DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 6th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Batman 26 was okay, the storyline would have potential.
But now im more convinced that i will drop Batman after this arc.
Its sad since i kept going with batman for years, to see my interest drop so fast is something i thought would never happen.
The Art is fantastic, but thats it.

A writer that writes for batman and cant get Batman/Bruce right...that is not a good thing.
King can write the villians, so he would be better off with a series that focuses on them...but his Batman/Bruce is not likeable at all.

Justice League starts to really interest me, i like that it feels more like the cartoon.
The Characters interact nicely and you get the idea why they are considered Heroes.
Loved Meras role and all, its a cool idea to have her interact more with the League.

Superman was also good as always, Jon plays a big part in it being good.
I really like that a lot of the focus is on "teaching" Jon becoming a hero.

I like Green Arrows arc, and the art is pretty neat.
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 6th, 2017, 1:29 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
Yeah first issue wasn't anything special. And here was me getting excited for once. I'll still read on to see what Pam does.

I can´t read Tom King´s Batman at all... already gave up during I am Suicide. He basicly turned Bruce from a tragic hero into a troubled teenager and the dialogue, action and art don´t help making the poor ideas any better.

Yeah I've really struggled getting into it. I honestly couldn't care less about Gotham Girl or Duke Thomas and I find some of the characterisation bizarre.

This second issue of War of Jokes and Riddles is again nothing special. Poison Ivy shows up to kill a couple thugs while the Riddler rambles to her. This better pick up steam fast or I'll lose interest.

Mani-Man wrote:Batman 26 was okay, the storyline would have potential.
But now im more convinced that i will drop Batman after this arc.
Its sad since i kept going with batman for years, to see my interest drop so fast is something i thought would never happen.
The Art is fantastic, but thats it.

A writer that writes for batman and cant get Batman/Bruce right...that is not a good thing.
King can write the villians, so he would be better off with a series that focuses on them...but his Batman/Bruce is not likeable at all.

Justice League starts to really interest me, i like that it feels more like the cartoon.
The Characters interact nicely and you get the idea why they are considered Heroes.
Loved Meras role and all, its a cool idea to have her interact more with the League.

Superman was also good as always, Jon plays a big part in it being good.
I really like that a lot of the focus is on "teaching" Jon becoming a hero.

I like Green Arrows arc, and the art is pretty neat.

Agreed. The art by Mikel Janin and Otto Schmidt for Batman and Green arrow is incredible.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 7th, 2017, 1:25 am

Yeah I've really struggled getting into it. I honestly couldn't care less about Gotham Girl or Duke Thomas and I find some of the characterisation bizarre.

I would even say that I like Selina a lot less now... The last time I really enjoyed a story featuring Catwoman outside of fanfiction was during Arkahm City (and maybe Knight) as far as I remember.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 7th, 2017, 9:19 am

MaxSchreck wrote:

I would even say that I like Selina a lot less now... The last time I really enjoyed a story featuring Catwoman outside of fanfiction was during Arkahm City (and maybe Knight) as far as I remember.

Oh god, that just hit me.
I really cant remember the last time i really enjoyed Catwoman in the last few years when it comes to her being featured in comics.
Arkham City really feels like the last time to me that i overall liked her being written.
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 17th, 2017, 11:41 pm

^ Wow, I had to really think about that too. I genuinely can't come up with a memorable Catwoman moment in recent years apart from Arkham City. Even the Arkham Knight and Injustice 2 versions are a little disappointing.

-- Jul 17th, 2017, 11:08 pm --

http://ew.com/books/2017/07/06/gotham-and-riverdale-to-collide-in-harley-ivy-meet-betty-veronica/
WTF is this??? I am so done with Amanda Connor's Poison Ivy. She has completely warped her character into something I have no interest in. Why on earth is anyone at DC allowing this.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 18th, 2017, 10:09 am

JordanT4021 wrote:^ Wow, I had to really think about that too. I genuinely can't come up with a memorable Catwoman moment in recent years apart from Arkham City. Even the Arkham Knight and Injustice 2 versions are a little disappointing.

-- Jul 17th, 2017, 11:08 pm --

http://ew.com/books/2017/07/06/gotham-and-riverdale-to-collide-in-harley-ivy-meet-betty-veronica/
WTF is this??? I am so done with Amanda Connor's Poison Ivy. She has completely warped her character into something I have no interest in. Why on earth is anyone at DC allowing this.

Oh man, I hate so much what they´ve done to Harley. I guess it´s great that she is a more independant character now than when she was just Jokers henchwench, buuut at the same time there were like no consequences for all the shitty stuff she has done in his name. Which sort of sucks. Reminds me of the cliche in which the female criminal is just comitting crimes because she is manipulated by a man... it kinda undermines her own agency when you think about it.

---

Also, according to the recent solicits Batman will go on some kind of quest for enlightenment motivated by his courting of Catwoman. Problem is the rest of the Batfamily doesn´t understand him and is "standing in his way". That sounds exactly like what I´ve been worried about these past weeks. Selina is driving a wedge between Bruce and his kids! I mean, the batfamily is meant to support Bruce. If Catwoman know fulfills that function instead of you know... being a villain, I guess its only natural that Robin and co become a mere annoyance for Bruce. Which sucks even more when you consider that Thomas recently asked Bruce to take better care for his family :lol: But I am not sure King realizes the contradiction between what Batman is supposed to do and this sort of selfish behaviour he is starting to display. *sight*

---

But hey, Emiko and Damian are going to meet in Teen Titans. This should better be good...

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 19th, 2017, 9:18 am

MaxSchreck wrote:Also, according to the recent solicits Batman will go on some kind of quest for enlightenment motivated by his courting of Catwoman. Problem is the rest of the Batfamily doesn´t understand him and is "standing in his way". That sounds exactly like what I´ve been worried about these past weeks. Selina is driving a wedge between Bruce and his kids! I mean, the batfamily is meant to support Bruce. If Catwoman know fulfills that function instead of you know... being a villain, I guess its only natural that Robin and co become a mere annoyance for Bruce. Which sucks even more when you consider that Thomas recently asked Bruce to take better care for his family :lol: But I am not sure King realizes the contradiction between what Batman is supposed to do and this sort of selfish behaviour he is starting to display. *sight*

---

But hey, Emiko and Damian are going to meet in Teen Titans. This should better be good...

Yeah i just read it...i fear the worst.
I assume he will find a way to justify his awful written batman/bruce and instead makes the family look bad and those who are wrong.
Dont even want to think about the whole catwoman thing...it gives me headache.
I wished someone would get Batman away from Kings hands, someone who gets the character could have done great things especially with the button storyline.

Batman starts to become what Superman was for the new 52 i fear. :oldyella:
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 19th, 2017, 10:32 am

Batman starts to become what Superman was for the new 52 i fear.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you are completly right :lol:

And espacially the batfamily is suffering from this. Damian has been pretty much isolated, Stephanie is some kind of villain...and now this enlightment crap.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 19th, 2017, 10:05 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:Oh man, I hate so much what they´ve done to Harley. I guess it´s great that she is a more independant character now than when she was just Jokers henchwench, buuut at the same time there were like no consequences for all the shitty stuff she has done in his name. Which sort of sucks. Reminds me of the cliche in which the female criminal is just comitting crimes because she is manipulated by a man... it kinda undermines her own agency when you think about it.

I agree. Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti aren't good writers in my opinion. A child would struggle to find this enjoyable. The obvious tumblr bating with the Harley and Ivy relationship is not tasteful either, they aren't even confirmed as a real couple, just friends who occasionally have sex. That's not representation, its just fear of going the full mile. They've totally butchered both characters and I cant wait until they no longer write the series or any other Harley series for that matter.
JordanT4021

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 21st, 2017, 10:07 pm

When it comes to Ivy, Harley, Harley/Ivy...im constantly thorn as hell.

Sometimes i like what they do with Ivy, the way they give Harley a complete new direction and the whole Ivy/harley relationship...but other times i hate it so much because it feels extremely forced.

I liked Ivy in Snyders all star batman, when i re-read it i didnt like it at all.
Harleys new direction is not one i like to begin with, i dropped her series after 3 issues...too much forced deadpooling to me.
But i like that they have made her more than just jokers sidekick.

I dont know, im so unsure where i want those two characters to stand on their own and with each other.

Batman 27 continues to be artisticly fanatstic...i really love the art of it.
But the writing cant keep up with the art.

Aquaman is fantastic again...i cant praise the rebirth aquaman comics enough.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 21st, 2017, 10:22 pm

So, Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham are goign to make Arkham Asylum 2 ^^ And even more amazingly it is apparently set in the 666 Batman universe. That could be a lot of fun :) Espacially for fans of a certain Robin...

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 21st, 2017, 10:40 pm

Mani-Man wrote:When it comes to Ivy, Harley, Harley/Ivy...im constantly thorn as hell.

Sometimes i like what they do with Ivy, the way they give Harley a complete new direction and the whole Ivy/harley relationship...but other times i hate it so much because it feels extremely forced.

I liked Ivy in Snyders all star batman, when i re-read it i didnt like it at all.
Harleys new direction is not one i like to begin with, i dropped her series after 3 issues...too much forced deadpooling to me.
But i like that they have made her more than just jokers sidekick.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm really not sure the last time I was happy with how Poison Ivy was depicted. Her Forever Evil issue was really good and she worked well as a wildcard in the Birds of Prey but a part from that, there hasn't been much.

I love that Harley is independent too, I just wish they'd be more decisive with how they write her. In Suicide Squad she's a sadistic antihero who enjoys carnage, but in her solo series she's an over excited child.

MaxSchreck wrote:So, Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham are goign to make Arkham Asylum 2 ^^ And even more amazingly it is apparently set in the 666 Batman universe. That could be a lot of fun :) Espacially for fans of a certain Robin...

I'm excited for this too. The original was so fucked up. I want to know which Batman villains they'll paint in a horrific light this time.
JordanT4021

Postby DarkFlux » Jul 23rd, 2017, 4:19 pm

Any recs for DCs current output?
I fell away from DC shortly into Rebirth, not so much for lack of quality but more due to double shipping, but the Comixology BOGOF sale is tempting me back.

Im planning on jumping into Aquaman with the Sejic issues. Anything you guys have been digging?
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 23rd, 2017, 4:49 pm

Jesus, i have lost track on what is about to come for DC Comics, SDCC has lost me down the line.
A New Arkham Asylum set in batman 666 universe....hell yeah
Saw a picture of Snyders Dark Knights...they look really creepy and cool, i like Metal so far.
White Knight or so will be a story with Joker as the "hero"? Im interested in that.

Other than that i have lost track on things, i just heard that Miller wants to do Superman year one...eugh.
Yeah the guy that clearly dislikes Superman does his own year one version...just what we need. >:(

DarkFlux wrote:Any recs for DCs current output?
I fell away from DC shortly into Rebirth, not so much for lack of quality but more due to double shipping, but the Comixology BOGOF sale is tempting me back.

Im planning on jumping into Aquaman with the Sejic issues. Anything you guys have been digging?

Hm, im quite happy with what the pull out since Rebirth i have to say.
Aquaman is awesome, the whole run so far is pretty strong if not the strongest in DC today.
I like the Green Arrow books too, they are nicely drawn and i just love the team up with Dinah/Ollie.
Super sons should be a no brainer, just fantastic.
Superman and Action Comics are also something i try to be up to date.
Detective Comics imo currently the only real Batman book that i can recomend, all star batman is a bit messy to me and Kings run on Batman is overall not good.
Wonder Woman is okay but i havent found a story that really captures my interest.
Deathstroke is not my beer but its not bad.
Justice League is a bit of a hit and miss from time to time, but i do find it enjoyable.

Other than that i didnt had the time to look into the other Rebirth comics, The Flash is next on my list...but overall the only series i dropped so far is Harley Quinn.
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 23rd, 2017, 5:23 pm

DarkFlux wrote:Any recs for DCs current output?

There isn't much to recommend unfortunately from Rebirth. The few that I would are Deathstroke, Green Arrow and Suicide Squad. Other than that, I haven't enjoyed much else.

Also, has anyone else been trying to read the War of Jokes and Riddles? Because after that last issue with Kite-Man as the lead focus, I have completely dropped the Batman series. What a waste of something that could have been amazing. The story is 3 issues in now and it still hasn't progressed beyond the initial premise.
JordanT4021

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion