What's Next for Rocksteady?

Discuss the possibilities for "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the future of the Arkham series after Rocksteady Studios' swansong.

Re: What's Next for Rocksteady?

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Sep 29th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Someone once suggested that RS make a James Bond game, and it's safe to say I got pretty moist.

Something like that would be right up their alley, and I personally would love that.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby M. Malone » Sep 29th, 2016, 9:57 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
M. Malone wrote:@ Jordan: I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but you're certainly right in that it would be more unique than some other possibilities.

A Flash game would be cool, but I can't see a Flash game being made before Superman. Think about it, Superman is at the very top of the A-list DC characters. If WB were to dictate that Rocksteady has to choose a DC character, why would they go with anyone else? Admittedly, Superman might be the hardest character to make a good video game from, but if Rocksteady says "Nah, we're going to make Flash (or Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow, or whoever) instead," then they are basically saying "We aren't up to the challenge."

Flash would be hard too I think, but Flash isn't going to bring in the bucks the same way that Superman would. The world needs a good Superman game, just like it needed a good Batman game. Rocksteady delivered the goods before, I want to see if they are up to the challenge again.

I love HP and would love a game but I can agree it wouldn't be for everyone. Although, Warner Bros also owns the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises too so it could be interesting to see them. I doubt they would touch either franchise but the possibility is pretty cool.

Personally, I'm not a Superman fan. He bores me a little. His villains are cool and varied which would be cool but I just think Flash would be far more entertaining. He has a great power set, great villains and RS could take some of those detective elements from the Arkham series and adopt them with Flash since Barry is a forensic scientist.

I understand about Superman. He bores a lot of people. That's why I think he's the perfect choice. Like, Batman, there's A LOT of material to work with, and strong characters as well. Not as strong as Batman's allies and rogues gallery, but strong nonetheless. I don't have a perfect story and plot to throw at you, but I've given a lot of thought to how gameplay could work, and I'm telling ya, it's totally doable.

-- Sep 29th, 2016, 3:59 pm --

JordanT4021 wrote:
M. Malone wrote:@ Jordan: I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but you're certainly right in that it would be more unique than some other possibilities.

A Flash game would be cool, but I can't see a Flash game being made before Superman. Think about it, Superman is at the very top of the A-list DC characters. If WB were to dictate that Rocksteady has to choose a DC character, why would they go with anyone else? Admittedly, Superman might be the hardest character to make a good video game from, but if Rocksteady says "Nah, we're going to make Flash (or Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow, or whoever) instead," then they are basically saying "We aren't up to the challenge."

Flash would be hard too I think, but Flash isn't going to bring in the bucks the same way that Superman would. The world needs a good Superman game, just like it needed a good Batman game. Rocksteady delivered the goods before, I want to see if they are up to the challenge again.

I love HP and would love a game but I can agree it wouldn't be for everyone. Although, Warner Bros also owns the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises too so it could be interesting to see them. I doubt they would touch either franchise but the possibility is pretty cool.

Personally, I'm not a Superman fan. He bores me a little. His villains are cool and varied which would be cool but I just think Flash would be far more entertaining. He has a great power set, great villains and RS could take some of those detective elements from the Arkham series and adopt them with Flash since Barry is a forensic scientist.

I understand about Superman. He bores a lot of people. That's why I think he's the perfect choice. Like, Batman, there's A LOT of material to work with, and strong characters as well. Not as strong as Batman's allies and rogues gallery, but strong nonetheless. I don't have a perfect story and plot to throw at you, but I've given a lot of thought to how gameplay could work, and I'm telling ya, it's totally doable.

-- Sep 29th, 2016, 3:59 pm --

MaxSchreck wrote:The Banner Saga... yeah, I was very excited when they announced that. There was however something about the game that stopped me from buying it. Wasn´t it unfinished or something? The story also seemed to move forwards very slowly. But it also had some pretty cool gameplay elements. Like characters die based on your decisions and you can´t correct these kind of mistakes anymore. Maybe its worth another look.
And then there was that mod for Mount and Blade which allows you to basicly explore every place the Vikings went to.

Was tempted with The Banner Saga myself but have never pulled the trigger. The tabletop/old school method of combat is just really not my thing. But I liked everything else I saw about it.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 30th, 2016, 12:43 am

M. Malone wrote:I understand about Superman. He bores a lot of people. That's why I think he's the perfect choice. Like, Batman, there's A LOT of material to work with, and strong characters as well. Not as strong as Batman's allies and rogues gallery, but strong nonetheless. I don't have a perfect story and plot to throw at you, but I've given a lot of thought to how gameplay could work, and I'm telling ya, it's totally doable.

I'm not sure. Batman worked because he's such a well liked and interesting hero, and even if you don't like Batman, his allies and rogues make up for that. If Superman bores a lot of people there wouldn't be much to fall back on. The gameplay and combat would have to be pretty amazing to get people to get behind it.

I don't know, I'm probably talking nonsense but I just think Flash is a much more entertaining character. His power range would be a marvel to play with. His speed, his ability to phase through things, his ability to conjure lightning and his super speed thinking would blow people's minds. The villains are equally powered. New 52 Rogues and other Iron Heights meta prisoners would make fantastic enemies and side missions.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby M. Malone » Sep 30th, 2016, 2:45 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
M. Malone wrote:I understand about Superman. He bores a lot of people. That's why I think he's the perfect choice. Like, Batman, there's A LOT of material to work with, and strong characters as well. Not as strong as Batman's allies and rogues gallery, but strong nonetheless. I don't have a perfect story and plot to throw at you, but I've given a lot of thought to how gameplay could work, and I'm telling ya, it's totally doable.

I'm not sure. Batman worked because he's such a well liked and interesting hero, and even if you don't like Batman, his allies and rogues make up for that. If Superman bores a lot of people there wouldn't be much to fall back on. The gameplay and combat would have to be pretty amazing to get people to get behind it.

I don't know, I'm probably talking nonsense but I just think Flash is a much more entertaining character. His power range would be a marvel to play with. His speed, his ability to phase through things, his ability to conjure lightning and his super speed thinking would blow people's minds. The villains are equally powered. New 52 Rogues and other Iron Heights meta prisoners would make fantastic enemies and side missions.

I just don't think The Flash is as relevant. Superman is boring to people because he's taken a back seat to Batman. But The Flash is a much lesser known character than Superman. While either game would likely be purchased by comic book fans, Superman would have a much broader appeal to gamers in general. I just don't see a Flash game being as financially successful as Superman.

Both would be equally challenging to make - you have two characters who need compelling gameplay despite being significantly overpowered than most enemies. But challenges aside, I think Superman would offer a much more varied experience. He can go nearly as fast as The Flash, but also has cold breath, heat vision, super strength, flight, etc.. He's also capable of easily traveling to other worlds. That factor alone would make gameplay a little more interesting. Would give the developers an opportunity to delve into the fantasy realm with locations.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Red_Robin » Sep 30th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Batman works so well for the Arkham games in particular because Rocksteady understood what to play on. Here's an awesome character, with 70 years of history to play on, who can be really powerful, but can also be taken down with a shotgun blast. The vulnerability is essential.
With Superman, your health meter would have to be related to the city/world/mission ala the Superman Returns game. He's too powerful to feel that vulnerability himself.
However, Green Lantern would provide an interesting protagonist for a AAA game (yes, I know that he had Rise of the Manhunters, and yes, that game was pretty fun despite being very basic), as his willpower gets used up by the oncoming attacks, you reveal the soft human inside the "universe's greatest weapon". The versatility of ring constructs lends itself pretty well to videogame combat too.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Previous

Return to General Discussion