Recommendations

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Recommendations

Postby Pieter » Jul 31st, 2015, 11:17 pm

Peel wrote:I'm looking to read some good Justice League storylines that have been written in the past decade or just have more modern artwork. I've been buying all the main volumes for the New 52's Justice League which I really enjoy but am debating whether to buy some stories pre-new 52 as none of them really stood out to me that much, except for Tower of Babel and Identity Crisis, but they're pretty old.

You should definitely give the Morrison JLA run a try although it was written in the 90s.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 31st, 2015, 11:45 pm

Pieter wrote:
Peel wrote:I'm looking to read some good Justice League storylines that have been written in the past decade or just have more modern artwork. I've been buying all the main volumes for the New 52's Justice League which I really enjoy but am debating whether to buy some stories pre-new 52 as none of them really stood out to me that much, except for Tower of Babel and Identity Crisis, but they're pretty old.

You should definitely give the Morrison JLA run a try although it was written in the 90s.

Justice by Alex Ross is worth a read, but its not in continuity.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Aug 1st, 2015, 5:39 am

Two decades, but Kingdom Come.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow

Postby Peel » Aug 2nd, 2015, 11:34 am

Pieter wrote:

I tried getting into his run and read the story arc with Lex Luthor forming an Injustice Gang that consisted of him, Prometheus, The General and Queen Bee, but I really hated it because nothing substantially interesting happened, it went on for ages and I hated the artwork. Guess it was just not for me.

MaxSchreck wrote:
Pieter wrote:

Justice by Alex Ross is worth a read, but its not in continuity.

I love Ross' artwork, I'll see if I can find a good deal on Amazon.

Doudyx-X-xDubs wrote:

Two decades, but Kingdom Come.

I could never understand Kingdom Come by what I read about it online but it does look like a good story so I'll give it a try.

Thanks everyone :alfred:
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 2nd, 2015, 1:34 pm

So ever since playing the Arkham Knight Batgirl dlc, i have this strong interest in reading some batgirl and/or Batwoman comics.

Can anybody recommend some?
Are the new 52 batgirl comics any good, i saw the most recent one and they really throw me off with this brat like barbara that looks and acts like she is 16...when do the new 52 comics start with her being like that?

What can you recommend me in terms of Batgirl stories and Batwoman?

PS:Watch out, i could use this topic more often now, i wanna create a big list of comics i want to buy(i found out that it isnt a big deal to buy stuff from ebay in america...so i should be able to find good stuff there to build up my collection instead of relying on amazon and the poor german comic shops)
Mani-Man

Postby Pieter » Aug 2nd, 2015, 4:56 pm

Batgirl:

- Batgirl: Year One
- Bryan Q. Miller's run on Batgirl
- Gail Simone's run on Batgirl (New 52) (#1-#34 )
- Gail Simone's run on Birds Of Prey ( Barbara isn't the only character in it but there is a lot of great character stuff for her.)

Batwoman:

- Elegy
- The Blackman and Williams III run on Batwoman ( New 52 ) (#1-#24)
Last edited by Pieter on Aug 2nd, 2015, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby The Oracle » Aug 2nd, 2015, 8:00 pm

Mani-Man wrote:So ever since playing the Arkham Knight Batgirl dlc, i have this strong interest in reading some batgirl and/or Batwoman comics.

Can anybody recommend some?
Are the new 52 batgirl comics any good, i saw the most recent one and they really throw me off with this brat like barbara that looks and acts like she is 16...when do the new 52 comics start with her being like that?

What can you recommend me in terms of Batgirl stories and Batwoman?

PS:Watch out, i could use this topic more often now, i wanna create a big list of comics i want to buy(i found out that it isnt a big deal to buy stuff from ebay in america...so i should be able to find good stuff there to build up my collection instead of relying on amazon and the poor german comic shops)

As Pieter said, Elegy and all of Batwoman's new 52 run up to 24 for her. After that, the series switches writers and goes into a massive nosedive with vampire softcore and hanging out in space with Clayface.

The New 52 comics start with her being like that in issue 36. I was apprehensive about that soft reboot, but after reading it, it's actually pretty solid. The issue is that it comes after Simone's more mature version and it feels jarring put up against it. But on it's own terms, it's a good read and though the social media stuff can be grating at points, there ends up being a reason for it and they tone it back in a major way following the first arc.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 2nd, 2015, 9:35 pm

Ah thank you two, im now even more interested:)

I get the feeling i will give the newer new 52 batgirl a chance sooner or later, maybe this teen barbara will warm up to me.
Mani-Man

Postby Peel » Oct 14th, 2015, 8:06 pm

I'm looking to get into reading some Azrael stories (In particular, just ones about the Michael Lane version, not the Jean-Paul Valley version) as I've really grown to like him as a Batman ally following his appearances in the Arkham. Are there any good standalone stories released in recent years that focus on him and perhaps have a good batman villain involved too?
Peel

Postby The man who laughs » Nov 2nd, 2015, 6:33 pm

Any good under rated, lesser known batman stories preferably graphic novels recommendations for me?
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Postby DarkFlux » Nov 2nd, 2015, 7:00 pm

Peel wrote:I'm looking to get into reading some Azrael stories (In particular, just ones about the Michael Lane version, not the Jean-Paul Valley version) as I've really grown to like him as a Batman ally following his appearances in the Arkham. Are there any good standalone stories released in recent years that focus on him and perhaps have a good batman villain involved too?

He had a mini which tied into Battle for the Cowl written by Fabien Nicieza, who then started an ongoing which was taken over by David Hine.
Unfortunatly theres a gap in the trades;

http://www.comicvine.com/azrael/4050-28873/

Other than appearences in Batman Inc, i think thats your lot.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Peel » Nov 2nd, 2015, 8:59 pm

DarkFlux wrote:
Peel wrote:I'm looking to get into reading some Azrael stories (In particular, just ones about the Michael Lane version, not the Jean-Paul Valley version) as I've really grown to like him as a Batman ally following his appearances in the Arkham. Are there any good standalone stories released in recent years that focus on him and perhaps have a good batman villain involved too?

He had a mini which tied into Battle for the Cowl written by Fabien Nicieza, who then started an ongoing which was taken over by David Hine.
Unfortunatly theres a gap in the trades;

http://www.comicvine.com/azrael/4050-28873/

Other than appearences in Batman Inc, i think thats your lot.

I'll see if I can buy it on Amazon, thank you! :alfred:

Azrael Deaths: Dark Knight also looks really good and seems to be fairly new so I'll pick that up while I'm at it.
Peel

Postby Prisoner 4011 » Nov 2nd, 2015, 9:00 pm

To anyone who hasn't read Selina's Big Score, get it right now! It's the most amazing Catwoman story ever told!
Prisoner 4011

Postby The man who laughs » Nov 7th, 2015, 9:52 am

The man who laughs wrote:Any good under rated, lesser known batman stories preferably graphic novels recommendations for me?
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Postby batman404 » Nov 7th, 2015, 11:04 am

The man who laughs wrote:Any good under rated, lesser known batman stories preferably graphic novels recommendations for me?

Whenever someone asks this question the first two books that come to mind are The Cult and Year 100. There are a lot though, I guess it just depends on your definition of underrated.
Last edited by batman404 on Nov 7th, 2015, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion