What would you change about the arkhamverse?

Discuss the possibilities for "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the future of the Arkham series after Rocksteady Studios' swansong.

What would you change about the arkhamverse?

Postby Red leader » Jan 6th, 2016, 5:53 am

What about the Arkhamverse would you guys change, remove, or have focused on more?

I would have made AC more tightly woven or at least made less tonal shifts and contrivances. The biggest thing is that I would write AK out of continuity and make sure all the villains who he killed or died in connection to that game survived. Then I would make Tim younger or make the world more like pre 52 dc and have the black glove and everything already have happened. I would have made the next big game after AC a more character driven story thats not a world ending plot but rather more akin to the tone of AA with the look of the city we got in AA. I would also not even have there be a bunch of villains free. It would be open world but instead of contriving story reasons i would make it very linear and take place over several nights or at least the side missions would be. Also Arkham City would be an accessible part of Gotham where many villains would be hiding out and the asylum would be a place you can go to.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Re: What would you change about the arkhamverse?

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jan 6th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Mmm. Love threads like these. Discussing what could have been! I like your ideas too, by the way :D Well, except for the part where you totally erase Arkham Knight :oldyella:

A Matter of Family takes place... maybe 2 years before Arkham Asylum. Since I don't have much ideas at the moment, and there isn't really much of a story here, I'll just mention some ideas and whatnot. Batgirl is slightly younger than she is in the DLC, and instead of Arkham Knight Tim, we have Jason in his place. He and Barbara have a good relationship, but they don't always get along. Barbara's like the big sister who often scolds him because he's doing something wrong or being rude, etc. At this point, however, Jason's become more violent and angry because of how time after time, despite all their efforts to fight crime, most of the villains they put behind bars simply break out again. So, throughout the story, there are moments when Barbara berates Jason's violent behavior. The story still ends with the Joker escaping, however, during the fight, he and his crew manage to get the upper hand by taking advantage of Jason's rage and provoking him. This all blows up in their face when Joker attempts to shoot Batgirl, which causes Jason to rush after the clown and almost beat him to death. Batgirl manages to stop Robin from finishing off Joker, and proceeds to free Commissioner Gordon. However, during this, a beaten Harley barely manages to help Joker escape the abandoned oil rig with her.

After the events of A Matter of Family, the Joker lays low and is nowhere to be seen for several months. That is, until he shows up at Barbara Gordon's apartment and shoots her.

The Fall follows this. Jason is finally pushed to the brink after finding out about the Joker's attack on Barbara. A year later, Joker takes over the Asylum whilst trapping the Dark Knight in it..

I would keep the events of Arkham Asylum the same. Behind the scenes, however, I would like to make it so that Barbara has been Oracle for about a year or so. Tim is not yet Robin. He is still a high school student, and he's making his own investigations about Batman and Robin. Jason, on the other hand, is still imprisoned within the walls of Arkham, being tortured by Joker and slowly being turned against his former mentor. During the chaos, however, he makes his escape. During his "stay" at the asylum, it was only the Joker and sometimes Harley who beat him. No other inmates or guards or whatever... He does not meet Deathstroke on his way out.

I don't really have much problems with Arkham City's story and events, so I would keep most of the things the same. The League of Assassins' part would be made longer, though. Bruce and Talia will have more screen time together, to properly show their relationship, etc. The League's history will be explored quite a bit, maybe, more specifically, its connection to Gotham and Wonder City. Also, rather than just having a part at the beginning and end of the game, then hearing his voice throughout our time in Arkham City, Batman will encounter Hugo Strange somewhere in the middle. Perhaps, it could be something like the TYGER guards ambush Batman and Strange shows up together with them. Unlike the beautiful kick-ass CGI trailer where Batman whoops all the TYGER guards' asses, he doesn't do so here because he decides to confront Strange. We get a one-on-one boss battle with Strange in a similar fashion to Deathstroke's. It's nowhere near as intense, but being the obsessive fucker who has studied Batman and whatnot and intends to replace him, Strange is able to keep up. For the most part, anyway. Maybe 2/3 of the fight. Later on, Batman ups his game and Strange begins to lose, wherein the guards try to intervene but Strange tells them not to. Finally, he's defeated, which is when all the guards do fire at Batman who manages to escape with his smoke bombs or whatever. I don't know, something like that. Oh, and in this fight, Strange will have taken off his coat and shit, and look like his artwork in Asylum. Not sure what to do for the final encounter with Strange, though... I'd like to also change the way Ra's just shows up then kills Strange, etc., then Joker stealing the spotlight, but I need to sleep now and am out of ideas for the moment, so, yeah :oldyella:
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby JordanT4021 » Jan 6th, 2016, 8:33 pm

More emotions: Throughout the entire series, Batman has been completely wooden and seems incapable of emotion. Its a real shame when you consider that Kevin Conroy's Batman in BTAS was a very sympathetic and understanding hero. I wish Batman would be more engaged with his allies. When Catwoman was captured by Riddler in AK, he should have comforted and reassured her that things would be okay. The way he rejects her at the end is also extremely cold. He gives her false hope then dismisses her, putting an end to the relationship that had been forming for several games. He shows no gratitude to Robin or Nightwing at any point and leaves an unconscious Tim Drake with Jim Gordon without saying a word to him in the dilapidated Arkham Asylum. There was also a lack of emotion when Jason is revealed. This is one of Bruce's sons. It should have been an emotional encounter rather than "oh, you're alive, go figure."

Alfred was also pretty bad when it came to emotion. After hearing about Ivy's death he brushes it off and encourages Batman to continue with the main problem. Also, as Victor and Nora sail away, both of them sound so uptight and abrupt. I would have liked Batman to take on a more fathering role to Tim, Dick and Jason because I really don't understand why they would ever want to work with him.

Ally contribution: Dick, Selina and Tim were shown to be very capable heroes in there own right but Batman's arrogance and foolishness stops them from ever really showing that in the main games. I would have liked the allies to play of a more important role in the franchise and connected to the main story a little more.

Less of the same old villains: Throughout the games, particularly towards the end, the villain roster didn't change very much at all. The only significant change was from Asylum to City. Origins did show several new villains but they weren't really fleshed out enough and were mostly limited to side missions. Unfortunately, a lot of these villains weren't expanded on, so we never really got the opportunity to connect and care for them.

Treatment of females: AA, AC and AO were pretty great when it came to female representations. However, AK was pretty terrible. Harley Quinn and Catwoman spent the entire game revolving around the men in their lives, Poison Ivy goes against her cause and becomes a martyr and Oracle is kidnapped and used as a trophy. There was so much potential for Harley with the Joker out of the picture. We'd already seen her mourning and so it was time for her to move on and become her own person, much like in recent comics. However, thats not what we got at all. Just a sad and lonely woman chasing after the memory of her lover. Its sad that a lot of these female characters fall into the same story arc. Also, there really is a lack of females in general. With potential characters like Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Kate Kane, Harper Row, Cheshire, White Rabbit and the Ventriloquist who can all be so easily implemented into the main story, it simply adds to the disappointment. And where were all the female thugs that weren't ninja's?

Continuation of claustrophobic environments and horror themes: The most charming feature of Arkham Asylum was its ability to create such a tense and genuinely frightening atmosphere. The dark and dimly lit corridors, the tiny crawl spaces and the hordes of lunatics running around all added to the overall mood. Even the history of the Asylum told through the spirit of Amadeus added to the sense that you would never know what would be hiding around the corner. However, as the open world got bigger and bigger in the following games, that feel was lost. Even in Arkham Knight, with Scarecrow as the main villain, we never got to feel that eeriness that we felt in the first game.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Red leader » Jan 6th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Great ideas guys. :) The Hugo Strange changes are great. I really wish that tyger was more then just an after thought. I want easter eggs and everything to be more subtle and to fit. The easter eggs in AC and AK are on the nose and dont feel natural. In AA ratcatcher's gear in the vents fits the ton and everything. In AC somehow there is still a add for his pest control business even though his origin hinges upon him going to jail 10 years before he fights batman and losing his business around that time. The continuity with the comic is not a problem its just that its convenient. I dont want a ton of characters showing up or to see every major place shoved into a small space I would prefer Gotham to seem huge by focusing on a confined space like AA did.

I would also imply Strange surviving and have him have always been Batman's enemy. AC would be more like him returning from a long time of being gone like he did in dark detective. I would want Gotham to seem more monstrous like it did in AA and AO. There was an emphasis on stuff like the spirit of arkham and cyrus piniky and I want to get back to that.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Red leader

Postby smilex » Jan 8th, 2016, 4:39 pm

I think they missed a great opportunity by not involving the Arkham Knight's backstory with Sharpe and Strange. You could still keep the Joker torture stuff, but have Sharpe find Jason and inform Hugo. They (mainly Strange) are the masterminds behind it all. The entire Arkham Knight persona sounds like something Hugo Strange would come up with. The AK plan is set in motion by protocol 11. Hugo Strange desgined the suit and it was the one Riddler saw. :hugo2:

Sharpe should have been involved in AK somehow. He's a big part of the Arkham mythos. As much as I liked the story of his apparent suicide, it wasn't enough for an interesting character they created. There could've been a side mission in which he fully gives in to being "Amadeus Arkham."
smilex

Favourite Graphic Novel: \

Postby Red leader » Jan 8th, 2016, 7:06 pm

smilex wrote:I think they missed a great opportunity by not involving the Arkham Knight's backstory with Sharpe and Strange. You could still keep the Joker torture stuff, but have Sharpe find Jason and inform Hugo. They (mainly Strange) are the masterminds behind it all. The entire Arkham Knight persona sounds like something Hugo Strange would come up with. The AK plan is set in motion by protocol 11. Hugo Strange desgined the suit and it was the one Riddler saw. :hugo2:

Sharpe should have been involved in AK somehow. He's a big part of the Arkham mythos. As much as I liked the story of his apparent suicide, it wasn't enough for an interesting character they created. There could've been a side mission in which he fully gives in to being "Amadeus Arkham."

Great idea though I would want your Sharp idea to be in the main game cause that would be to important to Arkham (the thing that rocksteady keeps forgetting is not just another word for gotham) and its legacy.
Red leader

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jan 11th, 2016, 2:07 am

A couple of things I would change in Arkham Knight:

• Sharp's involvement in the story, or rather, lack of
  • Hush's part in the story
  • Azrael's part in the story
  • The Man-Bat side-mission
  • Catwoman's part in the story
  • The ending where an appropriately-named supervillain who, as far as I know, is not at all physically fit, holds a trained vigilante and seasoned police commissioner hostage
Hush's side mission was utter shit. Not only was it a waste of a good character, but a total waste of the setup done in Arkham City. Clearly, he had some connections to Crane, but that was totally done away with here. He's pretty damn petty and pathetic in Knight, to be honest. I would make it more like the "Hush" story, I suppose. He would be involved in Crane's plan to defeat Batman. After all, Tommy knows Bruce incredibly well. Oh, yeah, I would make it so that, well, he knows Batman's secret identity. Maybe, I'll make it so that it would be Hush and Scarecrow working together to destroy Batman rather than the Arkham Knight. Hell, maybe the Arkham Knight could be their little project or something. Perhaps Tommy found Jason after the latter escaped Arkham and brought him to Crane or--nah. I'm not sure how the Knight would fit into the story now, though...

Azrael's side mission wasn't as bad, but it was... pretty bad. If anything, the least I would like to have happened instead is that Azrael and Batman worked together to fight some crime rather than having Lane simply fight simulations. Azrael's prophecy felt like a really big deal in Arkham City, but it turned out to just be a plot to kill Batman and have him take over as Gotham's leading vigilante. I would do away with that and instead stick with the whole "Batman is gonna burn" thing.

Side note: I would make the events of Arkham Knight actually be much longer than just one night. So, very drastic change, I suppose. The day gameplay could be limited and not free roam, maybe... Simply have story missions there.

Quincy Sharp and the actual Arkham anything would be involved. As Arkham Knight (the game) is right now, it actually has zero involvement with the Arkham Knight, save the titular villain whose connection to Arkham isn't that big of a deal. It's just "I was tortured there for a year or two." Which, yeah, it's a terrible thing, but the connection's just pretty weak, if you ask me. Anyway, yeah, I'm not sure how Sharp would be involved, but he would be to a pretty significant capacity.

The Man-Bat side mission was actually pretty good, except for the final confrontation. The atmosphere in the lab was great, I loved that. Wait, scratch that earlier part. Both confrontations were bad-ish. Yeah. I would make the first encounter similar, with Batman catching Man-Bat (who will NOT be a re-skinned drone) to get a sample of his blood. This involves flying at high speeds and then firing the Bat-Claw once close enough, but because Batman is in the air and Man-Bat is really strong, there will be a mini-game where the player has to slowly "climb" the Bat-Claw's rope towards Man-Bat, while trying to avoid obstacles, etc. During this mini-game, I suppose Batman can use some of his other gadgets to attack Man-Bat... Once Batman catches Man-Bat, he struggles to get a blood sample, and just as he does, is thrown off. The second fight will be the same, except Batman is unable to even get the syringe out as Man-Bat quickly throws himself and Batman into an abandoned building. Cue reverse-Predator boss fight! batman404 and I discussed this in a thread somewhere. I'm using our ideas here. So, abandoned building. Since Man-Bat crashed into it, though, there's a big gaping hole in the wall or ceiling so there's some moonlight and rain, etc. I would like some thunder rumbling in the distance too. Anyway, Man-Bat's taken to the shadows, and you're the one being hunted this time. I... forgot the details to this part. Hmm. I don't know, use your imaginations for now :oldyella: The fight ends with Batman barely beating Man-Bat, who reverts back to normal after Batman administers the cure.

The ending would not involve Bruce's identity being revealed at all. Not to the world, anyway. Erm, yeah. Will think of stuff later. A little lazy right now :oldyella:

Another side note: No numbers will be put on the timeline so as to not restrict it. There would be no mention that it's been x years since this or that happened. Nothing.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Red leader » Jan 13th, 2016, 5:46 am

BuNKiTZ wrote:A couple of things I would change in Arkham Knight:

• Sharp's involvement in the story, or rather, lack of
  • Hush's part in the story
  • Azrael's part in the story
  • The Man-Bat side-mission
  • Catwoman's part in the story
  • The ending where an appropriately-named supervillain who, as far as I know, is not at all physically fit, holds a trained vigilante and seasoned police commissioner hostage
Hush's side mission was utter shit. Not only was it a waste of a good character, but a total waste of the setup done in Arkham City. Clearly, he had some connections to Crane, but that was totally done away with here. He's pretty damn petty and pathetic in Knight, to be honest. I would make it more like the "Hush" story, I suppose. He would be involved in Crane's plan to defeat Batman. After all, Tommy knows Bruce incredibly well. Oh, yeah, I would make it so that, well, he knows Batman's secret identity. Maybe, I'll make it so that it would be Hush and Scarecrow working together to destroy Batman rather than the Arkham Knight. Hell, maybe the Arkham Knight could be their little project or something. Perhaps Tommy found Jason after the latter escaped Arkham and brought him to Crane or--nah. I'm not sure how the Knight would fit into the story now, though...

Azrael's side mission wasn't as bad, but it was... pretty bad. If anything, the least I would like to have happened instead is that Azrael and Batman worked together to fight some crime rather than having Lane simply fight simulations. Azrael's prophecy felt like a really big deal in Arkham City, but it turned out to just be a plot to kill Batman and have him take over as Gotham's leading vigilante. I would do away with that and instead stick with the whole "Batman is gonna burn" thing.

Side note: I would make the events of Arkham Knight actually be much longer than just one night. So, very drastic change, I suppose. The day gameplay could be limited and not free roam, maybe... Simply have story missions there.

Quincy Sharp and the actual Arkham anything would be involved. As Arkham Knight (the game) is right now, it actually has zero involvement with the Arkham Knight, save the titular villain whose connection to Arkham isn't that big of a deal. It's just "I was tortured there for a year or two." Which, yeah, it's a terrible thing, but the connection's just pretty weak, if you ask me. Anyway, yeah, I'm not sure how Sharp would be involved, but he would be to a pretty significant capacity.

The Man-Bat side mission was actually pretty good, except for the final confrontation. The atmosphere in the lab was great, I loved that. Wait, scratch that earlier part. Both confrontations were bad-ish. Yeah. I would make the first encounter similar, with Batman catching Man-Bat (who will NOT be a re-skinned drone) to get a sample of his blood. This involves flying at high speeds and then firing the Bat-Claw once close enough, but because Batman is in the air and Man-Bat is really strong, there will be a mini-game where the player has to slowly "climb" the Bat-Claw's rope towards Man-Bat, while trying to avoid obstacles, etc. During this mini-game, I suppose Batman can use some of his other gadgets to attack Man-Bat... Once Batman catches Man-Bat, he struggles to get a blood sample, and just as he does, is thrown off. The second fight will be the same, except Batman is unable to even get the syringe out as Man-Bat quickly throws himself and Batman into an abandoned building. Cue reverse-Predator boss fight! batman404 and I discussed this in a thread somewhere. I'm using our ideas here. So, abandoned building. Since Man-Bat crashed into it, though, there's a big gaping hole in the wall or ceiling so there's some moonlight and rain, etc. I would like some thunder rumbling in the distance too. Anyway, Man-Bat's taken to the shadows, and you're the one being hunted this time. I... forgot the details to this part. Hmm. I don't know, use your imaginations for now :oldyella: The fight ends with Batman barely beating Man-Bat, who reverts back to normal after Batman administers the cure.

