Recommendations

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Recommendations

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 16th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Rasengan2000 wrote:Could somebody show me a place to buy Batman RIP Deluxe Edition? And any recommendations that would give me more insight into Morrison's run?

http://www.kingscomics.com/product_list ... e&Variable[ProductCodeID]=OCT080163
^Just highlight and copy the full url

My regular store here in Australia (not sure where you're from) but they ship internationally as well. The link is for the HC Deluxe Edition of Batman RIP. Currently out of stock but if it's still being printed they can get it in within about 2 weeks.

Hope that helps. Kings Comics is where I get all my stuff from because they're reliable and have never let me down. I'm currently getting the DC Chess Collection through them even though it's unavailable for subscription in Australia.

BlackLightning wrote:X-Men? You've come to the right mumhugger

This made me laugh :lol:

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Rasengan2000 » Jul 18th, 2012, 2:21 am

I'll look 'round the site, but the full link 404'd. Anywhere else?
Rasengan2000

Favourite Villain: The Talon
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 21st, 2012, 9:30 am

Rasengan2000 wrote:I'll look 'round the site, but the full link 404'd. Anywhere else?

Honestly just look around and check places like Amazon or any other online book store, but Kings Comics is literally my heaven. Just go to their main website and browse around. Unless something is out of print they'll most probably have it or be able to get it

TFDutchman

Postby Euan3112 » Jul 24th, 2012, 1:02 am

I want to start reading Marvel before all their phase 2 movies start getting released ( Thor 2, Iron Man 3, etc ) Can anybody recommend me anything good with Marvel.

Thor
Iron Man
Captain America
Spider-Man
X-Men ( Although I Kinda Know Some Of Them )
Hulk

Pwetty Pwease
Euan3112

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby batman404 » Jul 24th, 2012, 3:00 am

Euan3112 wrote:I want to start reading Marvel before all their phase 2 movies start getting released ( Thor 2, Iron Man 3, etc ) Can anybody recommend me anything good with Marvel.

Thor
Iron Man
Captain America
Spider-Man
Hulk

Pwetty Pwease

Some of my favourites featuring the characters you mentioned...

The Ultimates 1 & 2
Iron Man: Extremis
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run
Marvels & Marvels: Eye of the Camera (my favourite Marvel books)

Hope that helps. :)
Last edited by batman404 on Jul 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 24th, 2012, 3:23 am

Euan3112 wrote:I want to start reading Marvel before all their phase 2 movies start getting released ( Thor 2, Iron Man 3, etc ) Can anybody recommend me anything good with Marvel.

Thor
Iron Man
Captain America
Spider-Man
Hulk

Pwetty Pwease

Well it all depends on whether or not you wanna read some stuff that may have relevance to the upcoming films or it you just wanna read anything in general.

If the latter I would recommend:
The Ultimates and pretty much any of the Ultimate versions of those characters listed. Ultimates covers Hulk, Captain America and Hulk.
You also have Ultimate Spider-Man series and the Ultimate X-Men series. Ultimate Thor. Ultimate Captain America.

Ultimate Power is brilliant if you want a story that gives you a whole range of characters. Ultimates, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, X-Men. I absolutely love this one and highly recommend it.

Undoubtedly you have to grab Captain America Winter Soldier to prepare you for what the next Cap movie will be about.

I really loved the Age of X story arc for X-Men. Kind of an alternate reality where the X-Men were never formed, Man went to war against the mutants and all mutants (former X-Men included) are all rallied together under Magneto's lead.

House of M is a great story that features a mix of the Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man.

Iron Man Extremis is definitely a good choice to highlight some potential story points being used for the new Iron Man.

The Thanos Imperative, Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest are my go to books for the Guardians of the Galaxy if you wanna get to know them before the movie. You can always find GOTG Vol 1 Legacy to really introduce you to the team.

Fear Itself is also another great team story that features the Avengers, Spider-Man, etc. but very much focuses on Thor.

TFDutchman

Postby batman404 » Jul 24th, 2012, 3:43 am

^ Completely forgot about Ultimate Spider-Man! That definitely should of been on my list.

@ Euan3112... If you're just after good Marvel stories in general let me know. There are a lot of good Marvel books around!
batman404

Postby Euan3112 » Jul 24th, 2012, 4:19 am

batman404 and TFDutchman thanks, I'll check them out.

I was kinda looking for both general marvel books and ones which will connect to the movies so i can go all nerd on my friends when i see references to the books.
Euan3112

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby batman404 » Jul 24th, 2012, 5:17 am

^ Excellent! I've listed most of my favourite Marvel books before so i'll just copy & paste what I wrote back in the day...

"Marvels
Marvels: Eye Of The Camera
Wolverine (by Chris Claremont & Frank Miller)
Origin (Wolverine)
Old Man Logan
Logan
Weapon X
Enemy Of The State (Wolverine)
Daredevil: Born Again
Marvel: 1602
Spider-Man: Reign
Iron Man: Extremis
Elektra: Assassin
Man Without Fear (Daredevil)
Kick-Ass
Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale's colour books
The Ultimates 1 & 2

I'll stop there, even though there are a lot more."

Kick-Ass isn't really "Marvel" but it does come from one of their imprints.

Off the top of my head i'd add Ultimate Spider-Man, Punisher: Welcome Back Frank & Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation.

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by batman404 on Jul 26th, 2012, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
batman404

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 24th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Euan3112 wrote:batman404 and TFDutchman thanks, I'll check them out.

I was kinda looking for both general marvel books and ones which will connect to the movies so i can go all nerd on my friends when i see references to the books.

Then you most definitely need Captain America Winter Soldier and Iron Man Extremis. Hard to recommend something for Thor in relation to the new movie cause still not entirely certain what will be involved. Same difficulty for Guardians of the Galaxy. However either Legacy or Thanos Imperative are probably good ones to tackle. With Guardians of the Galaxy featuring both Drax the Destroyer and Gamora, chances are Thanos will be a major player in the film so Thanos centric stories might be good to look for such as Infinity Gauntlet.

TFDutchman

Postby Dick Grayson » Jul 25th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Sorry for posting a question which has most likely been asked several times on the forums already but I'm lazy.

Yeah, so I've been a huge Batman fan since I was a little kid. I like the more realistic-way Batman universe in the Nolan movies, but for the comics style suit the games much better. I know pretty much what have happened in the comics but have never read them much for some reason. I haven't read much of them, only 2 collection books when I was younger. The first had just some different stories including Catwoman and Penguin as it was published at the time Batman Returns came out I guess. The second included some stories about Hugo Strange and had "The Laughing Fish" story aswell. Read also 3 or 4 first issues of the Arkham Unhinged series.

I started the Knightfall story arc a few days ago and I've enjoyed it a lot. Where should I "start" after that? I guess the most legendary stories like The Killing Joke, TDK Returns, Year One and The Long Halloween should've been in my list at least, but what would be a good order? Also I'm interested in some Nightwing stories... :)

Thanks.
Dick Grayson

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby CrazyQuilt » Jul 26th, 2012, 1:23 am

Spiderman recommendation? I havnt read any so dont hold back
CrazyQuilt

Favourite Villain: Two-face
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 26th, 2012, 3:07 am

CrazyQuilt wrote:Spiderman recommendation? I havnt read any so dont hold back

You've come to the right place :lol:

Ultimate Spider-Man is a good way to get the story from the beginning, bar a few altered origins like Venom and Carnage. But if you wanna get the origin of the character than Ultimate Spider-Man is a good way to go.

But when it comes to mainstream Spidey it all depends really on how well you know the character and how comfortable you are with jumping into it. Naturally you could grab the Marvel Masterworks releases or the Essential Spider-Man releases which go all the way back to Amazing Fantasy #15.

But if you're more comfortable just jumping into a great Spider-Man story:
The Gauntlet. 5 books total which is then followed by Grim Hunt.

Carnage: Family Feud and Carnage: USA are more recent but great Carnage stories.

The Complete Clone Saga or Complete Ben Reilly Saga.

Ends of the Earth was just released and is the most recent Spider-Man story.

Death of Gwen Stacy

One of my favourites is the Lethal Foes of Spider-Man and Deadly Foes of Spider-Man.

If you're looking for a great Spider-Man/lots of other heroes story then give House of M a read. Very emotional story for Spider-Man.

Civil War is another great story because while it's focused mostly on the Avengers, there's a really great Spider-Man moment. You could also grab the Civil War: Spider-Man book which focuses entirely on him during the events of Civil War.

Marvel 1602: Spider-Man is an interesting alternate story of what it would be like if Spider-Man lived in 1602. Spider-Man Noir is also interesting in a similar regard.

Birth of Venom obviously a great place to go if you wanna see the real origin of the character rather than the less than appealing (in my opinion anyway) Ultimate version of the character.

I could keep going but really if you're just starting off then I'd suggest Ultimate Spider-Man as a good starting off point to sort of introduce you to the characters (though they do differ from the mainstream comics obviously) but then there are some really good Spider-Man stories out there and these are just a few of the ones I think people would be interested in checking out

-- Jul 26th, 2012, 1:09 pm --

Oh, how could I possibly forget Spider-Man: Season One. It's a recent release this year, but in similar ideals to the Superman and Batman Earth One comics, Season One retells the origins of a lot of Marvel Heroes as jumping on points for readers. Spider-Man: Season One is definitely a great starting point.

-- Jul 26th, 2012, 1:15 pm --

Dick Grayson wrote:Sorry for posting a question which has most likely been asked several times on the forums already but I'm lazy.

Yeah, so I've been a huge Batman fan since I was a little kid. I like the more realistic-way Batman universe in the Nolan movies, but for the comics style suit the games much better. I know pretty much what have happened in the comics but have never read them much for some reason. I haven't read much of them, only 2 collection books when I was younger. The first had just some different stories including Catwoman and Penguin as it was published at the time Batman Returns came out I guess. The second included some stories about Hugo Strange and had "The Laughing Fish" story aswell. Read also 3 or 4 first issues of the Arkham Unhinged series.

I started the Knightfall story arc a few days ago and I've enjoyed it a lot. Where should I "start" after that? I guess the most legendary stories like The Killing Joke, TDK Returns, Year One and The Long Halloween should've been in my list at least, but what would be a good order? Also I'm interested in some Nightwing stories... :)

Thanks.

Year One would be the best thing to read next if you want any sort of order. Take yourself right back to the beginning to see a really good origin story. Killing Joker. Long Halloween. Definitely add No Man's Land into your list. After No Man's Land I always recommend Hush.

See I generally don't read in any sort of order, I just read what interests me most and catches my attention because I work out the continuity of where the story fits in my head. But No Man's Land, Hush, Heart of Hush are all great reads. I'd recommend Joker's Asylum 1 and 2 if you wanted some great small stories to give you a twisted look inside the personalities of some of the villains.

Azzarello's Joker is a great read. A slew of villains but you get behind the scenes with the Clown Prince. It's a one-off story but it's brilliant in my opinion. I love it.

Streets Of Gotham comes after the Hush comics, but I'm thoroughly enjoying them. Takes place during a time when Dick Grayson is Batman and Damian Wayne is Robin.

TFDutchman

Postby Jokerkim » Sep 18th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Any Catwoman comic books/graphic novels to recommend out there?
"They do The Dark Knight, and I did The Bright Knight." -Adam West
Jokerkim

Favourite Villain: Joker/The Riddler

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Sep 18th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Well... I haven't read a comic for a long time, I stopped reading when Dick took the role of Batman(for me Bruce Wayne it's the only and the best Batman), so I've lost some things around this long time, and the 52 series sounds so confusing, but I would like to know, should I start reading again ? Does it really worth?
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion