What's Next for Rocksteady?

Discuss the possibilities for "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the future of the Arkham series after Rocksteady Studios' swansong.

What's Next for Rocksteady?

Postby Red_Robin » Sep 27th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Knight, Arkham VR.
Nine years and four Batman titles on from their first forays into DC Comics, Rocksteady Studios are saying goodbye to 'the big man'.

With their latest effort, Arkham VR, going gold this month and releasing along with the Playstation VR next month, Eurogamer asked Dax Ginn (Marketing Manager at Rocksteady)the obvious question: What next?"

Dax Ginn wrote:To be honest I don't really know. We're in a very enviable position where we have some time and space to decide what we're doing next. We can sit back and think what our dream game would be, and we have Warner Bros.' support to do that. I think we've proven that we're a hardworking team, we work well together, and we can really decide what's best creatively for our own destiny.

I think there's a little bit of sadness on the team. It feels like... breaking up? [The mood] is really split - there's a feeling in the office like, it's definitely time to do something else - we all accept that. But we all know Batman so well - we all feel comfortable in the Arkhamverse.

We're definitely letting go of that comfort blanket and putting ourselves in the position where whatever we do next is going to feel very different. There's always an anxiety associated with change and that's where we want to be. We want to feel uncomfortable because we want to make awesome stuff."

Now, it has seemed clear to some that Arkham VR hasn't been taking up everyone's time at the studio over the last year (especially since DLC for Arkham Knight only wrapped in January of this year), but Eurogamer confirm that just over 50% of the Rocksteady team have been working on the game. It stands to reason, then, that a significant amount of the staff have been prepping for the studio's next project for some time now.

Something different? Interesting. Perhaps a genre shift as well as a change in subject matter? I'd love to see Rocksteady edge more toward a traditional RPG.

What do you want to see next?

Source: Eurogamer
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: What's Next for Rocksteady?

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 27th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Something different? Interesting. Perhaps a genre shift as well as a change in subject matter? I'd love to see Rocksteady edge more toward a traditional RPG.

And rpg by Rockesteady would be nice. I´d love a game set in a realistic medieval setting by them, similar to Deliverance: Kingdom Come but with the fighting system of their Batman games.

Or another Dc game as some have speculated about already.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 28th, 2016, 12:20 am

After the calamity that was Arkham Knight and the poor response from RS, I really hope they drop the Arkham franchise like they said they would do and go for something new. I wouldn't mind another DC project but I don't think another RS Arkham game would go down very well.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby HaHaHa » Sep 28th, 2016, 7:59 am

I think possibly that Rocksteady as a studio may have moved on from Arkham Knight earlier than we expected to begin production on their new game with the responsibilities of Knight left to the "Arkham team" who worked on Knight's DLC, patches and Arkham VR. Remember this article http://kotaku.com/sources-warner-bros-knew-that-arkham-knight-pc-was-a-1714915219 where the source claims that Knight's delays were down to not getting the game working on console. If that's true, the game's content was probably finished in 2014.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby Remote Claw » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:47 am

If they do another DC game, I'd love to see Wonder Woman. However, I think some of the gameplay would be similar to the Arkham series. Plus, there's Dax's words about Rocksteady getting out of their comfort zone.

I think Superman would be interesting challenge for them.

It'll be interesting to see what they do if it's not DC related.
Remote Claw

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby Mani-Man » Sep 28th, 2016, 12:14 pm

It makes me really sad to see that they wont continue with Batman/Arkham.
Mainly because of the fact that despite everything, with Knight they created the best base for a perfect open world Batman game.
Its a shame that this will probably now dust away somewhere instead of being used.

Anyway, i dont have any expectations for Rocksteadys next game...not until its revealed.
Mani-Man

Postby M. Malone » Sep 28th, 2016, 2:09 pm

I don't want another medieval RPG to choose from - that genre is as crowded as it needs to be (no offense MaxSchreck). It would get them out of their comfort zone, sure, but is it really an opportunity to make something truly unique and memorable? Nope.

Being that they are owned by WB, there's still a very likely chance that they have to choose a WB intellectual property. Now of course Rocksteady could create their own IP which would become WB property, but let's not fool ourselves - RS has never been known for creating vastly original and memorable characters. They tried to convince us with The Arkham Knight, but we all know that was a lie at worst, misdirection at best.

So what would be more challenging, out of their comfort zone, look different, and still be a WB IP?

Superman.

I want to see Rocksteady resurrect Superman from video game oblivion like they did Batman.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 28th, 2016, 4:07 pm

M. Malone wrote:I don't want another medieval RPG to choose from - that genre is as crowded as it needs to be (no offense MaxSchreck). It would get them out of their comfort zone, sure, but is it really an opportunity to make something truly unique and memorable? Nope.

Being that they are owned by WB, there's still a very likely chance that they have to choose a WB intellectual property. Now of course Rocksteady could create their own IP which would become WB property, but let's not fool ourselves - RS has never been known for creating vastly original and memorable characters. They tried to convince us with The Arkham Knight, but we all know that was a lie at worst, misdirection at best.

So what would be more challenging, out of their comfort zone, look different, and still be a WB IP?

Superman.

I want to see Rocksteady resurrect Superman from video game oblivion like they did Batman.

I didn't know RS was owned by WB. Thats definitely interesting. In this case, the obvious suggestion would be another DC product. I'd be keeping my fingers crossed for a Flash game. I wonder if they'd ever make games connected to the DCEU since DC's animated division is now rumoured to be making animated films that occur within the cinematic universe.

Personally, if WB are the owners of RS, I think a game based on the world of Harry Potter would be extremely fun. RS worked so well to make a unique combat system for the Arkham games so I believe they could find a great way to utilise magic as a combat system. And with 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' coming out within the following months, I think people would get on well with that.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 28th, 2016, 4:12 pm

I don't want another medieval RPG to choose from - that genre is as crowded as it needs to be (no offense MaxSchreck). It would get them out of their comfort zone, sure, but is it really an opportunity to make something truly unique and memorable? Nope.

Well... I suppose you are right. But I would kill for a good viking game. Just one example. Yeah, there is Skyrim... and the new God of War, but I haven´t seen on yet that takes that time period seriously. Except Attila Total War maybe. But thats a strategy game and takes place before the viking period really started.

MaxSchreck

Rocksteady are finally done with batman games

Postby The man who laughs » Sep 28th, 2016, 11:12 pm

In an interview yesterday. Dax Ginn confirmed that rocksteady are officially done with batman games after Arkham VR, and that it felt like a break up.

We all knew that they were done but this I the final confirmation and the final nail in the coffin.
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Postby M. Malone » Sep 29th, 2016, 1:53 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

Well... I suppose you are right. But I would kill for a good viking game. Just one example. Yeah, there is Skyrim... and the new God of War, but I haven´t seen on yet that takes that time period seriously. Except Attila Total War maybe. But thats a strategy game and takes place before the viking period really started.

For Honor lets you play as a Viking, although I gather that there isn't much story involved. Purely combat it would appear.

@ Jordan: I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but you're certainly right in that it would be more unique than some other possibilities.

A Flash game would be cool, but I can't see a Flash game being made before Superman. Think about it, Superman is at the very top of the A-list DC characters. If WB were to dictate that Rocksteady has to choose a DC character, why would they go with anyone else? Admittedly, Superman might be the hardest character to make a good video game from, but if Rocksteady says "Nah, we're going to make Flash (or Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow, or whoever) instead," then they are basically saying "We aren't up to the challenge."

Flash would be hard too I think, but Flash isn't going to bring in the bucks the same way that Superman would. The world needs a good Superman game, just like it needed a good Batman game. Rocksteady delivered the goods before, I want to see if they are up to the challenge again.
M. Malone

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 29th, 2016, 5:40 pm

For Honor lets you play as a Viking, although I gather that there isn't much story involved. Purely combat it would appear.

Yeah, but like the ones from Skyrim and God of War they have little in common with their real world counterpart anymore.

There is a story mode though as far as I know. Something about a knight called Apollyon playing the various factions against each other. Didn´t sound that interesting. Alltough I find it cool that they picked the name of one of the more obscure demons mentioned in the Bible for the villain.

MaxSchreck

Postby M. Malone » Sep 29th, 2016, 5:49 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

Yeah, but like the ones from Skyrim and God of War they have little in common with their real world counterpart anymore.

There is a story mode though as far as I know. Something about a knight called Apollyon playing the various factions against each other. Didn´t sound that interesting. Alltough I find it cool that they picked the name of one of the more obscure demons mentioned in the Bible for the villain.

Yeah, sounds lame. Ultimately it's a fancy PvP game. I care more about story and so games like that don't interest me.

What about The Banner Saga? I know it's fantasy but it IS very deep into Viking lore. Might not be your style of game though - it's not mine.

Sorry everyone for going totally off-topic!
M. Malone

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 29th, 2016, 6:41 pm

I also prefer games with a good story. Really enjoy the Telltale Adventures.

The Banner Saga... yeah, I was very excited when they announced that. There was however something about the game that stopped me from buying it. Wasn´t it unfinished or something? The story also seemed to move forwards very slowly. But it also had some pretty cool gameplay elements. Like characters die based on your decisions and you can´t correct these kind of mistakes anymore. Maybe its worth another look.
And then there was that mod for Mount and Blade which allows you to basicly explore every place the Vikings went to.

Yeah, we totally went off topic. Sorry. But maybe we´ll still give people new ideas what Rockesteady could do :oldyella:

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 29th, 2016, 7:05 pm

M. Malone wrote:@ Jordan: I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but you're certainly right in that it would be more unique than some other possibilities.

A Flash game would be cool, but I can't see a Flash game being made before Superman. Think about it, Superman is at the very top of the A-list DC characters. If WB were to dictate that Rocksteady has to choose a DC character, why would they go with anyone else? Admittedly, Superman might be the hardest character to make a good video game from, but if Rocksteady says "Nah, we're going to make Flash (or Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow, or whoever) instead," then they are basically saying "We aren't up to the challenge."

Flash would be hard too I think, but Flash isn't going to bring in the bucks the same way that Superman would. The world needs a good Superman game, just like it needed a good Batman game. Rocksteady delivered the goods before, I want to see if they are up to the challenge again.

I love HP and would love a game but I can agree it wouldn't be for everyone. Although, Warner Bros also owns the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises too so it could be interesting to see them. I doubt they would touch either franchise but the possibility is pretty cool.

Personally, I'm not a Superman fan. He bores me a little. His villains are cool and varied which would be cool but I just think Flash would be far more entertaining. He has a great power set, great villains and RS could take some of those detective elements from the Arkham series and adopt them with Flash since Barry is a forensic scientist.
JordanT4021

Next

Return to General Discussion