mix it up a bit more and not making it too easy with those red markers. Something that Arkham Knight did a very good job with. As well as checking camera surveillance, analyzing data on the batcomputer, autopsy reports, "taking fingerprints of a shattered bullet" sort of technology that's unique to Batman. Just mix it up.
As for what crimes I want?
- definitely all types of murder - serial killers, accidental hit and run, etc.
- home invasion
- finding a local mobster terrorizing the neighborhood
- finding an old crime, something like the Cyrus Pinkney case! That was really great. Maybe the new ones could be connected to the Court of Owls and be something like a preview for Origins 3. That would be even cooler!
Stuff like that, that adds to Batman's mythology is vital to a new, fresh experience.
Our modes of transport are the batwing and the batmobile but neither of them is required in the game (other than maybe some Riddler trophies, or a random chase scene). There are, however, special side quests designed specifically to test each mode.
6) PLAYABLE CHARACTERS:
We play only as Batman in the main game but there are short moments in the story where we do play as other characters like Joker, Catwoman, and later even Two-Face. These characters will have extra content for them if someone wants to play as them more but it will not dominate the main story.
Combat stays largely the same. It's perfected by now. Just bring back the Martial Artist and maybe add some new enemy types and that's it. But have them be thugs and corrupt Police, not Militia.
Real Boss Battles - WBGM did an amazing job with varied boss battles in AO and it would be great to have more of it to showcase Batman's foes different abilities. It's a shame we won't have a proper boss battle with Man-Bat anymore but there are some other characters that could still pose a physical threat to Batman and a psychological one (we could finally get another boss battle against Scarecrow, which AK so obviously lacked)
Having the ability to play as Bruce Wayne, exploring his company, the Batcave and the Manor. We should also be able to do more detective work as Bruce or maybe even Matches Malone. Basically add to the detective aspects of the game, which would make this new game fresh. Since you cannot do much more with combat.
Develop Predator mode: Add a light/shadow mechanic. Also a fear based system where you can end the encounters in different ways, as well as some of the thugs running away. Hence, the fear takedown is limited to only three thugs at once and can be used only when the thugs are terrified of you. More types of enemies in this mode as well would be welcome, plus new and varied takedowns.
8) HONORABLE MENTIONS;
- All the DLC skins/challenge map requests for Arkham Knight should be a given for the next game. And a lack of them would seem like another step backwards. So give us all the skins from Arkham Knight as unlockables in game (including the movie skins obviously!!!)! No blue walls! Make the challenge Maps narrative in nature again and not an AR simulation! Only when they do that then they have my permission to die... ooops, couldn't resist the reference Smiley Wink ... only then they could start adding extra skins (like Forever, HellBat, Zero Year, Kingdom Come, etc.), extra maps as paid DLC.
- skins for the villians as well (definitely have a Ledger and Nicholson skin and a Hardy-Bane skin)
- Boss Fights as replayable Challenge Maps!
- a Holiday setting (it adds some magic to the atmosphere)
- A WEATHER TOGGLE (rain, snow, clear)!!!
- at least one side mission dealing with social issues - could be Anarky or Deacon Blackfire or a completely new character. Class warfare, Immigration, etc. Something meaningful. I want these games to have some depth.
- more brutal fighting animation - for god's sake, add blood if it's rated R!
- make the scary parts, scary!
9) THE ENDING:
Since the game would end on a sour, yet expected note, there would still be a need for a hook for the next game which would include a... Talon. We would realize that Batman and Two-Face changed Gotham's status quo and the Court of Owls is not too keen on potentially losing their city.
ARKHAM NIGHTS (aka ARKHAM ORIGINS 3)
Key players would be The Court, Two-Face, Anarky and... Clayface. Main theme of this game would be PARANOIA. Batman is finally unsure whether he understands Gotham or not. Whom he can trust and who's a risk. That's why we have The Court and Clayface as some of the main players. Naturally Scarecrow would also have a role in the game.
POTENTIAL NEW VILLIANS
IN TERMS OF MAIN STORY POTENTIAL:
- Falcone/Maroni saga - we need to finish the classic gangsters storyline and finally give them and their thugs a time to shine. They're not a physical threat but they're some of the most engaging characters in Batman comics.
- Court of Owls - kind of obvious
- Harvey Dent - ok, so we had Two-Face a couple of times already but Two-Face is not interesting. Harvey is, and his downfall
IN TERMS OF SOCIAL COMMENTARY:
- Ratcatcher - taking a deeper look at Gotham sewers would be nice and exploring the poor people of Gotham could be done nicely.
- Police - Batman can still be hunted by the police and we could see some detective work used on crooked, evil policemen, maybe investigating a cop killing of a young innocent kid
- Dagget - evil businessman
THE SCARY PSYCHOPATH/DETECTIVE THREAT:
- Dollmaker - psychopath making dolls of people, seems an obvious choice
- Scarface - not a physical danger, but could be an interesting detective hunt for him
- Cluemaster - could be a nice change of pace for Riddler in the sequel, or even the first game
- Magpie - a thieving, more evil version of Catwoman. We need to catch her
- more old Gotham crime investigations - the Cyrus Pinkney stuff was a great suprise in Origins.
A UNIQUE GAMEPLAY THREAT:
- Doctor Phosphorus - poses a threat of fire, toxicity, etc. Cannot be touched by Batman
- Killer Moth - flying. Side mission with Firefly and Man-Bat were really botched so we need someone else to give us a great flying battle
- Professor Milo might substitute Scarecrow and Mad Hatter
- Maxie Zeus - using electricity could knock out detective vision, living us gadget-less in his building
A PHYSICAL THREAT:
- a different Clayface - he could also be a different threat, attacking you very suddenly, posing as somebody else.
- Doctor Death
- The KGBeast
- Mad Monk
There's actually enough material for three separate games here. And that's not counting some returning villians that should be given more justice and time to shine like Anarky, Black Mask, Copperhead or Calendar Man.
It's a shame that due to how poorly some of the villians were done in Knight (Hush, Blackfire, Man-Bat) we can't use them again in a prequel game. They could have been MUCH more interesting than what we got. Unfortunately it was Batman's first meeting with them. But in all honesty, I really do prefer less villians in the game and have them be better developed.