Batman: Earth One

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Batman: Earth One

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 1st, 2013, 9:15 pm

I enjoyed Earth One but I really don`t like Geoff Johns take on Batman . The character he wrote in this book has little in common with the Batman I know aside from the costume. Granted , that could be because he still has to go through a lot of character development . Perhaps volume 2 will show how Bruce becomes the Batman that we all know and love .
Last edited by MaxSchreck on Apr 1st, 2013, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Pieter » Apr 1st, 2013, 10:18 pm

The Story is far from bad but I think Geoff Johns Does a Poor Batman!!
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby batman404 » May 7th, 2015, 11:05 am

So pumped for this, loved the first one. :batman:
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby MaxSchreck » May 7th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I really want to read Volume 2, but I am not sure if I will like it. Hopefully Bruce will be a competent Detective at the end and not the Batman who blunders everytime he goes out to fight crime we saw in Volume 1.

Does anyone know how many volumes there´ll be after this one? I think I read somewhere that Volume 3 will be the finale of the saga.

MaxSchreck

Postby Harvey Bullock » May 11th, 2015, 1:16 am

I must be the only person in the entire Batman community who really detested the first one. Geoff Johns doesn't do a good Batman.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby MaxSchreck » May 11th, 2015, 1:38 am

Harvey Bullock wrote:I must be the only person in the entire Batman community who really detested the first one. Geoff Johns doesn't do a good Batman.

As far as I know it got lots of criticism from Batman fans. Mostly because Bruce isn´t shown as professional as he is usually depicted.

I´d be okay with that if there was some kind of learning process noticeable within the story. But if I remember correctly all we got in the first Volume was that Bruce failed everytime he went on patrol as Batman and then had to be saved by somebody.

And I also really don´t like this version of Gordon and Bullock. I get that this is supposed to be another take on the Batman mythos, but why make Gordon into a còp that turns a blind eye towards corruption and Harvey into a pretty boy? Because its the complete opposite of how they are usually depicted? Just seems pointless and uninteresting to me.

MaxSchreck

Postby batman404 » May 11th, 2015, 7:20 am

Harvey Bullock wrote:I must be the only person in the entire Batman community who really detested the first one. Geoff Johns doesn't do a good Batman.

Seriously? I've heard about as much negativity as I have positivity when it comes to the first book.

-

I think going into it a lot of people were expecting the exact same characters featured in almost every other Batman book on the shelf and were disappointed when that wasn't the case, but the whole point of these Earth One books is to show a different take on the characters we're all so familiar with.

Some people don't like the changes, which is fair, but complaining about the characters not being what you're used to when it comes to a book like this is just odd to me. I for one like the changes, if they were cannon I'd probably change my tune a bit but this is an "Elseworlds" book and the essence of the characters are still there, just altered somewhat in order to tell a unique Batman story. One that I really dig. :adam:
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby MaxSchreck » May 22nd, 2015, 11:23 am

Totally forgot to post my opinion on Volume 2 :oldyella:

Geoff Johns really did a great job with this one. Batman still isn´t the perfect crimefighter that we know, but he seems to learn quick. His take on the Riddler and Killer Croc was also very good, and this time I quite enjoyed the new Harvey Bullock.

Definately looking forward to Volume 3 now. By then Batman should have everything that he needs to properly protect Gotham, the gadgets, the martial arts and the detective skills.
Hopefully he will also become a symbol that inspires the people of Gotham. To me thats one of the most important aspects of the character. Without it he is little more than an angry vigilante.

MaxSchreck

Previous

Return to Comic Discussion