Recommendations

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Recommendations

Postby Jokerkim » Jun 16th, 2015, 9:16 pm

So, is Geoff Johns Superman #32 a good jumping on point if I would like to read some New 52 Superman? The new Truth arc got me curious, but the Geoff Johns run leads up to it, no?
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
Jokerkim

Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby DarkFlux » Jun 17th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Yeah its a good jump on point. It kiiiinda sets up Truth, but only a bit towards the end. I imagine you could just start with the Truth issues by the new writer no problem.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Jokerkim » Jun 17th, 2015, 11:09 pm

I see. Think maybe I'll start with Johns' run. Truth is a crossover so maybe I should wait for the collected edition? Or just stay with the Superman issues?

-- 18 Jun 2015, 00:10 --

I see. Think maybe I'll start with Johns' run. Truth is a crossover so maybe I should wait for the collected edition? Or just stay with the Superman issues?

-- 18 Jun 2015, 00:10 --

Forgot to say thanks for the reply! :adam:
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
Jokerkim

Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 24th, 2015, 11:03 am

Trying to figure out what to get next. Trying to dig through some of the New 52 and pre New 52 comics but I'm not sure what to pick up. New 52 wise I've covered most of Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Justice League, Shazam!, Wonder Woman and a bit of Red Hood and the Outlaws. So far my favorite New 52 run is most definitely Aquaman. Pre New 52 I've covered only pretty much all of Batman, Flash: Rebirth and Superman: Last Son of Krypton. Not sure where to go next. Any recommendations? I'm open to pretty much everything though I would like to discover a new character.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 24th, 2015, 11:47 am

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Trying to figure out what to get next. Trying to dig through some of the New 52 and pre New 52 comics but I'm not sure what to pick up. New 52 wise I've covered most of Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Justice League, Shazam!, Wonder Woman and a bit of Red Hood and the Outlaws. So far my favorite New 52 run is most definitely Aquaman. Pre New 52 I've covered only pretty much all of Batman, Flash: Rebirth and Superman: Last Son of Krypton. Not sure where to go next. Any recommendations? I'm open to pretty much everything though I would like to discover a new character.

You could always write down what story arcs you own and we can recommend as such? :adam:
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 24th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Trying to figure out what to get next. Trying to dig through some of the New 52 and pre New 52 comics but I'm not sure what to pick up. New 52 wise I've covered most of Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Justice League, Shazam!, Wonder Woman and a bit of Red Hood and the Outlaws. So far my favorite New 52 run is most definitely Aquaman. Pre New 52 I've covered only pretty much all of Batman, Flash: Rebirth and Superman: Last Son of Krypton. Not sure where to go next. Any recommendations? I'm open to pretty much everything though I would like to discover a new character.

You could always write down what story arcs you own and we can recommend as such? :adam:

Didn't think of that. :P This is what I've read and own:

Aquaman
Entirety of New 52 run- Excluding Aquaman and the Others run.

Batman
The entirety of the New 52 Batman run- Just standard, no detective comics etc.
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
Year One
Hush
Heart of Hush
Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
No Mans Land
Killing Joke
Batman and Son
The Black Glove
The Return of Bruce Wayne
R.I.P

The Flash
Entirety of the New 52 run.
The Flash: Rebirth

Justice League
Entirety of New 52 run- No Justice League of America.
Final Crisis

Nightwing

Shazam
Shazam! (New 52)

Superman
Last Son of Krypton

Wonder Woman

Aquaman is slowly becoming my favorite hero of the lot. Looking at picking up DC New Frontier deluxe edition but I'm not sure if it's any good.
Mr_Weasel_

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 24th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Okay, so for Batman you HAVE to read The Black Mirror. It's perfect, and is in my eyes Snyder's best work on the character.

If you read RIP you'll also want to finish off Morrison's run on the character, so his Batman & Robin series is essential - as is INC! :D

A fantastic pre-new52 flash story would be the 'Dastardly Death Of The Rogues'. It's written by Johns with art by Manapul and it's gorgeous. Read it!

In terms of Justice League 'The Tornado's Path' is pretty stellar which was written after Identity Crisis. If you're in the mood for something truly unique and spectacular however I can't recommend 'The New Frontier' highly enough. It's an incredible story, and if you can't get your hands on the GN then definitely check out the animated film!

All Star Superman is a must for the boy in blue as well.

If you're really interested in getting into a new character however I can't recommend the '52' series enough. It's basically a story about 52 weeks where the main DC trinity went missing, and it focusses on DC's best lesser-known heroes including The Question.

There's also a new edition of Green Arrow: Year One which is out so be sure to check that out!

Was it just DC you're after? Or are you open to Dark Horse and Marvel?
Harvey Bullock

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 24th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Mr_Weasel_, for DC, I would recommend Geoff Johns' entire Green Lantern run. It's a thing of beauty, especially that final issue. Well, the last parts of it.

That should include Blackest Night, I think. Well, it's a DC Universe event kind of thing, rather than just a Green Lantern thing. Either ways, it's fantastic. My favorite DC event to date.

If you'd like to try some Marvel, I highly recommend Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye! It just finished, though, so the trade included the last issues won't be out for some time. Along with Hawkeye, others I highly recommend include Superior Spider-Man (the entire run) and Ms. Marvel! The new one, of course. Its last issue should arrive soon-ish, so the final TPB will take a while too. But it's such a great book. I love it so much :alfred: Oh, and Thor: God of Thunder. The whole book. Such a great run. Fantastic art too.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 24th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Crikey! Thanks guys! This is a great help and will surely keep me busy for a while. :P

Harvey Bullock wrote:Was it just DC you're after? Or are you open to Dark Horse and Marvel?

I'm open to all three. I've been starting to enjoy comics more as of late and have been wanting to reads more.
Mr_Weasel_

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 24th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Crikey! Thanks guys! This is a great help and will surely keep me busy for a while. :P

Harvey Bullock wrote:Was it just DC you're after? Or are you open to Dark Horse and Marvel?

I'm open to all three. I've been starting to enjoy comics more as of late and have been wanting to reads more.

HELLBOYYYYY.

Seriously, Hellboy. Like now. :D
Harvey Bullock

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 24th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:Crikey! Thanks guys! This is a great help and will surely keep me busy for a while. :P

If you're also interested in any comics in general, I would recommend Rat Queens (Image) and Giant Days (Boom! Box) too! The latter's just a mini-series, though. 5 out of 6 issues have been released. I recall reading an article that said it was extended to 12, though... Rat Queens is an ongoing. It's not meant for kids, though. Just saying.

Oh, and Afterlife With Archie. Amazing zombie book. It's especially fun for me since I grew up reading Archie Comics.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Pieter » Jul 24th, 2015, 8:49 pm

The Miller, Smith, Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs are amazing definitely check them out.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby TheJester » Jul 25th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Bar what everyone else has already said, I highly recommend any of the Sin City books, That Yellow B*stard and The Hard Goodbye in particular.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Jul 26th, 2015, 2:52 am

Sounds good. :D Will be checking out a variety of comics now. :P Thanks for the recommendations!
Mr_Weasel_

Postby Peel » Jul 31st, 2015, 4:22 pm

I'm looking to read some good Justice League storylines that have been written in the past decade or just have more modern artwork. I've been buying all the main volumes for the New 52's Justice League which I really enjoy but am debating whether to buy some stories pre-new 52 as none of them really stood out to me that much, except for Tower of Babel and Identity Crisis, but they're pretty old.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion