Marvel Universe Thread

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Marvel Universe Thread

Postby CROD » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Since I'll be reading a lot of Marvel titles along with all the DC ones I thought maybe a Marvel thread might work on here.

Do any of you currently read any Marvel ongoing titles?

Would you like me to make this thread similar to the DC New 52 one and keep track of every title being released?

Let me know and if you do I'll add a nice banner to this post and start doing a Marvel update every week.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Re: Marvel Universe Thread

Postby MaxSchreck » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:37 pm

A Marvel update every week would be nice I guess .
Any series you could recommend to me ? I mostly read Batman , but I also like other Dc heroes like Aquaman or Superman . Recently I`ve picked up the first trade of Daredevil by Mark Waid . What I liked about was that it wasn`t so different from the Dc comics I usually read and featured a Marvel hero that dealt with actual crimes and wasn`t fighting other heroes all the time ( there was however a nice little confrontation with Cap). I might also buy journey into mystery once I get the chance ...

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Paradox » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Currently reading heroic age Normal, New & Secret Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, X-Men, Astonishing & Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy.
The X-Men are what started my interest in comics, the love of the films and TV shows leading to me buying the comics. Been reading since the House of M and missed about an issue since :oldyella:

As for Marvel NOW I'll be carrying on with the titles I already read and possibly picking up Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye and possible others.

The update thing would be cool - and if you need anyone to do it in your place if you're busy etc. I'd be happy to help out.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby CROD » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:44 pm

I was was reading a few from Marvel a while back but then I dropped them because I was reading so much already.

The only comic I know is good but haven't had the chance to read is Daredevil. Dark Flux suggested Hawkeye but if its the new one that started up then I hated the art.

I want to read:

Daredevil
All-New X-Men
Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Young Avengers

And another Xmen title though I don't know which.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paradox » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:48 pm

CROD wrote:I was was reading a few from Marvel a while back but then I dropped them because I was reading so much already.

The only comic I know is good but haven't had the chance to read is Daredevil. Dark Flux suggested Hawkeye but if its the new one that started up then I hated the art.

I want to read:

Daredevil
All-New X-Men
Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Young Avengers

And another Xmen title though I don't know which.

Whose side are you on? (Schism)
If I were you, depending on side, I'd go with either Wolverine & The X-Men or just X-Men.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby DarkFlux » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Weekly release updates would be cool if you find it worthwhile and we get enough interest here.

Currently reading Daredevil, Hawkeye, Venom and Scarlet Spider. Though im behind on the last two.

From Marvel Now! Ill be trying out Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Indestructible Hulk, Thunderbolts, Deadpool and Secret Avengers.
Miiiiight try FF just cos i love Mike Allreds art.

Also looking forward to Punisher: Warzone.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby CROD » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I'm on the X-men's side. Always :oldyella:

I tried the first few issues of Wolverine and the X-Men and it was good but couldn't keep up.

Is Venom any good? I want Thor too!!!!

Alright time to make a Marvel banner. :adam:
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DarkFlux » Oct 15th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Remenders run was good, though i didnt care much for the Circle of Four mini.
The Bunn stuffs been decent.
I do like the Agent Venom interpretation of the character though.
DarkFlux

Postby Jokerforpresident » Oct 16th, 2012, 12:08 am

Need to catch up on AvX, haven't picked up the recent issues due to a lack of money currently. And I sort of feel like an outsider here, I'm on the side of The Avengers (I couldn't let my childhood hero Thor down even if I tried).

On the subject of Thor has anyone read Fear Itself? If you haven't then I'd recommend it, the plot and concept is pretty good, there's a pretty good scene regarding Caps shield in it and Thor at the end went and did his father, and me, proud. Excellent climax and the Thor vs possessed Hulk and the Thing fight is epic.
Education and armour. Self defence, the tribe. Our language, our leader. They all help us survive.
Jokerforpresident

Postby TFDutchman » Oct 16th, 2012, 1:14 am

I can't wait for AvX to get collected into a massive book.

I often jump all over the place with Marvel as I have a tendency to wait for collected editions (as always) so last major thing I read was Spider-Man's Ends of the Earth, but I'm definitely excited to see how they'll bring an end to Amazing Spider-Man in issue 700, though initial thoughts about the change of Spider-Man in Superior Spider-Man has me a little cautious. But I'm definitely excited to get into a lot of the Marvel Now titles.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Harvey Bullock » Oct 16th, 2012, 7:34 am

Great that this is up here as well now. Love Marvel and DC.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby pryko » Oct 16th, 2012, 8:23 am

Is this new Marvel relaunch a good place to jump on, or is it just resetting the issue numbers? I'm pretty anal about things like this, and like to know the backstory of characters, and I've never read any Marvel title's, but I'd be interested in picking up X-Men, but I only really know the characters from the films. Is there any essential titles to pick up, or any kind of timeline in which the comics should be read?
Credit to Maultest for my signature
pryko

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby TFDutchman » Oct 16th, 2012, 11:40 am

pryko wrote:Is this new Marvel relaunch a good place to jump on, or is it just resetting the issue numbers? I'm pretty anal about things like this, and like to know the backstory of characters, and I've never read any Marvel title's, but I'd be interested in picking up X-Men, but I only really know the characters from the films. Is there any essential titles to pick up, or any kind of timeline in which the comics should be read?

Chances are it'll be a good place to jump into it. They'll recap the most important things you need to know to get up to speed, but having that bit of background won't hurt obviously as all continuity is retained. But Marvel Now as I see it will probably be the best place to jump into all the new titles. Brand new Guardians of the Galaxy that will reform the team after the events of Thanos Imperative, Superior Spider-Man with a new Spider-Man under the mask, the X-Men and Avengers both recovering from the AvX event.

If you're still stand offish about jumping into it, I'm sure everyone here will try and read as many as they can and give their impressions as to how easy it would be for a new reader to jump into it.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby DarkFlux » Oct 16th, 2012, 11:41 am

No continuity is being altered but every book under the relaunch is intended to be a good jump on point. Thats pretty much the entire point of Marvel Now.
The only thing i could think of regarding past reading would be some pf the Avengers books and All New X-Men following up on the events of AvX, but even without that im sure theyd get you up to speed just fine.
DarkFlux

Postby pryko » Oct 16th, 2012, 12:24 pm

May look into this then. I did a quick Google search earlier for an X-Men Reading order and came across this
http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/x-men-read-order-chronology// which is sort of a LOT of reading, as I'm also trying to catch up with some older Green Lantern comics when I get time too
Credit to Maultest for my signature
pryko

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Next

Return to Comic Discussion