DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 23rd, 2017, 7:22 pm

Also, has anyone else been trying to read the War of Jokes and Riddles? Because after that last issue with Kite-Man as the lead focus, I have completely dropped the Batman series. What a waste of something that could have been amazing. The story is 3 issues in now and it still hasn't progressed beyond the initial premise.

Yeah, that wasn´t a great issue.

Only books I am still really enjoying are Superman, Teen Titans, Super Sons and Wonder Woman.

Not one Bat-title really. And I don´t think that is going to change, soon except for the Morrison elseworld book.

White Knight or so will be a story with Joker as the "hero"? Im interested in that.

I don´t like what I heard about that book so far. Apparently it is one of those stories were Batman is made responsible for the creation of the monsters he fights...

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 24th, 2017, 9:58 am

JordanT4021 wrote:
DarkFlux wrote:Also, has anyone else been trying to read the War of Jokes and Riddles? Because after that last issue with Kite-Man as the lead focus, I have completely dropped the Batman series. What a waste of something that could have been amazing. The story is 3 issues in now and it still hasn't progressed beyond the initial premise.

Its tough, i want to continue with at least this arc because the art is so good...but King simply cant write the batman universe.
I do appreciate that he tried to work on a goofy batman villian, gives him a bit more depth and all...BUT ITS KITE MAN.
You can make him edgy, you can give him a sympathic backstory, you can give him a "cooler" design, you could make him creepy as hell...its still KITE MAN.
Thats who he is...KITE MAN.
You will still have the goofy villian in there because he is f***ing KITE MAN. XD

The arc itself is dissapointing as hell, despite having such a huge potential.
It could have been "THE" tom king batman story, but its another wasted potential by a man who is the wrong choice to write Batman comics.

MaxSchreck wrote:I don´t like what I heard about that book so far. Apparently it is one of those stories were Batman is made responsible for the creation of the monsters he fights...

Yeah i dont like it either when they go that direction, but im always open for new "Elseworld" storys.
Also from what i have seen, the art looks really nice.
There is also that small disturbing part of me that ships Harley and The Joker...even if it is toxic as hell most of the time.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 24th, 2017, 10:19 am

Yeah i dont like it either when they go that direction, but im always open for new "Elseworld" storys.
There is also that small disturbing part of me that ships Harley and The Joker...even if it is toxic as hell most of the time.

Makes me wonder if their relationship would work as a more equal Bonnie and Clyde thing. But then you could argue it has been sanitized after having been established as an abusive relationship for so long. It´s really a no win situation. Maybe Harley really should be kep away from the Joker, alltough I don´t like how she is written today most of the time, either.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 24th, 2017, 12:46 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

Makes me wonder if their relationship would work as a more equal Bonnie and Clyde thing. But then you could argue it has been sanitized after having been established as an abusive relationship for so long. It´s really a no win situation. Maybe Harley really should be kep away from the Joker, alltough I don´t like how she is written today most of the time, either.

I always thought the idea has something if you put joker and harley basicly on the same level.
A pair of complete psychos who are pretty much equal to each other, the only "sane" thing that keeps them alive is their twisted love for each other...that is something i could get behind.
More Bonnie and Clyde and less of the one sided abusive relationship that we got, that would be something interesting.

But i think the days of Harley on the "villian" side are gone, for that they seem to force Harley as anti hero too much.
Maybe one day they give a writer ther permission to go a dark and disturbing place with Harley...that would be shocking and effective i think...but for now i think we have to endure DC trying to create their poor written Deadpool version with Harley.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 24th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

I always thought the idea has something if you put joker and harley basicly on the same level.
A pair of complete psychos who are pretty much equal to each other, the only "sane" thing that keeps them alive is their twisted love for each other...that is something i could get behind.
More Bonnie and Clyde and less of the one sided abusive relationship that we got, that would be something interesting.

But i think the days of Harley on the "villian" side are gone, for that they seem to force Harley as anti hero too much.
Maybe one day they give a writer ther permission to go a dark and disturbing place with Harley...that would be shocking and effective i think...but for now i think we have to endure DC trying to create their poor written Deadpool version with Harley.

Yeah, I espacially dislike her in Injustice where here "redemption" is contrasted with a lot of heroes suddenly and very unconvincingly turning evil.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Mani-Man wrote:Its tough, i want to continue with at least this arc because the art is so good...but King simply cant write the batman universe.
I do appreciate that he tried to work on a goofy batman villian, gives him a bit more depth and all...BUT ITS KITE MAN.
You can make him edgy, you can give him a sympathic backstory, you can give him a "cooler" design, you could make him creepy as hell...its still KITE MAN.
Thats who he is...KITE MAN.
You will still have the goofy villian in there because he is f***ing KITE MAN. XD

The arc itself is dissapointing as hell, despite having such a huge potential.
It could have been "THE" tom king batman story, but its another wasted potential by a man who is the wrong choice to write Batman comics.

The art by Janin is my main reason for continuing this long too (plus I wanted to see what they'd do with Ivy) but I don't enjoy this writing in the slightest.

I get what they were trying to do with Kite-Man by showing him as a victim of the war between Joker and Riddler, but as you said, its fucking Kite-Man. One of the most ridiculous Batman villains there is. I have no emotional connection to a small scale thief who uses a hang glider and screams "KITE MAN HELL YEAH" every two seconds.

Agree with that last point too. This could have been an instant classic for King. The premise is actually really interesting. But he's totally squandered the opportunity.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 17th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Just checking in for some new comic updates. XD

So yeah, Batman 29 felt a bit better overall then the rest...but the story still is dissapointing and throws away so much Potentia.

Metal is...yeah i dont really know what to think at the moment.
The Reveal of "THIS" character was extremely unexpected, not in 100 years i would have expected it.
But i still cant really put my finger on the event, im in the process to work through all the details and what happened so far.

Action Comics is nice, somehow i got really used to Lex as the good guy so im not sure i want this to be the "start" of him becoming evil again.

Detective Comics is also continuing to entertain me, i love the focus of the Batfamily as team.
Zatana in their fitted well, would have liked to see her and Bruce hook up for a while but i guess thats not in the cards because of what might or might not happen in Kings bad run when the joker/riddler arc is over.

Aquaman also stays good...so overall nothing really new in there.

Which brings me to a topic that involved a heated discussion between some people i saw on the internet some time ago.
Someone claimed that the current Aquaman arc is liberal propaganda to smear Trump and that the story is done for Political motives.
I honestly havent for one second thought about it this way when reading any of the issues.
But what do people think about this?
Mani-Man

Postby JordanT4021 » Aug 17th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Mani-Man wrote:Just checking in for some new comic updates. XD

So yeah, Batman 29 felt a bit better overall then the rest...but the story still is dissapointing and throws away so much Potentia.

The Reveal of "THIS" character was extremely unexpected, not in 100 years i would have expected it.
But i still cant really put my finger on the event, im in the process to work through all the details and what happened so far.

The recent Batman arc is not as good as I'd hoped for. I'm literally just buying it for the art at this point. I really want to give Metal a shot but I keep being really let down by DC lately.

Which reminds me:
https://www.newsarama.com/35989-dc-you-mystic-u-revived-with-new-name-new-artist.html
Why are DC so intent in turning all the female characters into young tween versions of themselves. Supergirl, Raven, Harley Quinn, Birds of Prey, Batgirl and now Zatanna? For the love of all things holy, can we get at least one more series where the female lead isnt as predictable as a character in twilight??
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 17th, 2017, 6:58 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:

The recent Batman arc is not as good as I'd hoped for. I'm literally just buying it for the art at this point. I really want to give Metal a shot but I keep being really let down by DC lately.

Which reminds me:
https://www.newsarama.com/35989-dc-you-mystic-u-revived-with-new-name-new-artist.html
Why are DC so intent in turning all the female characters into young tween versions of themselves. Supergirl, Raven, Harley Quinn, Birds of Prey, Batgirl and now Zatanna? For the love of all things holy, can we get at least one more series where the female lead isnt as predictable as a character in twilight??

Well, I like the design that Raven and Supergirl have at the moment... they also don´t seem to be written worse than they used to.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Aug 17th, 2017, 7:07 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:

Which reminds me:

Well, I like the design that Raven and Supergirl have at the moment... they also don´t seem to be written worse than they used to.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I have to admit, I haven't read either Supergirl or Raven so I can't comment on the quality of storytelling.

I have read certain issues of Batgirl, Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn and they're absolute garbage. Its young adult smut that you find on any 'fangirl' type media. I don't find it intriguing or progressive but I do think its mind numbingly boring and repetitive.

Apart from Wonder Woman (which I've already dropped) there aren't many other female lead series that actually get me excited.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 17th, 2017, 9:32 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:

Which reminds me:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I have to admit, I haven't read either Supergirl or Raven so I can't comment on the quality of storytelling.

I have read certain issues of Batgirl, Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn and they're absolute garbage. Its young adult smut that you find on any 'fangirl' type media. I don't find it intriguing or progressive but I do think its mind numbingly boring and repetitive.

Apart from Wonder Woman (which I've already dropped) there aren't many other female lead series that actually get me excited.

No worries, I´ve been on the Internet long enough to read much more "offensive" stuff. But yeah, I think Supergirl and Raven have been treated okay.

Harley Quinn is a character I can´t stand anymore. I used to know a guy who really liked her, even the New 52 incarnation. I wonder what he´d say now.

Batgirl is pretty bad, alltough it seemed okay before she returned to Burnside. Birds of Prey looks just boring, but not written that much worse than most of Detective or Nightwing last time I checked.

What is "fangirl" type media? :I I just finished reading Nimona by Noelle Stevenson, the author of Lumberjanes. I rather liked this. Does that fall under this category, too? Because the way you are using it sounds rather derogative, no offense.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 18th, 2017, 11:19 am

Yeah i dont get why they turn especially the female characters into Tweens.
I would assume to get more girls into comics, but i dont see why woman/girls wouldnt have fun reading about "grown up" Female superheroes.

I dont seem to get the angle they have there and i also dont see the appeal.
Thats why i havent picked up batgirl for the longest time...i think gail simones run was the last one, just before the new 52 turned her into tween.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 18th, 2017, 1:17 pm

They really could have just used Stephanie and Cassandra more. But they had to spend most of the reboot in Limbo despite many female fans wanting them back.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 10th, 2017, 10:20 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:No worries, I´ve been on the Internet long enough to read much more "offensive" stuff. But yeah, I think Supergirl and Raven have been treated okay.

Harley Quinn is a character I can´t stand anymore. I used to know a guy who really liked her, even the New 52 incarnation. I wonder what he´d say now.

Batgirl is pretty bad, alltough it seemed okay before she returned to Burnside. Birds of Prey looks just boring, but not written that much worse than most of Detective or Nightwing last time I checked.

What is "fangirl" type media? :I I just finished reading Nimona by Noelle Stevenson, the author of Lumberjanes. I rather liked this. Does that fall under this category, too? Because the way you are using it sounds rather derogative, no offense.

I think Batgirl has it pretty bad right now. I read one issue with Poison Ivy (because she's my fave) where Poison Ivy accidentally let loose an uncontrollable and extremely strong plant loose on an airplane and half way through the issue Batgirl stops to chat about college options and boys. Not to mention at the end of the issue, Batgirl is unconscious and Poison Ivy puts her back in her civilian clothes and makes sure she's comfy back in her seat. Some of the worst writing I've ever read.

I've never read Nimona or Lumberjanes so I can't say anything on them. It's just not my cup of tea I guess. I prefer darker, more mature things. Killer woman like Elektra and Poison Ivy is usually what I lean towards.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 11th, 2017, 9:20 am

I think Batgirl has it pretty bad right now. I read one issue with Poison Ivy (because she's my fave) where Poison Ivy accidentally let loose an uncontrollable and extremely strong plant loose on an airplane and half way through the issue Batgirl stops to chat about college options and boys. Not to mention at the end of the issue, Batgirl is unconscious and Poison Ivy puts her back in her civilian clothes and makes sure she's comfy back in her seat. Some of the worst writing I've ever read.

I saw a couple of scans of that issue... it did seem pretty bad.

I've never read Nimona or Lumberjanes so I can't say anything on them. It's just not my cup of tea I guess. I prefer darker, more mature things. Killer woman like Elektra and Poison Ivy is usually what I lean towards.

Hm, Nimona does get pretty dark at the end :oldyella: But yeah, I usually prefer "more matur" stuff as well. It´s just that Dc sometimes tries to hard to be dark and forgets to be fun. Alltough Metal seems like a big improvement in that regard.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previ ... s-metal-2/

That scene with Wonder Woman... one of the things I always loved about Damian is that he actually likes being Robin and doesn´t "suffer it" like a certain other sidekick...

MaxSchreck

Previous

Return to Comic Discussion