DC Universe: The New 52 Thread

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Universe: The New 52 Thread

Postby Red leader » Feb 4th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Mani-Man wrote:Im wondering what the best approach would be for DC with this whole Rebirth thing.

Going back to pre new 52, trying to merge it with a new one, creating a new one that is a hybrid?
What should DC do?

I also havent seen much advice from the fanbase.
You mostly see people say that the rebirth thing should fix the comics, that they need to go back to being good...but i havent seen many well thought and written ideas as to how to fix the whole thing.
Im currently thinking about this myself.
What is wrong with the new 52, what should change.

Maybe it would be a good idea for DC to go to the fans with advice...you know since the fans are the ones who buy the comics.

What the fans buy comics? But what about all those tons and tons of new readers who totally exist and are not just A figment of dido's imagination?
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby Mani-Man » Feb 4th, 2016, 2:32 pm

New Readers are also fans, even those who only bought one book...i consider them fans too.
To me it seems like the DC team sits in their office and thinks about what they like, instead of looking what the people who buy their comics like.
Mani-Man

Postby Red leader » Feb 4th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Mani-Man wrote:New Readers are also fans, even those who only bought one book...i consider them fans too.
To me it seems like the DC team sits in their office and thinks about what they like, instead of looking what the people who buy their comics like.

I'm not talking about actual new readers I mean the ones that don't exist that dido talks about. This whole "DC you" thing has been for readers who aren't there. They say they want to make comics for every audience but in doing so alienated the readers and didn't really bring new readers in. I am not talking about people who want to get into comics cause those people are being pushed aside as well cause the moment they get into comics there is all these constant changes. I am talking about this stupid notion that they need to change the entire universe just to get new readers when any actual new readers don't care about having a "hip" superman with jeans or a mech suit batman.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Red leader

Postby Dick » Feb 15th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Geoff Johns and Dan the Dildo posted this today

Lol okay DC that's what you said about the New52 and look what happened
Dick

Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Red leader » Feb 15th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Dick wrote:Geoff Johns and Dan the Dildo posted this today

Lol okay DC that's what you said about the New52 and look what happened

DC comics, where broken promises are to be expected. Every time I read w back issue that says "we draw the line at 2.99" I die a little inside.
Red leader

Postby Mani-Man » Feb 16th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Of course they wont call it a reboot...the way they tried to make everybody believe the new 52 is such a great thing, this is no surprise.

Calling it a reboot, would mean to aknowledge that the new 52 wasnt as awesome as they want us to believe.
We will see what they do with this.
Mani-Man

Postby Mr Wayne » Feb 16th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I loved the new 52 runs that I read. I just lost track when they did all the Convergence and the other cross overs. I felt like I had to read the others, which I just didnt have time for which lead to me stopping =[.

I hope whatever they do they dont do as many crossovers so I can read Batman Flash and Superman in peace aha!

Wonder if theyll......'merge' it with the movies. Make Batman older, Supes less powerful (think they did that already?) but I dont know. Will keep a close eye and hope whatever they do they give me another Court/Night of the Owls quality story.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby The Oracle » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:06 am

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/action-comics-detective-comics-return-original-numbering-rebirth

More details about DC Comics' mysterious "Rebirth" event have been revealed to CBR in an exclusive interview with DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, where the writer revealed that "Rebirth" will focus on re-instilling a sense of legacy in DC's comics. Part of that effort involves something sure to please longtime fans when the publisher reverts its two longest-running series, "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics," to their original numbering.

"Even though most of the books are relaunching at #1, the fact that 'Action' and 'Detective' are returning to their original numbers says something about the tone of what this is," said Johns. "[DC publisher] Dan [DiDio] is psyched we’re gonna get to 'Action' #1000!"

"Action Comics'" numbering will pick up with #957 and "Detective" will be at #934. Both series will be released on a twice-monthly schedule, at a $2.99 price, placing Issue #1000 just over two years away for "Action.

"Action Comics" #1 was published in 1938 and featured the debut of Superman, as well as what we now know as the DC Universe. While starting a year earlier in 1937, "Detective Comics'" most important issue was the first appearance of Batman in 1939's "Detective Comics" #27. The titles ran continuously until 2011 when they were both renumbered with new #1 issues for the linewide "New 52" reboot. "Action Comics" ended with #904 and "Detective Comics" with #881.

Johns also spoke to the symbolic importance of the renumbering to "Rebirth." "[The renumbering] alone, even though it seems small, I think it's a huge symbol of what we're trying to do," he said. "I realize that people will be skeptical, they’ve heard it before, they think they’ve read everything -- I totally get that and appreciate and understand it. They should be skeptical! It’s up to all of us to make our respective books worth your time and money. That’s on all of us as individual creators. Jay [Fabok] and I try our best to make 'Justice League' a book worth the time and money. Everyone has the same goal. To earn it. To give you something that only DC Comics can give you. With 'DC Universe Rebirth,' I absolutely will."

Written by Geoff Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Phil Jimenez and Gary Frank, "DC Universe: Rebirth" #1 arrives on May 25.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby Red leader » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:08 am

Hmm I am still hesitant but I like that they are going back to the original numbering.
Red leader

Postby The Oracle » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:44 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-entertainment-unveils-rebirth-refocusing-867456

Don't call it a reboot — but if fans end up calling DC Entertainment's newly-confirmed Rebirth a comeback, it's unlikely they'd complain too much.

The latest relaunch of the publisher's superhero line of comic books, as detailed at the comic retailers industry conference ComicsPro Thursday, will see all but two series begin again with a new first issue and a new focus on getting to the core of what made their heroes and villains work in the first place. The two series that won't be relaunched will be renumbered in the opposite direction, with Action Comics and Detective Comics restored to their original numbering that started in 1938 and 1939, respectively.

In an interview to promote Rebirth with Comic Book Resources, DC chief creative officer likened DC's move to Disney's relaunch of the Star Wars movie franchise with last year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens, saying, "It has the spirit of Star Wars, it feels like a Star Wars movie. Probably the first Star Wars movie that's felt like a Star Wars movie in a long, long time. That's a perfect example of what I think Rebirth is — a celebration, but it doesn't mean we're just going backwards. It's an echo of the past, but looking to the future."

The shift will begin with an 80-page special issue titled DC Universe: Rebirth written by Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Gary Frank and Phil Jiminez, to be released May 25th. The Rebirth push will then shift across the entire line beginning the following month and running through fall.

The new DC Universe line will consist of 32 ongoing series, 17 of which will be published twice-monthly, with the remaining titles released on a monthly schedule. The new series will be: Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Justice League, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, The Hellblazer, Red Hood & The Outlaws, The Super-Man, Titans, Batman Beyond, Blue Beetle, Earth-2, Gotham Academy: Next Semester, Supergirl, Superwoman, Super Sons, Teen Titans, Cyborg, Deathstroke, Harley Quinn, Justice League America, Trinity and Suicide Squad.

More details about the series, including creative teams, will be released during WonderCon in Anaheim, California, on March 26.

Great, cut my favourite. Thanks.
The Oracle

Postby Red leader » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:47 am

What series Are you sad is getting cut, mykayla?

I just made a new pull and with these bi monthly books I will have to drop like half my DC books. But I will jump on blue beetle if it's Ted and I like the creative team.
Red leader

Postby The Oracle » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:49 am

Bombshells .
The Oracle

Postby Red leader » Feb 19th, 2016, 12:49 am

The Oracle wrote:Bombshells .

Ah I always forget that book exists.
Red leader

Re: DC Universe: The Poo 52 Thread

Postby Dick » Feb 19th, 2016, 1:39 am

N-Nightwing? Am I reading that right? Nightwing?
Dick

Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Red_Robin » Feb 19th, 2016, 8:03 am

I would like to enjoy new stories from DC again. As many of you know, I was a huge fan of DC, but felt let down by the direction many books took after the reboot. I have to say that I'm not optimistic here though, the press release and new teaser video are just full of the same typical 'nothing talk' that spins from DiDio and Johns.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion