Batman: Earth One

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Batman: Earth One

Postby Two-Faced » Aug 16th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I felt the book was a good read overall, but with little characterisation outside Bruce, Alfred and Gordon.

I did like the fact we get to see a nod to "potential" future villains.

Spoiler: show
The Crane Institute

Harvey with a twin, might force even more duality

Obviously the Riddler

Birthday boy could be a recurring villain.

I feel that they have gone Nolan with Bruce now relying on someone else for gadgetry.

I have a feeling that in Vol.2 we could see a clown being born. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Head or Tails, Kitty Cat?
Two-Faced

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Face the Face

Postby Pieter » Aug 16th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Batman earth one was great but year one was better and in comparison to superman earth one i actually enjoyed superman earth one more.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby TFDutchman » Aug 18th, 2012, 5:17 am

Superman Earth One is definitely the superior of the two. Can't wait for Vol 2 coming out in November.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Pieter » Aug 18th, 2012, 1:15 pm

TFDutchman wrote:Superman Earth One is definitely the superior of the two. Can't wait for Vol 2 coming out in November.

Yeah and i think its beacuse we have alot of stories involving batmans first year that are good but IMO not much about superman.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby TFDutchman » Aug 19th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Well personally I think what I found best about Superman Earth One was that it really examined Clark in a different way. Young 20yr who has lost his adoptive father, knows nothing about where he comes from, has this super strength, speed and flight and beyond genius level intellect. It doesn't present him as the kind of person who just decides that he's going to use these powers to help others but actually considers his various options with his only concern being taking care of his adoptive mother. To somewhat fit in and not be an outcast. Having a global alien invasion be the thing that pushes Clark to become Superman is a great way to show the evolution of the character in becoming a hero rather than just putting on his cape because he feels he has the power to do so. It shows a very human aspect to the character which can only be expected of him having been raised on Earth which I personally feel is lacking in most versions of Superman. Hence this is why I'm really excited for Man of Steel because it looks to follow a similar path of character growth for Clark that rather than just put on the cape he goes off, explores the world and attempts to find a place where he fits in.

Batman, however, his story has been pretty well perfectly developed and there's very little more you can expand upon and explore in his origins. Funnily enough I find that the New 52 Court of Owls could be a rather good story to use for a rebooted Batman film as it takes place in a time when Bruce is already Batman, but delves into his origins to tie into the present. A rather clever way of covering Bruce's origins without going into completely full detail for the first issue of the New 52 Batman.

TFDutchman

Postby The Oracle » Aug 21st, 2012, 12:52 am

I just picked it up and read it. I absolutely loved it. The art, the characters (but I wasn't a fan of Lucius being so young), the new Alfred. But, I really was not a fan of the villain, Birthday Boy. If they needed a serial killer, I think they should have used Zsasz. I'd say everything else, however, was great.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Sep 22nd, 2012, 4:34 am

I could consider in take a look on this Graphic Novel, but first can someone tell me who are the villains?
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc

Postby The Oracle » Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:00 am

BrunoBKMazing wrote:I could consider in take a look on this Graphic Novel, but first can someone tell me who are the villains?

Birthday Boy (new villain), (not telling since it is fun to see his reveal but he is an iconic Batman rogue) and a thug named Axe.
The Oracle

Postby TFDutchman » Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:35 am

The Gotham Knight wrote:
BrunoBKMazing wrote:I could consider in take a look on this Graphic Novel, but first can someone tell me who are the villains?

Birthday Boy (new villain), (not telling since it is fun to see his reveal but he is an iconic Batman rogue) and a thug named Axe.

Don't forget Penguin. More of a corrupt mayor that uses Birthday Boy for his own corrupt gains.

TFDutchman

Postby The Oracle » Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:45 am

TFDutchman wrote:
The Gotham Knight wrote:

Don't forget Penguin. More of a corrupt mayor that uses Birthday Boy for his own corrupt gains.

That was kinda the bolded one.
The Oracle

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm

The Gotham Knight wrote:

Birthday Boy? This name is a little ridiculous, I never heard about him, is this his first and last appearance?
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc

Postby The Oracle » Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:55 pm

BrunoBKMazing wrote:
The Gotham Knight wrote:

Birthday Boy? This name is a little ridiculous, I never heard about him, is this his first and last appearance?

It is. The villain really isn't the highlight though, in fact I really don't like him, the highlight is the new take on Batman's origin.
The Oracle

Postby TheWatchfulGuardian_ » Sep 24th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Yeah Birthday Boy sounds pretty lame.
But i still might get it.
I love origin stories, i dont know why because some hate them, but i just enjoy them
TheWatchfulGuardian_

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby batman404 » Apr 1st, 2013, 6:02 pm

Just finished listening to the Geoff Johns Fat Man on Batman interview (which was great) and he briefly spoke about volume 2 of Earth One.

Spoiler: show
He said that the two main villains will be Riddler (obvious to anyone who read volume 1) and Killer Croc. He also mentioned that Robin, Catwoman and Clayface will be appearing at some point, but not necessarily in volume 2.

I love Earth One so i'm really looking forward to volume 2!
Last edited by batman404 on Apr 6th, 2013, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 1st, 2013, 6:04 pm

I didn't really like Earth One that much. I didn't particularly like the new interpretation which is a shame, because I wanted to like it.

Regardless, I'll probably end up buying it anyway.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion