DC Universe: The New 52 Thread

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Universe: The New 52 Thread

Postby BuNKiTZ » Mar 28th, 2016, 11:36 am

For those unaware, we've got a thread for DC Rebirth now :D
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Dick » May 1st, 2016, 5:14 pm

Soooo Justice League #49
Spoiler: show
Lol Superwoman giving birth through her costume like ok

Also Steve killing Mobius lmfao
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby DatBat » May 1st, 2016, 6:20 pm

Dick wrote:
Spoiler: show
Lol Superwoman giving birth through her costume like ok

WTF?! I guess I'm glad I don't keep up with comics regularly. Really though I really only start reading series once they finish and are available in collected volumes and stuff. I'll have to finally finish all the New 52 series I like once they all end. Honestly with New 52 and Rebirth and all, I'm not even sure what series still exist and what are ended and what's new and it's so confusing and this is why I like shorter series like Watchmen or V for Vendetta because they don't have a million issues and they don't have stories that also are occurring in other series and if you don't read both you'll be confused (which is why I haven't been able to get into the Star Wars comics, the stories all overlap and AHHHHHHHHHH).

Comic Rant in general:
I know he's really controversial but when I start thinking about all the craziness of modern comics, I really appreciate Alan Moore. Sure his work is pretty gratuitous and maybe a little pretentious in some way, and apparently he hates like almost all of his work, but considering he's behind my favorite series of all time, Watchmen, and two other series/GNs that I love and are totally in my top 10, V for Vendetta and the Killing Joke. I really need to check out From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Alan Moore is one of those authors that, while his work is really bizarre and over the top and honestly seems to verge on "oooooh yeah this is hardcore and gritty" just for the sake of it, I love his work so much. I don't know a whole lot about him, but he's behind some of my favorite comics (and they qualify as some of my favorite pieces of literature in general). It really does suck that he's very much distanced himself from the mainstream comic book scene, but it makes sense because most of the comic book industry (while I still enjoy lots of current comics) is the exact opposite of Alan Moore's work. And while I really enjoy his characters, I'm glad there's not a whole lot of other comics about them. It would kill me to see someone attempt to tackle the V for Vendetta universe, because I know that they'd try to make it more generally appealing and end up taking out a lot of the political commentary (I don't even know if I agree with some of the political stances Alan Moore seems to ascribe to based on his work, but I have to respect the fact that he's made this work to express himself and be artistic, not to be as mass-appealing as possible and make stacks of cash, which he just so happened to probably do considering how successful his work has been over the years) I've heard that Before Watchmen was good though, but I'd imagine they tried to make the characters more heroic, and the great thing about works like Watchmen is the fact that the characters never really fall into "good guy/bad guy" roles. Even the villain of the story has motivations that are thoroughly explained, and a lot of the people who are "superheroes" are terrible people. Hooded Justice was apparently a Nazi sympathizer. Comedian was downright despicable, as he was a rapist and even murdered a woman he impregnated, yet the book's story is about these retired heroes banding back together to discover who killed him. Rorschach is seemingly a fascist in some of his writings, and also comes off very misogynistic, not to mention the facts that he constantly insults his friends and murders even when there are other ways to solve the problem. Doc Manhattan literally starts to distance himself from humanity and loses all regard for human life. The list goes on and on. Comics now try to make everyone marketable. Harley Quinn is portrayed as a Deadpool-like antihero to make her more marketable, a decision they made due to her extreme popularity. There's barely ever villains that have motives that go beyond revenge plots or mental illness. Instead of having deaths of characters be impactful and mean something, they're just temporary plot devices until the character is miraculously back within a month or two. Alan Moore's comics may be rather morally grey, but in my opinion that's what makes them so great. In real life, everybody has a legitimate motive. Modern comics are fun, but often come across as mature due to extreme violence and sensuality, but have simple plots a small child could understand. That's maturity for the sake of maturity. Alan Moore's work is often criticized for being too mature, but at least the story behind the maturity takes a mature mind to understand, which in my opinion justifies it.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby Mani-Man » May 4th, 2016, 10:08 am

Im surprised that nobody talked about Snyders last Batman Issue.

I kind of liked Batman 51...it had a nice approach that gives the new writer a base and a clean start.
Giving more insight in a rather peacefull gotham was nice...visually it was awesome as everything Capullo does.

So yeah, i liked it actually.
Mani-Man

Postby Batwoman » Jul 26th, 2016, 12:44 am

Mani-Man wrote:Im surprised that nobody talked about Snyders last Batman Issue.

I kind of liked Batman 51...it had a nice approach that gives the new writer a base and a clean start.
Giving more insight in a rather peacefull gotham was nice...visually it was awesome as everything Capullo does.

So yeah, i liked it actually.

The first comic-book series I really began to collect was New 52 Batman by Snyder. I still remember buying the first three issues of it at my local comic store. It was a rainy and cloudy day and then I ate at McDonald's :-P

I tried collecting all the series, and I do have every single first print of every issue from issue 1 to 30. It was at that point, mid-2014, that I began to lose my interest in super-hero comics. Also, comics became really, REALLY expensive where I live and imports began to be delayed due to some economical issues or something. Now, I bought most of the Superheavy arc last week and I'm desperately looking for issues 31,32,33,34, the Endgame arc and a couple of other issues.

I dunno why I'm writing this, I guess that after buying and reading issue 51, I feel that a lot has come full-circle apart from the series. I'm really gonna miss this book/team. After I complete this series, I'm going full-on digital with my comics. Highly recommend the website readcomics.com and Comic Castle.
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Previous

Return to Comic Discussion