Recommendations

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Recommendations

Postby batman404 » Dec 6th, 2012, 3:07 am

Benji wrote:
Benji wrote:
The Gotham Knight wrote:
Benji wrote:I need new Batman material, I have all the usual suspects - Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Catwoman in Rome, Dark Victory, Hush, No Man's Land, Joker, ect.

I like some interesting villains, a good story, with mystery involved, what should I look up?

Black Mirror?

Thanks dude.

Okay finished reading Black Mirror and it was awesome, any more recommendations? :oldyella:

Great choice! Black Mirror is one of my absolute favourite Batman stories.

Anyway, recommendations...

Batman: Earth One - A fantastic re-imagining of the Batman mythos.
Batman: Noel - Based on A Christman Carol by Charles Dickens. Very clever writing and some of the best art i've ever seen.
Batman: The Cult - Probably the most underrated Batman book in existence! Nuff said.
Batman: Knightfall - Bane breaks the Bat. Make sure you get the new edition(s) if you decide to check this out.
Batman: The Court of Owls - My favourite of the new 52. Written by Scott Snyder, who also wrote Black Mirror.
Last edited by batman404 on Dec 31st, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Benji » Dec 6th, 2012, 5:43 am

Thanks man, I'm thinking Noel, Earth One or Court of Owls. :)

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby The Oracle » Dec 6th, 2012, 6:01 am

Benji wrote:Thanks man, I'm thinking Noel, Earth One or Court of Owls. :)

I'd recommend picking up Earth One. The Court of Owls reads best in one go (this is if you're picking up the current volume 1 and not the individual issues) and they haven't released the rest of it just yet. And Earth One is a great reinterpretation of the Batman origin. It starts off a bit different than what you might expect but by the end, it's the Batman mythos we love and you could start basically any Batman story without a problem.

-- December 8th, 2012, 9:47 pm --

Batman: The Killing Joke Deluxe Edition or Batman: Birth of the Demon (the bundle including Bride and Son) or Batman: Dark Victory or Batman: Venom? I'll be picking up all of them down the line but which should I pick up first?
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby Jokerkim » Feb 4th, 2013, 9:04 pm

My favourite villain is The Riddler (or, at least he shares the top spot with the Joker), but I find it hard to find comic books/GNs where the Riddler is the main villain. Any tips/recommendations? :riddler:
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
Jokerkim

Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby The Oracle » Feb 5th, 2013, 3:19 am

Jokerkim wrote:My favourite villain is The Riddler (or, at least he shares the top spot with the Joker), but I find it hard to find comic books/GNs where the Riddler is the main villain. Any tips/recommendations? :riddler:

Hush? Skip to the future and read Snyder's upcoming Riddler arc?
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby VoodooMu » Feb 5th, 2013, 7:07 am

TFDutchman wrote:http://www.kingscomics.com/product_list ... e&Variable[ProductCodeID]=OCT080163
^Just highlight and copy the full url

My regular store here in Australia (not sure where you're from) but they ship internationally as well. The link is for the HC Deluxe Edition of Batman RIP. Currently out of stock but if it's still being printed they can get it in within about 2 weeks.

Hope that helps. Kings Comics is where I get all my stuff from because they're reliable and have never let me down. I'm currently getting the DC Chess Collection through them even though it's unavailable for subscription in Australia.

Is King's Comics only in Sydney? I'm thinking of checking it out but I'm in Melbourne. As for recommendations does anyone have any good ideas for Scarecrow or Mr Freeze comics? I actually haven't read a comic book except for Hush volume 1 and the first page of Year One.
Arkham: City of Mafia, a forum mafia game is currently open to sign-ups. Check it out here.
VoodooMu

Favourite Villain: Mr Freeze/Scarecrow

Postby TFDutchman » Mar 29th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Topic needs a small bump.

So it's only a month til Free Comic Book Day and you can certainly bet that I'll be visiting Kings Comics and with 20% off I plan to spend some money.

Now so far my shopping list consists mostly of Marvel titles but I'd definitely like some suggestions and recommendations for what else (Dc, marvel or anyone) people would recommend looking at picking up. Hardcovers preferable.

@baconfat, yep Kings is in Sydney but if you ever check them out it's only 4.50 postage ordering online. Not sure about Scarecrow or Mr Freeze specific stories.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby batman404 » Mar 29th, 2013, 4:25 pm

TFDutchman wrote:Topic needs a small bump.

So it's only a month til Free Comic Book Day and you can certainly bet that I'll be visiting Kings Comics and with 20% off I plan to spend some money.

Now so far my shopping list consists mostly of Marvel titles but I'd definitely like some suggestions and recommendations for what else (Dc, marvel or anyone) people would recommend looking at picking up. Hardcovers preferable.

Well, since you're a big Marvel fan, I highly recommend Marvels by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross and its follow up Marvels: Eye of the Camera by Kurt Busiek and Jay Anacleto, if you haven't read them already. Easily two of the best books i've ever read, and anyone with any kind of interest in Marvel should read them A.S.A.P. They're f***ing brilliant!

Spoiler: show

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvels
batman404

Postby TFDutchman » Mar 30th, 2013, 3:21 am

Kings has Eye of the Camera, but out of stock on Marvels. Might still check it out when I'm at Kings. Looks really good.

TFDutchman

Postby batman404 » Mar 30th, 2013, 6:01 am

TFDutchman wrote:Kings has Eye of the Camera, but out of stock on Marvels. Might still check it out when I'm at Kings. Looks really good.

I'd suggest that you read Marvels first, but of course it's up to you.

Speaking of Kings Comics, do you watch the Kapow Comic Book Show that's filmed there? It's pretty damn good.

batman404

Postby TFDutchman » Mar 30th, 2013, 8:11 am

batman404 wrote:
TFDutchman wrote:Kings has Eye of the Camera, but out of stock on Marvels. Might still check it out when I'm at Kings. Looks really good.

I'd suggest that you read Marvels first, but of course it's up to you.

Speaking of Kings Comics, do you watch the Kapow Comic Book Show that's filmed there? It's pretty damn good.

I've actually been in the store a couple of times while they've been filming it :D
Last time I saw them there was when they had the writers of Winter City doing signings. Great guys, and the series is fantastic so far.

TFDutchman

Postby Pieter » Mar 30th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Any book Alex Ross works on is pure gold!!
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: Condiment King

Postby Jokerkim » Apr 19th, 2013, 7:48 am

I would like to read some Superman comics before Man of Steel comes out, and I'm concidering the following five:

Red Son
All-Star Superman
Earth One
Birthright
Action Comics: Superman and the Men of Steel

The only Superman comic I have read before is For All Seasons (which I loved), but I have seen all the movies and so I'm not a total stranger to Superman. Would anyone stop me from buying these or should I go for them? :?:
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
Jokerkim

Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby DarkFlux » Apr 19th, 2013, 8:47 am

Theyre all great. Go nuts.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby DarkFlux » Apr 19th, 2013, 8:51 am

TFDutchman wrote:Topic needs a small bump.

Image put out a load of great series in 10-12 issue hardcovers.

Checkout Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Morning Glories, Spawn, Haunt, Skullkickers.

Also, Y The Last Man, Punisher MAX, Preacher. Theres a Martial Law HC out this week iirc.

And havnt read it yet, but Dark Horses Library Editions of Hellboy are sweeeeet :)
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion