What are you reading now or next?

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: What are you reading now or next?

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 26th, 2016, 7:30 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:I disagree. The art is among the worst I´ve seen in the New 52. The story is quite simple and it makes a lot of characters look like assholes...or idiots for following and encouraging this monstrous parody of Superman.

Almost every issue I feel like

...or this...

... and want to do that to Dc.

Its like being a Hank Pym/Janet Van Dyne fan and reading Mark Millars Ultimates for the first time.

I'm not defending Injustice's story or anything, but it's got bad art a third of the time, maybe. Another third, decent, then the last third, good. I was introduced to Bruno Redondo's art through the series and I will be forever grateful for that. Four of the pages below are from his issues. The last one is Xermanico's lovely work.

Spoiler: show

---

Still reading A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire book 2, A.K.A. Game of Thrones season 2) because I'm slow as POW, dammit. :oldyella:
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby DarkFlux » Aug 26th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Been reading a bunch of Alan Grants Psi-Judge Anderson lately. Classic stuff.

Also took my first foray into Manga (!) with the first volume of Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Enjoying it so far. Though its hard wrapping my head 'round the reading right-to-left thing :P
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 26th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I'm not defending Injustice's story or anything, but it's got bad art a third of the time, maybe. Another third, decent, then the last third, good. I was introduced to Bruno Redondo's art through the series and I will be forever grateful for that. Four of the pages below are from his issues. The last one is Xermanico's lovely work.

Yeah, the art has improved, but the story has become even worse, if thats possible since the chapters are shorter now.

Are we talking about more than just comics here now? :oldyella:

Well, I am currently reading a historical novel by Tim Willocks set in the 16th century... its quite good and very bloody. The hero is a German mercenary who just about kills everything that moves but has a soft spot for children.

I also have to work my way through a lot of none fictional literature for University. Among them the Raes Gestae by Emperor Augustus himself. Which made me wonder, did he pacify Germania or not?

When I have more freetime again I plan to read the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Leiber. Heard its quite good and I could use some light hearted Sword and Sorcery. Apparently it had a big influence on Terry Preachetts Discworld novels, too. Espacially the first one.

They even appeared in the old Wonder Woman comics...

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 26th, 2016, 8:43 pm

DarkFlux wrote:Been reading a bunch of Alan Grants Psi-Judge Anderson lately. Classic stuff.

Also took my first foray into Manga (!) with the first volume of Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Enjoying it so far. Though its hard wrapping my head 'round the reading right-to-left thing

Oh cool, congrats on trying out manga for the first time! :D I don't know that manga, though, haha, but glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Even now, I still get confused sometimes when reading comics or manga :oldyella: (I've been reading manga for years before I started reading comics, but of course, by default, I was reading from left to right)

MaxSchreck wrote:

Yeah, the art has improved, but the story has become even worse, if thats possible since the chapters are shorter now.

Are we talking about more than just comics here now?

Well, I am currently reading a historical novel by Tim Willocks set in the 16th century... its quite good and very bloody. The hero is a German mercenary who just about kills everything that moves but has a soft spot for children.

I also have to work my way through a lot of none fictional literature for University. Among them the Raes Gestae by Emperor Augustus himself. Which made me wonder, did he pacify Germania or not?

When I have more freetime again I plan to read the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Leiber. Heard its quite good and I could use some light hearted Sword and Sorcery. Apparently it had a big influence on Terry Preachetts Discworld novels, too. Espacially the first one.

They even appeared in the old Wonder Woman comics...

Wait, is this thread not meant for reading in general? :oldyella:
BuNKiTZ

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 26th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Its purpose changes from time to time apparently. Most of the time people just talk about comics I once opened a "serious literature" topic but people stopped posting after a while.

Anyway, I am going to read this now:

Its been pretty interesting so far.

MaxSchreck

Postby DarkFlux » Aug 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
DarkFlux wrote:Been reading a bunch of Alan Grants Psi-Judge Anderson lately. Classic stuff.

Also took my first foray into Manga (!) with the first volume of Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Enjoying it so far. Though its hard wrapping my head 'round the reading right-to-left thing

Oh cool, congrats on trying out manga for the first time! :D I don't know that manga, though, haha, but glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Even now, I still get confused sometimes when reading comics or manga :oldyella: (I've been reading manga for years before I started reading comics, but of course, by default, I was reading from left to right)

Not even bringing up the number of times I open the book by the back cover... :oldyella:

Although yeah,as an avid comic reader and somewhat on/off anime fan its kinda odd its taken me this long to try out manga. Any recs?
I think part of the reason I never much got into it is I havnt casually come across many that look appealling in that Im normally into more grounded/sci-fi stuff. Mainstream works like Naruto or Bleach or whatever sliceoflife/romance is popular kinda puts me off. As does anything thats like 40+ volumes with no end in site.

I love the anime adaptations of Akira and Ghost in the Shell but since I heard Koden-whatever is putting out complete remastered versions of the manga next year i figured Id try those out later.

Ive also had the first omnibus of Lone Wolf & Cub on my shelf for about 2 years and havnt yet cracked it open...
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 27th, 2016, 7:11 am

I really enjoy the Manga Vinland Saga at the moment. Allthough if you are not motivated to read through Lone Wolf and Cub maybe this one will not be your kind of Manga, either. It starts like a fairly typical Shonen story with Vikings, but then gets more complex and mature.

Never finished reading Lone Wolf and Cub, though now that you mention it...

I also remember a Manga called Crying Freeman that got a pretty good live action and OVA adaptation. It was a little sexist and weird from time to time, though, but the story itself was quite good from what I remember.

MaxSchreck

Postby Bane » Oct 1st, 2017, 5:57 pm

It's going to take awhile, but working on collecting literally every single Batman comic between Crisis on Infinite Earths and the New 52
Bane

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby MaxSchreck » Oct 1st, 2017, 6:46 pm

I am currently reading the case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft.

Oh, and also the rulebook for the fifth Edition of Shadowrun.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Oct 2nd, 2017, 8:54 pm

Finally got around to reading House of M and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love how dangerous and unpredictable Scarlet Witch is. Its surprisingly emotional too (poor Spider-Man).

Currently reading Seven Soldiers of Victory and so far have enjoyed what I've read. I love the darker DC stories that focus on the more secondary characters.

Plus, still collecting the Rebirth collected volumes for Suicide Squad, Deathstroke and Green Arrow. I know Suicide Squad goes downhill in writing soon so I'll probably drop that soon as well. God Rebirth is giving me very little to work with.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby BuNKiTZ » Oct 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm

I'm reading (not really, kind of on a break) the official novelization of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I'm still early in, some time after Vamp was introduced and Raiden's going around the Plant disabling bombs. The writing is alright... I don't really know how to properly criticize or analyze writing, but some of it feels really off, like they're just describing what you see during the game, rather than properly writing a story based on the events of the game.

Hopefully gonna read some Rick Riordan books next, as I've not read one in so long now.

Aside from that, I've still got two more A Song of Ice and Fire books waiting for me. I'm taking a long break after finishing the third, which took me forever. :oldyella:

Overall, I haven't been reading much books (aside from comics and manga) since graduating, and I've gotten quite sad about it. There are still tons I want to read, but I just don't seem to have the energy or motivation to go through them as fast as I used to. And I already wasn't a fast reader before.
BuNKiTZ

Postby MaxSchreck » Oct 7th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Finished reading The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.,.. and a Shadowrun novel I forgot to mention last time. It´s the sequel to a book I finished a long looong time ago.

Aaand then I started to read a book based on another rpg. Its written by an author that I used to love in my early teens. For some reason they changed the title and the cover... They both are a lot lamer than the original if you ask me.

MaxSchreck

Previous

Return to Comic Discussion