The ending would not involve Bruce's identity being revealed at all. Not to the world, anyway. Erm, yeah. Will think of stuff later. A little lazy right now :oldyella:

Another side note: No numbers will be put on the timeline so as to not restrict it. There would be no mention that it's been x years since this or that happened. Nothing.

I feel like if they really wanted to it would be okay to reveal Bruce's identity but have him do what batman is suppose to do namely NOT GIVE UP! Greats points especially on arkham. I have no idea why they didnt find some way to tie the asylum or the legacy back into that place other then a lazy final confrontation if you can call it that.
Red leader

Postby Steelers4190 » May 15th, 2016, 4:56 pm

I'd lengthen the time line a bit. Put AK closer to twenty years after Bruce donned the cape and cowl. I'd change the ending of AK. Make it focus more on how he isn't an island and should be more accepting of his allies help. Tim and Barb wouldn't be an item. Would definitely plan for sequels to Origins to fill the gap between that and AA
Steelers4190

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » May 15th, 2016, 11:54 pm

Bruce and Catwoman get together

Talia isn't Bruce's one true love

Bruce isn't such an asshole to his allies

Sharpe and Strange have more to do with Jason than the Joker

Harley is actually a badass in Arkham Knight

The cops aren't completely dependent on Batman

More mob stuff
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby PriestlyBlock67 » Jun 21st, 2016, 12:15 am

Changed 50% of AKs story & sidequests.
-50% tank battles
-Only 1-2 tank bosses at max
PriestlyBlock67

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knight Fall

Postby RAID3N » Jun 21st, 2016, 5:26 pm

Fixed Bane, removed Arkham Origins and rewrote/remade most of Arkham Knight
formerly BartMan992
RAID3N

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke/Owlman

Postby The man who laughs » Jun 28th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Oh boy here we go:

Arkham origins:
More actual assassins eg, black spider and David Cain, KG Beast than killer croc and firefly
Less joker
More atmosphere
More monsters involved with black mask
Gang wars
Falcons and maroni, (unless they do an origins 2 with the creation of two face)
Fix continuity

Arkham asylum:
A few more Easter eggs and maybe an additional villain

Arkham city:
Longer story with more of a Hugo strange plot along with some of his monsters

Arkham knight:
Damian as the Arkham knight
Less tanks
More justice given hush and deathstroke (they were treated poorly)
Man bat boss fight
Season of infamy included in actual game
Memorable challenge maps
Better boss fights
Batcave
More shocking moments
Free roam as sidekicks and missions where you directly play as them in Arkham knight story
Azrael to have a bigger role
Villains working together a lot more
Two face boss battle to be similar to his in cat woman DLC, and for it to be longer and possible car chase like in trailer
More of Arkham asylum
More of an "Arkham feeling." Eg better conclusion to Titan and sharp etc

Don't get me wrong I love all of the Arkham games but for knight as much as I like it, it didn't feel like an Arkham game. I like the game but I feel as a finale many things were missing and not expressed. The feeling I got after Arkham city all the Easter eggs and theory's of what might happen and the idea of all villains teaming up and scarecrows master plan, felt empty due to many reasons.
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Postby Xranf » Jul 10th, 2016, 12:53 am

I would just restart from scratch the arkham knight game and I would go for the real and original story they had planned (it smells like there was a big ego fight and of course Hill lost).

If you are a real fan and complete AK you know the story had nothing to do with what they wanted to made after AC. A pitty and I hope one day they will tell the truth about it and Dini original script/story.
Xranf

Postby The man who laughs » Jul 11th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Xranf wrote:I would just restart from scratch the arkham knight game and I would go for the real and original story they had planned (it smells like there was a big ego fight and of course Hill lost).

If you are a real fan and complete AK you know the story had nothing to do with what they wanted to made after AC. A pitty and I hope one day they will tell the truth about it and Dini original script/story.

What do you mean an original script and story planned. Do you mean the leaked plot.

I understand that AK didn't fit in with AC, but has something been hinted / confirmed about a different plot or story not being allowed in AK
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Return to General Discussion