Batman: Earth One

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Batman: Earth One

Postby Elliott » Jul 12th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Has anyone read it? I've just finished, and I've got to say...

Meh.

I must admit I went in with high hopes, Year One is a classic, and I love stories that focus on Batman's early years; unfortunately what we get here is a book that lays some interesting, if half-baked premises and then spectacularly fails to deliver on a single one.

I feel very let down, the characters are terribly written (Bullock of all people is the best character!), and the 140 odd pages leaves the story incredibly cramped and anti-climatic.

Art was brilliant though.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Batman: Earth One

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 13th, 2012, 7:10 am

I just received it in one of my orders and I'll read it tonight. I really loved Superman: Earth One and I enjoyed Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern so I'm hoping for something good out of it.

^ If that's your opinion on the characters then perhaps Johns should've gone with Green Lantern: Earth One instead. That I'd love to see. And then hand Batman over to someone else, but I'll decide for myself later on

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Red_Robin » Jul 13th, 2012, 7:34 am

There was plenty to enjoy, but not enough time to get to grips with anything. Needed to be longer. Bullock worked well, especially leading to his new 'hobby' at the end.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby TheHauntedKnight » Jul 13th, 2012, 7:41 am

I havent read it yet, but is it true Batman is depicted as not being very good at what he does? Like the detective and fighting aspect and such?
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
TheHauntedKnight

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby AustinKAD » Jul 13th, 2012, 7:49 am

Well everyone has to remember he's not gonna be the best right away. The book is about when he just started being Batman, you'll have to wait and see how he evolves in the next one. Because the next Superman Earth One is coming soon. I'd love to see a Justice League Earth One, but that'll probably take awhile. I thought that Earth One had been canceled because of the New 52. I mean Superman Earth One came out in 2010 and here we are just now getting the second installment of Earth One in 2012.
"You of all people should know, there's plenty wrong with me. Ha Ha Ha!
AustinKAD

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman And Robin

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 13th, 2012, 8:45 am

I just finished reading it and in actual fact I really enjoyed it. I agree with Red Robin that it could've been longer. They could've gone more in depth and given more time to some of the characters, especially Bruce, Alfred and Gordon. But Geoff Johns still gets the story across and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Geoff Johns has never disappointed me.

The artwork was fantastic. I loved it. I especially love the last few pages that set up for Volume 2 and showing off who the next villain will be.

I agree that Bullock was probably one of the most interesting and how he turns out by the end of it.

I really enjoyed it and I gotta say that I'm loving the Earth One series. I can't wait for Superman Volume 2 in November and hopefully it won't be too long before we see more of the DC Roster introduced into Earth One. Perhaps after all the characters are established we'll see a Justice League: Earth One. Perhaps Warner Bros. should take a look and consider using Earth One as it's inspiration for establishing all the DC Movie Franchises.

With Nolan's Trilogy coming to an end next week I think that the next Batman series (in hopefully at least 6-7yrs time, please WB give it a rest for a while) should be based either off of the Arkhamverse Batman or the Earth One Batman.

TFDutchman

Postby Elliott » Jul 13th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I think I enjoy a slower pace to most, if volume 2 is going to focus on all the elements implied by the end, I feel that will be equally cramped!

I'll elaborate:

The Characters:
Some fresh innovations, Alfred obviously being the stand-out, but no depth. At the start we're treated to Alfred spinning around an chiding Thomas about responsibility, referencing their actions in "the desert" (One would assume Afghanistan based on the time period) what could have been an interesting plot point, or a story that Alfred would tell Bruce explaining a possible "greater good" is simply dropped there, and we learn little else about Alfred's past.

Then we have Bruce, I liked the impression of the spoilt child in the flashback, it added an extra element of guilt to his parents death; but the problem is we never get past that, as a grown man Bruce is purely driven by childish vengeance: This isn't the first time we've seen the hot-headed young Batman, but in Year One you get a sense of a restless Bruce Wayne, who's trying to make his chosen destiny work for him but knows something's holding him back, and only until he embraces the darkness do we see the Dark Knight; and we get a sense that he deserved it, he worked for it and he understands what he has become.

Earth One's Bruce Wayne, much like the spoilt child we begin with; has it all given to him from the beginning (Admittedly the Arkham/Wayne Bat motif was a nice touch) and he's fully prepared to give it up once he's got what he wants. I can attribute this to the apparent lack of world travelling in which Bruce learns of justice over vengeance, as it's implied he was trained solely by Alfred, but it's an unpleasant taste...

