Recommendations

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Recommendations

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 8th, 2014, 11:26 am

IMO, there are so many better Batman stories that are better than Hush. Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Dini's run on Detective come to mind pretty quickly, especially the latter, since he writes Hush so much better than Loeb does.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Pieter » Apr 8th, 2014, 11:34 am

Grant Morrison's run on Batman is so excellent especially R.I.P but Dini's run on TEC is awesome as well.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: Condiment King

Postby BlackBlade » Apr 8th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:IMO, there are so many better Batman stories that are better than Hush. Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Dini's run on Detective come to mind pretty quickly, especially the latter, since he writes Hush so much better than Loeb does.

You read Hush for the art, IMO and as a decent starting point if you're new to bat books. It's accessible. You may miss some of the finer points but I think it's a good early read. But, especially for someone who asks about Jim Lee specifically, I think Hush is more about the art. The books is probably only half as popular as it is today without Lee drawing it.
~"They say that when you kill a man you not only take away what he was, but all he will ever be."
BlackBlade

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Red Hood: Lost Years

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 8th, 2014, 7:00 pm

BlackBlade wrote:
Harvey Bullock wrote:IMO, there are so many better Batman stories that are better than Hush. Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Dini's run on Detective come to mind pretty quickly, especially the latter, since he writes Hush so much better than Loeb does.

You read Hush for the art, IMO and as a decent starting point if you're new to bat books. It's accessible. You may miss some of the finer points but I think it's a good early read. But, especially for someone who asks about Jim Lee specifically, I think Hush is more about the art. The books is probably only half as popular as it is today without Lee drawing it.

See, I'm not even a massive fan of Lee anyway. His art is fantastic for sure, but it's...generic? I don't know, I prefer artists who mark out their own styles in a way; Dustin Nguyen and Jock are my favourites in particular:

Harvey Bullock

Postby BlackBlade » Apr 8th, 2014, 7:08 pm

I go back and forth on Lee. Sometimes I love it because it's very bold and kind of hyper real? Not the best description but what I mean is he draws everything very accurately, but exaggerates the features he wants to stand out. Regardless, I mention it because Deathstroke specifically asked about Lee. I like Jock a lot too, as well as Manapul. I think, however, that sometimes, when you're first getting into comics, you like stuff like Lee because it's accessible and then as you read more books and get more acclimated to the medium, some of the more painterly styles like Jock grow on you. They're not what you were looking for the first time you opened a comic. But as you get hooked in and start to appreciate all the other aspects of the medium, you start to develop an appreciation for these other styles. Right now I'm really enjoying Manapul's style. I went back and re-read his new issue of detective this morning just to admire some of the artwork. But Lee, to me, is the kind of art everyone can appreciate and what springs to mind for non-readers or new readers. He's the master of the "traditional" or "stereotypical"'super hero art. But he also is part of the reason that became the stereotype. He helped make it so popular.
~"They say that when you kill a man you not only take away what he was, but all he will ever be."
BlackBlade

Postby Euan3112 » Apr 19th, 2014, 5:52 am

Been looking to read Dennis O'Neil's Question run. I can find parts of it but can't seem to find the first or fourth volume anywhere.

Any other Question books people (Harvey) can recommend?
Euan3112

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Pieter » Apr 19th, 2014, 6:52 am

You should check out :
- Rick Veitch's Question
- Steve Ditko's Question

That's everything I can think of at the moment.
Pieter

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 19th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Euan3112 wrote:Been looking to read Dennis O'Neil's Question run. I can find parts of it but can't seem to find the first or fourth volume anywhere.

Any other Question books people (Harvey) can recommend?

Aww that's awesome that you're interested! Bummer about the lack of Zen and Violence anywhere though - have you tried asking around at your LCS?

Also really sucks about the fourth volume as well - I can never decide whether the third or fourth is my favourite.

Basically what KAC said. Although Vietch's run isn't stellar, it's still a good read. Obviously nothing touches O'Neil's stuff, but others have come close.

I'd recommend Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood along with KAC's suggestions. It's marketed as a Batman/Huntress story but it's much more a Question/Huntress story and it is AMAZING. Rucka is a genius.

Hope that helps :)
Harvey Bullock

Postby Pieter » Apr 19th, 2014, 3:09 pm

How could I forgot Cry for Blood !?
But yeah Harvey's right it rules so check it out. It saddens me that we haven't had anything awesome with The Question in a long time because he is one of my absolute favorites in DC and just comics in general everytime I see him in any story I get really giddy. His New 52 version sucks ass though.
Pieter

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 19th, 2014, 4:00 pm

King Arthur Curry wrote:How could I forgot Cry for Blood !?
But yeah Harvey's right it rules so check it out. It saddens me that we haven't had anything awesome with The Question in a long time because he is one of my absolute favorites in DC and just comics in general everytime I see him in any story I get really giddy. His New 52 version sucks ass though.

We get Multiversity soon. ;) That'll satisfy my Question thirst for a bit at least. :oldyella:

That's something you should definitely keep an eye out for in August Euan, 'Pax Americana' will have The Question in it and it's one of the tales making up 'Multiversity'.

A few pieces of art:

Did I mention Grant Morrison will be writing? It has zero affiliation to the New 52 as well which is a huge bonus.
Harvey Bullock

Postby Pieter » Apr 19th, 2014, 4:05 pm

I'm so pumped for Multiversity I have this feeling it will be one of Morrison's best works.
Pieter

Postby Euan3112 » Apr 20th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll ask around my LCS for Vol 1 and 4 of O'Neil's stuff and I'll add be checking out your recommendations soon.
Euan3112

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Joeker » Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:05 pm

Marvel 1602 is on sale on Comixology. Is it any good?

Why not check out my fanart?
http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=21259
Latest sketch: Peter Capaldi as The Doctor
Joeker

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby BlackBlade » Apr 23rd, 2014, 10:20 pm

Joeker wrote:Marvel 1602 is on sale on Comixology. Is it any good?

I enjoyed it. If not just for the setting, some decent art and the novelty of seeing the characters pushed into various archetypes.
BlackBlade

Postby Joeker » Apr 23rd, 2014, 10:29 pm

BlackBlade wrote:
Joeker wrote:Marvel 1602 is on sale on Comixology. Is it any good?

I enjoyed it. If not just for the setting, some decent art and the novelty of seeing the characters pushed into various archetypes.

Yeah I'm a sucker for novelty stuff like that :oldyella: Cheers :D

Why not check out my fanart?
http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=21259
Latest sketch: Peter Capaldi as The Doctor
Joeker

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion