How would you do the Batmobile in a populated Arkham world?

Discuss the possibilities for "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the future of the Arkham series after Rocksteady Studios' swansong.

If the next Batman game had a lively city and you were given the Batmobile, would you rather:

You may select 1 option

View results

How would you do the Batmobile in a populated Arkham world?

Postby cyruslemont » Jan 30th, 2016, 7:17 am

I've read a lot of people over the years complain that the Arkham worlds we are presented with (Primarily AO and AK) being limited to having only criminals run amuck. When Arkham Knight first presented the Batmobile flying through the streets and blowing up and wiping out cars, people were already iffy as to the sense of realism you were given playing Batman. I've created a poll to get a better understanding of what people would actually expect if you were given the Batmobile in a civilian populated world.
cyruslemont

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: SHouse/SEarth

Re: How would you do the Batmobile in a populated Arkham wor

Postby cloakandcowl » Jan 30th, 2016, 10:14 am

I just wouldn't allow the Batmobile to drive around 75% of the playable area.

Give it some highways and non-pedestrian zones where you can just tear it up freely but otherwise give us a big chunk of space where it's just impractical and disallowed to have the Batmobile be driven.
Possibly keep it's remote control functions so that, during a combo, you can summon it and it'll rock up nearby, safely, to fire a non-lethal round but anywhere the batmobile needs to "slow-down" Batman is better off gliding.
cloakandcowl

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 30th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Firstly it's important to work out where the pedestrians will be. Personally I wouldn't have any on the sidewalk. I'd keep them to confined areas which the Batmobile can't come into contact with. Problem solved. It's Gotham late at night. The only people who dare to come out are criminals and the underworld. They're going to be keeping out of sight of the Batman.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby JordanT4021 » Jan 30th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Personally, I would put the Batmobile in at all. It's too powerful and too destructive that I find it hard to imagine it in a quiet crime less Gotham. I think the batwing would be much better to avoid damage to the city and citizens, and it would simply be a method of transport.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby crush8503 » Feb 2nd, 2016, 3:02 am

HaHaHa wrote:Firstly it's important to work out where the pedestrians will be. Personally I wouldn't have any on the sidewalk. I'd keep them to confined areas which the Batmobile can't come into contact with. Problem solved.

That's actually a great idea. Pedestrians can be on elevated walkways, out of harm's way, while the Batmobile can still drive as freely as it does in Arkham Knight.
crush8503

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Arpeggios » Feb 10th, 2016, 2:24 pm

This is basically the reason I have always had an issue with the Batmobile, not just in the games but in general.

Gotham is a very dense City, and its streets would definitely be filled with millions of people every day AND night, Its a CITY, look at new York, there are always people on the streets all hours of the night. Regardless of how crime ridden, and dangerous of a place it is, It would never be empty enough for batman to use the batmobile. Imagine the nightclubs, the bars, not to mention the traffic! He'd never be able to drive down a street fast enough for the Batmobile to even be worth it without constantly getting stuck in traffic. Can you imagine Batman in traffic???? its ridiculous, poeple would start snapping pics and gathering around and he would cause a scene literally EVERYWHERE he went. attracting all of that attention is not something thats in Batman's interest.

I know that its only a fictional world, and there are plenty of things that dont make sense in comic books, but ive never been able to suspend my disbelief on this. Its just too impractical.

'Batwing' has always and will always be the only mode of transport that i could ever imagine Batman actually being able to use effectively in such a place as Gotham. Much easier, faster and less noticeable, and it even makes more sense theatrically because it fly's like a BAT! (A 'bat-boat' could also work and maybe the bike to an extent)

Rant over ahaha sorry
la la la li la la di da di da di da
Arpeggios

Favourite Villain: the Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby M. Malone » Feb 10th, 2016, 4:03 pm

I think that the inclusion of any vehicles should find a happy medium between AK levels and AA levels. In AA, we saw the vehicles but had no gameplay interaction with them whatsoever. In AK the batmobile took over everything, and was too much.

If I were designing a Batman game, I would take a cue from Mass Effect and the Normandy. In Mass Effect, you can't control the Normandy, but it's essentially a character in its own right, because it plays heavily in the story and it's the crew's home and means of transportation. It's even upgradeable, which allows the player to have control over certain aspects of the design, and affects the accomplishment of certain parts of the story.

The same could be done for the Batmobile. The narrative of the story could be advanced while frequently employing the use of the car. If what I'm trying to describe seems hard to understand, let me just use Arkham Knight's setting as an example:

Think about every time Batman talked to Oracle through the holographic screen on his forearm. Now picture, as an alternative, these dialogues taking place inside the Batmobile while Batman is driving down the road. These would be cutscenes - you aren't controlling the vehicle. It is employed as a story setting rather than a playable gadget. In THOSE particular circumstances, you aren't losing any gameplay value to speak of, because when Batsy is talking to Oracle, you can't really do anything other than turn and walk anyhow. So being a cutscene shouldn't take anything away from gameplay. And think about how much more plausible it would be to change it that way. You wouldn't have people blowing up the forums (like myself) complaining about how ridiculous it is that Batman's walking around in the open talking to Barbara. It would feel more like Batman, and illustrates my argument that in many cases, it felt like Rocksteady went too futuristic with some of the technology in AK. Seemed better suited for a Beyond type of game rather than an Arkham game. But I digress... This feature would also leave in place the previously employed method of talking to Oracle when walking around, which was simply radio transmission.

Secondly, rather than controlling the Batmobile directly, they could still employ it as a gadget. But think about how much more impacting its inclusion would be at such moments as, say, when it sneak attacks Arkham Knight and his soldiers with rubber bullets at Ace Chemicals. Think about how awesome that would've been if you hadn't known it was coming!! Revealing that scene was a marketing decision, but my point is this: If the Batmobile wasn't billed as a separate playable character, and was instead used as a story device, they wouldn't have been compelled to release that footage. Instead, they force-fed us scene after scene of Batmobile gameplay, which took all of the surprise out of it and made it feel less Batman-ish.

The third way they could have used the car in a way that was meaningful but didn't require driving it: Detective Vision. What does one have to do with the other? Nothing as far as Rocksteady is concerned. But they could've linked the two together and used it to make gameplay and story seamless and more interesting. In the movie The Dark Knight, Batman has a detective vision that uses an incredible amount of processing power to make it work. In the Arkhamverse, Rocksteady has explained that Detective Vision is linked to the Batcomputer for the same purpose. But just as an idea, what if it was based on proximity to the car - the car being used as the processor, or at the very least, a necessary piggyback for the incredibly large amounts of transferred data? So the further away Batman gets from the car, the less reliable Detective Vision is. They certainly wouldn't want to overuse this element, but at a key part of the story, where the difficulty ramps up, they could employ a story reason as to why Batman is separated from the car, and forces him to abandon such a handicap entirely, or at least make it less clear. The Batmobile could also be upgraded in similar ways it is now, which would enhance certain capabilities and make certain parts of the game more or less difficult - just like in Mass Effect.

Those are just ideas as to how they could make the car an integral part of the game without forcing contrived story elements (Gotham is evacuated... AGAIN) to allow for its inclusion.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby HaHaHa » Feb 12th, 2016, 12:11 pm

In reality I don't think any game would get the combination of the Batmobile and a populated Gotham to everyone's liking. In my opinion the amount of work to make Gotham feel like a living city with cars/pedestrians like in GTA wouldn't be worth it. There are ways around it though like with Asylum and City where we're not in "Gotham" but you believe there's a breathing living city out there.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby smilex » Feb 23rd, 2016, 4:39 pm

You could get a game over/death screen when you hit a civilian. That could get annoying, but it makes you on your toes to avoid them.
smilex

Favourite Graphic Novel: \

Postby Laederlappen » Feb 27th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Let's say WBGM makes an AK "clone" with an Origins 2 story. Let's say they finally decide that the same ol' "everything-takes-place-in-one-night"-scenario is getting rather ridiculous and not every civilian goes to sleep at 9 pm.
I think it'd be best if they decided that the old asylum batmobile, that can't do all the fancy stuff the tank could, only would be drivable in certain heavier missions that are more linear and for the rest of the game you're given the batcycle/batpod which could give you an arsenal of new cool takedowns and different fun ways of traversing the landscape.

Plus, it'd look so awesome riding it with the cape flying and flapping behind you.
Laederlappen

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Return to General Discussion