Bruce's transformation into Batman is just as unconvincing to me, the scene were Alfred rightfully calls Bruce out for his actions and then kicks his ass (Best scene of the comic book, I was very impressed with that direction) before Bruce commits to doing whatever's needed and kicking Alfred's wounded leg; which would've been a great defining moment for say, the Punisher, but not Batman. Batman isn't prepared to do whatever it takes: He doesn't carry a gun, he doesn't pass judgement and he does not kill. The scene would have played much better with Bruce outsmarting Alfred and then lecturing him that whilst he will fight criminals, he'll never go down to their level, out of respect for his parents or something... Nonetheless the scene does build for some character building at the end when Bruce realises he can't actually do everything by himself.

I'll come back to this after a re-read, I read it late at night, so perhaps I didn't fully absorb it, but my other main problems are Gordon, the lack of fleshing out of the villains and the somewhat unconvincing step from Batman going from vengeance to justice.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 13th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I think that's generally the problem anyone would have with it. Length. I mean even as it is it's easy to understand.

Gordon is a cop afraid of the city and afraid to do anything for fear of his daughter's safety after the loss of his wife. By the end we see him transform into the tougher Gordon that is willing to stand up to anyone and everyone to take down criminals and put them in their place.

Alfred is a war veteran and old friend of Thomas Wayne. Reluctant at first to take care of Bruce but does so for Thomas's memory and sake and willingly trains Bruce in combat.

Bruce a spoilt rich child driven to become Batman by pure vengeance and revenge and it's not until after the villains are defeated and the truth about his parents death revealed that he comes to the realisation that Batman shouldn't just have been about getting revenge, but should be a symbol fighting against all crime.

Bullock a hot shot TV Detective who doesn't understand the way the city works driven to despair and drinking after witnessing the horrors of Gotham.

Barbara a curious girl who's completely unafraid of the city and obviously intelligent.

Cobblepot, Mayor of Gotham, ruthless and willing to do whatever it takes to keep the city under his control.

The basic information and background for all the characters is there and is enough to drive the story forward, it's just going to be personal taste as to whether or not people think there should've been a little more development to each of the characters, but for me the point got across and I understood the characters and their motives regardless of how little time was spent on them.

TFDutchman

Postby Red_Robin » Jul 13th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Babs' Batgirl drawing was the worst thing in the book. Bruce JUST became Batman; why tease a sidekick?
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 14th, 2012, 2:59 am

Red_Robin wrote:Babs' Batgirl drawing was the worst thing in the book. Bruce JUST became Batman; why tease a sidekick?

Yea that kind of annoyed me too. I generally have a thing against sidekicks, but when you're starting out a new story and Batman's only had one real outing, it's a little soon for someone to be dreaming of becoming his partner.

I'm probably more excited for Superman Volume 2. So I'm kinda hoping that even though they've teased Batgirl for the future that she still won't appear until later. Either that of Johns and the guys behind Earth One seem to be in a rush to turn her into Oracle. Also a matter of how much time takes place between each book whether the next one will pick up straight where this one left off, a few months down the road or even an entire year into Bruce's life as Batman.

TFDutchman

Postby Batwoman » Jul 14th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Haven't read it yet. But I read the priview and gotta say that what annoyed me a lot is Alfred. Everything: his look, him training Bruce and bla bla bla...
I loved Batman's suit.
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby TFDutchman » Jul 15th, 2012, 3:22 am

RedRobin1999 wrote:Haven't read it yet. But I read the priview and gotta say that what annoyed me a lot is Alfred. Everything: his look, him training Bruce and bla bla bla...
I loved Batman's suit.

I liked the new background for Alfred. Ex-military, lost his leg, skilled fighter, reluctant guardian and teacher to Bruce. He's a great balance to the spoilt, reckless young Bruce.

TFDutchman

Postby Trueman0510 » Jul 18th, 2012, 10:22 am

I really want to read this book. The changes that have been made to the origin (such as Alfred), sound really interesting and I wanna see how they work over the course of the story.
Trueman0510

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Joe Chill » Jul 31st, 2012, 6:26 am

I loved every minute of this book. I thought the characters, story, conflict, everything was top notch.

Of course it wasn't perfect, but the artwork not only was fantastic, but everyone's role - Penguin as mayor, etc - was well done, too.

My only complaint is that I wish the "Birthday Boy" serial killer would have been a well-known Bats villain - Zsasz or Bane? Nitpicking here, though.
Joe Chill
Global Mod
Global Mod

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby Harvey Bullock » Aug 16th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Elliott wrote:Has anyone read it? I've just finished, and I've got to say...

Meh.

I must admit I went in with high hopes, Year One is a classic, and I love stories that focus on Batman's early years; unfortunately what we get here is a book that lays some interesting, if half-baked premises and then spectacularly fails to deliver on a single one.

I feel very let down, the characters are terribly written (Bullock of all people is the best character!), and the 140 odd pages leaves the story incredibly cramped and anti-climatic.

Art was brilliant though.

Agree with what you've said. Bullock can be an incredibly complex character once you get into his head, Gotham Central did that well.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Next

Return to Comic Discussion