Detailed video retrospective on the Batman Arkham series

Discuss the possibilities for "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the future of the Arkham series after Rocksteady Studios' swansong.

Re: Detailed video retrospective on the Batman Arkham series

Postby calebthebeest » Mar 31st, 2016, 9:24 pm

Very well done video. I never even thought about asylum in that way. I don't agree with absolutely everything, but for the most part I'm impressed.
calebthebeest

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby M. Malone » Apr 15th, 2016, 1:33 pm

I'm about halfway through the video. I'm really enjoying it and agree with most points so far. I honestly never saw some of the nuances of the story he mentions about Asylum and City. Makes me appreciate those games even more!
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby M. Malone » Apr 22nd, 2016, 10:28 pm

BeMan wrote:
M. Malone wrote:I'm about halfway through the video. I'm really enjoying it and agree with most points so far. I honestly never saw some of the nuances of the story he mentions about Asylum and City. Makes me appreciate those games even more!

From my experience there are two kinds of people who see Paul Dini stories: people who think he's a genius and adds a lot of subtleties and nuances and people who think Dini just crams as much stuff in as he wants to make the story look cool. I think it's better to be the former than the latter to truly get the most out of a Batman Arkham game.

No, I really respect Dini's work, mostly from the respect he gained during the animated series. I feel the story in Arkham Knight really took a dump without his collaboration.
M. Malone

Postby DatBat » Apr 25th, 2016, 3:46 pm

M. Malone wrote:
BeMan wrote:
M. Malone wrote:I'm about halfway through the video. I'm really enjoying it and agree with most points so far. I honestly never saw some of the nuances of the story he mentions about Asylum and City. Makes me appreciate those games even more!

From my experience there are two kinds of people who see Paul Dini stories: people who think he's a genius and adds a lot of subtleties and nuances and people who think Dini just crams as much stuff in as he wants to make the story look cool. I think it's better to be the former than the latter to truly get the most out of a Batman Arkham game.

No, I really respect Dini's work, mostly from the respect he gained during the animated series. I feel the story in Arkham Knight really took a dump without his collaboration.

I'm not the hugest Dini fan or anything, but I totally agree with you that without him Knight crashed and burned. Like, Arkham City's story was silly, but I didn't predict literally everything halfway through the game.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby M. Malone » Apr 26th, 2016, 10:27 pm

DatBat wrote:
M. Malone wrote:
BeMan wrote:

I'm not the hugest Dini fan or anything, but I totally agree with you that without him Knight crashed and burned. Like, Arkham City's story was silly, but I didn't predict literally everything halfway through the game.

With Arkham Knight, everything wasn't predicted halfway through the game, it was more like six months before release day :oldyella:
M. Malone

Postby gwoodsii » May 18th, 2016, 4:13 pm

I tried to watch it. But a little bit too much of "I liked it therefore it was better" for me
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul

Postby M. Malone » May 20th, 2016, 8:32 pm

gwoodsii wrote:I tried to watch it. But a little bit too much of "I liked it therefore it was better" for me

Isn't that they way it is with all of us?

You should give it a chance. He makes a lot of good points and insights. I don't agree with everything he said, but probably 90% of it I do.
M. Malone

Postby gwoodsii » May 20th, 2016, 11:55 pm

M. Malone wrote:
gwoodsii wrote:I tried to watch it. But a little bit too much of "I liked it therefore it was better" for me

Isn't that they way it is with all of us?

You should give it a chance. He makes a lot of good points and insights. I don't agree with everything he said, but probably 90% of it I do.

No just because I prefer A over B to me doesn't indicate that A is better. I prefer Batman Begins but I admit that The Dark Knight is a better actual movie for example.
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul

Return to General Discussion