DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 25th, 2017, 2:30 pm

The Next one im reading is Superman, im really excited for that because i wanted to read good superman stuff for years, but the new 52 has kicked me down on that with a unlikeable superman to me(and creepy superman/wonder woman vibes) :oldyella:

I think you are going to like Superman. Jon is a great addition to the cast ^^

Haha, also not a fan of Superman/Wonder Woman? :oldyella:

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Apr 25th, 2017, 3:47 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
The Next one im reading is Superman, im really excited for that because i wanted to read good superman stuff for years, but the new 52 has kicked me down on that with a unlikeable superman to me(and creepy superman/wonder woman vibes) :oldyella:

I remember reading the first 3-4 issues of it and being really surprised how good it was, but there was just too much stuff going on everywhere so i had to drop it.
But now im ready for Superman and Action Comics, what i have seen from Jon is really good...he grew onto me a bit faster than Damian but not lesser, so im excited for super sons as well.

Never...superman/wonder woman is a absolut No Go for me...thats why i couldnt get into the justice league, wonder woman or Superman comis during the new 52 without checking if SM/WW is even mentioned before reading it.
SM/WW is the thing where the "Still a better love story than twilight" meme is wrong. :oldyella:
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 25th, 2017, 9:05 pm

:oldyella:
Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
The Next one im reading is Superman, im really excited for that because i wanted to read good superman stuff for years, but the new 52 has kicked me down on that with a unlikeable superman to me(and creepy superman/wonder woman vibes)

I remember reading the first 3-4 issues of it and being really surprised how good it was, but there was just too much stuff going on everywhere so i had to drop it.
But now im ready for Superman and Action Comics, what i have seen from Jon is really good...he grew onto me a bit faster than Damian but not lesser, so im excited for super sons as well.

Never...superman/wonder woman is a absolut No Go for me...thats why i couldnt get into the justice league, wonder woman or Superman comis during the new 52 without checking if SM/WW is even mentioned before reading it.
SM/WW is the thing where the "Still a better love story than twilight" meme is wrong.

Yeah, Jon is a bit more... uncomplicated. I still prefer Damian but they are great as the junior version of the World´s Finest.

:oldyella: What do you think about BM/WW?

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Apr 25th, 2017, 11:27 pm

MaxSchreck wrote::oldyella:
Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
The Next one im reading is Superman, im really excited for that because i wanted to read good superman stuff for years, but the new 52 has kicked me down on that with a unlikeable superman to me(and creepy superman/wonder woman vibes)

SM/WW is the thing where the "Still a better love story than twilight" meme is wrong.

Yeah, Jon is a bit more... uncomplicated. I still prefer Damian but they are great as the junior version of the World´s Finest.

:oldyella: What do you think about BM/WW?

I ship the hell out of WonderBat, the more the better.
I have a dozen of WonderBat videos in my playlists and have read hundreds of WonderBat FanFiction,,,but it will never be enough.:D

Jon is easier to like right from the start, but that is how it was supposed to be...so its okay.
Damian and Jon work fantastic, as characters on their own, together or as the sons of the worlds finest.

The crazy thing is, i never was a fan of those future story or when others take the mantle of someone...to me bruce wayne is the only batman, clark kent the only superman and so on.
But ever since jon and Damian showed up, i found myself actually being okay with the idea that those two might one day be the future Batman and Superman.
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » May 14th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I've tried getting my hands into as many Rebirth series as I can but ultimately, I've been left disappointed.

Suicide Squad and Green Arrow are by far my favourites. Story and art wise. Jim Lee and Otto Schmidt are incredible artists.

Titans hunt really impressed me so I thought I'd really enjoy the Titans series, but it was so boring. It may as well have been called Flash because it revolves around Wally West wayyyyy too much. Just a generic and lacklustre story.

Wonder Woman had me hyped. Apart from New 52 WW (which I'm obsessed with) I haven't followed any other of her series, but I have heard that Greg Rucka was an incredible WW writer. I never got that. The series was pretty generic with nothing really interesting to offer up. The New 52 series pulled me in from the very first issue in a way that the Rebirth series hasn't managed to do.

I read the Rogues arc of the current Flash series and was so disappointed by the backtracking of the Rogues progression thought out the New 52. The story was weak and fell apart. The only thing that worked for me was Golden Glider attempting to murder the Flash in the last issue.

The Batman series are just okay. I'm still currently reading it but I expected more from Tom King after The Vision series he did for Marvel. Detective comics, again, is nothing inspiring. The latest arc totally wastes Lady Shiva, which is so disappointing after setting her up really well. I was excited for Trinity because I'm a huge Poison Ivy fan, but then I heard they repeated that 'longing mother' storyline they pull out time and time again and I lost interest.

As for Green Lanterns, utter garbage. Its what I'd call Tumblr bating. #relatable dialogue and a ridiculous portrayal of mental health made it so difficult to read. I never finished the first volume and I severely doubt I will. Speaking of trash, I read the Batgirl issue featuring Poison Ivy and I have never been more let down by an Ivy story in all my life.

Still waiting to read the Birds of Prey but I'm not overly keen on the aged down versions of these female heroes. I don't think its necessary at all.

Anyway, enough complaining. If anyone has any good series from Rebirth I should check out, please let me know.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby MaxSchreck » May 15th, 2017, 5:15 am

Anyway, enough complaining. If anyone has any good series from Rebirth I should check out, please let me know.

I would recommend Super Sons. Teen Titans is also good in my opinion, alltough I could be a bit biased because of Damian.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » May 15th, 2017, 12:48 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

I would recommend Super Sons. Teen Titans is also good in my opinion, alltough I could be a bit biased because of Damian.

Super sons is good yeah, so are the superman comics from what i have read so far(superman and action comics), teen titans...yeah even though i didnt like how they made Bruce look in them, but overall pretty good.
I heard Deathstroke is even nominated for an award, thats why i need to give it a chance when i have time.

When it comes to batman i get the feeling that it is overall almost a bit "too much" batman to really get into it.
You have all star batman, batman, detective comics, justice league, justice league of america has him in it...and god know what else.
I dont have a problem with it but i can see why people might not be too much into it.

Aquaman is damn good.

Wonder Woman is really a bit of a hit and a miss, i feel like it has a weird pacing and storytelling.

Other than that, i didnt had the time yet to go through all the series of rebirth.
Mani-Man

Postby Dick » May 15th, 2017, 1:29 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:Anyway, enough complaining. If anyone has any good series from Rebirth I should check out, please let me know.

Deathstroke by far, Superwoman and The Flash are great too. I've dropped over 15 Rebirth books but those 3 are the only ones I still consider remotely good. I read RHaTO too but it's pretty crap. I'm weak to anything Red Hood tho i cri
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby JordanT4021 » May 15th, 2017, 2:01 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

I'm not a huge Damian fan (I'm sure that's blasphemy to you :oldyella:) but I think I'll give them a look at. I don't like when DC age down there heroes which they appear to have done with Raven and Beast Boy, but hey at this point I'll try anything.

Dick wrote:JordanT4021 wrote:

Deathstroke by far, Superwoman and The Flash are great too. I've dropped over 15 Rebirth books but those 3 are the only ones I still consider remotely good. I read RHaTO too but it's pretty crap. I'm weak to anything Red Hood tho i cri

I've heard Deathstroke is really good too, I'll definitely pick it up. Not heard much on the Superwoman front though. 15 series??? Damn, what were they?

All in all it seems Rebirth has kind of been a disappointment.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » May 15th, 2017, 7:13 pm

I'm not a huge Damian fan (I'm sure that's blasphemy to you ) but I think I'll give them a look at. I don't like when DC age down there heroes which they appear to have done with Raven and Beast Boy, but hey at this point I'll try anything.

Basphemy!! :I I love Raven´s new design. And being de-aged works for Beast Boy if you ask me. I really liked the YJ Version of the character and his relationship with Miss Martian.

MaxSchreck

Postby Dick » May 16th, 2017, 6:14 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
Dick wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:Anyway, enough complaining. If anyone has any good series from Rebirth I should check out, please let me know.

I've heard Deathstroke is really good too, I'll definitely pick it up. Not heard much on the Superwoman front though. 15 series??? Damn, what were they?

All in all it seems Rebirth has kind of been a disappointment.

I started reading pretty much all of the titles, but it was either too much of a hassle to read them all, it was too expensive or they just ended up being crap.

Why on earth did they think it was a good idea to ship most of the titles out fortnightly? That's one of the reasons I dropped the majority of them.
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby JordanT4021 » May 17th, 2017, 6:29 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:Basphemy!! :I I love Raven´s new design. And being de-aged works for Beast Boy if you ask me. I really liked the YJ Version of the character and his relationship with Miss Martian.

I dunno, I feel the same way about Raven as I do about Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. I've never been a huge Beast Boy fan but I liked him in YJ too.

Dick wrote:I started reading pretty much all of the titles, but it was either too much of a hassle to read them all, it was too expensive or they just ended up being crap.

Why on earth did they think it was a good idea to ship most of the titles out fortnightly? That's one of the reasons I dropped the majority of them.

I tried reading a lot of Rebirth too when it first came out but I just couldn't find a good series to continue with. Marvel isn't much better though. Why is it so hard to find a good, consistent series?
JordanT4021

Postby DarkFlux » May 18th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Cus you aint reading books from Image, Dark Horse or Valiant? :P
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 1st, 2017, 11:19 pm

DarkFlux wrote:Cus you aint reading books from Image, Dark Horse or Valiant? :P

Haha, I ocassionaly take a look at Valiant stuff. I like how many of their stories deal with history in one way or the other.

---

Has anyone read the Titans / Teen Titans crossover? :D

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jun 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Pretty disappointed with Greg Rucka. New 52 Wonder Woman has been completely undone and apparently none of the characters we met were real. I find that pretty disrespectful to Azzarello and Chiang who wrote that amazing series. Now amazing new characters like Strife, Hera, Hermes, Zola and First Born will likely never be seen again as we know them.

Strife was always my favourite from the series so I'm super sad they've pretty much write her out of existence. I won't be continuing reading this rebirth series anymore.
JordanT4021

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion