DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby shadow » Feb 5th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Batman Rebirth is a big disappointment, sadly.

Superman Rebirth however, is really, really good.
shadow

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby Dick » Feb 12th, 2017, 7:23 pm

All I want is a Robin series with the batkids rooming together and getting up to shenanigans. The scene is Batman #16 was great. More please.
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby MaxSchreck » Feb 12th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Dick wrote:All I want is a Robin series with the batkids rooming together and getting up to shenanigans. The scene is Batman #16 was great. More please.

Yeah, a Robin series would be great. It should also sell enough for it to be profitable for Dc considering how it would attract several Robin fandoms. Why hasn't anyone made it happen, yet?

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Mar 1st, 2017, 11:21 am

So, how do people feel about the current storys in the DC Universe?

Im quite enjoying what i read and i want to give some series a new chance, Red hood and the outlaws, suicide squad, green arrow and so on.

Wonder Woman is a bit slow imo somehow, dont really know why i feel this way...but otherwise its good.
Detective Comics is quite nice with the whole premise.
Batmans current story with Bane is really good, its been a while since we had a nice bane story i think.
All Star Batman gets a bit better now, i wasnt a fan of it at the start but im getting there.
Superman i stopped at issue 11...but i realized that i miss is a bit so i will catch up.

Other than that i have to look up what currently is running and what is good according to some.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 1st, 2017, 12:11 pm

So, how do people feel about the current storys in the DC Universe?

Im quite enjoying what i read and i want to give some series a new chance, Red hood and the outlaws, suicide squad, green arrow and so on.

Wonder Woman is a bit slow imo somehow, dont really know why i feel this way...but otherwise its good.
Detective Comics is quite nice with the whole premise.
Batmans current story with Bane is really good, its been a while since we had a nice bane story i think.
All Star Batman gets a bit better now, i wasnt a fan of it at the start but im getting there.
Superman i stopped at issue 11...but i realized that i miss is a bit so i will catch up.

Other than that i have to look up what currently is running and what is good according to some.

All in all I am not enjoying Rebirth that much. Teen Titans and Super Sons is fun but the Batbooks really aren´t that great. Look at Scott Snyders treatment of the Robins for example. I am looking forwards to reading the Nightwing/Robin crossover, but the Flash/Batman one is going to continue the confrontation with the Watchmen that is likey going to suck like the rest of the events that Dc has produced since Flashpoint. JLA is fine, though and I am saving WW for when there is really nothing good to read anymore.

MaxSchreck

Postby DarkFlux » Mar 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

Ive dropped all the Rebirth books at this point.
No mark against their quality (was enjoying Wonder Woman, Superman & Deathstroke in particular) but the double shipping killed it for me. Would much rather give that money to Image.

I did, however checkout The Wild Storm #1 which i liked a lot. So imma stick with that.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby JordanT4021 » Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:52 pm

I haven't really found a series I'm totally into. Titan Hunt was really interesting but the Titans series is really generic and disappointing so I've dropped it. Green Arrow is great but I've been collecting trades of them and the next one doesn't come out until months away. I was excited for Trinity because Ivy was supposed to be the villain but they've kind of squandered the chance to do something new and they've relied on the same old "longing mother" storyline which I'm frankly bored of for the character.

I wonder if sales are still good for DC at this point because I've heard a couple of people loosing interest.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 4th, 2017, 12:30 am

JordanT4021 wrote:I haven't really found a series I'm totally into. Titan Hunt was really interesting but the Titans series is really generic and disappointing so I've dropped it. Green Arrow is great but I've been collecting trades of them and the next one doesn't come out until months away. I was excited for Trinity because Ivy was supposed to be the villain but they've kind of squandered the chance to do something new and they've relied on the same old "longing mother" storyline which I'm frankly bored of for the character.

I wonder if sales are still good for DC at this point because I've heard a couple of people loosing interest.

That would interest me, too. Would be funny if Marvel overtakes Dc again. I´ve heard some people praising Rebirth and saying Marvel gets lower sales because of their "Social Justice agenda".

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Mar 4th, 2017, 11:50 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:I haven't really found a series I'm totally into. Titan Hunt was really interesting but the Titans series is really generic and disappointing so I've dropped it. Green Arrow is great but I've been collecting trades of them and the next one doesn't come out until months away. I was excited for Trinity because Ivy was supposed to be the villain but they've kind of squandered the chance to do something new and they've relied on the same old "longing mother" storyline which I'm frankly bored of for the character.

That would interest me, too. Would be funny if Marvel overtakes Dc again. I´ve heard some people praising Rebirth and saying Marvel gets lower sales because of their "Social Justice agenda".

I dont know how reliable this is, but take a look.
[url[http://dccomicsnews.com/2017/03/04/dc-reaches-sales-parity-with-marvel-for-february-2017/[/url]

Im so behind on what Marvel does currentyl in the comics...so very far, i think early 2016 was the last marvel comic i read.
That reminds me that im in general very behind in terms of comics from all around, i need to start to get up to date again.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 5th, 2017, 12:45 am

Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

I dont know how reliable this is, but take a look.
[url[http://dccomicsnews.com/2017/03/04/dc-reaches-sales-parity-with-marvel-for-february-2017/[/url]

Im so behind on what Marvel does currentyl in the comics...so very far, i think early 2016 was the last marvel comic i read.
That reminds me that im in general very behind in terms of comics from all around, i need to start to get up to date again.

Thanks.

Um, so Dc might earn as much money as Marvel this month??

Setting aside TWD #163, the Top 10 regular comics books for February 2017 looks like this:

1. STAR WARS: DARTH MAUL #1 (Marvel)
2. BATMAN #16 (DC)
3. BATMAN #17 (DC)
4. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 (DC)
5. SUPER SONS #1 (DC)
6. THE WALKING DEAD #164 (Image)
7. ALL-STAR BATMAN #7 (DC)
8. STAR WARS #28 (Marvel)
9. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: REBIRTH #1 (DC)
10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #14 (DC)

Hey, Super Sons is rank 5. Thats good news at least. Go Jon and Damian! :oldyella:

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Mar 5th, 2017, 1:02 am

I've also heard that DC has been dominating top weekly sales lately. Its quite impressive.

I haven't been keeping tabs on much of what Marvel's been up to comic wise but I've been reading Scarlet Witch and Elektra and I'm really impressed. Not to mention the 2016 Vision series which made me question my entire life.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 5th, 2017, 11:10 am

I haven't been keeping tabs on much of what Marvel's been up to comic wise but I've been reading Scarlet Witch and Elektra and I'm really impressed. Not to mention the 2016 Vision series which made me question my entire life.

Haven´t finished reading the Vision series, but I remember being very impressed by it. Tom King rather dissapointed me in Rebirth, though. His work on Batman isn´t nearly as good.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Mar 6th, 2017, 12:29 am

MaxSchreck wrote:

Haven´t finished reading the Vision series, but I remember being very impressed by it. Tom King rather dissapointed me in Rebirth, though. His work on Batman isn´t nearly as good.

The Vision is super good and strangely emotional. It's disappointing Tom King couldn't continue that success with Batman, although that brief two issue Catwoman storyline was pretty good imo.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 7th, 2017, 11:59 am

I coincidentally found this article today which adresses my main concern about Rebirth and how the Dc Universe will develop. From the moment it had been announced I´ve hated the idea of a Watchmen Dc crossover due to the prospect of Geoff Johns giving Watchmen and fans the blame for the direction the Dc Universe has taken. Well, he describes it somewhat differently:

Johns believes – correctly so – that the core message of Watchmen was grossly misunderstood and manipulated for decades following its release. The comic, Johns believes, was a warning not to become disillusioned with the values that have defined DC from the beginning: justice, legacies, epic storytelling, love. Watchmen was not an instruction manual for writing contemporary hero comics.

Readers, and Johns himself, believe the creators of the ‘New 52’ comics, in part incorrectly inspired by what they thought was a manifesto in Watchmen, are to blame for the loss of many beloved storylines and distinctive tones across DC’s pantheon. The ‘New 52’, and the direction DC films have gone in lately, have homogenized DC’s characters as grim spectacles, punching up giant foes and not feeling anything in particular for their teammates. Johns, and DC, have made the stunning choice to embody that extra-textual threat in Dr. Manhattan, who will be the literal foe for Batman and the rest of DC’s heroes, moving forward. “I promise it’s not going to be Batman and company punching Dr. Manhattan a bunch of times. That’s not how you combat something like this,” Johns says, laughing.

First of all, I am not sure if Watchmen was intended as a warning. Sure, there is a message against cynicism but I somewhat doubt Moore was greatly concerned about preserving the values that have defined Dc, considering his opinion of superheroes.
Secondly, Johns says "the creators of the New 52 are to blame for the state the Dcu had been in. He neglects to mention his own role in the development which probably started as early as his creation of Green Lantern Rebirth with darkened the GL Mythos significantly.
And thirdly he promises the crossover won´t be some big "POW you" to readers and Moore, which to be honest, doesn´t conform to how I read the scene with Pandora in Rebirth. I am only going to believe he´ll treat Moores work with respect when I see it and Dc has already been trying to take advantage of his creations in Before Watchmen. I still think this is going to be like all the other Events Geoff Johns had control over.

https://www.inverse.com/article/15992-d ... ost-heroes

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Apr 25th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Slowly getting up to date with the rebirth comics, i even plan to read batman beyond...since i heard rumours that Bruce is back as Batman there.

Its a lot to take in, but i quite enjoy it.
I just finished Aquaman 21 and i really have to say that i enjoyed all 21 issues so far.
Im always a fan who likes to see the characters as more than "just" superheroes, in this case Arthur as King and all that...that gives the characters always more depth and importance to me...it shows that those characters are more and what they do involve "normal" people too.

The "war" arc was very interesting, even though sometimes you felt like people are way dumber than they should be. :oldyella:

Aquaman Rebirth Vol 1-2(i think): 8/10

One thing that throws me off as a nitpick, is aquamans look.
While the art is for the most part good, i just was never a fan of this look...it still is too goofy for my liking.
There are panels and all where he looks so good and cool, but others were he just feels like a comedy character.
A rougher look, a more armoured costume design would help i think...but then, im baised and think Jason Momoa looks too cool as Aquaman. :oldyella:

The Next one im reading is Superman, im really excited for that because i wanted to read good superman stuff for years, but the new 52 has kicked me down on that with a unlikeable superman to me(and creepy superman/wonder woman vibes) :oldyella:
Mani-Man

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion